Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

12 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Here's an idea. 

As I (and many others) don't think we'll be selling any of our current star players and haven't since the start of this season (Godfrey and Lewis excluded)...

Why don't we discuss possible incomings on here? The transfer thread was always that way in the past and it was quite fun, if not always accurate 😂

I just can't think of any obvious targets- outside of picking up someone like Rob Elliott on a free transfer.

I can see us picking up a few bodies for squad depth. They don't necessarily have to be Premier League standard if they are here for backup I guess. We did very well in the summer window truth be told, and a few of the signings we've made have been great so it's going to be hard to best that without spending a lot of cash.

In reality I'm expecting a quiet window, perhaps signing a keeper on loan. As you've said, if we're after quality I can't see us getting a LB when we know we've got good cover there.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I just can't think of any obvious targets- outside of picking up someone like Rob Elliott on a free transfer.

I suspect there are a number of promising youngsters with PL cubs who may see a half season with us as a worthy loan - it certainly hasn't done Skipp any harm, and there are a couple ir so Arsenal players that would well suit

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I suspect there are a number of promising youngsters with PL cubs who may see a half season with us as a worthy loan - it certainly hasn't done Skipp any harm, and there are a couple ir so Arsenal players that would well suit

Potentially but I think this window is likely more about depth than players who'll be starting, which may put teams off loaning players out without guarantees of playing time.

• Like 1

It's very easy to get carried away by the excitement of the transfer window, but it's hard to see any justification for major spending given the proximity of a near fully fit squad. No doubt a keeper will be brought in as cover (Rob Elliot does seem the obvious choice). Otherwise centre back and left back cover (recall of Famewo and McCallum?). So unless there is a major outgoing it would surely make sense to save the pennies for Premier League spending (if promoted).

other than a back up keeper I can't see the need for anything else. We have all our backup players returning from injury v soon and have some half decent players out on loan we can recall in an instant if required.

Maybe the situation will change between now and Feb though

• Like 2

No point signing champs players for just a few months whilst we’re still in the champs. I’d save every penny for the summer when hopefully we’re facing the prospect of a return to the PL. We do of course need temporary goalkeeping cover though for the rest of this season, and a loan or two from around Europe perhaps to make up any other shortfalls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

QPR's Chair - is he a Wing Back?

Don't go there, he's a lazy-boy

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Still short a Left Back.

We are, and I'm a touch confused why recalling McCallum seems to be off the table, unless the loan agreement says we can't.

16 hours ago, sonyc said:

The Nelson / Willock link to Emi has been doing the Twitter rounds all day. To be fair both of those are very good footballers and of good pedigree. Nelson was ripping up the Bundesliga a while ago for example. And rumours are that if, and that is an if, Arsenal do put a large sum forward as an offer them Emi would force our hand. These are the rumours so don't shoot the messenger but I've not seen them here.

Still stories about this morning concerning how Emi will push for a move if we receive a bid. Agent talk or the same story re-hashed?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Maybe Mr Farke thinks Sorensen has done better at LB than McCallum would right now?

or as Quintella is virtually back now, with Sorensen as back-up is it better for McCallum to continue getting game time elsewhere to aid his development? No need to spend money if we don't need to, it's better kept for key targets I would suspect

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

or as Quintella is virtually back now, with Sorensen as back-up is it better for McCallum to continue getting game time elsewhere to aid his development? No need to spend money if we don't need to, it's better kept for key targets I would suspect

Unlikely that McCallum will return before the end of the season, had Quintella not returned then I'd say get him back but Sorensen has shown that he is more than capable to play there.

Plus having Sorensen available to play in the natural position is like having a new player in that position.

• Like 1

We do need a left back, Sorensen has been superb, but his career depends on him playing in his strongest position, and that, is apparently, in midfield.  So we need to buy, recall, loan in cover or promote Nizet from the youth set up (if he is ready).

9 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

We do need a left back, Sorensen has been superb, but his career depends on him playing in his strongest position, and that, is apparently, in midfield.  So we need to buy, recall, loan in cover or promote Nizet from the youth set up (if he is ready).

Why do people keep saying this?  Quintilla is fit again now - Mumba should be fit in a couple of weeks and maybe even Byram will be fit in a few weeks - and Sorensen has proven that he can do the job perfectly well in this division in the meantime. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, text that says 'STAY AT HOME DON'T GO Το ARSENAL PROTECT THE SEASON SAVE NORWICH'

Haha I saw that yesterday on good old Twitter and it provided amusement. Thanks (no reactions left). It is a valid message though!

21 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In an ideal world it'd be great to do it the way you're suggesting, to cement our position at the top and give the new players a chance to bed in. However, given our previous strategy plus the ongoing coronavirus situation, I'd be extremely surprised to see us spend much this window unless we're forced into selling one of our big hitters.

I believe the current squad is good enough to keep us in the top two, and Farke is a good enough manager to keep us in the top two. If we're looking for big signings of EPL quality, those will only come when we have the guarantee of EPL cash in our back pocket. No chance we'll leave ourselves with big earners on big outlays before we've sealed promotion, and I think that's prudent.

Considering how much our 'prudence with ambition' policy was (rightly) derided in the past under Doomcaster et al, where we're at now shows it isn't the policy itself that was the problem, but the implementation. Now would be the wrong time to lose our nerve and splash the cash. We have a habit of getting our business done early, so expect to see quality new signings in June if we do go up.

Fully appreciate your response and I expect we will likely follow that.   I think we have some room to twist though and I am expecting that the club do scout all sorts of options, not only the very young unproven talent but even players of quality with experience.   Not suggesting they would be experienced EPL players but players with the skill set to be at that level, Africans, South Americans perhaps....   Rather someone who costs £4-5m than £4-500K.    As I say and you haven't commented, we can''t go up with what we have at the minute in central midfield, IMO they aren't even back up options.   I can only see Rupp being an adequate support player and Sorensen hasn't had opportunity to prove himself as yet. 

What are your thoughts on the points made, do you agree or disagree that the players we have in central midfield aren't at the level required, agree / disagree the quality of the players and the belief in the squad will have some potential effect on Emi and Max's desire to stay.   This potentially applies to Daniel Farke also, if we fail to get promoted, will he move on?  Will he get fed up with having to develop to achieve his and the clubs ambitions... he deserves some support in my view and now is the most opportune time to strike....  If we go up, will he get enough support, we don't have a good enough squad still.   If we leave it to the summer, too much work will be needed, we will be no better off than last time and risk losing our most valuable assets.   

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Still stories about this morning concerning how Emi will push for a move if we receive a bid. Agent talk or the same story re-hashed?

Stories also say they are talking to his agent.   Thought that was an illegal approach!    They have to get permission to speak to our players... They are just stories.  

Always game for a laugh so ventured over to Aftv to see what their take is on the Emi transfer. I mean they are a deluded bunch at the best of times but some of them are certain £15m-£20m plus a loan signing is enough to tempt us in to selling. Obviously been a while (if any) that Arsenal signed a player from The Championship as our club will laugh off that bid. 

Most feel that he will be pushing for that transfer so can pick him up for peanuts. Emi along with Max is destined for great things and personally feel he could do much better than Arsenal. Never thought i’d say that lol. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Quintilla is fit again now - Mumba should be fit in a couple of weeks and maybe even Byram will be fit in a few weeks - and Sorensen has proven that he can do the job perfectly well in this division in the meantime. 

Because even with Mumba fit again we'd still only have six actual fit defenders.

Sorenson is fine but he isn't ideal- he's very right footed, doesn't have the pace/skill to run at players and also lacks the natural positional awareness that comes from playing the position- for instance I'm not sure the Watford goal happens if you have a proper left back in place who is aware of where his winger is. Right now our attacks are also blunted somewhat by an inability to stretch play on the left hand side- Cantwell likes to tuck in, leaving lots of space we can't exploit because Sorenson comes inside every time. A proper left back actually improves us both going forward and defensively. 

• Like 1

The Michael Bailey Athletic article with Kieran Scott said a shortlist of five left backs has gone to Webber and Farke, so that's the one position I'd expect us to do business in (and a free agent keeper)

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Fully appreciate your response and I expect we will likely follow that.   I think we have some room to twist though and I am expecting that the club do scout all sorts of options, not only the very young unproven talent but even players of quality with experience.   Not suggesting they would be experienced EPL players but players with the skill set to be at that level, Africans, South Americans perhaps....   Rather someone who costs £4-5m than £4-500K.    As I say and you haven't commented, we can''t go up with what we have at the minute in central midfield, IMO they aren't even back up options.   I can only see Rupp being an adequate support player and Sorensen hasn't had opportunity to prove himself as yet. 

What are your thoughts on the points made, do you agree or disagree that the players we have in central midfield aren't at the level required, agree / disagree the quality of the players and the belief in the squad will have some potential effect on Emi and Max's desire to stay.   This potentially applies to Daniel Farke also, if we fail to get promoted, will he move on?  Will he get fed up with having to develop to achieve his and the clubs ambitions... he deserves some support in my view and now is the most opportune time to strike....  If we go up, will he get enough support, we don't have a good enough squad still.   If we leave it to the summer, too much work will be needed, we will be no better off than last time and risk losing our most valuable assets.  

I definitely think we'll need to strengthen in all areas, even if we do manage to keep hold of Max, Todd and Emi. I think the six players I mentioned in central midfield are sufficient to get us promoted, and then we can look to strengthen in the summer. I think McLean and Rupp will be good enough as squad players, and Sorensen in his preferred position will be good enough. Vrancic I don't think has the legs for it and will be released in the summer, I'd happily take Tettey on for another year if he wanted to, and Skipp we would need to replace if we couldn't buy him. So basically, at an absolute minimum I think we'd need McLean, Rupp, Sorensen, Tettey, Skipp (or suitable replacement) and a replacement for Vrancic. Sorensen would in effect be the 'Tettey upgrade', so Tettey would be a backup player as he is at the moment.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Because even with Mumba fit again we'd still only have six actual fit defenders.

Sorenson is fine but he isn't ideal- he's very right footed, doesn't have the pace/skill to run at players and also lacks the natural positional awareness that comes from playing the position- for instance I'm not sure the Watford goal happens if you have a proper left back in place who is aware of where his winger is. Right now our attacks are also blunted somewhat by an inability to stretch play on the left hand side- Cantwell likes to tuck in, leaving lots of space we can't exploit because Sorenson comes inside every time. A proper left back actually improves us both going forward and defensively. 

To be fair, from what I’ve seen, Sorensen looks a far better tackler than either Lewis or Quintilla, so whereas he may not be called a ‘LB’, and may have his cons, he also has areas of his game where he’s better. It’d be nice to blend the attributes of Quintilla and Sorensen together, that’d be some player! 

Anyway, it sounds like we’re looking for another LB, perhaps albeit just on loan for now. Think Farke and Webber have made it pretty clear that they would prefer to keep McCallum at Coventry this season where possible so he can keep gaining experience and developing, hence why we’re looking at other LB options this window.

Another goalkeeper is the most pressing one for me to be honest. Barden looks good but someone experienced behind Krul is obviously needed for the second half of the season.

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I definitely think we'll need to strengthen in all areas, even if we do manage to keep hold of Max, Todd and Emi. I think the six players I mentioned in central midfield are sufficient to get us promoted, and then we can look to strengthen in the summer. I think McLean and Rupp will be good enough as squad players, and Sorensen in his preferred position will be good enough. Vrancic I don't think has the legs for it and will be released in the summer, I'd happily take Tettey on for another year if he wanted to, and Skipp we would need to replace if we couldn't buy him. So basically, at an absolute minimum I think we'd need McLean, Rupp, Sorensen, Tettey, Skipp (or suitable replacement) and a replacement for Vrancic. Sorensen would in effect be the 'Tettey upgrade', so Tettey would be a backup player as he is at the moment.

If we go up, the central midfield situation will hinge somewhat on if we can get Skipp back. If we can that makes a huge difference to our plans.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

To be fair, from what I’ve seen, Sorensen looks a far better tackler than either Lewis or Quintilla, so whereas he may not be called a ‘LB’, and may have his cons, he also has areas of his game where he’s better. It’d be nice to blend the attributes of Quintilla and Sorensen together, that’d be some player! 

Anyway, it sounds like we’re looking for another LB, perhaps albeit just on loan for now. Think Farke and Webber have made it pretty clear that they would prefer to keep McCallum at Coventry this season where possible so he can keep gaining experience and developing, hence why we’re looking at other LB options this window.

Another goalkeeper is the most pressing one for me to be honest. Barden looks good but someone experienced behind Krul is obviously needed for the second half of the season.

Tackling is fine but the whole 'art' of being a defender is positioning and reading the game so you don't have to make tackles. 

For me, the cons of having Sorenson at left back outweigh the pros. Not a knock on him, he's done a stellar job in an unfamiliar position, but if we want to go up in makes sense to upgrade our options in that position.