Why are some of our supporters so quick to throw our players under the bus after a couple of defeats? To label half of the squad not good enough?

Why are they unwilling to give our players the benefit of the doubt considering we were already promoted and had to play the majority of Saturday with ten men after a dodgy red card which affected their energy levels last night?

Why are they moaning and groaning when we are already up and five points clear with only three games left?

Why do they see fit to ignore the previous 41 games and judge the players on the last two fixtures? 

Why do they begrudge the players celebrating on Saturday post match after a fantastic achievement in bouncing back first time of asking?

Baffles me. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 5

Because we’ve had the double done over us by our relegated compatriots. We play nice stuff when we’re able to dominate the ball, which we’re able to do in this league, but these teams have been able to disrupt our rhythm with a combination of street smarts, physicality and pace.

It was a bit depressing that we weren’t able to learn and find a way round these teams. Hope it’s a wake up call for recruitment and coaching next season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Because we’ve had the double done over us by our relegated compatriots. We play nice stuff when we’re able to dominate the ball, which we’re able to do in this league, but these teams have been able to disrupt our rhythm with a combination of street smarts, physicality and pace.

It was a bit depressing that we weren’t able to learn and find a way round these teams. Hope it’s a wake up call for recruitment and coaching next season. 

We lost away to Bournemouth, early in the season before we found our stride, lost away at Watford, managers first game in charge, players normally seem to get a bit of a bounce/reaction, lost at home to Bournemouth as a joke red card in my opinion, lost at home to Watford after sealed promotion and players may of had a heavy drinking weekend. I think lessons have and will be learnt. Where Watford really that good against us last night? If we had had Gibson and Giannoulis in the back 4 would we of lost? Who knows. And arent we allowed to have an off day once or twice in 18 games.. just my thoughts/opinion. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t think many people are doing any such thing - Saturday’s game was ruined by a sending off decision (right or wrong is irrelevant), yesterday no one can surely say that we weren’t off colour.  You can manage with the odd player not being on it, but we were below par in several areas.
Ultimately though, we’ve won promotion, which says all you need to know.  I couldn’t give a toss who has doubled who. It’s now up to us to bring home the title that we probably deserve.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

We lost away to Bournemouth, early in the season before we found our stride, lost away at Watford, managers first game in charge, players normally seem to get a bit of a bounce/reaction, lost at home to Bournemouth as a joke red card in my opinion, lost at home to Watford after sealed promotion and players may of had a heavy drinking weekend. I think lessons have and will be learnt. Where Watford really that good against us last night? If we had had Gibson and Giannoulis in the back 4 would we of lost? Who knows. And arent we allowed to have an off day once or twice in 18 games.. just my thoughts/opinion. 

Those all feel like pretty thin excuses to me across 360 minutes of football (and one goal scored by us). No one was more angry about the Pearson red than me, but he showed that sh*thouse nous that is effective at top level football. 

Look the main goal has been achieved but this is a wake up call at the right time to put it right for next year. 

• Like 2

Gordon, it has been a fantastic season, fantastic season. Look where we were for most of last season before the pandemic and how we have now acquired players like Skipp on loan, Gibson and Dimi. 

We have built a philosophy of reaching high and taking players with us, we have turned a very flat feeling after the end of the prem season to one with flow and attractive football.

We have achieved our goal this season, we have others this season. It is fantastic.

It means that next season we have to strive to be better with a higher level of competition. Improvement, responsibility collectively and individually will be required at a higher level next season.

Constructive criticism is fine at all levels of management, as we have heard Farke is meticulous about that. I like that, I want our manager striving to get the best, whether that is with new competition fighting for a spot against a stalwart starter this season or if it a genuine starter.

We have had many recent promotions through great cohesion, technically ability and momentum. Many things I am grateful for but we have never addressed the bite and aggression in tackles or physicality we have needed across the park for the prem.

We need to improve our squad for next season, we need players on the bench who will make a difference at prem level. So our recruitment begins and there are areas to improve now we have the means, finances and prem league football.

It is not a bad thing it should be embraced rather than thinking we need to sell a star player to stay afloat or if we realise we don't have star players for whichever league we are in.

Roll on the summer and new additions to build our squad into a better group. There are positions that we all have outlined and centre half, defensive central midfield, number 10, striker etc.

There is a lot we can do in-house and have with many players improving each season. But now we build again for a Premier league campaign.

• Like 1

I think most are actually saying we looked a little jaded against Watford, but there’s little doubt if teams nullify Buendia & Cantwell we struggle. Watford did that both times we’ve played them, but I think there’s positive posts on our players especially Omobamidele, how well he’s done to step it up.

But certainly room to improve our squad, unfortunately for me the promise from Placheta hasn’t totally come through, Hernandez is certainly not match sharp and Hugill is still questionable. Going into a premiership why can’t supporters look at positions needed to be improved, I’m pretty sure Webber & Farke will be too!

• Like 1

I’m actually amazed at the OP’s amazement that there’s moaners in the ranks! Same as it ever was following Norwich.

I can’t lie, I’m a bit disappointed we haven’t just got this over and done with yet. But I wonder if people would still be moaning had the two teams we lost to been others in the league or would shoulders just be shrugged - It just coincides with the facts they’re both the relegated teams we came down with and both have beat us twice now.

I doubt being outmuscled by Watford is something Farke and Webber are surprised about. I also doubt they’d be sitting on their hands not prepping for this certainty week in / out in the Prem.

11 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I’m actually amazed at the OP’s amazement that there’s moaners in the ranks! Same as it ever was following Norwich.

I'm amazed too, there is a constant cohort amongst the support who take perverse pleasure in moaning. They go quiet when things are going well, but given the earliest opportunity and they are out in full flow. Fact is we are promoted, which was the objective at the start of the season. It would be disappointing if Watford caught us, even from this position but it changes nothing. It is also a fact that there is an enormous quality gap between the Chumps and the EFL, no one denies this.

• Like 1

Who is throwing our players under a bus or moaning and groaning. Pointing out that these games have shown we still have areas we need to improve is not throwing the players under a bus. Some of us said ahead of these two games they felt we might not win them as the opposition teams were equipped to play against us in a way we have struggled with in the past. Bournemout was a bit different due to the red card but last night went almost exactly as feared.

And yes losing these two games has slightly dampened the celebrations. Most of us want the title to show for our efforts this season and that is by no means guaranteed now. Personally i want us to finish the season with some momentum and on a high rather than with a disappointing string of results. 

Most of our first team are good enough but we need to add extra physicality and pace to the team.

Acknowledging that is just realism more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Why aren't we Bournemouth? 

• Haha 1

The answer is some people are simply idiotic. 

Just take a look through yesterday's match thread. You would never believe we had just been promoted. Some already had us relegated! 

There are some fans who simply want to see the negatives. Look at McLean. A quality utility midfielder. Same as Rupp. Yet a core of fans just focus on any negative kick etc they see and go on the attack. 

City, like any team going up including Watford, need reinforcements who are better, and bigger. It's a simple fact and it's astonishing how many players were good enough for the prem three days ago, and now in their eyes they aren't. 

Edited by Wrathofthefarkely

1 hour ago, smooth said:

Gordon, it has been a fantastic season, fantastic season. Look where we were for most of last season before the pandemic and how we have now acquired players like Skipp on loan, Gibson and Dimi. 

We have built a philosophy of reaching high and taking players with us, we have turned a very flat feeling after the end of the prem season to one with flow and attractive football.

We have achieved our goal this season, we have others this season. It is fantastic.

It means that next season we have to strive to be better with a higher level of competition. Improvement, responsibility collectively and individually will be required at a higher level next season.

Constructive criticism is fine at all levels of management, as we have heard Farke is meticulous about that. I like that, I want our manager striving to get the best, whether that is with new competition fighting for a spot against a stalwart starter this season or if it a genuine starter.

We have had many recent promotions through great cohesion, technically ability and momentum. Many things I am grateful for but we have never addressed the bite and aggression in tackles or physicality we have needed across the park for the prem.

We need to improve our squad for next season, we need players on the bench who will make a difference at prem level. So our recruitment begins and there are areas to improve now we have the means, finances and prem league football.

It is not a bad thing it should be embraced rather than thinking we need to sell a star player to stay afloat or if we realise we don't have star players for whichever league we are in.

Roll on the summer and new additions to build our squad into a better group. There are positions that we all have outlined and centre half, defensive central midfield, number 10, striker etc.

There is a lot we can do in-house and have with many players improving each season. But now we build again for a Premier league campaign.

Are you Ted Hastings? All that's missing is "fella". Now we're sucking diesel

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Those all feel like pretty thin excuses to me across 360 minutes of football (and one goal scored by us). No one was more angry about the Pearson red than me, but he showed that sh*thouse nous that is effective at top level football. 

Look the main goal has been achieved but this is a wake up call at the right time to put it right for next year. 

I know they're poor excuses. Just the ol yellow and green specs. But your point at the end is spot on, main goal achieved and is a wake up call

Not only was the main goal achieved, it's rarely achieved. As many pointed out, very few relegated to the Championship come straight back up, and there were mitigating circumstances in both defeats here - a hasty, ill-considered red card against Bournemouth, then playing for so long with ten (not to mention a ****-up for winning the league) not too long before Watford.

So, we're facing a strong, physical and talented team who need to win to go up, pretty much, whilst we're cream-knackered after our efforts vs. Bournemouth three days earlier (and a celebratory ****-up, and we lost our best left-back so the sub was playing - along with the rookie 18 y/o centre-half!).

This doesn't change my view that we're three players light. A centre-half, an anchor man, and a striker. Could argue a number 10 too, but that would be the icing on the cake for me.

Certainly not amazed by it, just trying to understand it really. Been around forums and social media long enough to know how unbalanced opinions can be, some aren’t willing or able to be philosophical about losing games of football or to take each result in its context. To some everything is black and white. 

For me if things were a lot tighter at the top and we had work to do to go up I’d be far more annoyed, frustrated and probably critical but performance levels and intensity are bound to drop after promotion aren’t they? 

Perhaps I’m just too laid back and able to look at things from all angles. Perhaps I should be more savage when we lose! 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

I think it's easier to fall into this trap when we're not attending games. You get to watch a stream and any interaction during the game is the match thread and afterwards the fall out on here. Both these things are always totally reactionary and calm down in a few days.

There's more depth at games. More patience. Similarly in the pub afterwards it calms down quite quickly with plenty of other things going on and discussions to have.

I have to say I understand the reactionary threads a fair bit more over the past year.

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

... the main goal has been achieved but this is a wake up call at the right time to put it right for next year. 

Indeed it may well be a useful reminder to fans and the directors, but I don't think it's a wake up call for Webber and Farke. 

50 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I think it's easier to fall into this trap when we're not attending games. You get to watch a stream and any interaction during the game is the match thread and afterwards the fall out on here. Both these things are always totally reactionary and calm down in a few days.

There's more depth at games. More patience. Similarly in the pub afterwards it calms down quite quickly with plenty of other things going on and discussions to have.

I have to say I understand the reactionary threads a fair bit more over the past year.

I'm disappointed nobody has been sacked. 

Maybe someone could start a petition? 

Watford are as good as up .. and I'd make Bournemouth favourites from the playoffs.

So theyre 2 sides we're likely to be facing next season in the Premier Lge....and in all probably 2 of the weaker sides we'll face.

The fact that we've lost all 4 games , without scoring a goal, doesnt bode well.

Yes we can make excuses about the 4 games ...but we didnt take a point or score a goal

We've had a great season...but how we've matched up directly against these 2 teams rather than our respective records against Sheff Weds, Birmingham or Huddersfield etc is a better rule of thumb for our standing with them

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Watford are as good as up .. and I'd make Bournemouth favourites from the playoffs.

So theyre 2 sides we're likely to be facing next season in the Premier Lge....and in all probably 2 of the weaker sides we'll face.

The fact that we've lost all 4 games , without scoring a goal, doesnt bode well.

Yes we can make excuses about the 4 games ...but we didnt take a point or score a goal

We've had a great season...but how we've matched up directly against these 2 teams rather than our respective records against Sheff Weds, Birmingham or Huddersfield etc is a better rule of thumb for our standing with them

Buendia vs Bournemouth.

And the league table is probably the best guide. 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd say when comparing 2 teams...a head to head record is a better rule of thumb

Leeds have taken 4 points off Man City this season. Presumably you feel Leeds are the better side. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Buendia vs Bournemouth.

And the league table is probably the best guide. 

Not too sure about that Dunc,

We've lost four, two horse races.

And at the bushes we were fifteen lengths clear,

Lets hope we see the mile out.

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Against Man City they have been 

Will they get a star and a pass into the CL?

8 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Not too sure about that Dunc,

We've lost four, two horse races.

And at the bushes we were fifteen lengths clear,

Lets hope we see the mile out.

I dunno. Can't see why people are getting bent out of shape to be honest. Against Bournemouth, we'd just found out that we were already promoted and started like a train. Scored a goal (we did, honest) but then suffered the red card. We stuck it out pretty well but Bournemouth do have some good players. Against Watford the performance was jaded. But ten of the eleven had played 80mins a man down against a decent side and then gone on the bears less than 3 days previously and the other chap hasn't kicked a ball in anger in months. Was I disappointed? Yes, because we could have wrapped up the title. Was I surprised? No. 

It certainly doesn't make me think that we aren't the best team in the league. Just that we let our levels drop. Our football is still a perfect mix of poetry and destruction;  a glory of rhythm, power and majesty. 

As such we should enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Why are people getting angry about constructive criticism? We are clearly the best team in the division but it would be good to survive more than one year in the Premier League. The last two games have been affected by poor refereeing and taking our foot off the pedal but they have also highlighted a few things that need to be improved.

In my opinion the two most important players in the Premier League in our current system are the defensive midfielders. That's where we came unstuck last time. Last night the current pair got overrun simply because they're not big and powerful enough. They are very, very good Championship players but in the Premier League we are going to need to beat Watford, Burnley, Leeds and Co and that simply won't happen with the current players. Farke isn't stupid and he knows that. That is precisely why he signed Amadou last time who turned out not to be up to it.

Farke and Webber have had a season to look at the Premier League and they know what is required. If they can't find the players to make us competitive within our budget then I very much doubt anyone can. If anyone reading this voted for Brexit I hope you realise you have made their jobs significantly harder, if not impossible.

• Like 1