Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Calm down guys

Obviously it is absolutely gutting to lose a player of Emi's quality, and very odd to sell after a promotion rather than after a relegation.

But I think it is more than obvious that we needed to sell somebody this summer to finance bringing this squad up to Premier League standard.

I would have chosen Aarons to raise the £30m+, but who knows what promises were made to Emi to keep him on board for last season? 

If we promised him a move this summer, in order to keep him to win promotion, then how exactly do you go back on that promise? I've always had a suspicion that this is not only how we got Emi back on board but also Cantwell.

Lets hope that Cantwell can be tempted to pen a new deal, and that this means we get Max for more year?

• Like 1

Aarons will go too I'm sure, but this is the financial model, you cull the squad to make room for new players. The only surprise to me is it's Villa that Emo has chosen and not Arsenal, or even Man City or a top Spanish or Italian team.

• Like 3

Trouble is that it is hard to keep calm when our starting XI is down emi and skipp and our record of signing players at this level, due to wages etc, is hardly very inspiring. We are massively down on talent and it will take some absolute wizardry in this window to now make us more competitive than last time, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Aarons will go too I'm sure, but this is the financial model, you cull the squad to make room for new players. The only surprise to me is it's Villa that Emo has chosen and not Arsenal, or even Man City or a top Spanish or Italian team.

I get that this is what 'self-financing' means, but surely you give yourself a chance of an annual £100m, by staying up.

It is quite odd to lose players after winning promotion, usually teams get the relegation out of the way first.

Webber and Farke going to need to work miracles in the market now to placate fans. If its Skipp and the West Brom bloke for the Emi fee, and then Armstrong and a right back for the Aarons fee, then perhaps we'd actually come out of this with a stronger squad.

I'm not panicking at the moment but I'm gutted Emi has undersold himself and gone to a mid-table side, I'm sure he could have done better (even if it were overseas, e.g. Atletico Madrid)

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Trouble is that it is hard to keep calm when our starting XI is down emi and skipp and our record of signing players at this level, due to wages etc, is hardly very inspiring. We are massively down on talent and it will take some absolute wizardry in this window to now make us more competitive than last time, 

I'll panic if we don't have big signings before 1st July, when pre-season starts.

We need to look at the bigger picture, we signed Brady for £2 million sold for £7.5 million, then reinvested £3 million for Maddison who we sold for £24 million (plus), then reinvested £1.5 million which rose to £5 million for Buendia who we're selling for £35 million (plus). 

From a business POV that can't be knocked and miles away from the days of wasting money on ****e like Naismith and van Wolfswinkle. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Absolutely we are in serious  serious trouble and we still don’t know who else will get sold 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

We need to look at the bigger picture, we signed Brady for £2 million sold for £7.5 million, then reinvested £3 million for Maddison who we sold for £24 million (plus), then reinvested £1.5 million which rose to £5 million for Buendia who we're selling for £35 million (plus). 

From a business POV that can't be knocked and miles away from the days of wasting money on ****e like Naismith and van Wolfswinkle. 

The thing is we never get any better upper championship / very low premier league. We simply never improve 

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Exactly! It could only have been the wages that attracted him. Villa won’t be playing in Europe anytime soon.

• Like 1

Just now, CirclePoint said:

Exactly! It could only have been the wages that attracted him. Villa won’t be playing in Europe anytime soon.

Dunno there. If they keep Grealish, and a Villa-supporting contact of mine says they're sniffing around at Saint-Maximin... would be some very heavy-duty firepower that could really make a fist of it.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

The thing is we never get any better upper championship / very low premier league. We simply never improve 

I'd agree, but I do feel this time will be different, no doubt Farke / Webber will spend more money this summer than any Norwich manager in history and by a long way, whether that's good enough time will tell, but at the end of the day Emi was just 1 player. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'd agree, but I do feel this time will be different, no doubt Farke / Webber will spend more money this summer than any Norwich manager in history and by a long way, whether that's good enough time will tell, but at the end of the day Emi was just 1 player. 

Let’s say we sign three £15 million players (which I doubt we will) none would be better than Emi (a £35 million pound player) nor would it upgrade skipp. So for £45 million we would be down on skipp and emi but up on one other position - an overall net loss. 

the only way we improve from here is with a massive spend- and that just won’t happen 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You seem to have your timeline completely wrong, in fact almost everything completely wrong. 

We bought Brady for £7m, then sold him for £13m, then replaced him with Wildschut. We'd already owned Maddison for a year when we sold Brady. 

We bought Maddison in the same window that we purchased Naismith in, and none of these transfers occurred during Webber's reign.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You seem to have your timeline completely wrong, in fact almost everything completely wrong. 

We bought Brady for £7m, then sold him for £13m, then replaced him with Wildschut. We'd already owned Maddison for a year when we sold Brady. 

We bought Maddison in the same window that we purchased Naismith in, and none of these transfers occurred during Webber's reign.

Old age playing slight tricks 😂, but you get the sodding point🙄, and I never said it all occurred under Webber, please point out where I did? Many thanks 😁

Perhaps this is less than we expect hopefully because we get more upfront to speculate on new signings.  Rather than get the dosh over next 4 years.

I am guessing on this.

But smoothing this move can only give Max motivation to move

Top 26 will be just a memory after failing in PL yet again, and Webber and Farke also memories.

I love how some throw millions of pounds into discussions as if it is petty cash found down the back of the sofa. 

None of us have any idea how covid is effecting football finances especially ours.  At this moment in time it seems a given that grounds will not be able to be at full capacity next season. 

11 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I love how some throw millions of pounds into discussions as if it is petty cash found down the back of the sofa. 

None of us have any idea how covid is effecting football finances especially ours.  At this moment in time it seems a given that grounds will not be able to be at full capacity next season. 

I think we do have a pretty good idea how it is affecting football finances, Real Madrid, Barcelona and allegedly Arsenal are skint. That's obviously going to impact transfer fees at the top end.

£35m is definitely the post-Covid price, lets hope that we have some healthy sell on fees etc to profit should football finances get back to normal and somebody throws £75m at Villa for Emi in a year or two.

• Like 1

Let’s say Max goes as well, for around the £30m mark, we have to spend and we have to bring in 3-4 players of genuine, immediate Premier League quality. We don’t have time for potential, or up to speed, we’ve lost Skipp, Max and Emi, 3 players who were top performers. The model has to be proven to work, if we sell Emi and don’t stay up harsh questions will be asked.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Let’s say Max goes as well, for around the £30m mark, we have to spend and we have to bring in 3-4 players of genuine, immediate Premier League quality. We don’t have time for potential, or up to speed, we’ve lost Skipp, Max and Emi, 3 players who were top performers. The model has to be proven to work, if we sell Emi and don’t stay up harsh questions will be asked.

Skipp is coming back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Let’s say we sign three £15 million players (which I doubt we will) none would be better than Emi (a £35 million pound player) nor would it upgrade skipp. So for £45 million we would be down on skipp and emi but up on one other position - an overall net loss. 

the only way we improve from here is with a massive spend- and that just won’t happen 

Thats uhh..really not how football works.

A 'net loss' because the three players we sign will only be capable of performing at a level you've predetermined without knowing who they are, and then treating each position as having the same tactical value....my god my head can't process this much silly-ness in one night.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

A 'net loss' because the three players we sign will only be capable of performing at a level you've predetermined without knowing who they are, and then treating each position as having the same tactical value....my god my head can't process this much silly-ness in one night.

No it is saying £15m won’t replace Emi- so we will be weaker there 

it won’t easily replace skipp - so ditto 

so before we actually improve on last seasons team we have massive gaps to fill and not enough cash to easily fill them. 

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

.........but surely you must have expected the usual **** to be out in force tonight 🤗

• Haha 1

I’m not really sure why we can’t just let people vent?

We’ve just been promoted and we are selling arguably our best ever player. People have a right to be upset, even if it was expected.

When we get some good news in the next few weeks people can start to take a balanced view and take stock, right now isn’t the time.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I get that this is what 'self-financing' means, but surely you give yourself a chance of an annual £100m, by staying up.

It is quite odd to lose players after winning promotion, usually teams get the relegation out of the way first.

Webber and Farke going to need to work miracles in the market now to placate fans. If its Skipp and the West Brom bloke for the Emi fee, and then Armstrong and a right back for the Aarons fee, then perhaps we'd actually come out of this with a stronger squad.

I'm not panicking at the moment but I'm gutted Emi has undersold himself and gone to a mid-table side, I'm sure he could have done better (even if it were overseas, e.g. Atletico Madrid)

The club don’t care about staying up. They just need to dip into the premier league riches often enough to pay for a few more years of running the club rather than the owners have to put anything in. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CirclePoint said:

I’d say they are currently closer than Arsenal are, who are the only other team who sounded interested in Emi.

Now of course I’m sad to see him go, however if you’re the club the deal arguably makes sense. He was going to leave this summer, and personally I’d rather it’s sorted now than waiting until the end of the window to try and prise an extra few million out of the sale, which is by no means guaranteed after we’ve just had a season of vastly reduced income for all clubs due to lack of fans. We’ve now got two months to find replacements, rather than desperately scrambling for players at the start of the season. If we can sell a top six player and bring in 3 mid table level prem players then it’s a good piece of business in my eyes. It’s a system that has set Southampton up for a decent spell in the top flight after they sold numerous academy products a few years back 

• Like 3

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but what game was it last year when he was out of the team and we played fantastically well?   That should tell you we may not miss him once the season gets under way as we adjust, adapt and get new players in as a result of the income from the sale of Emi and anyone else that might go.

Maddison went....and we improved. That should tell you everything you need to know.  So disappointing as it is that he has gone to a team like Villa, the reality is that we will move on and develop. My own view is that Idah will breakthrough this season, playing wide, as he is exactly the kind of player with pace and strong physical presence that we will need from attacking midfield and even without a direct replacement from this sale, the team will improve and move on. 

11 hours ago, duke63 said:

I believe they will be at full capacity from August 

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

The club don’t care about staying up. They just need to dip into the premier league riches often enough to pay for a few more years of running the club rather than the owners have to put anything in. 

From a business point of view what is wrong with that?

don’t get me wrong it hurts that we have sold Emi