Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Byram is:

1. fully fit, and
2. back to anything close to his best, and
3. (unlikely, but) healed to the point where he's not likely to re-injure something

then Aarons can go IMO. Byram's the better defensive player by some way. Aarons is a more modern full-back, but considering we've got Mr Greek No Brakes on the left I'd argue that coming up a league, there's definitely room for a more traditional full back. That said, Byram's definitely shown a knack for getting onto things in opposition penalty areas, just can't finish.

The problem will be that Byram likely can't prove the above points before the transfer window shuts.

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

The problem will be that Byram likely can't prove the above points before the transfer window shuts.

It's a seriously big "if", agreed.

57 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We also have a manager/coach who tends to push players to their physical limits as well. That’s good in the sense it gives us a fitness advantage at times but probably can backfire a bit if you have players susceptible to injuries. 

I think that's the case in modern football in general. Players are being pushed to edge of human limits and that's why you get a lot more injuries, particularly muscular ones, in football nowadays.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agreed. Until he gets a run of games under his belt, whether on loan or with the Under 23s, I wouldn't like him to be considered anything other than a bonus option so to speak, with two other right backs and two other left backs in the squad. He's gone 17 months now without a football match which is a very long time.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's a seriously big "if", agreed.

I think personally I'd want to see a solid 6 months of him staying fit before I'd consider that he could be first choice and that likely isn't going to happen.

I think if we do sell Max then we replace him and maybe Byram can be top backup for both fullback positions. 

Just now, king canary said:

I think personally I'd want to see a solid 6 months of him staying fit before I'd consider that he could be first choice and that likely isn't going to happen.

I think if we do sell Max then we replace him and maybe Byram can be top backup for both fullback positions. 

If we sold Max, that, for me, is the second loan position. They can duke it out with Byram and if Byram stays fit like you say, we could terminate the loan for January, and take/buy another player.

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think at this point Byram is almost ini a worse position than Jarvis. Looking at his injury history he's basically missed a significant number of games every season since 16/17 due to injury. Even if he can battle back you have no guarantee it'll last beyond a few weeks and you have to wonder if he'd be close to the same player we saw here previously. 

I see no reason why he can’t be the same player he was for us before, before he overstretched against Liverpool he had suffered a bad knee injury, yet he was absolutely great for us and as far as I know he’s had no reoccurrence of that knee injury since he’s been with us. I think serious knee injuries are the kind that tend to make you not the same player you were before rather than a hamstring. 

21 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Byram will never play for us again, even if he gets fit somehow he's been out far too long to be Premier league fit. I think he'll be released sometime before the end of the window and end up at a League 1 club. 

He is out of contract next summer but there’s been no hint at all he will be released early. In February he was doing very light work, by the end of the season he was apparently fit to play so I won’t be writing him off yet. You can be sure he won’t have been sat on his backside since, and as we’ve not been told it’s flared up again in those months, I will remain optimistic this ones behind him now until we see or hear otherwise - he got over the knee injury so why not this one. Injury prone or just bad luck? Sounds like the latter to me.

Three at the back: Hanley, Gibson, and Ajer.

Max in even more wing-back role could offset some of Buendia's defensive contribution in midfield and bring his offensive threat higher.

Edit. This would act as a hedge against fullback issues. I wouldn't push Byram too hard in the 1st half of season. Give him time to gain confidence.

Edited by Upo

43 minutes ago, Upo said:

Max in even more wing-back role could offset some of Buendia's defensive contribution in midfield and bring his offensive threat higher.

Edit. This would act as a hedge against fullback issues. I wouldn't push Byram too hard in the 1st half of season. Give him time to gain confidence.

I would like to see a back 3 as an option, especially against the bigger teams away from home. IMO, our 4-2-3-1 depended heavily on Buendia's creativity and he's gone now. Rashica isn't a replacement as he's right-footed and has a different skills set. At Werder Bremen he played in a 3-4-2-1 formation using WBs to alter that to a 3-2-4-1 in attack. When the ball is lost the WBs pull back into a 4-4-1-1 to form an 8 man low block protecting the goal. The result is greater strength in attack, especially counter-attacking with Rashica's pace the new weapon, while also being stronger when defending.

If we add Ajer, who can also play as a DM, he could tweak the formation by moving forward from the back 3 when we have the ball and dropping back when we don't. The other advantage is that Chelsea also uses a 3-4-2-1 and Gilmour is ready made for that system, as he showed in his MotM performance against England where Scotland used a 3-4-2-1. Why are we recruiting players suited to that formation if we are going to continue with a 4-2-3-1 minus Buendia?

13 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

I would like to see a back 3 as an option, especially against the bigger teams away from home. IMO, our 4-2-3-1 depended heavily on Buendia's creativity and he's gone now. Rashica isn't a replacement as he's right-footed and has a different skills set. At Werder Bremen he played in a 3-4-2-1 formation using WBs to alter that to a 3-2-4-1 in attack. When the ball is lost the WBs pull back into a 4-4-1-1 to form an 8 man low block protecting the goal. The result is greater strength in attack, especially counter-attacking with Rashica's pace the new weapon, while also being stronger when defending.

If we add Ajer, who can also play as a DM, he could tweak the formation by moving forward from the back 3 when we have the ball and dropping back when we don't. The other advantage is that Chelsea also uses a 3-4-2-1 and Gilmour is ready made for that system, as he showed in his MotM performance against England where Scotland used a 3-4-2-1. Why are we recruiting players suited to that formation if we are going to continue with a 4-2-3-1 minus Buendia?

Think we've got to bring in quite a few more players before deciding formations to play.... at the minute, we only have 9 or 10 players that we are confident can hack the EPL....   We need much, much more in centre mid as at present all we have is an 18 yr old loanee and was hoping by now they would have found the pace and power and quality needed, ready for a full pre-season.    Becoming a bit of a concern now as we are still miles off any team improvement.   Skipp isn't coming back and If we have to rely on Kenny and Lucas as starters, we're in serious trouble.... they have to be back up only otherwise the formation will need to be 9-0-1.  

Buendia is right-footed just like Rashica!

Know DF and SW have learned some lessons but wonder if they will try to develop a plan B this time?    Think they will stick to Farke's principal philosophy in the main.   Any change would be plan B. 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I see no reason why he can’t be the same player he was for us before, before he overstretched against Liverpool he had suffered a bad knee injury, yet he was absolutely great for us and as far as I know he’s had no reoccurrence of that knee injury since he’s been with us. I think serious knee injuries are the kind that tend to make you not the same player you were before rather than a hamstring. 

He is out of contract next summer but there’s been no hint at all he will be released early. In February he was doing very light work, by the end of the season he was apparently fit to play so I won’t be writing him off yet. You can be sure he won’t have been sat on his backside since, and as we’ve not been told it’s flared up again in those months, I will remain optimistic this ones behind him now until we see or hear otherwise - he got over the knee injury so why not this one. Injury prone or just bad luck? Sounds like the latter to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proven very wrong here 

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Let's see the photos of him holding the scarf please. Full kit etc. 

Yup, use him for the kit launch!

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

According to EADT we've pinched a highly rated youngster, Liam Gibbs, from Ipswich. Entertaining!

He must be ballsy. I actually quite like that - a young player with no first team experience making such a move.

9 minutes ago, Beetehleets said:

Interest from Manchester United and Us. No wonder he turned down the Ipswich offer. No brainer. I hope norwich loan him out to a league 1 club so he can beat up on his old team.

Anyone with a brain turns down Ipswich.

Unless of course they are stuck living decades in the past in which black and white TV was the norm and flares were all the rage, in whch case they can stay there

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 hours ago, Upo said:

If this is going to happen, then just Ajer as a new CB isn't enough. That would leave us with four experienced CB's which would mean an injury or suspension would leave us without cover, both would leave us with two fit CB's and either throwing in someone else to make it work or relying on younger inexperienced players to step up.

As much as the latter sounds great, do we need to revisit how that turned out last time around?

I would say it is unlikely for us to change our formation at least for the first 1/4 of the PL season. Farke has set the team out the same way for a fairly long time now.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

He must be ballsy. I actually quite like that - a young player with no first team experience making such a move.

Seems to suggest he played for the first team 4 times. The taawwwn fans now doing the classic ‘he’s rubbish and a bad apple’ treatment that inevitably follows, must sting! 

6 hours ago, chicken said:

If this is going to happen, then just Ajer as a new CB isn't enough. That would leave us with four experienced CB's which would mean an injury or suspension would leave us without cover, both would leave us with two fit CB's and either throwing in someone else to make it work or relying on younger inexperienced players to step up.

As much as the latter sounds great, do we need to revisit how that turned out last time around?

I would say it is unlikely for us to change our formation at least for the first 1/4 of the PL season. Farke has set the team out the same way for a fairly long time now.

I agree with your reasoning. One thing to remember, however: We have 2 solid fullbacks and can play the usual 4-2-3-1 formation if we're short a CB. 

7 hours ago, Upo said:

I agree with your reasoning. One thing to remember, however: We have 2 solid fullbacks and can play the usual 4-2-3-1 formation if we're short a CB. 

That's my point really. Why would you set up a preferred formation if you don't have the personnel to stick at it? Makes little sense if a suspension or slight knock means you revert to a different formation. You'd want to be able to play it for more games than not wouldn't you?

There is an argument that says that Byram and Sorenson can both play as one of the three CB's. But then we are possibly going into playing round pegs in square holes again... 

57 minutes ago, chicken said:

That's my point really. Why would you set up a preferred formation if you don't have the personnel to stick at it? Makes little sense if a suspension or slight knock means you revert to a different formation. You'd want to be able to play it for more games than not wouldn't you?

There is an argument that says that Byram and Sorenson can both play as one of the three CB's. But then we are possibly going into playing round pegs in square holes again... 

I think it slightly depends on how Farke views Sorenson. When you play a back 3 having central defenders who are comfortable carrying the ball out of defence is important and Sorenson may fit that view. 

I can see Sorensen being one of our CDM's. Prior to joining City I am pretty sure that's the role he played. He is comfortable on the ball, has an eye for a pass but can also get stuck in as we saw when deputising at LB last season

• Like 1

With Omabamidele and Zimmermann still in the squad, it would need three injured centrebacks before Farke would need to start dipping into putting players out of position. With the addition of Ajer (or another player) then there should be enough in the squad to have a back 3 as the preferred formation - although I suspect that 4-2-3-1 (or a variation of it) will be the go to formation with flexibility to move to a back 3 in game. 

At the minute it looks like

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Sorensen Gilmour

Rashica Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

That isn't too bad but with other signings to come in and other we already have I think we are looking a lot better than our last trip into the promised land already 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With Omabamidele and Zimmermann still in the squad, it would need three injured centrebacks before Farke would need to start dipping into putting players out of position. With the addition of Ajer (or another player) then there should be enough in the squad to have a back 3 as the preferred formation - although I suspect that 4-2-3-1 (or a variation of it) will be the go to formation with flexibility to move to a back 3 in game. 

Playing 3 CBs needn't be a major change if DF is creative in his use of a back 3 as an option. Ajer can play at CB or DM and could move into midfield when we have the ball and drop back when it's lost. That's also true of Sørensen, who is a DM who can also play as a CB. If we sign both Billing and Ajer this would make even better sense as Billing, like McLean and Rupp, can also play as an AM, as he has been doing for Bournemouth. That would allow us to play a 3-4-2-1 when defending and a 2-4-3-1 when attacking as Billing (or McLean or Rupp) moves up to AM and then drops back to CM when the ball is lost. This is what we do in the current 4-2-3-1 when the FBs move forward to support the attack, thus creating a 2-4-3-1. The result is the same strength in attack, but added strength in defence. This is why signing Ajer and Billing could make such a difference.

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

At the minute it looks like

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Sorensen Gilmour

Rashica Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

That isn't too bad but with other signings to come in and other we already have I think we are looking a lot better than our last trip into the promised land already 

This is 'as is' at this moment right, considering Mclean's injury? Otherwise I'd be a little concerned with Sorenson in that starting 11. We've barely seen him in that DM role over last season is all let alone the Prem

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Famewo too

edit: and like that he moves 😂

Edited by Dr Greenthumb