Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

38 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Be fair - I was the one who pointed out that the squad is a bit better overall but was also pointing out that we haven’t, in fact, improved the starting XI very much. And anyone who is impartial would agree / not least when skipp is factored in. 
Now given that we failed so woefully last time/ setting all sorts of horrid records- that should ring a few alarm bells. 

You did say that about the squad, but you didn't analyse it. Instead Bovril took your analysis of the supposed starting eleven and used that to claim the squad was worse.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute nonsense, far from the first time from you too. 

You just need to look at the midfields to see how much we’ve come along since the last Premier League campaign. Leitner, Trybull and Stiepermann up against Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Rupp is an absolute no contest. 

If we had Olly Skipp in our squad, this ridiculous point wouldn’t keep getting made. 

We have the best first eleven we’ve had in years with every reason to be optimistic. What we need now is to improve the depth of the squad, Those that agree with Dean Moaney here should take a good look at themselves, because there’s no basis for this view beyond being blindly negative. 

Our 11 last season was better than the current 11. Not sure how anyone could argue against that tbh. 

Edit - we aren't far off building a stronger first 11 either though, 2 more permanents after sargent and 1 loan I suspect. 

Edited by priceyrice

5 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Our 11 last season was better than the current 11. Not sure how anyone could argue against that tbh. 

Ok, let's look at it;

GK Krul - Krul - Improved with another 12m, confidence of being among Dutch squad can't be underestimated
DR Aarons - Aarons - Improved with another 12m, the fact he's here still is brilliant
DL Quintilla - Dimi - I loved Quintilla, but Dimi is the better player
DC Godfrey - Gibson - Gibson offers more experience including in the Premier League.
DC Hanley - Hanley - I think last season has been transformational for Hanley. Regular football, impressive in Euros. 12m on, he's improved a lot.
MC - Skipp - Gilmour - Skipp was an absolute baller, but I'm encouraged by Gilmour. I know they're different players, but if you put a gun to my head, I'd pick Skipp, but I would not be surprised if in 12m time after we've seen the effect he has, we are singing a different tune.
MC - McLean -- Lees-Melou - Again, I'm a massive fan of McClean - but I think in Lees-Melou we've signed a player who is exciting.
AMR - Buendia (I know in fact Cantwell played here and Onel played on the left vs Huddersfield in the opening game of last season, but I don't think this argument is valid without Buendia's inclusion) - Rashica - Again, like Lees-Melou, Rashica is an exciting prospect, but filling Buendia's shoes is a big ask. I agree that Buendia is a big loss to the side.
AMC - Dowell - Dowell - I think he came into his own at the end of last season, and I really hope he carries that momentum into the new season. Again, I think Dowell now benefits from Dowell of 12m ago having found stability and playing regularly.
SC - Pukki - Pukki - Again, like Krul - 12m of scoring consistently again, proving he's not a one season wonder and leading his team into Euros I think is important.

For me, I think there's absolutely an argument to be had.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This sort of comparison is impossible to make. You aren't judging Rashica, you are marking him down because he isn't Emi.

You are right, that its impossible. That does not mean though that I would not be excited to see Rashica in action, but in straight comparison its hard to believe he could immediately during his first season match the level Emi provided. Therefore, if direct comparison would be made, I'd rate Emi lots higher at the moment. But it also might be that in a year or two, Rashica is even better than him. In addition they seem to be very different kind of player. 

So yes, direct comparison is silly and therefore such lists are just a fun game of opinions and not to be taken too seriously. 

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ok, let's look at it;

GK Krul - Krul - Improved with another 12m, confidence of being among Dutch squad can't be underestimated
DR Aarons - Aarons - Improved with another 12m, the fact he's here still is brilliant
DC Godfrey - Gibson - Gibson offers more experience including in the Premier League.
DC Hanley - Hanley - I think last season has been transformational for Hanley. Regular football, impressive in Euros. 12m on, he's improved a lot.
MC - Skipp - Gilmour - Skipp was an absolute baller, but I'm encouraged by Gilmour. I know they're different players, but if you put a gun to my head, I'd pick Skipp, but I would not be surprised if in 12m time after we've seen the effect he has, we are singing a different tune.
MC - McLean -- Lees-Melou - Again, I'm a massive fan of McClean - but I think in Lees-Melou we've signed a player who is exciting.
AMR - Buendia (I know in fact Cantwell played here and Onel played on the left vs Huddersfield in the opening game of last season, but I don't think this argument is valid without Buendia's inclusion) - Rashica - Again, like Lees-Melou, Rashica is an exciting prospect, but filling Buendia's shoes is a big ask. I agree that Buendia is a big loss to the side.
AMC - Dowell - Dowell - I think he came into his own at the end of last season, and I really hope he carries that momentum into the new season. Again, I think Dowell now benefits from Dowell of 12m ago having found stability and playing regularly.
SC - Pukki - Pukki - Again, like Krul - 12m of scoring consistently again, proving he's not a one season wonder and leading his team into Euros I think is important.

This comparison is very mixed up. Why are you taking 12 months growth into account? The season ended 2 - 3 months ago so I think you would be better off comparing the squad at the end of the season rather than the start, as webber has claimed the team will be better at the end of the window than the team at the start of the window. Also, Godfrey wasn't in our team last year, assume that was just a mistake. 

You can use whatever narrative you like but I would strongly argue the team is objectively weaker now than it was last season, we've lost our two best players, as voted by the fans, one of them being the championship player of the season. 

• Like 1

Drmic is better than Hugill when he can be bothered - which he wasn’t when here 

And as much as I am accused of not factoring in improvements - many forget that - at the time- we thought Leitner and Amadou were going to be mustard etc…

Bottom line - better overall squad but not a better overall team. And that is concerning 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, WSM said:

https://www.sportime.gr/paok/apoklistiko-o-tzolis-eklise-sti-norits-souper-deal-me-135-ekat-gia-ton-paok/

apparently Tzolis done deal - 11 million euros + 2.5 in bonus

17.5% resale rate (quite high!)

Excellent/ an exciting addition. Now let’s get the skipp replacement (fingers crossed it is skipp) and Cb sorted 

Well, Sargent, Rashica, and now Tzolis. All of them near or indeed eight figures in one window, and all of them attacking players.

Fair play to Webber, he's pushed for it.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, Sargent, Rashica, and now Tzolis. All of them near or indeed eight figures in one window, and all of them attacking players.

Fair play to Webber, he's pushed for it.

Now to invest in the defence since we have stacked out our attack..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WSM said:

https://www.sportime.gr/paok/apoklistiko-o-tzolis-eklise-sti-norits-souper-deal-me-135-ekat-gia-ton-paok/

If that 11m euro figure is right for the basic fee then it converts to about £9.3m, which would be a club record. Davitt is saying the basic fee for Sargent is just below the current record, which I think is about £8.5m.

12 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

This comparison is very mixed up. Why are you taking 12 months growth into account? The season ended 2 - 3 months ago so I think you would be better off comparing the squad at the end of the season rather than the start, as webber has claimed the team will be better at the end of the window than the team at the start of the window. Also, Godfrey wasn't in our team last year, assume that was just a mistake. 

You can use whatever narrative you like but I would strongly argue the team is objectively weaker now than it was last season, we've lost our two best players, as voted by the fans, one of them being the championship player of the season. 

I'm taking 12m into account because I'm comparing the squad as it stood vs Huddersfield against now. That's 12m time difference. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ok, let's look at it;

I don't really think you can say 'improved with another 12 months' about the players who are still here from last year - certainly not Krul and Pukki who are only getting older. Otherwise we'd be saying it was a great transfer window if we sold and bought no one... But we all know if you standstill in football then you go backwards!

I understand you wanted to compare with the Huddersfield game at the start of last season, but surely it makes sense to look at the team who just ended the last campaign? So I'd also discount Giannoulis and Gibson as new players considering they were here for at least half of last season and were always expected to sign (though I agree with your comparisons to Quintilla and the 19/20 Godfrey). 

On the 3 x other changes: 

Skipp versus Gilmour - I think Gilmour is absolutely the better footballer than Skipp, and will go further in his career, but I would say Skipp's role to the team last season was a more vital one to our success - it is a role I fear we will miss more than we will benefit from Gilmour's attributes in possession - IMO.

Buendia versus Rashica - well I don't want to be unfair on the new guy, but its hard to imagine him proving to be better than Buendia in an individual sense - as that would render him better than the best player I've ever seen for NCFC. Time will tell, and I am of course hopeful Rashica can be successful, but he's going to probably get a lot of unfair criticism this season for 'not being Buendia' as you alluded to.

McLean versus PLM - I don't want to write off McLean yet but the early signs on PLM are very good, I think he would be the preference for Farke too to start the season, so agree with you on that one. 

Skipp and Buendia were head and shoulders our two best players last season, I think most people are agreed on that, so it is undoubtedly going to be a very tall order to have 2 new players come in to their places and perform anything close to those two. I think we are going to be more reliant on other players stepping it up a level if we are going to be successful (i.e. PLM, Cantwell, Tzolis if he signs, Dowell etc).

Our strength in depth with these new signings is clearly looking like it will take us up a notch or two, and end up as a better squad and hopefully a much stronger starting 11 (Tzolis and a CDM??), but I think in its current position - purely just looking at the starting 11 - I would opt for last year's over this year's. 

• Like 1

Following up from my Greek link - now been confirmed by Rob Butler - he's flying to England tomorrow

OTBC - an exciting signing !!

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Drmic is better than Hugill when he can be bothered - which he wasn’t when here 

And as much as I am accused of not factoring in improvements - many forget that - at the time- we thought Leitner and Amadou were going to be mustard etc…

Bottom line - better overall squad but not a better overall team. And that is concerning 

I couldn't disagree with you more. For me, it's better team, but not as strong a squad. 

4 minutes ago, WSM said:

Cheers WSM! 👍

PAOK and Norwich have finally agreed and Christos Tzolis will move directly to the Premier League!

According to exclusive information of Sportime, Christos Tzolis is now a football player of Norwich. The "black and whites" agreed with the "Canaries" for the sale of the player, who will soon travel to England to sign the contract with his new team.

The Biceps player will continue his career in the Premier League as PAOK accepted Norwich's proposal and the last obstacles regarding the resale percentage were overcome. The Thessalonians will put 11 million in their coffers immediately and another 2.5 as a bonus while maintaining a resale rate of 17.5%.

The 19-year-old striker, who last year had an amazing season with 46 appearances, 16 goals and 10 assists, is now spreading his wings for the biggest league in the world.

• Like 2

Moaners: Our current 11 is weaker than last seasons 11 so we'll do worse in the Premier League.
Also Moaners: You can't compare this 11 to the 11 two seasons ago who were in the Premier League.

In other words the only opinions/arguments others are allowed to have, have to meet your criteria, which contradict each other.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm taking 12m into account because I'm comparing the squad as it stood vs Huddersfield against now. That's 12m time difference. 

Now, now TY, you know that using logic in your arguments doesn't meet the very strict criteria set by three people who don't like things like facts, maths and statistics.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don't really think you can say 'improved with another 12 months' about the players who are still here from last year - certainly not Krul and Pukki who are only getting older. Otherwise we'd be saying it was a great transfer window if we sold and bought no one... But we all know if you standstill in football then you go backwards!

I totally disagree. 

International football can make or break a footballer. Anyone catch the Michael Bailey live stream? One of their panelist (I forget her name, sorry!) said she was interested to see the effect that the Erikson incident has on Teemu. That's a really interesting point I hadn't considered. 

I think in the case of Krul - coming back to become Holland's second choice keeper - Teemu - scoring the goals that got Finland there - and Hanley - having a faultless game against England - combined with being big parts of winning the league last season at a canter all adds up to helping them improve. 

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

I totally disagree. 

International football can make or break a footballer. Anyone catch the Michael Bailey live stream? One of their panelist (I forget her name, sorry!) said she was interested to see the effect that the Erikson incident has on Teemu. That's a really interesting point I hadn't considered. 

I think in the case of Krul - coming back to become Holland's second choice keeper - Teemu - scoring the goals that got Finland there - and Hanley - having a faultless game against England - combined with being big parts of winning the league last season at a canter all adds up to helping them improve. 

I'm intrigued by why only the game v England seems to count for Hanley- he was very good but he also struggled in the first game with the Czech Republic.

5 minutes ago, WSM said:

Following up from my Greek link - now been confirmed by Rob Butler - he's flying to England tomorrow

OTBC - an exciting signing !!

Brilliant news. He could even feature vs Liverpool if things progress quickly, if I'm right?

Pretty much impossible to compare two teams when half the personnel is different and some haven't even played in the league in question. Not to mention, only comparing the players misses out the most important bit, namely the teamwork between them.

By far the biggest thing is not having three centre-halves out injured for over half the bloody season all at the same time. Having more pace and physicality in the team so we have a more physical plan B is also a help.

With another centre-half who can ideally step into defensive midfield, I'm confident Farke can put a side together that will show up well in the relegation battle. Whether it will be enough is another story. But I think it would need another defensive injury crisis like last time for us to have an outcome like last time.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

I totally disagree. 

I hadn't seen that no - surely the impact of that incident to Teemu would not be a positive one?!

But how many players of other teams who 'stay the same' do you think you could build similar cases for, based on 12 months more experience and international games etc etc?

If everyone is constantly improving and gaining more experience, then surely it sort of cancels itself out? 

That said, I can understand mentioning the improvement for say Aarons, who is young, and Dowell - who seemed to really get into his stride towards the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm intrigued by why only the game v England seems to count for Hanley- he was very good but he also struggled in the first game with the Czech Republic.

In fairness, that was the only game I caught of Scotlands. I think he was also very good in their last game vs Croatia by all accounts?

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I hadn't seen that no - surely the impact of that incident to Teemu would not be a positive one?!

But how many players of other teams who 'stay the same' do you think you could build similar cases for, based on 12 months more experience and international games etc etc?

If everyone is constantly improving and gaining more experience, then surely it sort of cancels itself out? 

That said, I can understand mentioning the improvement for say Aarons, who is young, and Dowell - who seemed to really get into his stride towards the end of the season. 

Not all experience is good though. That's why gauging when young players are ready is such a big skill - any knock to their confidence early sets them back months. And that's why Farke's so good at it.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I would imagine it was because it goes to show that Big Grant certainly has the ability to snuff out some of the Premier Leagues finest on his day, KC old bean : ). He was on fire that game, as was Billy G!

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Brilliant news. He could even feature vs Liverpool if things progress quickly, if I'm right?

I do hope a surprise cb/cdm makes an appearance as well.  We look pretty well set for the attacking end of the pitch, but as ever the other end could do with a little bit of help.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That’s what I was thinking, TY - if he’s flying to England tomorrow to sign on the dotted line then I can’t see him playing for PAOK on Thursday - unless we send him out on a massive 3 day loan 😝

I can understand how this would divide people on our squad. Have the players improved over the last season, you would hope so but did they just look better in a lower division, maybe. The main thing for me is the opinions on the new players. Fans of every club are the same and love a new signing and expect a lot, especially if relative to the club they have spent a lot of money. We by premier League standards are shopping in pound land, we are buying promise rather than the finished article. When doing this if half of our signings come good we have been very successful. I hope this is the case. Any less than that and we are weaker in my opinion. Buendia and Skipp were class last season and let's hope the new boys can do the business. I still want someone in to do the Skipp role this season and if not I feel we will struggle. We must be the first team to get promoted and lose their 1 and 2 in the player of the season so a lot rests on the promise of the new players being fulfilled.