Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

A young Welsh/Cornish lad setting League One alight in Luke Jephcott. 13 goals now and watching them on local TV, he looks a natural finisher and could be a cheap punt at this stage.

Edited by keelansgrandad

If we sell Emi or / and Max in January, it will show these owners have zero ambition and lied about coming back stronger. 

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If we sell Emi or / and Max in January, it will show these owners have zero ambition and lied about coming back stronger. 

I expect to see you back on this thread at the start of February, then, telling us all how pleased you are about the ambition of our owners and our ability to come back stronger.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I expect to see you back on this thread at the start of February, then, telling us all how pleased you are about the ambition of our owners and our ability to come back stronger.

While I agree with the point of your post, I don’t disagree with Kenny’s. “Coming back stronger” was the message and selling any of Aaron’s, Cantwell or Buendia makes a mockery of that statement. Selling Godfrey hasn’t weakened us because Gibson was rightly brought in, selling Lewis was a gamble that very nearly backfired after Quintilla’s injury, they’ll be no excuse if we sell Emi, Todd or Max.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It’s going to be about what we do in the summer I’m guessing. Even if promoted we all know our top players are probably off. That’s when we see  what ambition the club has to actually try and stay up. 

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Expect all you want... I guess you'd just accept the best player we have had here in years being sold when top of the league. Anyway, it should not happen unless the owners were not being truthful with the support. 

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

While I agree with the point of your post, I don’t disagree with Kenny’s. “Coming back stronger” was the message and selling any of Aaron’s, Cantwell or Buendia makes a mockery of that statement. Selling Godfrey hasn’t weakened us because Gibson was rightly brought in, selling Lewis was a gamble that very nearly backfired after Quintilla’s injury, they’ll be no excuse if we sell Emi, Todd or Max.

🎯 100%

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We had all this b*llocks in August and September though, with loads of posts bleating about how we were going to sell all five of our crown jewels, blah blah blah. Just calling this out now before it gets started in earnest. The only way anyone will leave in this window is if they throw their toys out the pram and demand a move, and only then if we get some serious dollar.

Of the three, I think Cantwell is the only one whose sale I would accept, as he only has 18 months left on his contract and may have indicated he doesn't want to sign a new one. Even so, I'm supremely confident in saying that none of those three will be sold in this window.

• Like 4

or in the real world players have sell on clauses - and we would find players reluctant to join us were we seen to be blocking 'progressive' moves

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Expect all you want... I guess you'd just accept the best player we have had here in years being sold when top of the league. Anyway, it should not happen unless the owners were not being truthful with the support. 

No, but I won't start mouthfarting about it until it actually bloody happens.

If we lose our next 23 games we could still get relegated, and that would be a scandalous and unacceptable disaster that would mean Farke and Delia should be hanged from the balcony at City Hall and the sky is falling in and it's a disgrace and we're the laughing stock of the universe.

Sky football transfer have stated interest in Emi, our board has a history of selling our best players, we have a model of selling our best players, the player in the summer wanted to go.... This thread is about transfers. My point about the possibility of selling our best player is valid. No idea why you are getting so worked up.... Anyway... Have a nice night!

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

No, but I won't start mouthfarting about it until it actually bloody happens.

If we lose our next 23 games we could still get relegated, and that would be a scandalous and unacceptable disaster that would mean Farke and Delia should be hanged from the balcony at City Hall and the sky is falling in and it's a disgrace and we're the laughing stock of the universe.

The thing is FTW that’s pretty much our 1994-95 season summed up! One win in 20 games! 😂

1 minute ago, Indy said:

The thing is FTW that’s pretty much our 1994-95 season summed up! One win in 20 games! 😂

Chase out

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Chase out

Can see it now, if Buendia isn’t here at the start of next season neither will I be.......Delia quoted! 😂👍

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

In a "if Chris Sutton isn't here at the start of next season then I won't be either" kind of way?

We're in the strongest possible position after 100% winning record and 69 points on the board in Jan. The only way one of ours leaves this month is on our terms, and that's that.

IMO teams would have to near enough break the record Championship fee to get our brightest in this window

I actually think some are rather desperate for us to sell players just so they can have the satisfaction of being “right”.

In the real world, everyone - and that means everyone at every club - has a price.  We aren’t under pressure to sell in terms of finances, but there’s more to it than that.  Should anyone leave, for me it is then more down to what’s done to maintain the overall strength of the squad that I’ll be interested in, rather than the weird notion that some seem to have in that holding onto disgruntled players leads to a successful side.  

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I actually think some are rather desperate for us to sell players just so they can have the satisfaction of being “right”.

In the real world, everyone - and that means everyone at every club - has a price.  We aren’t under pressure to sell in terms of finances, but there’s more to it than that.  Should anyone leave, for me it is then more down to what’s done to maintain the overall strength of the squad that I’ll be interested in, rather than the weird notion that some seem to have in that holding onto disgruntled players leads to a successful side.  

We could get 50m for Emi which we contractually couldn't reject because it activated a clause in his contract and some on here would have a party and dance about the fact they've got an angle to criticise a board that proves them wrong at every turn.

Many on this forum told me our board would sell all our young players in the summer for the first offer received etc etc....geniuses, the lot of 'em

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

We could get 50m for Emi which we contractually couldn't reject because it activated a clause in his contract and some on here would have a party and dance about the fact they've got an angle to criticise a board that proves them wrong at every turn.

Many on this forum told me our board would sell all our young players in the summer for the first offer received etc etc....geniuses, the lot of 'em

But they still will leave sooner rather than later. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

But they still will leave sooner rather than later. 

Of course. But nothing to do with our board and everything to do with the fact we arent Liverpool or Manchester United.

Edited by hogesar

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yep, all ‘5’ I was told, I disagreed and then another poster called the person who called all 5 as going as ‘the voice of reason’. 

Well they obviously weren’t, as after the pant wetting and lack of trust in Webber subsided, we ended up losing only Godfrey and Lewis come the end of the window, the only 2 of the 5 that had left at that point of the debate incidentally, and for pretty reasonable sums at that. 

I still don’t think Webber and Farke got the credit they deserved there.

A lot of prophecies regarding departures were made pre Covid. The market in general was far slower than normal during the summer and clubs were conservative spending money. 

If promoted we’re still going to lose the obvious candidates and then fans will see the ambition and willingness to be competitive in the top league. Farke needs to be backed and hopefully he will be. 

If Aresnal are interested, then January just might offer the best opportunity for them to get Buendia.

If we manage to go up this season, Aresnal will have to pay more in the summer, as well as face more competition if his form continues, which is a near certainty.  

I honestly think Buendias days as a city player are numbered, sadly. Nothing to do with the ambition of our board either. If we're offered £25 million plus, he will be allowed to leave, and rightly so.

In the current climate, who can blame Buendia signing a likely 4 year PL contract, worth in the region of 70k per week. 

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If Aresnal are interested, then January just might offer the best opportunity for them to get Buendia.

If we manage to go up this season, Aresnal will have to pay more in the summer, as well as face more competition if his form continues, which is a near certainty.  

I honestly think Buendias days as a city player are numbered, sadly. Nothing to do with the ambition of our board either. If we're offered £25 million plus, he will be allowed to leave, and rightly so.

In the current climate, who can blame Buendia signing a likely 4 year PL contract, worth in the region of 70k per week. 

£25m? Even the happy clappers would be in uproar on here. 

• Like 1

An unhappy Emi who has been refused a dream move to Arsenal may not be what we need either. It's a difficult one because on the one hand the club doesn't need to sell, but for me there is the nagging doubt that Emi would be as good if the club blocked a move. We've all seen how impetuous he can be at times if things don't go his way.

I'm hoping that if Arsenal really wanted him, and he is their first choice signing, they would have made a bid by now. 

Anyone know what the contractual position is with Emi? Is he still on the original one when we signed him, or was he offered an improve deal? Just wondering what his 'release clause' is to be and how relevant it is to his current value. 

22 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

£25m? Even the happy clappers would be in uproar on here. 

£25 million, plus add ons. Most deals are structured now. Possibly a deal that could rise to say £35 million? That feels about right to me. 

17 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Ughhhh. How about you save those kind of remarks until something actually happens? 

I thought maybe some posters would reign it in a bit after the fantastic job the club did in keeping Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell over the summer - in spite of everyone hurling abuse at the club for a lack of ambition and poor ownership before they had even sold anyone! But no, same old same old... just can’t wait to stick the knife in.

You know the club aren’t responsible for transfer rumours right? I just don’t understand how these kind of comments are remotely fair?

Also what does a ‘history of selling our best players mean’, please can you explain this statement and how it applies particularly to our club over other clubs? Because I think literally every club in England or our size in a similar position and face the same issues.

And not even a comment on the last window where we kept our 2 best prospects (Max and Emi) from last season??? Where’s the credit for that?

Just don’t get it.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

£25 million, plus add ons. Most deals are structured now. Possibly a deal that could rise to say £35 million? That feels about right to me. 

£40m plus add ons feels right for me. 

And @Kenny Foggo, I know your statement was conditional, and only applies IF the club did sell our best players. But it clearly reads like someone with an axe to grind. 

If I said, ‘if Buendia gets caught drink driving then he’s a selfish irresponsible idiot’ based off of nothing which factually suggests he did anything wrong. Then wouldn’t it kind of just feel like I want to call Buendia a selfish irresponsible idiot? 

That said, even if they did sell, I don’t think it would mean a lack of ambition. If Buendia were to throw his toys out of the pram I’m not sure I’d want us to force him to stay against his will. What would that do for his performances? What message does that send to our other prospects if we were to force him to stay? There’s more to it than just ‘ambition’.