Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

No10 concerns me. Stiepermann not good enough, Vrancic doesnt seem to do much in games when he starts. Dowell might come good when match fit but time will tell. Unless plan is for Cantwell to go there once Placheta/Hernandez are back fit

We haven't missed Godfrey that much as our remaining CBs are perfectly adept at dealing with the cloggers in the Chump. Get a bit of pace against them it's a different story.

Losing Emi and/or Max would be pretty terminal to achieving top 2 as we simply don't have the quality elsewhere at the moment. Dowell and Martin just don't have the cutting edge of Emi, and god knows what we'll do if we lose another FB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It was a perfectly reasonable post. 

Happy New Year.

No, it was nonesense.

Surely you cant be suggesting that were not missing Ben, the same Ben who is doing fantastically for Everton whilst we still scratch around watching Zimmerman and Hanley?

And Im absolutley sure you cant be suggesting were not missing Jamal (who you failed to mention) since we currently dont have a LB.

Nor, can you be suggesting that the money that has soften'ed the blow as been reinvested into the squad?

Because lets be completly honest, it hasnt has it? 

The replacements for Jamal and Ben are loans and certainaly nowhere near the standard of Ben and Jamal.

Edited by CDMullins

The Arsenal links don't make sense to me for Buendia. That club is a mess right now. ****, he'd be better off at Leeds or Villa.

I have hope, though, that he'll see the plan and stay until the summer.

On a positive note ... you do have to appreciate we're in a position where we can truthfully say to academy prospects "Our players have recently been recruited or signed by the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, and Manchester United"!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We haven't missed Godfrey that much as our remaining CBs are perfectly adept at dealing with the cloggers in the Chump. Get a bit of pace against them it's a different story.

Losing Emi and/or Max would be pretty terminal to achieving top 2 as we simply don't have the quality elsewhere at the moment. Dowell and Martin just don't have the cutting edge of Emi, and god knows what we'll do if we lose another FB.

Godfrey has become a firm favourite with Everton fans. They love him. Max would do well at ANY EPL team too, he is that good. He has been a loyal player and always gives 100%. Max is impossible to replace really but if we were to sell that is a big berth to fill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

The Arsenal links don't make sense to me for Buendia. That club is a mess right now. ****, he'd be better off at Leeds or Villa.

I have hope, though, that he'll see the plan and stay until the summer.

He will still be here when the window closes but wouldn't rule out an agreement being made ready for the summer.

If not then it will need to be a big number to let him go with a replacement lined up.

I think Arsenal is perfect for Buendia, they are a great club, and they are such a mess at the moment he will get in the side.   

Arsenal will never be relegated though and a 3 year contract with them means 3 years of very good EPL pay. It's a no brainer if Arsenal really want him.

• Like 4

I have always wondered , when neither Emi, Max or Todd went in the Summer, there was minimal fuss (or so it seemed on the outside) and if one or all of them had promises made, for January in terms of transfers. This may have been reliant on things like how well we were doing at the time (although I do acknowledge if there was a 'silly' bid , we'd take it every time, as 99% of Clubs would).

As we are top of the League entering the transfer window, I'll get the answer to my question within the month. Of course, it'd be epic to keep all 3 of them, for the run in to the season, but we know that football doesn't take into consideration, fan's dreams.

It amazes me how flippant some are about Godfrey, yet the lad has proved himself and is a far better than anything we have here in Zimbo, Hanley or Gibson, that’s why Everton paid so much and he’s playing premiership. We have missed him and as great as Sorensen has been we’ve also missed Lewis.

Take out Buendia and we’d be mid table, so he’s a must keep at all costs in my book.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

This is a messageboard and it's all about opinions. Godfrey played for us as a centre back. In my opinion he is a fine footballer but wasn't particularly good at being a centre back and Gibson is better at that. Godfrey plays for Everton as a left back (so far). Their supporters haven't seen him as a centre back yet. Godfrey is in the same position for Everton as Sorensen is for us - being played out of position and rightly being praised for his efforts there. But he isn't a left back as Sorensen isn't a left back.

We don't know if Sorensen is any good in his preferred position yet. Everton fans don't know if Godfrey is either.

Have we missed Godfrey? No. Have we missed Lewis? Yes.

As for Emi, if he has already agreed a deal and a fee has been agreed he'll be gone before Saturday. If he's still here then, it's all rubbish. I still think he's too inconsistent for Arsenal to shell out the fee we would want. Same for Aarons, who is being toutde as being a replacement for a £50m player. I think the possibility exists that we will sell and do a loan back for both, but again I don't think the right numbers will be in play for us to be persuaded.

• Like 1

They'd both walk straight back into our side obviously. That said, our league position demonstrates we've managed very well without either. But we will really miss Godfrey's pace if we get promoted and that lack of mobility in central defence has to be addressed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

They'd both walk straight back into our side obviously. That said, our league position demonstrates we've managed very well without either. But we will really miss Godfrey's pace if we get promoted and that lack of mobility in central defence has to be addressed.

Godfrey also had a wonderful cross field pass from defence (often to Max on the wing). We've definitely missed that this season (as neither Gibson, Hanley or Zimm look either capable or that kind of ball doesn't cross their mind). 

• Like 2

I think we will be promoted but what can Farke do once those who want to go do actually leave? Would we actually try and replace players via spending a bit or just promote from the academy and cross fingers. 

20 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Godfrey also had a wonderful cross field pass from defence (often to Max on the wing). We've definitely missed that this season (as neither Gibson, Hanley or Zimm look either capable or that kind of ball doesn't cross their mind). 

Yes. He was a thoroughbred and those passes, along with his running with the ball and the shot he had on him emphasised this.

I'm not sure he was any better than the others in actual effective defending.

I use the word 'was.' He is, at his age, on an improvement curve. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes. He was a thoroughbred and those passes, along with his running with the ball and the shot he had on him emphasised this.

I'm not sure he was any better than the others in actual effective defending.

I use the word 'was.' He is, at his age, on an improvement curve. 

Possibly not at actual defending, certainly no worse, definitely more pace, but his all round game makes him head and shoulders above the rest.

If Max goes, surely it will be at the end of the window as the back-ups aren’t fit yet. Either that or we’ll get a replacement before they’re fit?

Wonder whether a future England team, say in 2/3 years might contain Max, Ben, Madders and Oliver Skipp? 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I obviosuly don't want him to go- If the Gunners are gunning for him how much do we realistically see Emi being sold to them for?

This is not going to be a popular point of view, I reckon around £25M, I would also be surprised if we see an expensive replacement arrive,  I suspect Dowell and Placheta were brought to cover Buendia and Cantwell leaving.

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

Possibly not at actual defending, certainly no worse, definitely more pace, but his all round game makes him head and shoulders above the rest.

Agreed. There's a reason Ancelotti and Everton were willing to pay what they did for him

£25m plus add-ons is probably about right for Emi, £15m will get you his heading ability; if you want his feet as well then it will be considerably more.

I'm also wondering if a circuit breaker total lockdown curtailing elite sport will impact the transfer window? I can see it being extended if clubs aren't able to do medicals and so forth.

Its the January window prices go up can see £35m fee + add ons, with at least £10m up front to sign another, City interested in Emi Marcondes of Brentford in last season of contract.  Max to Man u why would they ant to splash £30m when they have ready made youngster, but who may be injured can't name him however.

Losing emi may be the best move oportunity for someone to be less extrravagant and more reliable

Circuit Break a nonsense idea, perhaps no infections during CB and 2 weeks later a rash, lets keep extending CB until spring already dismissed by PL and Gov, ain't gonna happen.   

On 31/12/2020 at 10:12, lake district canary said:

Not entirely. No-one wants to see players leave half way through a season but if it happens, then it gives other players the opportunity to step up - and we have very good players waiting in the wings.  Losing Godfrey was bad, but we haven't really missed him in terms of results this season compared to the last championship season, so if we lose any this time (I still hope we don't), then there is no reason to be too downhearted, especially as the money will soften the blow and enable us to carry on strengthening our squad, hopefully buying one or two ourselves this window.

At risk of re-treading old ground I do wonder if Ben Godfrey was/is our ‘missing piece’; as the midfield enforcer who could dominate the game but play football as well ... I saw him play in this role for Shrewsbury away to Charlton a few years ago and he was imperious ....

With regards to Emi - for all his inconsistency he is the difference between promotion and not for me.....

18 hours ago, pete said:

Its the January window prices go up can see £35m fee + add ons, with at least £10m up front to sign another, City interested in Emi Marcondes of Brentford in last season of contract.  Max to Man u why would they ant to splash £30m when they have ready made youngster, but who may be injured can't name him however.

Losing emi may be the best move oportunity for someone to be less extrravagant and more reliable

Circuit Break a nonsense idea, perhaps no infections during CB and 2 weeks later a rash, lets keep extending CB until spring already dismissed by PL and Gov, ain't gonna happen.   

If we lose Emi, I'd love to see someone as 'extravagant' and 'less reliable' as he has been.........

Have we still not bought/sold anyone?  It’s almost lunchtime!!

I do wonder if/when we’ll find out about possible loan returns - for example whether Sam will remain at Coventry what with Xavi apparently returning to fitness. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Haha 1

If u look on Newcastle fans forum they think they have bought a dud (always going back not forward) I think we got good price for him

• Like 1

I think the first real idea we'll get regarding whether Emi or Max are leaving is if their replacements sign......................