Sign in to follow this  
benchwarmer

Wake up folks

The club's financial structure means that this season's target is and always has been relegation.  Am I telling you anything you don't already know?  If you think the manager has lost the dressing room, just bear that in mind.

We're a 'self-funded' club are we?  No I don't think so.  

This is how it works. Go up, get relegated, cop a load of parachute money to give us an advantage in the Champ, go up, get relegated . . . etc. 

Very clever.  Very cynical. 

Take it or leave it, it's up to you.  But what's the point when there's nothing to be proud of any more?

Edited by benchwarmer

I'm amazed no other championship clubs have thought of it.

They must be happy where they are and have no ambition to leave except through the trap door.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It also benefits the other EPL clubs to have teams yo-yoing as our outstanding parachute payments are redistributed to them, it's a win win for everyone.

• Like 1

The stowmarket 2 are very cynical owners what they do is not for the benefit of the club just so they can keep ownership of the club 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

The club's financial structure means that this season's target is and always has been relegation.  Am I telling you anything you don't already know?  If you think the manager has lost the dressing room, just bear that in mind.

This is how it works. Go up, get relegated, cop a load of parachute money to give us an advantage in the Champ, go up, get relegated . . . etc. 

Take it or leave it, it's up to you.  But what's the point when there's nothing to be proud of any more?

Wonder why all these clubs that have been stuck in the championship for 10 years or worse haven't tried it? Sounds so easy!

• Like 3

But what's the point when there's nothing to be proud of any more?

I can imagine how other fans must thank their lucky stars they have not suffered the embarrassment, neh the humiliation, of winning two league titles in three years. The forty thousand of us at Wembley in May 2015, what an indignity for all. A shameful day in our clubs history. Another league title a decade back started the suffering, that continued with our inability to win the FA Cup, having to settle for the boys version. But at least some of our fans have reacted against this constant deluge of failing. The City fans who took to the pitch at Fratton Park to protest at yet another promotion. If only we were a club languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship for 17 years, followed by 3 years in a league even lower. Perhaps you could tell us.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I can imagine how other fans must thank their lucky stars they have not suffered the embarrassment, neh the humiliation, of winning two league titles in three years. The forty thousand of us at Wembley in May 2015, what an indignity for all. A shameful day in our clubs history. Another league title a decade back started the suffering, that continued with our inability to win the FA Cup, having to settle for the boys version. But at least some of our fans have reacted against this constant deluge of failing. The City fans who took to the pitch at Fratton Park to protest at yet another promotion. If only we were a club languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship for 17 years, followed by 3 years in a league even lower. Perhaps you could tell us.

Did Lakey write that for you? 

Yes, none of it is true. It has been a dreadful decade. Worst I have known, and possibly the worst in our history.

2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Funny. That sounds exactly like self-funding.🤓

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Other than Farke just before the season started saying that finishing 17th would be a failure..

Of course it would, the target is 18th and below

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobJames said:

Personally, the last two or three promotions have been like dust and ashes in my mouth.  We not only make no attempt to stay up, but actively target relegation.  If there was a 'non-triers rule' in football as in horseracing, we'd be in big trouble. 

It's corrupt, and what makes it worse is that we have an owner who plays on saintliness and the club's family values.  It's rotten to the core.  It actually makes me feel sick.  

I agree I am fed up with the limitations of our owners time for new ideas and investment 

they are elderly and lacking energy time for new blood to Drive us forward and I don’t mean nepotism Tom

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Funny. That sounds exactly like self-funding.🤓

To me it sounds like we're the PL's prostitute.  Happy with that?

Edited by benchwarmer

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Wonder why all these clubs that have been stuck in the championship for 10 years or worse haven't tried it? Sounds so easy!

Fulham, West Brom and now Bournemouth seemed to have cottoned on!

Personally, the last two or three promotions have been like dust and ashes in my mouth. We not only make no attempt to stay up, but actively target relegation.  If there was a 'non-triers rule' in football as in horseracing, we'd be in big trouble. 

It's corrupt, and what makes it worse is that we have an owner who plays on saintliness and the club's family values.  It's rotten to the core.  It actually makes me feel sick.  

Jesus H Christ, what did the relegations taste like?!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In fairness it was very poetic of bench warmer. Sounds like a Nine Inch Nails lyric. 😊

Usually, when a thread or discussion on any topic whatsoever starts with "wake up" I expect some brand of naïve nonsense best sponsored by Bacofoil. And boy, this has not disappointed.

Simply put, the TV / prize money for staying up far outweighs the parachute payments. Lashing out the cash they did this time was definitely a serious push by our standards with the aim to compete for staying up, just we've started bloody badly.

34 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Usually, when a thread or discussion on any topic whatsoever starts with "wake up" I expect some brand of naïve nonsense best sponsored by Bacofoil. And boy, this has not disappointed.

Simply put, the TV / prize money for staying up far outweighs the parachute payments. Lashing out the cash they did this time was definitely a serious push by our standards with the aim to compete for staying up, just we've started bloody badly.

So it does, which merely underlines our total lack of ambition.

As for naive . . . pot/kettle methinks.

Edited by benchwarmer

48 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Was expecting it from the first day of the season so hardly noticed.  

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Fulham, West Brom and now Bournemouth seemed to have cottoned on!

If that's the case then it's only a matter of time before the parachute system is overhauled.  Let's hope so.

Until you get a salary cap, parachute payments will continue and are great for that reason - but they are a symptom of a problem and not the whole disease. The whole notion that a club would lash out fifty million simply to lose out and only get parachute payments when the TV money reward for staying in is far more is absurd beyond belief.

Exactly. The fact that Farke can't get them motivated to bother against the Champions of Europe might have more to do with it than some bonkers conspiracy theory.

11 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Personally, the last two or three promotions have been like dust and ashes in my mouth.  We not only make no attempt to stay up, but actively target relegation.  If there was a 'non-triers rule' in football as in horseracing, we'd be in big trouble. 

There are always people in this world who can't accept that things are going wrong because the world isn't fair. They are the same people who then need an outlet for their anger by finding a conspiracy and attaching a scapegoat. 

Norwich not playing well can't be that the club aren't prepared to risk administration to stay up, that Farke doesn't know how to set up in the premier league or that some of our players are underperforming.

It must be that it's a conspiracy to keep some fans from their self appointed right to watching their club succeed in the premier league despite nothing, literally nothing, suggesting that this football club is materially different from about 20 others who would also class themselves as in the same position as us in terms of size and history and who also don't have a nice secure premier league place.

26 minutes ago, 1902 said:

There are always people in this world who can't accept that things are going wrong because the world isn't fair. They are the same people who then need an outlet for their anger by finding a conspiracy and attaching a scapegoat. 

Norwich not playing well can't be that the club aren't prepared to risk administration to stay up, that Farke doesn't know how to set up in the premier league or that some of our players are underperforming.

It must be that it's a conspiracy to keep some fans from their self appointed right to watching their club succeed in the premier league despite nothing, literally nothing, suggesting that this football club is materially different from about 20 others who would also class themselves as in the same position as us in terms of size and history and who also don't have a nice secure premier league place.

There are also people in the world who will do anything to avoid facing the truth.

3 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

There are also people in the world who will do anything to avoid facing the truth.

Given that you haven't produced any facts to support  your hypothesis, it is difficult  see how you can possibly claim it as the truth.

What you are basically saying is that we have lost a lot of games and played very poorly and that it is all part of "the plan." I haven't seen anything that makes this even worth discussion - it is just feels like the angry ramblings of someone who sees the world in very simple terms. Real life is just a little bit more complicated than this.(Sorry 😟)

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

If you remember last time we went up it was by accident as it was not part of the plan therefore we got relegated.

Haha TIL, you wonder why we have highly paid executives when, if something is not planned, it happens, and when it isn't planned it does. The only one getting it nearly right is Farke- he didn't expect any points at Chelsea and got it spot on.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

I personally can handle relegation if we’ve given it our best shot. I don’t feel we did last time snd so far this time is even worse. That’s why I don’t think they can afford not to roll the dice and at least do something soon to try snd stay up because frankly I’m not sure I could muster the enthusiasm for another championship campaign under this same regime and certainly don’t see the point in getting promoted again with the embarrassment it brings. And if I’m feeling like that there must be many others who feel the same and many who might walk away.

For me this is a crossroads moment for the owners/Webber. Show you have the ambition or it might all fall apart.