Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Cant complain about our transfer spend this time round, wonder if any geniuses will still say Delia pocketed a load of cash...I wonder how the Delia Out Facebook group is doing 😅😅

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

Comparing squads is a fundamentally pointless debate at this point. Rashica, Sargent, Lees Melou and Tzolis are all entirely unproven in this league, we don't know how the Buendia loss will affect us or how key players like Hanley or Pukki will step up.

On paper you can argue either way. The attack is more diverse and the defence is more solid than last time round but one of our biggest weaknesses from our last Premier League season (a lack of midfield protection for the back 4) doesn't seem to have been solved. So until we see them on the pitch it's just impossible to call.

1) It's not otherwise people wouldn't find so much intrigue in it. Also, we can discuss merits on paper. The issue is people like to dismiss that as it doesn't suit their argument or agenda. I don't think it is possible to say that we don't look better prepared in the vast majority of departments.

2) Nope. Our biggest weakness for the vast majority of the season was not having a stable CB pairing often meaning that we were robbed of the DM options due to using them to plug the CB position. Confidence in defending spread from there. That said, we did win with both Tettey and Amadou at CB Vs Man City I believe... 

Just now, hogesar said:

Cant complain about our transfer spend this time round, wonder if any geniuses will still say Delia pocketed a load of cash...I wonder how the Delia Out Facebook group is doing 😅😅

Exactly. When you've three signings near and in the eight-figure realm, an ultra-promising talent as a loan signing in midfield, and a proven back-up goalie who knows us already, you can't say Webber's been slacking and sending Farke into battle without a gun (Gunn) this time.

Another centre-half, ideally one who can play defensive midfield, and we're set, I think.

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Remember we didn't see Rashica for almost a week before he was announced via the media day, I don't think that was due to a marketing ploy, but due to having to isolate.  The fact Sargent is straight into a full media roll out implies he is not isolating so straight into full squad work I reckon.

Sargent has come from Germany which recently went to Green - so no isolating.

Tzolis is in Greece, which is currently Amber and requires isolating if he has not been fully vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

They're still trying to figure out how you get a banner in the air I think..... 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm a staunch Delia defender as I'm sure you know, but to be fair, we've only more-or-less broken even so far. 

Obviously Tzolis will change that, as will any defensive reinforcements.

• Like 1

We still have the loan spot, and still two  more foreign loan spots if required, and there is still plenty of time to get bodies through the door that we may want, I'm still hoping for more especially a DCM.

Tzolis tomorrow then.

I think we’ve made some very promising attacking signings but we do still need that CDM otherwise it could all still be undermined if we are shipping 2/3 goals a game. 

39 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

This is an interesting point that is largely overlooked. Absolutely no disagreement from myself that we need a CDM coming in. But I don’t see why Skipp should be expected to have the same impact in the PL as he did in the Championship, why would it be his performances stay the same yet say Grant Hanley’s reduce? I don’t buy that. It may well be that Webber pulls in some CDM from Italy or wherever that turns out to be an absolute rock, so I for one am not clinging on to the return of Skipp - though I’d be quite happy if he did come back too. Irrespective, we will get one, I have no worries about that.

Whether it’s Skipp or someone else we just need someone who can play that sitting role and screen the defence. I do think Sorensen could do it but we seem reluctant to give him a go there. 

And everyone saying we need a CDM, everyone forgot about McLean and sorensen it seems.

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Whether it’s Skipp or someone else we just need someone who can play that sitting role and screen the defence. I do think Sorensen could do it but we seem reluctant to give him a go there. 

I do hope that Sorensen is that answer, that's why he was brought here afterall. I get the impression after today's Paddy and Conner's Q&A that Farke doesn't think so?! 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yep, Sorensen is an interesting one, Jimbo. I too would really like to see what he could do after a run of games in his natural position, it’s almost easy to forget how well he did at LB for us once he was up to speed there. A CDM signing is something I think this board is all unanimous on though! (for once 😝), we want a bit of a unit in there who can break up play and be a bit dirty if needs be, it’s the biggest missing piece in the jigsaw for me. I think we’ve just got to trust Webber on this one, and judge them at the end of the window as they’ve asked - the fact both Farke and Webber keep repeating this with an air of confidence really does make me feel confident that they know full well something goods happening behind the scenes 👍

6 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

And everyone saying we need a CDM, everyone forgot about McLean and sorensen it seems.

McLean isn’t a CDM and has never been expected to be the last man back in the midfield. I’m also not quite convinced Sorenson covers enough ground / is aggressive enough to play that spot for us - not in the same way as Skipp did for us last year anyway. In fairness to Sorenson though we’ve not really seen a great deal of him at CDM. So who knows?

But I personally think an upgrade or loan in that spot before the end of the window would round us off nicely.

I swear Sorenson plays CB for Denmark U21? Surely if they feel he can play CB then he could do a job at CDM

13 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

I do hope that Sorensen is that answer, that's why he was brought here afterall. I get the impression after today's Paddy and Conner's Q&A that Farke doesn't think so?! 

What makes you think that re. Farke and his views on Sørensen then? That does beg the question of whether Farke's going to give Sørensen the Godfrey treatment and try to make a ball-playing centre-half out of him. He does usually play there for Denmark U21s at least.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

McLean isn’t a CDM and has never been expected to be the last man back in the midfield. I’m also not quite convinced Sorenson covers enough ground / is aggressive enough to play that spot for us - not in the same way as Skipp did for us last year anyway. In fairness to Sorenson though we’ve not really seen a great deal of him at CDM. So who knows?

But I personally think an upgrade or loan in that spot before the end of the window would round us off nicely.

I think Skipp was just too good and we expect another one of him which sadly I can't see. McLean has played in front of the back 4 many times, when we where last in prem we played 4231, McLean and tettey for a few games, with steipi buendia and cantwell the 3. Im not going all I told you so, but he can play there and do a job if needed or light in tje position. And your point or sornesen is a very good one. We've only seen him as a LB 😏

4 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I think Skipp was just too good and we expect another one of him which sadly I can't see. McLean has played in front of the back 4 many times, when we where last in prem we played 4231, McLean and tettey for a few games, with steipi buendia and cantwell the 3. Im not going all I told you so, but he can play there and do a job if needed or light in tje position. And your point or sornesen is a very good one. We've only seen him as a LB 😏

McLean plays alongside the CDM but in a more advanced / less defensive role. The example you gave is not McLean as the CDM but Tettey!

I do agree though that he could potentially ‘do a job’ there, most definitely in the championship against weaker opposition, but those kind of compromises coming into a prem season would be unlikely to see us through IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

McLean plays alongside the CDM but in a more advanced / less defensive role. The example you gave is not McLean as the CDM but Tettey!

Yeah very true. Will be interesting to see what we come up with. I feel skipp will be in spurs squad week in week out this season. He's much better than most of the midfielders they have 

A younger version of Tettey is the final piece in the jigsaw in my view. Get that right we can probably get away with the CBs we have although in an ideal world I’d prefer another first team level option there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s what I was thinking, TY - if he’s flying to England tomorrow to sign on the dotted line then I can’t see him playing for PAOK on Thursday - unless we send him out on a massive 3 day loan 😝

Would be exciting to see him against Liverpool. Imagine his feelings going from playing Bohemians to lining up against Mohammed Salah! 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

A younger version of Tettey is the final piece in the jigsaw in my view. Get that right we can probably get away with the CBs we have although in an ideal world I’d prefer another first team level option there. 

I... Actually agree with Jim.

Goodness 😂

52 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm a staunch Delia defender as I'm sure you know, but to be fair, we've only more-or-less broken even so far. 

Obviously Tzolis will change that, as will any defensive reinforcements.

I was basing on Tzolis, and our wages which will be significantly higher and just as much a commitment.

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Would be exciting to see him against Liverpool. Imagine his feelings going from playing Bohemians to lining up against Mohammed Salah! 

Think he may have to isolate although it’s unclear 

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Think he may have to isolate although it’s unclear 

He will for a minimum of 5 days and then will likely take the test to release one, and bar a positive, will be out and involved with the group by the weekend, no chance of being in the team for Saturday I’m afraid. Won’t make it in time for Saturday and Farke will be keen to stress the point of not putting too much pressure on a young lad who’s just moved countries. That will mean giving him time to get up to speed with the squad, and then maybe a few bench appearances first.

Edited by birchfest

I like the signings we have made to date and we are gradually strengthening the core squad (e.g Sargent is an upgrade on Hugill, Rashica an upgrade on Hernandez, and you would like to presume Tzolis an upgrade on Placheta). 

As the vast majority have stated though, it can only be rated a successful window if we bring in genuine defensive upgrades and most crucial of all, a competent DM. The fact you could argue in those last 10 games in the EPL that Tettey was our most consistent player speaks volumes.

An average fullback (Williams), decent promising CB (Worral) and crucial DM (Skipp/another like) and it will be a success.

A final point, yes we have spent more this time round (£10m purchases) but we also didnt make a £30m sale last time round.

Overall, we’re heading in the right direction, the next few weeks will be crucial.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks McLean can ‘do a job’ as the CDM watched no football last time we were in this division. He lacks the physicality and was often barged off the ball - this would also be the issue with Sorenson.

We have plenty of skill in midfield but where we are lacking is muscle and size compared to the units in the lower premiership teams- hence we were bullied off it and won so few games amongst bottom half sides.

This hasn’t - as yet -been addressed. And it is a bit of an issue given our model to sign teenagers with potential over older players. We continue to sign very young and fast athletes but we could do with a lump or two to give us some bite.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don't really think you can say 'improved with another 12 months' about the players who are still here from last year - certainly not Krul and Pukki who are only getting older. Otherwise we'd be saying it was a great transfer window if we sold and bought no one... But we all know if you standstill in football then you go backwards!

I understand you wanted to compare with the Huddersfield game at the start of last season, but surely it makes sense to look at the team who just ended the last campaign? So I'd also discount Giannoulis and Gibson as new players considering they were here for at least half of last season and were always expected to sign (though I agree with your comparisons to Quintilla and the 19/20 Godfrey). 

On the 3 x other changes: 

Skipp versus Gilmour - I think Gilmour is absolutely the better footballer than Skipp, and will go further in his career, but I would say Skipp's role to the team last season was a more vital one to our success - it is a role I fear we will miss more than we will benefit from Gilmour's attributes in possession - IMO.

Buendia versus Rashica - well I don't want to be unfair on the new guy, but its hard to imagine him proving to be better than Buendia in an individual sense - as that would render him better than the best player I've ever seen for NCFC. Time will tell, and I am of course hopeful Rashica can be successful, but he's going to probably get a lot of unfair criticism this season for 'not being Buendia' as you alluded to.

McLean versus PLM - I don't want to write off McLean yet but the early signs on PLM are very good, I think he would be the preference for Farke too to start the season, so agree with you on that one. 

Skipp and Buendia were head and shoulders our two best players last season, I think most people are agreed on that, so it is undoubtedly going to be a very tall order to have 2 new players come in to their places and perform anything close to those two. I think we are going to be more reliant on other players stepping it up a level if we are going to be successful (i.e. PLM, Cantwell, Tzolis if he signs, Dowell etc).

Our strength in depth with these new signings is clearly looking like it will take us up a notch or two, and end up as a better squad and hopefully a much stronger starting 11 (Tzolis and a CDM??), but I think in its current position - purely just looking at the starting 11 - I would opt for last year's over this year's. 

I think the fact that Hanley was voted into second place in POTS indicates most people did not agree to that.

Edited by LaUnionCanary

41 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Anyone who thinks McLean can ‘do a job’ as the CDM watched no football last time we were in this division. He lacks the physicality and was often barged off the ball - this would also be the issue with Sorenson.

We have plenty of skill in midfield but where we are lacking is muscle and size compared to the units in the lower premiership teams- hence we were bullied off it and won so few games amongst bottom half sides.

This hasn’t - as yet -been addressed. And it is a bit of an issue given our model to sign teenagers with potential over older players. We continue to sign very young and fast athletes but we could do with a lump or two to give us some bite.  

Agree with most of that except they don't necessarily have to be a lump; Kante is one of the best in the world yet is diminutive.

I still think Lewis O'Brien could do a job for us, tenacious and decent with the ball.

McLean is too weak on the tackle and I honesty don't think Farke feels Sorensen is up to it either.