Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Sort of. I think Max was actually released by Luton a year or so before we took him on after a trial.

Both of them were released by Luton I think. Lewis quit football to concentrate on an athletics career but someone from Norwich talked him round to trying football again, Max was deemed to be too slow when he was 14 apparently...

I see a lot of folks going on about age... I think it very much depends upon the position players are playing. Typically CB's and GK's take longer to be the more rounded and useful players than other outfield positions. That is a generalisation but it's not often that you see GK's really nail down a starting position at a PL or Championship club until at least their mid 20's. Often spending much of the time out on loan getting in regular football and experience.

22 is still quite young for a CB, but he does need to get games under his belt. Though I don't want to read too much into it at this point, if we are signing Ajer - that could be a factor as Ajer is 23. At which point if Famewo isn't going to get past him or Bushiri his opportunities will be limited.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think it is easy to read too much into a one liner in an opinion piece. 

I think the only way we see someone come in to really compete with Pukki is if Aarons and/or Cantwell are sold.

I don't think it is something that hangs off the future of Hugill.

Really? Not sure I see that.

Say Billings and Ajer both sign at the £10m and £12m figures mentioned.

The combined cost of all our signings would only just be more than they money we got for Buendia. Obviously I know wages, signing fees etc etc but we should surely be in a position to look at a player in the £10-15m range without selling? There was talk we had a £25m budget pre Buendia leaving.

I see a lot of folks going on about age... I think it very much depends upon the position players are playing. Typically CB's and GK's take longer to be the more rounded and useful players than other outfield positions. That is a generalisation but it's not often that you see GK's really nail down a starting position at a PL or Championship club until at least their mid 20's. Often spending much of the time out on loan getting in regular football and experience.

22 is still quite young for a CB, but he does need to get games under his belt. Though I don't want to read too much into it at this point, if we are signing Ajer - that could be a factor as Ajer is 23. At which point if Famewo isn't going to get past him or Bushiri his opportunities will be limited.

If Famewo is gone than I can't see Bushri staying either.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Really? Not sure I see that.

Say Billings and Ajer both sign at the £10m and £12m figures mentioned.

The combined cost of all our signings would only just be more than they money we got for Buendia. Obviously I know wages, signing fees etc etc but we should surely be in a position to look at a player in the £10-15m range without selling? There was talk we had a £25m budget pre Buendia leaving.

Add in the £5m for Gunn, the likely £1m for Gilmour and then most of the budget is probably getting eaten up (when you consider agent fees, signing on fees, wages etc). To get enough budget to bring in a striker to challenge Pukki would need to be £15m at a minimum I reckon. Just don't think the numbers work without another sale.

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sort of. I think Max was actually released by Luton a year or so before we took him on after a trial.

He chose to leave Luton as he wanted a Cat 1 academy, but then got turned down by Spurs on trial and went a year without a club, 

Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/26/norwich-city-almost-felt-like-home-max-aarons

We ended up with loads of former Luton youngsters because thats where Gregg Broughton came from.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Ins: 
Rashica - £8m+ from Werder Bremen.
Gunn - £5.5m (£2.5m upfront) Southampton.
Giannoulis - £6m AEK Athens
Gibson - £8m Burnley
Gilmour - season long loan, Chelsea.
Total: £24.5m rising to £27.5m for Gunn's deal.

Outs:
Buendia - Villa(£33m+)
Heise - Karlsruher(free)
Tettey - Rosenborg(free)
Vrancic - (released)
Nyland (released)
Skipp - Spurs(end of loan)
Quintilla - Villarreal(end of loan)
Leitner - mutual consent.
Stiepermann - mutual consent.
Total: £33-34m

I could be a bit wrong with some of those figures but that's what we are looking at in terms of spend at the moment.

So we have a little way to go before the amount for Buendia is met. The suggestion of Hugill going to Forrest is interesting. If we can recoup some of what we paid out for him - say even the £3m we paid up front, then if just talking about the Buendia money, that would give us £6-7m to spend on a replacement. I think the Greek striker playing in Holland was available for around that figure for example. So it could make a difference to us signing someone or not.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Add in the £5m for Gunn, the likely £1m for Gilmour and then most of the budget is probably getting eaten up (when you consider agent fees, signing on fees, wages etc). To get enough budget to bring in a striker to challenge Pukki would need to be £15m at a minimum I reckon. Just don't think the numbers work without another sale.

I don't think that is even close to most of it is it?

Basic fag packet maths.

Rashica- £10m

Billing- £10m

Ajer- £12m

Gunn- £5m

Gilmour- £1m

£38m in fees.

So if we had £25m to spend plus £33m from Emi we'd still have £20m odd left. That is before we factor in any potential fee for Hugill. 

Obviously it may be that all the Emi money isn't added to the transfer pot but if we can get someone like Armstrong or the lad we were linked with earlier in the season from VVV then I don't think either would cost that much.

18 minutes ago, chicken said:

I thought he actually chose to leave. They wanted to keep him but he wanted to go out and do it his way...

Just seen teemu's post. Should read whole thread before replying...

Edited by cornish sam

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Both of them were released by Luton I think. Lewis quit football to concentrate on an athletics career but someone from Norwich talked him round to trying football again, Max was deemed to be too slow when he was 14 apparently...

Didn't Max get some sort of private trainer to help him develop as a player?

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Basic fag packet maths.

Rashica- £10m

Billing- £10m

Ajer- £12m

Gunn- £5m

Gilmour- £1m

£38m in fees.

So if we had £25m to spend plus £33m from Emi we'd still have £20m odd left. That is before we factor in any potential fee for Hugill. 

Obviously it may be that all the Emi money isn't added to the transfer pot but if we can get someone like Armstrong or the lad we were linked with earlier in the season from VVV then I don't think either would cost that much.

I think the £25m was including the signings of Gibson and Giannoulis - either way, we don't know if it is £25m or not... Essentially if it doesn't include them, we were going into this summer with £40m... which I find somewhat hard to believe. That's just me though, I guess it's plausible.

Suggestion is though, that covid has cost us £20m+ so would we have had £60m?!!

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Basic fag packet maths.

Rashica- £10m

Billing- £10m

Ajer- £12m

Gunn- £5m

Gilmour- £1m

£38m in fees.

On a self-financed club re. the bit in bold, it won't. I would guess-estimate that around half to two-thirds, depending on financial status, would be put in the war chest and the rest put in to help cover wages/signing-on fees/bonuses and general sink fund for club expenses.

I think the £25m was including the signings of Gibson and Giannoulis - either way, we don't know if it is £25m or not... Essentially if it doesn't include them, we were going into this summer with £40m... which I find somewhat hard to believe. That's just me though, I guess it's plausible.

Suggestion is though, that covid has cost us £20m+ so would we have had £60m?!!

Not according to Michael Bailey who has been pretty adamant those two were already budgeted for but we'll never know for sure.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Basic fag packet maths.

Rashica- £10m

Billing- £10m

Ajer- £12m

Gunn- £5m

Gilmour- £1m

£38m in fees.

You have to add on 10% minimum to each of the ins for agent fees though, and the wage spend will jump massively (most players took a 50% wage reduction on relegation apparently, so on promotion you can imagine the wage bill jumped significantly). The club accounts also stated the club have £44m worth of payments due 'should certain targets be hit' - promotion will be the main target to trigger a large portion of those fees I expect. 

Back of the fag packet maths just don't work on transfer budgets as it is impossible to know how much is committed now, how much in the future and what it is doing to wages, and agent/signing on fees. 

While Michael Bailey guessed the club had about £25m to spend, the PinkUn reporters guessed it to be about £15m. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Back of the fag packet maths just don't work on transfer budgets as it is impossible to know how much is committed now, how much in the future and what it is doing to wages, and agent/signing on fees. 

The matter is further complicated by the way payments are scheduled - how much is paid up front and how much is further down the road or based upon contingent factors. For example, you might well have to pay more if you want to pay later.

I think in respect of Hugill I would hold out for 7-8m providing profit on the initial purchase and someone who is capable of scoring 15+ goals at championship level. Or a player swap deal and cash for Worrall to us.

Edited by jaberry2

49 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think it is easy to read too much into a one liner in an opinion piece. 

I think the only way we see someone come in to really compete with Pukki is if Aarons and/or Cantwell are sold.

I don't think it is something that hangs off the future of Hugill.

Bethnal, I would often agree, but in this case I factored in that Davitt (and Freezer) are plainly getting pretty specific off the record steers from Webber-Farke on transfer targets.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

I think in respect of Hugill I would hold out for 7-8m providing profit on the initial purchase and someone who is capable of scoring 15+ goals at championship levl.

I doubt he would fetch £7-8m in the current pandemic impacted market and aged 29 and at best his previous has been 15 goals in a season, but not every season. I think what we paid for him was probably bob on. £3m rising to £5m with add ons. I'd be surprised, but happy if we could get the same deal to offload him literally a year later.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Bethnal, I would often agree, but in this case I factored in that Davitt (and Freezer) are plainly getting pretty specific off the record steers from Webber-Farke on transfer targets.

I think the steers are when a rumour comes out and the PinkUn asks about the player they get either a 'yes, we are interested' or a 'no, we aren't interested'. It seems that they and Michael Bailey were all completely blindsided by the Rashica deal.

I don't think they get much more beyond that and after the little bits of info they got in May from Webber, I'm not sure they are getting too much more information about overall strategy. 

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think the steers are when a rumour comes out and the PinkUn asks about the player they get either a 'yes, we are interested' or a 'no, we aren't interested'. It seems that they and Michael Bailey were all completely blindsided by the Rashica deal.

I don't think they get much more beyond that and after the little bits of info they got in May from Webber, I'm not sure they are getting too much more information about overall strategy. 

That Nick Ma****er had a link into Webber at one point but they seem to have had a falling out 

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

Why is Mash iter starred?

Swear filter. Ma-sh*t-ter. 

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Rumours on Hugill to Forest, which will further the smiles of all those who want to see the back of him...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-jordan-hugill-nottingham-forest-interest-8128998 

Ex-City striker Lewis Grabban was their top scorer with six goals last season ”. Six? Jesus, no wonder they are looking for another striker.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Ex-City striker Lewis Grabban was their top scorer with six goals last season ”. Six? Jesus, no wonder they are looking for another striker.

That classic Hughton first season. Just wait, next season they’ll be blitzing their way to promotion. 

• Haha 1

If rumous of Jordan Hugill to Forest have any merit and it develops could it even be a loan?..in any case either loan or permanent and then City really would need another striker.

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

If rumous of Jordan Hugill to Forest have any merit and it develops could it even be a loan?..in any case either loan or permanent and then City really would need another striker.

We do even without Hugill going!

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

This is 'as is' at this moment right, considering Mclean's injury? Otherwise I'd be a little concerned with Sorenson in that starting 11. We've barely seen him in that DM role over last season is all let alone the Prem

DM is  Sørensen's main position and according to the Pinkun journos is highly rated by DF and the coaching staff in that role, operating as a double 6 pivot with the CM. He adapted well to the LB role, but I would have liked to have seen him at DM more last season - pre-season may give us a better indication. The double pivot shares the DM duties to a degree and thus takes some of the pressure off the DM.

BBC reporting Michael Olise has joined Palace for £8m. Shame thougt that would have been a decent signing for us earlier in the window. £8m quite a reasonable fee, and he had a great season + was in championship team of the year wasn't he.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

BBC reporting Michael Olise has joined Palace for £8m. Shame thougt that would have been a decent signing for us earlier in the window. £8m quite a reasonable fee, and he had a great season + was in championship team of the year wasn't he.

Incredible bit of business that, £8m is a steal for someone with such high potential. From what I've read, £8m is actually his release clause, which makes me believe Reading perhaps weren't expecting him to kick on as much as he did last season.

• Like 1