Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With Omabamidele and Zimmermann still in the squad, it would need three injured centrebacks before Farke would need to start dipping into putting players out of position. With the addition of Ajer (or another player) then there should be enough in the squad to have a back 3 as the preferred formation - although I suspect that 4-2-3-1 (or a variation of it) will be the go to formation with flexibility to move to a back 3 in game. 

That is if Omabamiedele is deemed to be good enough. As I said before, we played youth there last time round and whilst it netted us a nice sale in Godfrey, we never saw the best of him in that position really and we always did better with an experienced head there.

If people talk of playing Ajer in DM then that is four CB's on the pitch at once. Which just leaves Omabamidele on the bench.

We honestly don't have the personnel right now to play that way without some compromises being made - as I suggested before, that would be Byram and Sorenson being considered as options for the three at the back as well. We'll have to see how the summer progresses. Right now we have Gibson, Hanley, Zimmermann, Klose, Omabamidele, Bushiri and Famewo.

We'll be lucky to have four of those still at the club, either through loans or sales, before the end of the summer.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

Shame as I thought he looked like he had potential but clearly Omobamidele leapfrogged him at this point. 

Wonder how much Charlton would have to pay for the permanent deal.

You’d think somewhere in the 500k- 1million range, or maybe less but with a sell on fee. 

In a way it’s a shame for him, but also a great opportunity as Charlton is a good club that could be a championship side in 13 months. Good luck to him, great he’s made it as a senior professional.

Yet more evidence that we are looking above the current level of CB at the club, I think Omobamadelie will be kept in the building till January, but if Zimbo can get fit and there are no problems with the other, hopefully we will get him a decent loan 

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

Shame as I thought he looked like he had potential but clearly Omobamidele leapfrogged him at this point. 

Wonder how much Charlton would have to pay for the permanent deal.

At 22, he needs to be realising that potential though. 

It's a bit like Soto. In Idah we have a younger, more experienced player than Soto. It makes sense to move him on.

In Famewo, he's now behind Omobamidele, who is younger and now has played at a higher level. Again, it makes real sense to move him on. 

He's from Lewisham which is only a couple of miles from Charlton as well, so he was probably keen on the move over other options on the table? 

Rocky feels like such a waste. Clearly a talented player in there but he's 22 now. Feel like it's too late, and it's a shame. 

Have a feeling hes gonna be sold once he comes back.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It's a bit like Soto. In Idah we have a younger, more experienced player than Soto. It makes sense to move him on.

In Famewo, he's now behind Omobamidele, who is younger and now has played at a higher level. Again, it makes real sense to move him on. 

Yeah, he's one that I think might have had a chance if we'd not gone up this season.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Soto is only 20, Idah is only 5 months younger.

Cantwell was almost 21 when he made his league debut for us wasn't he?

Every player who comes out of our academy and then makes a living playing professionally is a success, considering the failure rate when it comes to professional football.

Good to see so many former Norwich graduates in League one and League two, and the odd one work their way back up to Championship level like Toffolo. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Every player who comes out of our academy and then makes a living playing professionally is a success, considering the failure rate when it comes to professional football.

Good to see so many former Norwich graduates in League one and League two, and the odd one work their way back up to Championship level like Toffolo. 

Exactly this, and even if they only pull in a transfer fee like £200k / £300k and/or a sell-on, that's the kind of income that keeps an academy ticking over.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I can confirm that is how age works.

Don't try and deflect from the fact that your post was a load of nonsense.

Our decision to let Soto leave with a right for them to buy him has nothing to do with his age. 

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly this, and even if they only pull in a transfer fee like £200k / £300k and/or a sell-on, that's the kind of income that keeps an academy ticking over.

In general I agree but Famewo likely cost us a similar amount when we signed him from Luton as he was a 20 year old with first team experience.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't try and deflect from the fact that your post was a load of nonsense.

Our decision to let Soto leave with a right for them to buy him has nothing to do with his age. 

My post was reciting what had been said by Michael Bailey and on the Pink Un, butter cup. Don't let's fall out because you can't handle a few facts and are creaming your knickers about a player you seem strangely emotionally invested in.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

In general I agree but Famewo likely cost us a similar amount when we signed him from Luton as he was a 20 year old with first team experience.

You win some and you lose some, can sign 20 youngsters at £200k a pop and only need one of them to end up a £15m player to be hugely in profit on trading, plus assume Charlton will be paying some sort of fee for this second loan even if its only £50k.

We had Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis off Luton as well didn't we. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

My post was reciting what had been said by Michael Bailey and on the Pink Un, butter cup. Don't let's fall out because you can't handle a few facts and are creaming your knickers about a player you seem strangely emotionally invested in.

I couldn't give a sh*t about Soto, never even seen him play.

But now I know that you just copy the opinions of Michael Bailey aren't able to formulate your own, then I'll stick to ignoring everything you type in future.

We did get rid of Glenn Middleton because we thought Simon Power was better though didn't we, so if that is true then the club isn't always going to be be proven right. Glenn Middleton back in the first time fold at Rangers for this pre-season after impressing on loan, Simon Power now plays for Harrogate Town. 

I see the Pinkun are linking Hugill with Forest this morning- if that happened you'd have to imagine we have a proper striking option lined up.

2 hours ago, canarycop said:

At the minute it looks like

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Sorensen Gilmour

Rashica Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

That isn't too bad but with other signings to come in and other we already have I think we are looking a lot better than our last trip into the promised land already 

I like the team but I have mixed feelings about our prospects this season.

A part of me gains hope in the knowlede that it is a much better XI than our last PL season. We will actually have some CBs this time around, we're addressing the CMs and everyone, including Farke and Webber, have learned a lot from that experience.

On the flip side of that, I was in agreement with the line of thought that the side that got us promoted wasn't enough to ensure survival. Considering we've lost Buendia, I don't think we've massively improved the first team, even with Billing and Ajer. 

Happy to be proved wrong of course but that's just how I see it at the moment.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I couldn't give a sh*t about Soto, never even seen him play.

But now I know that you just copy the opinions of Michael Bailey aren't able to formulate your own, then I'll stick to ignoring everything you type in future.

We did get rid of Glenn Middleton because we thought Simon Power was better though didn't we, so if that is true then the club isn't always going to be be proven right. Glenn Middleton back in the first time fold at Rangers for this pre-season after impressing on loan, Simon Power now plays for Harrogate Town. 

Oh dear. You are on your high horse about this one aren't you? 

My view is that in Idah and Andy Omo we have two very good, younger players than Soto and Famewo and it makes sense not to hold those players back by keeping them around. 

It's not even that controversial an opinion. Quite why you're picking a fight is beyond me.

Or are you just having a bad day, sunshine?

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I see the Pinkun are linking Hugill with Forest this morning- if that happened you'd have to imagine we have a proper striking option lined up.

Forest would be a good move. I'm happy to see Hugill stay - he seems a good lad around the dressing room - but equally I think he's a good championship striker and not quite up to premier league level. 

We'll see what happens I guess.

I'd be happy to see Hugill leave. I liked the idea of a striker like him when we signed him, but from what I've seen this season he's in no way equipped to succeed in the league above. 

Hope this goes through and the very best of luck to him.

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh dear. You are on your high horse about this one aren't you? 

My view is that in Idah and Andy Omo we have two very good, younger players than Soto and Famewo and it makes sense not to hold those players back by keeping them around. 

It's not even that controversial an opinion. Quite why you're picking a fight is beyond me.

Or are you just having a bad day, sunshine?

Says the man who never picks a fight 🤣

15 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I agree with that stance.

I just think it makes you look thick to suggest age is a factor in the Soto transfer, and making out that its make or break for him, as he's 20... the age Cantwell made his league debut

Oh look, 20 year old Californian man decides that a British winter isn't for him, nopes out to Portugal... shock, horror! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I'd be happy to see Hugill leave. I liked the idea of a striker like him when we signed him, but from what I've seen this season he's in no way equipped to succeed in the league above. 

Hope this goes through and the very best of luck to him.

Have to agree with this. 

I'd be happy for him to stay, but only for his character, which isn't enough unfortunately.

He's a decent player but not suited to our style and that will really hamper us if we were relying on him to start games.

Quick question, are we allowed two loans maximum or two loans from PL clubs? It dawned on me that we may be able to loan Skipp + someone from a European league.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Davitt comment from earlier this week looks increasingly interesting:

'Do not rule out another forward arriving to compete with Pukki. One capable perhaps of actually challenging the Finn for his crown.'

One point that has been made in the past is doubting that we can get in anyone really good, on the basis that they fear they won't get much game time. The Davitt quote suggests that might not be such a concern.

But even if Pukki is still the main lone striker, the likes of Armstrong, for example, who is only 24, might be willing to live with that, on the basis that they think they will gradually take over.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You win some and you lose some, can sign 20 youngsters at £200k a pop and only need one of them to end up a £15m player to be hugely in profit on trading, plus assume Charlton will be paying some sort of fee for this second loan even if its only £50k.

We had Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis off Luton as well didn't we. 

Sort of. I think Max was actually released by Luton a year or so before we took him on after a trial.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Davitt comment from earlier this week looks increasingly interesting:

'Do not rule out another forward arriving to compete with Pukki. One capable perhaps of actually challenging the Finn for his crown.'

One point that has been made in the past is doubting that we can get in anyone really good, on the basis that they fear they won't get much game time. The Davitt quote suggests that might not be such a concern.

But even if Pukki is still the main lone striker, the likes of Armstrong, for example, who is only 24, might be willing to live with that, on the basis that they think they will gradually take over.

I think it is easy to read too much into a one liner in an opinion piece. 

I think the only way we see someone come in to really compete with Pukki is if Aarons and/or Cantwell are sold.

I don't think it is something that hangs off the future of Hugill.