Alex Moss

So… the season opener - Liverpool.

Just days away and not a lot of chat regarding the opening day fixture back at a packed Carrow Rd. What are your thoughts and predictions? I think we can get something out of this, in fact I’ll make a bold 3-2 win to us, and I think many of you will play your part in it too, the boys will be buzzing playing in front of a packed home crowd. If you want to follow Liverpool supporters thread and their views, and of course a few already think they only have to turn up, you can check it out here ⬇️

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/407097-Norwich-City-v-Liverpool-Sat-14th-August-KO-17-30?page=1

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Just days away and not a lot of chat regarding the opening day fixture back at a packed Carrow Rd. What are your thoughts and predictions? I think we can get something out of this, in fact I’ll make a bold 3-2 win to us, and I think many of you will play your part in it too, the boys will be buzzing playing in front of a packed home crowd. If you want to follow Liverpool supporters thread and their views, and of course a few already think they only have to turn up, you can check it out here ⬇️

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/407097-Norwich-City-v-Liverpool-Sat-14th-August-KO-17-30?page=1

They seem to give us a bit of credit be fair to them. But a few do think they're going to stuff us. Time will tell. Can't wait 

I don't feel that it's going to be the expected hiding of 2 years ago. 

They are without upto 7 first team players from either injury or Euro/Copa America resting. 

Yes **** Van **** may be back but surely he's gonna be a bit rusty? 

Im quietly confident for a draw?! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Really? Censored for D1ck van Dyk3?? 

Well the fact his name is Virgil van Dijk may have helped you get past the censor on that occasion lol 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

I thought you’d said ‘white van man’, thanks for clarifying Tim!

We want Cantwell back for this one. And I’m completely intrigued to see what our new signings like Rashica, Gilmour, Lees Melou etc will be like when really let off the leash. I’m not sure i’d even take a draw at the moment. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more confident that this will be season we will make a few people sit up and take notice. I understand people’s apprehensions for sure, yet I can’t feel it. A lot was made of the Newcastle game, but in truth, it was always stacked up against us given the squad limitations we had that day. I also believe our home support is going to be massive for us on Saturday, and you want that to raise the players game to that extra level. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Heart says we will pull of a Man City style shock and win.

Head says we are gonna get pumped anywhere from 3 to 6 nill like we always tend to get when we face Liverpool

My head agrees with your head, and my heart also agrees… with your head.

I’ll go for a 1-4 loss - in similar fashion to 2 years ago.

I’m expecting us to struggle these first few games of the season - even discounting the level of opposition - simply because of how hampered our pre season has been and how late our incomings are ending up.

Factoring all of that in any kind of result in this game would be immense. 

If I was still a betting man, I would plump for City Win Half Time Liverpool FT as the odds are always good for those results. 

However, we will win. 3-1. I expect our forward line to give them trouble all game long. We play our best game v the top teams. This weekend the Liverpool jinx is packed up and sent back up North. 

12 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Try Penis van Lesbian instead. 😉 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting read, especially seeing how little they know about us, one of them is claiming that it's basically the same team we went down with last time (-buendia)...

15 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

They seem to give us a bit of credit be fair to them. But a few do think they're going to stuff us. Time will tell. Can't wait 

I noticed one of their posters asked if we’d made any signings etc or something, and another roughly replied ‘no, it’s basically the same team as two years ago minus Buendia’. For any Liverpool supporter dropping by, we’ve changed half the squad or so since then and bought what we believe to be some very astute signings this summer from across Europe. As for the poster who thinks Pukki’s a shoite Mbappe, the ‘shoite Mbappe’ had no problem putting one past VVD at Anfield did he? Write him off at your peril 👍

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Interesting read, especially seeing how little they know about us, one of them is claiming that it's basically the same team we went down with last time (-buendia)...

Just commented about this very inaccuracy above, Sam! 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I noticed one of their posters asked if we’d made any signings etc or something, and another roughly replied ‘no, it’s basically the same team as two years ago minus Buendia’.

I saw that too and laughed. I think we've spent more than them this window haven't we?

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I noticed one of their posters asked if we’d made any signings etc or something, and another roughly replied ‘no, it’s basically the same team as two years ago minus Buendia’. For any Liverpool supporter dropping by, we’ve changed half the squad or so since then and bought what we believe to be some very astute signings this summer from across Europe. As for the poster who thinks Pukki’s a shoite Mbappe, the ‘shoite Mbappe’ had no problem putting one past VVD at Anfield did he? Write him off at your peril 👍

I do take your point Alex but I’m sure I saw plenty of NCFC prediction threads last season where plenty of our supporters showed a similar level of flippancy to our opponents. I very much doubt that many of those predictions were clued up on Wycombe’s recent transfer business - as let’s face it whoever they sign (within reason) would make very little difference to our opinions…

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

Depends how much we go on the front foot. If we try to attack, we'll get countered with their pace. But, early in the season, and they've had plenty missing, we should look to keep it tidy and tight. Similar to how we played them last time at Carrow Road - we were tight, organised, and put up quite stiff resistance before conceding a fairly late winner. And that was without Buendia.

I doubt they'll be at their fluid best at all, so we're best trying to make it a mess and push late on if still goalless or drawn. If they get the first goal, I think they'll take it, but if we get the first goal, we might get something.

If you offered me a draw, I'd rip your hands off. Hoping for a 0-0 or a 1-1, but think we'll drop a close one.

9 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I do take your point Alex but I’m sure I saw plenty of NCFC prediction threads last season where plenty of our supporters showed a similar level of flippancy to our opponents. I very much doubt how many of those predictions were clued up on Wycombe’s recent transfer business - as let’s face it whoever they sign (within reason) would make very little difference to our opinions…

Absolutely, take that point completely, Hank 👍. I try never to undermine a Wycombe Wanderers or something myself because I just hate that snobbery and arrogance when someone looks at another club and thinks ‘who the f*** are they?’. Conversely, I’m not keen on Bournemouth or Brentford when they think they’re Real Madrid or something either. But I have genuine reason to think we can get something this weekend, and watching them against Bilbao with a strong side told me they can be got at at the back for sure. But it’s fun to be the underdog again - hell, there’s even City supporters on here that call us ‘Little Old Norwich’!  

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 1

And of course in a 90 minute game anything can happen and we know from past experiences that we can raise our game when it matters. I only hope we play well and give it our best shot and that if we end up losing its because we were beaten by a better side and not because of some stupid defensive mistake 😲

For now I am blindly optimistic of a good result!

1 hour ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Richard Van Lesbian, perhaps?

There's only one fixture in the whole of  English football that I'd actually support the Binners in, and it's against this lot. I know we'll go down the usual 3 or 4 nil but any kind of result against them would bring a huge smile. 

Not saying we'll beat them or anything like that...but there really isnt any better time that we could be playing them with various players not fully back from the Euros and Copa America, players not quite recovered from injuries and new injuries (Robertson)

Best chance for any points here in our opening 4 games. Both teams preparation not ideal and while we hope their bad form from last season continues they should have enough to see us off. 2:0 to Liverpool

Wow, massive optimism on this thread, am I on the PinkUn? 🤔

No-one seems to remember our history. Have we had a good start to a season under Farke? Even last year, basically playing an enhanced PL team in the Championship, we struggled to get going for the first few games. Given the high player turnover and the restricted preparations, I can’t see anything other any a Liverpool win, and I am definitely a glass half-full person.

I would love it, love it, if I was proven wrong though.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we play how i know we can we will get something from the game.

I am very optimistic this season that we are going to finish around mid table maybe higher. We deserve a lot of luck this time around as we had absolutely nothing last time.

• Like 1

‘Saturday’s match officials for the clash at Carrow Road have been confirmed as Andre Marriner takes the whistle while Stuart Attwell controls VAR.’

From the Reds forum -
‘I think we are favorites to win this one, but we can't afford to be complacent in any way. Last season, Leeds pushed us to the brink in both matches, and while we ended up beating Norwich comfortably enough in the end two years ago, they were more threatening than the final scoreline suggested.

Pukki showed that he can find the goal in the Premier League as well, even if he's not as dangerous as he is at the Championship level, and Buendia had 15 goals and 16 assists in 39 matches last season. They will find it harder in the Premier League, but they will be better prepared for the step up than they were last time, and they have enough talent to punish us if we are not careful. 

Since we will be starting with an untried pairing at CB, I think it will be important that the midfield is diligent in not giving someone like Buendia space. He has good vision and playmaking ability and can finish with both feet. The Premier League is a big step up from the Championship, but we can't take it for granted that it will automatically affect opposing players.

Playing Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita at the same time could be riskier than playing someone like Milner, who can probably be relied on to be a bit more diligent about his defensive duties. The risk is that we get caught on the counterattack if we get overconfident. If we hit our stride early and they lose confidence, we could win 4-0, but if we let them into the game, we could end up having to fight hard for a 2-1 win.’

Reasonable and fair analysis, but I’m not sure they should be worried about Buendia in this game…

• Haha 1

Well I'm so looking forward to this game, and buoyed by being back inside the stadium.....I still recall Holty's header to equalise at Anfield all those years ago....the pub went absolutely bonkers.....Anyway....

....I just want to see us give a good account of ourselves and give 'em a tough game.....Our new signings are an unknown quantity to our opposition - and could work in our favour.....Them Reds aren't invincible and if we get into them from the off, well, one never knows?.....