Midlands Yellow

Ex players still living in Norwich

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Rick Wakeman lives in South Norfolk. He's stillĀ  player, although mainly on celebrity quiz shows.

I was over in Norfolk three weeks ago for the half term and he was eating Sunday lunch in the same restaurant as me. My first thought was " I bet he gets told he look a lot like Rick Wakeman" as I didn't think it was him. Then my mum saw him and I googled his photo to confirm. We were desperately trying to keep my dad from noticing him as he wouldn't have left him alone.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Still see Ruddy around during the week.

His wife is from Norwich so wouldn't surprise me if he's still got a house down here.

At Wolves he played with a keeper called Jack Ruddy, whose real name was also John Ruddy, and to confuse matters John Ruddy's son is an aspiring goalkeeper called Jack Ruddy.

His son is 6ft 1 inch tall at 12 years old, need to sign him up.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Works for BBC Wales though and does a Welsh podcast, as he's bi-lingual, so can't see him commuting all the time from Norfolk to Wales for work?

I think he does, as I believe he livesĀ on the Dussindale estate at Thorpe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His wife is from Norwich so wouldn't surprise me if he's still got a house down here.

At Wolves he played with a keeper called Jack Ruddy, whose real name was also John Ruddy, and to confuse matters John Ruddy's son is an aspiring goalkeeper called Jack Ruddy.

His son is 6ft 1 inch tall at 12 years old, need to sign him up.

Pretty sure Big JR used to live in Mulbarton, he was doing some training drills with his lad on the common when we played a Sunday League game there a few years back. Daryl Sutch certainly used to work for Leader's estate agents, I nearly bought a house from him a few years back. Holty, Hucks, DruryĀ and Scott Howie all play in the veterans league for Cringleford. Matthew Gill used to play for them too, not sure if he still does. Adrian Coote plays in the league too, but he was from around here anyway (Acle, I think?). Paul McVeigh is another one who stuck around I think, his brother certainly still lives/works in Norwich (he's in marketing).

I believe winner of the League Cup 1985 Peter Mendham lives in the area.Ā  Was drinking with him and friends in Bonds in Tombland last day of season 1918 v Leeds which was Wes Hoolahan's final game for us and we bumped into Farke, Maddison, Bryan Gunn, and Oliveira having a celebration.

I shook Farke's hand and wished himĀ  'Viel gluck'Ā  for the following season and he promptly got us promoted.Ā Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

I was over in Norfolk three weeks ago for the half term and he was eating Sunday lunch in the same restaurant as me. My first thought was " I bet he gets told he look a lot like Rick Wakeman" as I didn't think it was him. Then my mum saw him and I googled his photo to confirm. We were desperately trying to keep my dad from noticing him as he wouldn't have left him alone.

Good job you kept your dad away, heā€™s a grumpy old s0d in real life compared to how he is on tv/radio

Greg Downs lives somewhere out Spixworth way or one of the nearby villages as I have seen him outside of Tasty Bites a couple of times...Ā 

I don't think Iwan ever moved away as such and am fairly certain he still lives in the area. If you follow him or Huckerby on twitter I would argue that they are out together too frequently for him not to still live in the area. He certainly was living in the area after he left whilst still playing and after retiring as I used to see him semi frequently in the Mad Moose.

At a guess I would say Hoolahan still does too, I say that because he is good friends with Milligan who does. Sutch also does I believe.

Jeremy Goss does as does Peter Mendham (though he is a local boy after all).Ā 

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Cedric Anselin lives in Spixworth I thinkĀ 

Ah of course, good shout! Absolute legend of a guy, have met him doing mental health campaigning for Mind.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He doesn't does he? Thought he hated the place,Ā 

Thatā€™s why I added the laughing emojis šŸ¤£

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Works for BBC Wales though and does a Welsh podcast, as he's bi-lingual, so can't see him commuting all the time from Norfolk to Wales for work?

Robbo uses my gym on Barrack street and up till the lockdown saw him regularlyĀ 

17 hours ago, chicken said:

Greg Downs lives somewhere out Spixworth way or one of the nearby villages as I have seen him outside of Tasty Bites a couple of times...Ā 

I don't think Iwan ever moved away as such and am fairly certain he still lives in the area. If you follow him or Huckerby on twitter I would argue that they are out together too frequently for him not to still live in the area. He certainly was living in the area after he left whilst still playing and after retiring as I used to see him semi frequently in the Mad Moose.

At a guess I would say Hoolahan still does too, I say that because he is good friends with Milligan who does. Sutch also does I believe.

Jeremy Goss does as does Peter Mendham (though he is a local boy after all).Ā 

Peter Mendham refereed an Under 7s fixture my son played in last season. Did a really good job as well, probably the best I've seen with how he spoke to the players and communicated his decisions to them.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

The Alan Partridge vibes are strong in this thread...

Have you had a view of Alanā€™s statue yet? Itā€™s cocĀ£tastic.Ā 

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Iā€™m not saying that you guys are creepy but this thread kinda gives me the creeps lolB51587A5-824A-45EE-9C0C-D0880CD74CBD.jpeg.c8d5ce55d6a146307fd594008bdb891c.jpeg

My next door neighbour's panties are out on the washing line....

On 23/11/2020 at 15:31, Feedthewolf said:

Pretty sure Big JR used to live in Mulbarton, he was doing some training drills with his lad on the common when we played a Sunday League game there a few years back. Daryl Sutch certainly used to work for Leader's estate agents, I nearly bought a house from him a few years back. Holty, Hucks, DruryĀ and Scott Howie all play in the veterans league for Cringleford. Matthew Gill used to play for them too, not sure if he still does. Adrian Coote plays in the league too, but he was from around here anyway (Acle, I think?). Paul McVeigh is another one who stuck around I think, his brother certainly still lives/works in Norwich (he's in marketing).

Paul McVeighĀ moved back to Belfast a year or so ago. Friends of mine bought hisĀ house in Norwich...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Paul McVeighĀ moved back to Belfast a year or so ago. Friends of mine bought hisĀ house in Norwich...

And he was splitting hi time between Belfast and Norwich for years before that.