I think its just early days yet.  

Takes different times for different players to adapt to the new country/system etc. 

• Like 1

Skipp and Rupp have been a good combination and shouldn't be broken up IMO. It is possibly a position where we have the most competition and unfortunately he'll have to be patient.

He had a knock and hasn't really been able to get close to the starting line-up yet. Don't worry though, still 40 games to go.

It's like all those people saying 'what must Hugill be thinking' when he didn't start the first 4 games. There were 42 games left and he was always going to have a big part to play. New signings don't have to immediately come into the XI. Same with Gibson. 

Especially with this manager, he always makes new signings learn our patterns in training and then earn their place in the squad - that sends a powerful message to all of the players - that you have to earn it whatever your name is or however good you are. 

The other thing he does is that once players get in the team, the shirt is theirs to lose. If they perform, he doesn't really ever drop them for the sake of it. It usually takes an injury or pretty poor performance to lose your place. For example, Zimbo has now had a minor knock, but having lost his place to Hanley, he probably won't get back in now until there's an injury or suspension. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

In pre-season friendlies? Don't think you can read too much into that.

He was being thrown about like a rag doll in the games I saw.

Maybe he's in the gym bulking up, wouldn't be the first player to do that.

I'm surprised he hasn't being in the squad. He looked good pre-season. 

Perhaps they think of him as a direct replacement for Tettey. Next season we have no Tettey or Skipp. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

He was being thrown about like a rag doll in the games I saw.

Maybe he's in the gym bulking up, wouldn't be the first player to do that.

"Thrown around like a rag doll"? Don't know which games you saw but they weren't any I watched.

I swear if some of our fans were manager we'd have a team made up of bouncers from Prince of Wales Road... 

• Haha 3

I would guess the plan will be to use him at some point because he hasn't been sent on loan.  They soon found clubs for the likes of Sinani etc so no doubt would have done the same for Sorenson if they didn't envisage him getting anywhere near the first team this season.  

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

"Thrown around like a rag doll"? Don't know which games you saw but they weren't any I watched.

I swear if some of our fans were manager we'd have a team made up of bouncers from Prince of Wales Road... 

Maybe Sorenson did a bit of WWE wrestling to keep fit pre season?

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

I swear if some of our fans were manager they wouldn't last half a dozen games despite their in-depth knowledge of what makes a good player 🙄

😉

I'm thinking that it's not an unusual thing under Farke that new arrivals have "sat around" for a bit in order to get acclimatised.

Might be wrong and can't I produce other examples from memory, but Sorensen's situation doesn't seem out of the norm under the current regime.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that it's hilarious how many pinkun posters instantly resort to personal insults, perhaps because starting an argument is more preferable to them than trying to actually find any facts to back up their reasoning. 

I'm a bit confused as to why he hasn't been on the bench- if he's considered a worse option in central defence than Tettey I'd be concerned.

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I'm thinking that it's hilarious how many pinkun posters instantly resort to personal insults, perhaps because starting an argument is more preferable to them than trying to actually find any facts to back up their reasoning. 

Insults aside, I don't particularly remember him being obviously lacking in physicality in any friendlies, but it's fair to assume that Skipp was always likely to be ahead of him anyway. I expect he'll get his chance at some point, but whatever our opinions on here it all comes down to what Farke thinks.

• Like 1

In pre-season friendlies? Don't think you can read too much into that.

Yeah you should, we should beat everyone 8 0 🤪

Insults aside, I don't particularly remember him being obviously lacking in physicality in any friendlies, but it's fair to assume that Skipp was always likely to be ahead of him anyway. I expect he'll get his chance at some point, but whatever our opinions on here it all comes down to what Farke thinks.

It was quite painful to watch, but many players seem lightweight, focus on the gym for a few months and suddenly look like absolute monsters. It was just my observation at the time.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm a bit confused as to why he hasn't been on the bench- if he's considered a worse option in central defence than Tettey I'd be concerned.

I think Tetteys experience in both positions and in this country probably gives him a big heads up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Number9 said:

It was quite painful to watch, but many players seem lightweight, focus on the gym for a few months and suddenly look like absolute monsters. It was just my observation at the time.

Hernandez perhaps the clearest example of body transformation, adding lots of upper body strength/mass.

I think the concern with Sorensen is that he has only ever played in Denmark. Rupp, for instance, had played Bundesliga football so should be a decent footballer and probably just going to take a while to adapt (which we are now starting to see). Hugill we knew what he could do in England. 

That’s not to say Sorensen won’t be good enough. I of course hope he will and am very willing to give a young lad who we own and who could be exactly what we’ve needed for a while a fair go and time to adapt. 

But the longer he doesn’t feature, the more people will wonder whether it is a case of adapting, or whether the step up from Denmark to the championship was just a bit too much. So hopefully we’ll see him in the squad in a few weeks and getting some game time here and there so we can see what he’s like.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hernandez perhaps the clearest example of body transformation, adding lots of upper body strength/mass.

And Emi, it was said by the Clubs recruitment dept that Emi was overweight when we brought him here and they spent time developing his fitness. 

40 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I think the concern with Sorensen is that he has only ever played in Denmark. Rupp, for instance, had played Bundesliga football so should be a decent footballer and probably just going to take a while to adapt (which we are now starting to see). Hugill we knew what he could do in England. 

That’s not to say Sorensen won’t be good enough. I of course hope he will and am very willing to give a young lad who we own and who could be exactly what we’ve needed for a while a fair go and time to adapt. 

But the longer he doesn’t feature, the more people will wonder whether it is a case of adapting, or whether the step up from Denmark to the championship was just a bit too much. So hopefully we’ll see him in the squad in a few weeks and getting some game time here and there so we can see what he’s like.

Brentford have shown that the step from Denmark to the Championship is a fairly manageable one (Pukki also shows this). Seems with Sorenson that he has been a bit unfortunate with a knock and then internationals meaning he is away from Norwich for training.

Central midfield is definitely Norwich's strongest area and I can see why Farke would want the experienced Tettey on the bench ahead of Sorenson. The only downfall of getting knocked out of the League Cup early was players like him, Martin and Mumba can't get a bit of gametime to help their integration into the team. 

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think Tetteys experience in both positions and in this country probably gives him a big heads up.

What experience does Tettey have at centre back? 

He played there 3 times last season in an emergency.

In those games we conceded 8 goals, losing 2-0 to Brighton, 2-0 to Watford, and 4-0 to Arsenal. 

When else has he played centre back? Because Transfermarkt has recorded position data for 309 of his games, and it seems to think that those were the only 3. 

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What experience does Tettey have at centre back? 

He played there 3 times last season in an emergency.

In those games we conceded 8 goals, losing 2-0 to Brighton, 2-0 to Watford, and 4-0 to Arsenal. 

When else has he played centre back? Because Transfermarkt has recorded position data for 309 of his games, and it seems to think that those were the only 3. 

From what I've read/heard it seems Sorenson has much more experience in that role.

Not to revive a very boring debate but the lack of central defensive reinforcements was offset by some with the idea that Sorenson could fulfil that role. If it turns out that Tettey is the 4th choice that would be a real concern.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

From what I've read/heard it seems Sorenson has much more experience in that role.

Not to revive a very boring debate but the lack of central defensive reinforcements was offset by some with the idea that Sorenson could fulfil that role. If it turns out that Tettey is the 4th choice that would be a real concern.

If you factor in Tettey, Sorenson is probably 5th choice to play CB should that even be needed. Unless all 3 of our CB’s get ruled out for the season, which is not likely, if Sorenson did have to cover at CB then the chances are that it would only be for a very short period of time. Though as we’ve not seen him there, we can’t assume he’s not half capable, nor can we rule out him actually doing a good job either. Add all of those factors up and I don’t think there’s much to worry about here at all to be honest. 

36 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Brentford have shown that the step from Denmark to the Championship is a fairly manageable one (Pukki also shows this). Seems with Sorenson that he has been a bit unfortunate with a knock and then internationals meaning he is away from Norwich for training.

Central midfield is definitely Norwich's strongest area and I can see why Farke would want the experienced Tettey on the bench ahead of Sorenson. The only downfall of getting knocked out of the League Cup early was players like him, Martin and Mumba can't get a bit of gametime to help their integration into the team. 

Yep it can happen, but Pukki had played in Germany and Scotland and had regular European experience.  Delgaard at Brentford - full international and a dozen European club performances. Jensens and Norgaard had played in Germany, Italy, Spain and, even if not many games there, you’d expect being scouted and taken on by the likes of Fiorentina would suggest some decent footballing ability, so a bit less of a gamble.

Sorensen I think played his first full season in the Danish second tier, and I think the club got relegated to the second tier again last season. I think he’s played in two UEFA cup qualifiers, one of which he came on as a sub. So a bit more of a gamble.

None of that means he’s guaranteed to definitely fail of course. And he’s young, so should be able to adapt. But, the longer he doesn’t feature, the more people will start to wonder.

Agreed re league cup.

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If you factor in Tettey, Sorenson is probably 5th choice to play CB should that even be needed. Unless all 3 of our CB’s get ruled out for the season, which is not likely, if Sorenson did have to cover at CB then the chances are that it would only be for a very short period of time. Though as we’ve not seen him there, we can’t assume he’s not half capable, nor can we rule out him actually doing a good job either. Add all of those factors up and I don’t think there’s much to worry about here at all to be honest. 

I totally disagree.

Tettey is not a central defender- he is actively not good in that position.

We've already seen Zimmerman miss the last two games.

Games come thick and fast at this point- say we lose Zimmerman and Hanley for a month each- that is likely a 5 or 6 game spell of Tettey in central defence.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I totally disagree.

Tettey is not a central defender- he is actively not good in that position.

We've already seen Zimmerman miss the last two games.

Games come thick and fast at this point- say we lose Zimmerman and Hanley for a month each- that is likely a 5 or 6 game spell of Tettey in central defence.

Didn’t say Tettey was. And we also have the option to buy in about 9 weeks or so, it’s not this situation for the season. Factoring that short time period, I‘m not concerned but each to their own and I respect your opinion, KC.