Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Norwich v Kings Lynn ***OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD***

11 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

You know its only pre season vs kings Lynn amd we won 3 1 

Hey! Leave me alone

If I wanna celebrate I will 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Upo said:

Rupp, Hugill, Gilmour, Mumba, Cantwell, Dowell impressed. Defense didn't have much to do, so can't judge. Rashica looked a bit rough, but warmed up during game noticeably. Gilmour took to it like duck to water.

This.

A gentle re-introduction to spectating on a lovely sunny evening. The Linnets played well and will hopefully have a better season than last time. Being at a ground where you can change ends at HT was odd but City fans made up the most of the attendance on all four sides anyway. A steward told me that there was a full house as allowed under the current rules and there was plenty of space.

Managed to avoid being run over by Grant Hanley on the way out as he squeezed his Chelsea tractor down a narrow lane so I’d say a very decent result all round.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Placheta needs to start showing some improvement or it’ll be time to cut our losses.

He’s quite frustrating to watch to be honest, I just want to see him attack the flank full throttle, but he doesn’t seem to want to take players on at pace, knock the ball past them and cause a bit of panic, or certainly not to the extent I was expecting anyway. Appears lacking in genuine belief, though I might well be wrong. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Placheta needs to start showing some improvement or it’ll be time to cut our losses.

Everytime he gets the ball he cuts inside.  With his pace I expect to see him race down the wing and cross.

Edited by Harry53
Typo

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

Everytime he gets the ball he cuts inside.  With his pace I expect to see him race down the wing and cross.

While I agree with you the problem is that we’ve never really played like that, when players get wide high up the pitch they have generally done what he did last night

11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How can you ignore that Hugill bossed the game for a long peroid up top? I know a certain small but loud number on here who hates having to give him any credit and would rather see him sold for pennies to a Bolivan 3rd tier side

But he did fantastic, his work rates were top notch all over the pitch always in the right place proved a real wrecking ball and meance always managing to scare the defenders and grab the ball by force from time to time and of course got a very good asist to help out Dowell with one of his goals

.. Just a shame he was robbed of his goal by the useless ref

I really will not miss Hugill when he goes. His hold up play and general ball control is not up to our standard  and is behind Adam as a striker. Nice guy but sadly not good enough.

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He’s quite frustrating to watch to be honest, I just want to see him attack the flank full throttle, but he doesn’t seem to want to take players on at pace, knock the ball past them and cause a bit of panic, or certainly not to the extent I was expecting anyway. Appears lacking in genuine belief, though I might well be wrong. 

Is that Placheta making the decision to do that himself or is he following instructions?

Max overwhelmingly does that on the right wing, it could we be an instruction regarding keeping possession and only making runs like that in certain circumstances. 

• Like 2

Just now, Number9 said:

Is that Placheta making the decision to do that himself or is he following instructions?

Max overwhelmingly does that on the right wing, it could we be an instruction regarding keeping possession and only making runs like that in certain circumstances. 

Could well be, but the only problem is that Max actually does take on players with total confidence and will knock the ball past a player at pace - Placheta seems more hesitant to fully step on the gas, whereas Max will frequently. Just looks a little unconfident to me but I’ve certainly not given up hope - I think there’s more to come there. 

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Could well be, but the only problem is that Max actually does take on players with total confidence and will knock the ball past a player at pace - Placheta seems more hesitant to fully step on the gas, whereas Max will frequently. Just looks a little unconfident to me but I’ve certainly not given up hope - I think there’s more to come there. 

He is undoubtedly a work in progress. I would guess he is being asked to develop his playing style to adapt to the way the whole club plays and that he isn't finding it easy.  Converting from a dashing down the wing and either crossing or shooting kind of player to a more complete player who has to link up play more and also do more defensively will take time. Of course we want that pace used to good effect in attack, but to develop into a top player, he will need to be less one dimensional and develop his alround game - which will take a bit of time.  If it all clicks for him, should be a heck of a player with his pace. 

33 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I really will not miss Hugill when he goes. His hold up play and general ball control is not up to our standard  and is behind Adam as a striker. Nice guy but sadly not good enough.

I think he’s a good guy abs someone we will miss as a character in the squad if he goes but I do have to agree his clumsiness sticks out when you watch us play, even in games like last night where he was reasonably effective. Can’t fault his heart and attitude but feel we are so geared to playing with a striker who plays on the shoulder of the defender we need a more “similar” Pukki back up 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Hey! Leave me alone

If I wanna celebrate I will 🙂 

Fair point. I was in a foul mood last night I apologise 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I think he’s a good guy abs someone we will miss as a character in the squad if he goes but I do have to agree his clumsiness sticks out when you watch us play, even in games like last night where he was reasonably effective. Can’t fault his heart and attitude but feel we are so geared to playing with a striker who plays on the shoulder of the defender we need a more “similar” Pukki back up 

When we brought in Hugill, Farke said it was to bring something different to the squad. He was never intended to be a Pukki replacement and there were several times last season where our approach was very different than just playing to Pukki's attacking style.

We may sign a player to enherit Pukki's mantle, but I suspect that would be with the idea that Idah, who is 6'3", could be that alternative option going forward, or a better allrounder at least.

* Walking Football Norwich have turned down the offer to take Hugill on loan, their manager saying that he 'didn't think he would be able to keep up with the pace of our game"

I'm playing in an over 70s Walking Football tournament on Sunday at Ottery St Mary for the mighty Troon (not Scotland). Teams from as far afield as Bournemouth. Any of you more mature posters should take it up. Really recommend it.

Scouts will be there so I watched Todd very closely last night for a couple of moves.

55 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He always manages to speed and dribble his way past players and up to the top of the pitch but then soon as he gets near the goal he clearly panics, starts standing around with the ball for much too long allowing defenders to get back and then goes and shoots the ball a mile wide.. Or just passes it back

The difference between Placheta and Rashica was clear as daylight last night. Placheta looked a little too nervous and tired like he always does, while Rashica looked like he was in his element and ready for nonstop attacking acton

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Placheta does need to produce more, and we cannot afford to wait for him to get up to speed, so he needs to sort that out pdq.

He was static as the Kings Lynn goalscorer sniffed for the rebound. Now I know it's pre season and they may have been beasted a bit in training, but it's not a good habit to get into.

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Hugill didn't look clumsy to me. Actually I have nothing but good things to say about his performance yesterday.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

ha ha ha

good to see satire isn't dead

otherwise, a bone idle waste of space totally out of his depth *

meanwhile Adshead looked confident and composed, Mumba looks an absolute steal for the fee quoted, Sorensen, competent as was Omobamidele, Gilmour had class and promises much in the coming season, and Rashica (Rush about ica) started as he means to go on, Tompkinson needs a better first touch, a good loan should up his game

Kings Lynn, certainly didn't look out classed and were often an equal match for their visitors, albeit a friendly. I expect most in the yellow and green will be wishing those in the yellow and blue all the best next season.

* Walking Football Norwich have turned down the offer to take Hugill on loan, their manager saying that he 'didn't think he would be able to keep up with the pace of our game"

It's like Mr Hyde was interrupted briefly by Dr Jekyll.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Upo said:

Hugill didn't look clumsy to me. Actually I have nothing but good things to say about his performance yesterday.

Ironic that one of the good things you would (correctly) say about his performance would be to congratulate him on grabbing an assist, but given it was a completely shanked shot, he's managed to be both clumsy, and good. The Hugill Paradox, everyone

40 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Ironic that one of the good things you would (correctly) say about his performance would be to congratulate him on grabbing an assist, but given it was a completely shanked shot, he's managed to be both clumsy, and good. The Hugill Paradox, everyone

Nah, he just picked that off Stiepermann.

53 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I thought it was a shot too.

Good finish by Dowell nonetheless.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He always manages to speed and dribble his way past players and up to the top of the pitch but then soon as he gets near the goal he clearly panics, starts standing around with the ball for much too long allowing defenders to get back and then goes and shoots the ball a mile wide.. Or just passes it back

The difference between Placheta and Rashica was clear as daylight last night. Placheta looked a little too nervous and tired like he always does, while Rashica looked like he was in his element and ready for nonstop attacking acton

Placheta was playing wing back, Rashica was AM... so there is a reason why they looked a bit different. One had a lot more attacking freedom.

Also, when the difference in price is something like £7m, one is clearly going to be better than the other. Webber and Farke knew that Placheta was a bit of a rough diamond when we signed him, which is also why he was relatively cheap. Rashica is signed as someone who has performed at a higher level for longer. He's a much more rounded player.

23 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He always manages to speed and dribble his way past players and up to the top of the pitch but then soon as he gets near the goal he clearly panics, starts standing around with the ball for much too long allowing defenders to get back and then goes and shoots the ball a mile wide.. Or just passes it back.

Honest question here, is that because he has often overrun his support so has little immediate option? I've not seen enough of him to know, but have seen that a couple of times...