Crabbycanary3

McGovern out for 3 to 4 months

Really difficult to sign a loan keeper though - I can't imagine that anyone decent will want to come to be back up? 

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I think Krul will be back tomorrow 

If he isnt then  Barden doesnt faze me at all. Thought he looked confident, he obviously has ability to have got as far as he has. Looked very willing to play  to feet too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I think Krul will be back tomorrow 

I really hope your right, even the bench would be reassuring.

We will need another keeper in this window because if Krul is not fully recovered and 100% fit we cannot possibly rely on a 19 year old rookie no matter how good a prospect he is to see us through half a season.

• Like 1

I thought Barden looked excellent. I don't know if we have any other keepers knocking around at Colney to sit on the bench until Krul is fully fit, but I'm not overly concerned.

Just now, Petriix said:

I thought Barden looked excellent. I don't know if we have any other keepers knocking around at Colney to sit on the bench until Krul is fully fit, but I'm not overly concerned.

Agreed , though how we've allowed our top two keepers to be injured at the same time, I have no idea. Someone must be to blame. 😇

1 minute ago, ec-p said:

We really don’t have much luck with injuries do we?!

Is there such a thing as a lucky  injury?

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Is there such a thing as a lucky  injury?

Well, injuries are usually the reason that youth players end up getting their chances in the first team. That's how Godfrey and Lewis came to bring ~ £40m in for the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Well, injuries are usually the reason that youth players end up getting their chances in the first team. That's how Godfrey and Lewis came to bring ~ £40m in for the club.

Good point. 

Barden looked OK but I'm not sure you can possibly say he was "excellent". It would reckless not to get a backup keeper.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Really difficult to sign a loan keeper though - I can't imagine that anyone decent will want to come to be back up? 

Well we had the choice between 4 different free agents with Championship experience when Krul first got injured to add depth. 

They've now all been signed by Championship sides. 

So... it wasn't the slightest bit difficult to sign cover then. 

Lee Camp only signed a two month contract with Coventry though running to the middle of January, so he could still be an option to provide emergency cover on the bench in case Krul gets injured again. 

Would require a few of you to backtrack somewhat though after saying you'd prefer Barden. Weren't you one of them? What has changed your mind? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

31 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It looks like it's Lee Camp after all.😇

Available mid-Jan I believe, should just sign the fella. Hopefully never play, but could do worse if called upon. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well we had the choice between 4 different free agents with Championship experience when Krul first got injured to add depth. 

They've now all been signed by Championship sides. 

So... it wasn't the slightest bit difficult to sign cover then. 

Lee Camp only signed a two month contract with Coventry though running to the middle of January, so he could still be an option to provide emergency cover on the bench in case Krul gets injured again. 

Would require a few of you to backtrack somewhat though after saying you'd prefer Barden. Weren't you one of them? What has changed your mind? 

We didnt need cover then because contrary to what you thought, McGovern proved much better than you claimed him to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We didnt need cover then because contrary to what you thought, McGovern proved much better than you claimed him to be.

Eh? 

So we didn't need cover when it was just McGovern and Barden to choose from?

But we do need cover now it's Krul and Barden? 

Somebody help me out here.... 

That thread was four pages long Hogesar and also had many people saying they would rather use Barden than sign Camp. 

I personally think that we should add one more experienced keeper to the mix for this season, it's Aston Oxborough being out injured which has created this shortage of keepers... He was going into this season as a member of the first team squad. 

If Krul is fit that is still only 1 out of 3 of our first team keepers being available. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, ricardo said:

As long as Krul is back soon we will be O.K. Barden is capable IMO

What happens if Krul gets injured again? Or Barden gets injured? An U16 keeper on the bench? 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What happens if Krul gets injured again? Or Barden gets injured? An U16 keeper on the bench? 

I would have thought that the management  had considered  this. Bit naughty  of them not to have made a public statement of intent in order  to allay a few fears.

Edited by wcorkcanary

I would be very surprised if we didn't get another keeper in.

McGovern is now out for most of the rest of the season; Krul is only just coming back from injury and could easily break-down again.

It would be the height of bad planning to just rely on 19 year old Barden to see us through till the end of the season. Andy Marshall covering Gunny springs to mind.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

Looking at free agent options, Rob Elliott has some top level experience so may be worth a look. 

If Krul was out for longer it would be simpler as we'd be looking for a proper number 1. However anyone we sign in January very likely never plays for us, ruling quite a few options out.

What does it say to Barden, who has been our number 2 for the last 6 weeks that as soon as McGovern is injured we sign another old keeper? Don't we have a number of goal keeping prospects, like Mair? I say we throw our support behind the lad. As has already been mentioned it hasn't done us much harm in the past relying on our youth when injuries have impacted the squad.

Edited by CanaryChris

Barden will happily wait. A year ago he was playing at  a much lower level and now he may (if Krul breaks down again) be expected to perform consistently at the top of the Championship. that's a massive ask. I feel we definitely need another keeper

Edited by Crabbycanary3

I think McGovern might as well hang up his boots now, as his professional career is probably now over considering he is going to be out for most of the remainder, will 37 at the end, and out of contract.

Like everyone else has said, I think signing a backup keeper on loan is priority for this transfer window. Although Krul will probably survive to the end of the season, with our 2nd choice unavailable and 3rd choice still a teenager with 2 first team appearances under his belt, I think we need someone with 2nd tier experience. No criticism to Barden, I don’t think he’s a poor keeper, it’s just think that it’s a huge gamble to play someone of his level at this level