8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Didn’t say Tettey was. And we also have the option to buy in about 9 weeks or so, it’s not this situation for the season. 

It may only be 9 weeks or so, but that's 16 games.... a third of a season. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What experience does Tettey have at centre back? 

He played there 3 times last season in an emergency.

In those games we conceded 8 goals, losing 2-0 to Brighton, 2-0 to Watford, and 4-0 to Arsenal. 

When else has he played centre back? Because Transfermarkt has recorded position data for 309 of his games, and it seems to think that those were the only 3. 

I'm probably being a bit unfair but what I was trying to get across is if we're going to have a player on the bench, who at the moment needs to be a reliable option for their primary position whilst being an emergency option for CB, then Tettey's experience of playing with this squad, and in English football, for the last 5 or 6 years, is going to likely put him ahead in the pecking order against Sorensen.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm probably being a bit unfair but what I was trying to get across is if we're going to have a player on the bench, who at the moment needs to be a reliable option for their primary position whilst being an emergency option for CB, then Tettey's experience of playing with this squad, and in English football, for the last 5 or 6 years, is going to likely put him ahead in the pecking order against Sorensen.

And you could add to that reasoning, Farke tends to go with what he knows. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It may only be 9 weeks or so, but that's 16 games.... a third of a season. 

Factoring in that we also have what sounds a very promising CB available currently called Omobamidele and personally I’m still very ok with that situation. And that’s taking into consideration the worst case scenario that Sorenson, despite being labelled as a CB back in Denmark for their U21’s, can’t do the business.

At the end of the day, if I was a massive pessimist like some others, I could always find a chain of events that could bring the downfall to the end of our season whatever was presented to me. It’s really easy to do. What if Pukki, Idah and Hugill all get ruled out for the season over the next week? Could happen after all!

Percentage wise it’s in our favour.

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Factoring in that we also have what sounds a very promising CB available currently called Omobamidele and personally I’m still very ok with that situation. And that’s taking into consideration the worst case scenario that Sorenson, despite being labelled as a CB back in Denmark for their U21’s, can’t do the business.

At the end of the day, if I was a massive pessimist like some others, I could always find a chain of events that could bring the downfall to the end of our season whatever was presented to me. It’s really easy to do. What if Pukki, Idah and Hugill all get ruled out for the season over the next week? Could happen after all!

Percentage wise it’s in our favour.

I don't think you have to be a 'massive pessimist' though do you?

Farke has now ruled Zimmerman out again. So we're one injury/red card away from Tettey in central defence. 

Our two starting central defenders have very little football between them in the last 12 months- the idea of Hanley or Gibson getting an injury isn't exactly far flung.

Also, I'd imagine if Omobamidele was as highly rated as we think he'd be on the bench or even got some minutes in preseason.

16 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't think you have to be a 'massive pessimist' though do you?

Farke has now ruled Zimmerman out again. So we're one injury/red card away from Tettey in central defence. 

Our two starting central defenders have very little football between them in the last 12 months- the idea of Hanley or Gibson getting an injury isn't exactly far flung.

Also, I'd imagine if Omobamidele was as highly rated as we think he'd be on the bench or even got some minutes in preseason.

Well, we will see what happens, KC. If it all goes **** up in central defence then I will be the first to applaud you. But by your reasoning, we may find that all of our strikers are injured in the next week or so. As for Omobamidele, I remember when Max Aarons was thrown into the Ipswich game. Let’s not pretend we knew anything about him then, because we didn’t - the same goes for Omobamidele.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, we will see what happens, KC. If it all goes **** up in central defence then I will be the first to applaud you. But by your reasoning, we may find that all of our strikers are injured in the next week or so. As for Omobamidele, I remember when Max Aarons was thrown into the Ipswich game. Let’s not pretend we knew anything about him then, because we didn’t - the same goes for Omobamidele.

The difference is that we're three injuries/suspensions away from having a makeshift striker. We're one injury away from having Tettey at centre back- there is nobody else available right now.

Also, when Aarons got a chance, was it not out of choice rather than desperation? We could've played Passlack, although I'm not sure if Pinto was fit. The fact that Omobamidele isn't even getting on the bench when there is no other centre back available means that Farke probably doesn't quite think he's ready.

• Thanks 1

Everything I've seen about Omobamidele is that he's a bright prospect but still too raw at this point. Another year of development however...

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The difference is that we're three injuries/suspensions away from having a makeshift striker. We're one injury away from having Tettey at centre back- there is nobody else available right now.

Also, when Aarons got a chance, was it not out of choice rather than desperation? We could've played Passlack, although I'm not sure if Pinto was fit. The fact that Omobamidele isn't even getting on the bench when there is no other centre back available means that Farke probably doesn't quite think he's ready.

Exactly this.

Aarons was chosen- we had Marshall, Pinto and Passlack and he jumped above them all.

Aarons was also involved throughout preseason, suggesting he was part of Farke's thinking from the off (like Lewis the year before).

Fundamentally the difference these players were earmarked and beat off decent competition to earn their place. Omobamidele likely wouldn't even be mentioned if Godfrey was still here.

Edited by king canary

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that if we found ourselves with only one for senior centre back Omobamidele could jump straight into the starting line up, Tettey is probably on the bench instead of him because he can fulfil more than one role and provide a bit more flexibility on the subs bench. 

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We’re not only 1 injury away though, Zimbo is essentially available again. Which will mean precisely zero of the CB’s are injured, or at least not for any length of time as it stands.

As for Aarons that’s a fair point. However, you or I or anyone else on here very likely have no idea on Farke’s thoughts on Omobamidele. He may well rate him very highly yet is happy to go with experience.

If an injury happens during a game then I’d expect to see Tettey being the replacement. He won’t be facing Salah or Aguero this season - the level of opposition must be taken into account.

If the injury occurred during the week then how do you know with any certainty that Omobamidele doesn’t come into the side? Has Farke told you? The reality is we just don’t know his thinking at all!

15 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

We’re not only 1 injury away though, Zimbo is essentially available again. Which will mean precisely zero of the CB’s are injured, or at least not for any length of time as it stands.

As for Aarons that’s a fair point. However, you or I or anyone else on here very likely have no idea on Farke’s thoughts on Omobamidele. He may well rate him very highly yet is happy to go with experience.

If an injury happens during a game then I’d expect to see Tettey being the replacement. He won’t be facing Salah or Aguero this season - the level of opposition must be taken into account.

If the injury occurred during the week then how do you know with any certainty that Omobamidele doesn’t come into the side? Has Farke told you? The reality is we just don’t know his thinking at all!

The fact that Zimmermann isn't on the bench today implies that he's still injured. If Hanley or Gibson have to go off today then it's Tettey at centre back, so we are indeed still one injury away from Tettey.

If Omobamidele isn't deemed ready for the bench when the only realistic option on it is Tettey, it strongly hints that Farke doesn't think he's ready. If Farke thought he was, I'm sure he'd be on the bench.

Of course we don't know for sure how Farke rates Omobamidele. But the evidence we have is...

- Zero minutes in preseason 

- Not on the bench, despite us having no fit central defenders there

- Farke said we wanted another central defender before deadline

I think its pretty clear he's not considered ready on the way our other youngsters who stepped up were.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Of course we don't know for sure how Farke rates Omobamidele. But the evidence we have is...

- Zero minutes in preseason 

- Not on the bench, despite us having no fit central defenders there

- Farke said we wanted another central defender before deadline

I think its pretty clear he's not considered ready on the way our other youngsters who stepped up were.

You’re talking as if I’m suggesting Omobamidele has been looked at to be the first defender named on the team sheet. Just because we have preferable options in front of him doesn’t mean that he won’t get his chance if all the permutations that you fear come into play. That ‘evidence’ doesn’t mean Farke doesn’t rate him either, it just suggests to me that we have.... fit CB’s ahead of him in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that if we found ourselves with only one for senior centre back Omobamidele could jump straight into the starting line up, Tettey is probably on the bench instead of him because he can fulfil more than one role and provide a bit more flexibility on the subs bench. 

Not sure that holds true today.

We’ve got McLean and Vrancic both of whom have played the holding role on the bench, why do we need three? Don’t get me wrong, I think Tettey is the better defensive midfielder of the three, but why do we need three central midfielders on the bench, all of whom can play in a holding midfield role in the case of emergency when we could have two plus a defender if we thought they were ready?

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

We’ve got McLean and Vrancic both of whom have played the holding role on the bench, why do we need three? Don’t get me wrong, I think Tettey is the better defensive midfielder of the three, but why do we need three central midfielders on the bench, all of whom can play in a holding midfield role in the case of emergency when we could have two plus a defender if we thought they were ready?

That’s a fair point. 

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

That’s a fair point. 

I’m not sure why the focus is on centre backs only anyway. If Aarons gets a knock today, Tettey might be drafted in as a flying wing back 😕 

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I’m not sure why the focus is on centre backs only anyway. If Aarons gets a knock today, Tettey might be drafted in as a flying wing back 😕 

You'd imagine it would be Rupp to right back in that situation.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

You'd imagine it would be Rupp to right back in that situation.

I’d hope so, but the image of Tettey winding his way down the wing and whipping in a beauty for Pukki to slot away is far more entertaining.

On 23/10/2020 at 11:23, king canary said:

From what I've read/heard it seems Sorenson has much more experience in that role.

Not to revive a very boring debate but the lack of central defensive reinforcements was offset by some with the idea that Sorenson could fulfil that role. If it turns out that Tettey is the 4th choice that would be a real concern.

From what I've read/heard on here Sorensen as played CB for Denmark U21's.

Hes played for Denmark U'21 seven tims.

Some laud him as our CB saviour

4 hours ago, Aggy said:

I’d hope so, but the image of Tettey winding his way down the wing and whipping in a beauty for Pukki to slot away is far more entertaining.

Nah, he'd just plant one like the hit against Sunderland. 😄

4 hours ago, CDMullins said:

From what I've read/heard on here Sorensen as played CB for Denmark U21's.

Hes played for Denmark U'21 seven tims.

Some laud him as our CB saviour

Totally over the top, none of us are lauding him as a CB saviour, utter nonsense where has anyone said that. He’s capable of standing in if needed, has some experience at a decent level, that’s about it!

• Like 2

On 24/10/2020 at 16:44, Aggy said:

despite was 33 players rooster  in August  at the moment I check that we have no any fit player out of 18 match day sheet.Bali Mumba and Sorensen is only 2 who is with unknown status fit or inj. that is out of 18 .

All others who is fit is on 18 for match, so easy to say we fill the bench with all who is fit simply.

2 deffenders and 3 middf was inj vs Wycumbe as Byrom,Dowell and Onel is long term out and now Idah 3 games susp with probably Marco and Zimbo will be fit soon.

On 22/10/2020 at 13:53, Number9 said:

He was being thrown about like a rag doll in the games I saw.

Maybe he's in the gym bulking up, wouldn't be the first player to do that.

Thought I'd give this a bump. Not doing too bad for a rag doll is he?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He is doing well, certainly looks different from his first games.

19 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

On top of that, all the crowing on here for another CB and thats been the one position we've been ok for!

To say that he is new to this country, this league and is playing out of position he has done wonderfully well. When we have a fit left back he will probably be replaced in that role but given our history of injuries he will be afforded plenty of opportunity to shine in he more comfortable midfield and CB roles

On 24/10/2020 at 13:57, Alex Moss said:

Lakeyo does .