unique

Tzolis passes medical

Yet to be confirmed that he is eligible for Saturday, but with his match fitness ahead of most of our squad, a place on the bench could be on the cards.

8 minutes ago, unique said:

Yet to be confirmed that he is eligible for Saturday, but with his match fitness ahead of most of our squad, a place on the bench could be on the cards.

Legally, UK residents are allowed to travel for leisure so long as they follow all the rules. Since 4am on 19 July, double-vaccinated UK residents and citizens have been able to skip self-isolation when returning from most amber list countries, including Greece.

Hopefully the same rules apply for Tzolis. 

You only have to watch a few vids to realise this kid is talent personified. There is no doubt about that - What a signing, seriously! And the good thing is that I’m sure we can use the signings of Tzolis, Rashica etc to attract further signings that perhaps we thought we couldn’t previously. Another statement of intent and ambition. We mean business 🥊 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

You only have to watch a few vids to realise this kid is talent personified. There is no doubt about that - What a signing, seriously! And the good thing is that I’m sure we can use the signings of Tzolis, Rashica etc to attract further signings that perhaps we thought we couldn’t previously. Another statement of intent and ambition. We mean business 🥊 

Spot on Alex! It bemuses me that there are still posters here who don't understand the genuine ambition of the self-funding "top 26" model that the club adopted. At the start of Webber and Farke's reign we brought in relative unknown talent, some of whom who turned out to be remarkable performers for the club. Now we are buying players with acknowledged reputations coverted by top-tier teams both here and abroad. Just a few years ago one would have been ridiculed for even suggesting that we might attract the likes of Rashica, Lee-Melou, and Tzolis to the club. I have no doubt that the message this sends out to other prospective purchases has significantly increased the quality of player on our shopping list. We might not be welcome at Harrods but Waitrose no longer bolts the doors as we approach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Spot on Alex! It bemuses me that there are still posters here who don't understand the genuine ambition of the self-funding "top 26" model that the club adopted. At the start of Webber and Farke's reign we brought in relative unknown talent, some of whom who turned out to be remarkable performers for the club. Now we are buying players with acknowledged reputations coverted by top-tier teams both here and abroad. Just a few years ago one would have been ridiculed for even suggesting that we might attract the likes of Rashica, Lee-Melou, and Tzolis to the club. I have no doubt that the message this sends out to other prospective purchases has significantly increased the quality of player on our shopping list. We might not be welcome at Harrods but Waitrose no longer bolts the doors as we approach.

Aldi should be our “ shopping Partner” German roots and well known for quality at an affordable price. Check out their baked beanz. 🤣

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Harrods and Waitrose! The British Heart Foundation were turfing us out last time we got promoted. 

This is a really fascinating signing for me. It's a lot of money for a young player and interesting people are saying we shouldn't be relying on Omobamidele as even a back up in the premier league when he is the same age but this signing is seen as being great.

I have a bit of a worry it feels like a FIFA signing where the chemistry rating with Giannoulis is possibly a big factor in the purchase.

Having said that, if there is one person who can get him to shine and become a premier league star it's Farke.

Certainly another exciting Webber deal!

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

This is a really fascinating signing for me. It's a lot of money for a young player and interesting people are saying we shouldn't be relying on Omobamidele as even a back up in the premier league when he is the same age but this signing is seen as being great.

I have a bit of a worry it feels like a FIFA signing where the chemistry rating with Giannoulis is possibly a big factor in the purchase.

Having said that, if there is one person who can get him to shine and become a premier league star it's Farke.

Great point about Omobamidele, I certainly think he's ready for it. He was absolutely colossal in the last few games of last season to see us to the title and without doubt grew with every match. He didn't look out of place, yes he made a few mistakes but he seemed very resilient and with players like Hanley and Gibson around him he will only improve which is why we are not looking to loan him out. He absolutely deserves a crack at the Premier League and I'd say he isn't far behind where Godfrey was when he broke into our team, I actually think he has the potential to be a better player than Ben from what I've seen so far.

As for Tzolis, there's no doubt Dimi probably played a big part in getting him, but like with Sergant as you say the fact we'd already signed players like Rashica has encouraged some of those other deals over the line.

Webber wouldn't be spending this much money on a player unless he thinks they are worth both as an impact now and for financial reward as they develop, I have a very good feeling about this one, feel like he could well be the next Buendia/Maddison for us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think anyone is saying that about AO, they are more concerned about us playing a ‘back 3’ with just one spare (full time) cb in the squad.  In truth of the two I’m probably more concerned about Zimbo.

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Lots of good responses on this thread, this being one of them, Horsefly! I like your supermarket analogy too! 👏

We have some serious talent in the side now, and I think as long as we don’t get decimated with injuries, then I see no reason why we can’t all look forward to a much happier Farke Premier League Mk2! I also note this is also the thoughts of one or two pundits making their predictions for the season as well : )

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Indeed, until next season when we sell both to Villa for £40 million 😂💛💚

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed, until next season when we sell both to Villa for £40 million 😂💛💚

Just don’t, Indy! 😂😂😂

Anyway, it’s only a matter of time before Emi’s begging for a return 😉😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

I can't recall seeing many concerns like this over Omibamidele?

The main issue is the number of backups at CB, not his specific quality. Love Zimbo but his fitness and potential for injury is a major concern now. Leaving us 1 natural backup CB, and that's if we only play 2 there.

Back on point however, whilst we've done great business this window and I am looking forward to seeing all the new signings this season, this is the signing I'm most intrigued and excited about. Hell of a talent and could really be something special.

• Thanks 1

Squad shaping up now. Very happy with business so far. A lot of young players but first team level already, not ones for the future, what's not to like?

I only think we're one signing away now from being very balanced and for me thats a DM. If Skipp somehow still materialises then that would be the icing on the cake, the salient point being that Skipp doesnt need integrating into the team so if he comes last minute he can probably hit the ground running

Well. That's promotion secured from the Championship in two seasons' time.

Yo-yoing status confirmed.

Now let's put the icing on the cake by getting (within financial constraints) that extra central defender of quality in, plus Olly Skipp, or an Olly Skipp playalike,  and think Premier League survival.

Excellent and pretty exciting window though .............. so far!

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 hours ago, horsefly said:

. Just a few years ago one would have been ridiculed for even suggesting that we might attract the likes of Rashica, Lee-Melou, and Tzolis to the club. I have no doubt that the message this sends out to other prospective purchases has significantly increased the quality of player on our shopping list. 

I am not the most knowledgeable of European football but would we really have been ridiculed for suggesting these players? I'd never heard of any of them before we were linked. This is in no way a criticism of the club but have the signings we have made sent a message to others we mean business? Not for me.

Overall, I am happy with our purchases so far and they appear to be good. However, shouldn't we watch them for a bit  before we deem them to be "serious talent"? 

Edited by All the Germans
no good English am me.

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I am not the most knowledgeable of European football but would we really have been ridiculed for suggesting these players? I'd never heard of any of them before we were linked. This is in no way a criticism of the club but have the signings we have made sent a message to others we mean business? Not for me.

Overall, I am happy with our purchases so far and they appear to be good. However, shouldn't we watch for a bit before them before we deem them to be "serious talent"? 

Put simply, yes

😀

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Overall, I am happy with our purchases so far and they appear to be good. However, shouldn't we watch for a bit before them before we deem them to be "serious talent"? 

Rashica, Gilmour, Tzlolis and Sargent are very well known, I'd heard of all of them and pretty much every away fan I've spoken to are impressed we've got them, especially Rashica and Tzolis on permanent deals. The only one who was a complete unknown to me was Lees Melou .

25 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Put simply, yes

😀

Agreed.

Re: Tzolis especially.

I'm delighted with this signing and am genuinely waiting anxiously for confirmation.

However, I am somewhat tempered by the fact that, if he is indeed a wonder kid who should be released immediately to wreak havoc among the Liverpool defence, then why NCFC? (With the  most due of due respects.)

The big names in the game are more efficient, even than us, at picking up on these prodigies yet, apart from some hint that he was "linked" with Man. U., none have pursued him.

Look how quickly that club were prepared to pay an absolute fortune for Antony Martial only to immediately put him in with the youth rather than the first team for quite some time (younger, I admit.) The big clubs have all the wonder-kids on their radar, it goes without say.  

He's good+ and will probably  be a major positive step forward of the self-funding policy and should, upon reputation, aid our survival quest,  but let's not assume that we have the next George Best on the books.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

maybe, at some point, folks might want to stop talking about survival - as if the best we can achieve this season is to not emulate 19/20

Gibson, Giannoulis, Gilmour,Tzolis, Lees-Melou, Rashica, Sargent have all proven themselves at this (similar) level - too many of the previous squad had not

they had moulded together to win the title, but Leitner, Steiperman, Trybul and Hernandez were not PL standard and Aarons, Lewis and Cantwell were realistically youth players who had only just broken into a Championship club

it won't be a survival battle, but one of how far up the table we can finish so as to grab prize money - I don't expect us to finish in the top half as although we have and excellent first team the concern is how strong are the rest of the squad

Flippin' hell. Some hype.

Hope you are right, but having the accolade of being the most relegated club in the history of the Premier League (Premiership,) survival needs to be our first concern.

As with nearly half the league.

Edited by BroadstairsR

21 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Flippin' hell. Some hype.

Hope you are right, but having the accolade of being the most relegated club in the history of the Premier League (Premiership,) survival needs to be our first concern.

As with nearly half the league.

I think we’re joint with WBA on the relegation front…

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

maybe, at some point, folks might want to stop talking about survival - as if the best we can achieve this season is to not emulate 19/20

Gibson, Giannoulis, Gilmour,Tzolis, Lees-Melou, Rashica, Sargent have all proven themselves at this (similar) level - too many of the previous squad had not

they had moulded together to win the title, but Leitner, Steiperman, Trybul and Hernandez were not PL standard and Aarons, Lewis and Cantwell were realistically youth players who had only just broken into a Championship club

it won't be a survival battle, but one of how far up the table we can finish so as to grab prize money - I don't expect us to finish in the top half as although we have and excellent first team the concern is how strong are the rest of the squad

Gibson, Giannoulis, Gilmour,Tzolis, Lees-Melou,Rashica, Sargent have all proven themselves at this (similar) level - too many of the previous squad hadnot

Don’t forget Hugill. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Yes! we would. Rashica was subject to a £25m bid from Villa last season (and he turned them down). Liverpool and Man U were both linked with Tzolis. The idea that a few years ago we would have attracted players of this calibre would have been considered ridiculous.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

7PM and no annnoucment.. Can we panic yet?

8pm has gone. Time to wet your pants

21 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I think we’re joint with WBA on the relegation front…

far fewer than the binners

...........................which proves what ?

• Confused 1