Disco Dales Jockstrap

Rotherham game NCFC line up & match thread

10 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

How the hell did we win that? 

Still think we need a change of manager, got lucky today wouldn't have got anything without the red card. 

Agree we were lucky to get the win.

Nothing to get excited about today merely relief to win against the 10 men of what will surely be a bottom half team come end of season.

7 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

90 + 12 so you could say they cut that fine 😀

Poor performance - with a a few glances of brilliance from Buendia

3 points are very welcome 

Poor, poor performance but a win is a win. Team looks utterly devoid of confidence and has no fluidity or rhythm about it. Hopefully we can win the next two and build a bit of momentum up. We seriously look like we need it!

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Wynless Jones said:

But if he didn't state he still thinks a change of manager is needed, then you'd moan that he only moans when we lose. 🤷‍♂️

I probably wouldnt. But then again, aside from people whose sign in name includes a reference to the owner and our club losing, I wouldnt assume a posters sole reason for being here was to find an opportunity to moan.

We have the raw product to do well. That doesn’t always mean we will but I just want to see what will happen under farke. 

This season is a write off anyway. Giant frigging asterisk on this one.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

We have the raw product to do well. That doesn’t always mean we will but I just want to see what will happen under farke. 

This season is a write off anyway. Giant frigging asterisk on this one.

Given the ongoing coronavirus situation and our 'self-funding' model, I'd say this season is the absolute opposite of a write-off. Get back up and we can consolidate while many of our competitors outside the top flight are fighting just to stay solvent.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Looks like one of those games where if we get the equaliser, we'll go on to win it. Rotherham's pressing seems to have been brilliant, but keeping up that kind of push for 90 minutes is always very hard work. We've had chances.

Gotta admit, I didn't think it would be via an OG and a penalty...

1 hour ago, Big O said:

LDC I always admire your positivity and I too am a NCFC optimist but I am getting a little worried. We look confused and not half the side we were two years ago.

whilst I also agree with the model of getting young talent and developing them, I think you also need to sign a few players that improve you. We haven’t signed one player permanently in 3 windows now that has actually improved us not one. Yes I also hope that all of the talent comes through quickly and we go on a brilliant run but at the moment we look anything but too 6 material in this league. I hope I eat my words on 90 mins and we have had  chances today but we’ve given Rotherham 2 or 3 good chances and are making them look good when they come forwards.

I am concerned. 

Always brilliant to get a last minute winner so happily chomping on my words @lake district canary . I would say we still need someone to set out tempo and get us playing Rupp and Skipp both playing individually ok does not work for us. 

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Given the ongoing coronavirus situation and our 'self-funding' model, I'd say this season is the absolute opposite of a write-off. Get back up and we can consolidate while many of our competitors outside the top flight are fighting just to stay solvent.

It’s not football though is it? Whoever wins or whatever it’s not going to go down as a vintage season. It is what it is but I can’t take it seriously. I don’t feel like I’m connected to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s not football though is it? Whoever wins or whatever it’s not going to go down as a vintage season. It is what it is but I can’t take it seriously. I don’t feel like I’m connected to it.

I certainly feel that to an extent, sure. But the prize on offer for success is arguably greater this season than it's ever been before. Just a shame it's playing out to empty stadia while we get charged fifteen quid to watch Sheffield United versus f*cking Fulham.

2 minutes ago, Big O said:

. We look confused and not half the side we were two years ago.

That's exactly  how we looked exactly two years ago, then it clicked.  We are trying to shrug off  relegation , give them all a chance to get up and running.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I certainly feel that to an extent, sure. But the prize on offer for success is arguably greater this season than it's ever been before. Just a shame it's playing out to empty stadia while we get charged fifteen quid to watch Sheffield United versus f*cking Fulham.

I see what you mean but we’ve always said that “if we go up this year it’s worth more than ever before” is a common occurrence with us.

Just now, The Real Buh said:

I see what you mean but we’ve always said that “if we go up this year it’s worth more than ever before” is a common occurrence with us.

I think that the current financial situation brought about by coronavirus is way more severe than the incremental increases in TV broadcasting revenue. Plenty of clubs are likely to go out of existence, or at least into administration. Get up this season and we will give ourselves our best ever chance to mitigate the lack of wealth of our owners.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think that the current financial situation brought about by coronavirus is way more severe than the incremental increases in TV broadcasting revenue. Plenty of clubs are likely to go out of existence, or at least into administration. Get up this season and we will give ourselves our best ever chance to mitigate the lack of wealth of our owners.

Can’t argue with that. Anything to maximise our chances of survival during all this.

13 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Poor, poor performance but a win is a win. Team looks utterly devoid of confidence and has no fluidity or rhythm about it. Hopefully we can win the next two and build a bit of momentum up. We seriously look like we need it!

It's the lack of fluidity that's causing the problem, lots of passes going astray. Have to say I'm not convinced about the midfield pairing of Skip and Rupp. Wouldn't mind seeing Tetts back in there for Rupp, but certainly not McLean. Idah didn't do it for me either, Cantwell back in asap.

Strange tactics today when we play Hugill and then play narrrow. 

Farke's search for his best XI and tactics continues!

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Can’t argue with that. Anything to maximise our chances of survival during all this.

Yep. And, conversely, get marooned in this division for a couple of years and all the good work to become self-sufficient could be undone, as we'll have to sell all the remaining talents just to stay afloat, rather than to reinvest. I would go as far as to say this could be one of the most important seasons in our entire history.

Which makes it all the more odd to feel so disconnected to it all.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's the lack of fluidity that's causing the problem, lots of passes going astray. Have to say I'm not convinced about the midfield pairing of Skip and Rupp. Wouldn't mind seeing Tetts back in there for Rupp, but certainly not McLean. Idah didn't do it for me either, Cantwell back in asap.

I'd agree with this, and is my major frustration with Farke, play Pukki as a loan striker and we play Placheta or the like and go wider, but play Hugill and we go narrow. I get he's got lesser options now with Hernandez injured, but he just seems to get the tactic/selection combo completely opposite at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep. And, conversely, get marooned in this division for a couple of years and all the good work to become self-sufficient could be undone, as we'll have to sell all the remaining talents just to stay afloat, rather than to reinvest. I would go as far as to say this could be one of the most important seasons in our entire history.

Which makes it all the more odd to feel so disconnected to it all.

Agree with this too, which is why it's imperative we get into a constant flow of good performances and results sooner rather than later, Farke has to build on today immediately we don't have time for messing about. 

Edited by Michael Wynless Jones

3 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I'd agree with this, and is my major frustration with Farke, play Pukki as a loan striker and we play Placheta or the like and go wider, but play Hugill and we go narrow. I get he's got lesser options now with Hernandez injured, but he just seems to get the tactic/selection combo completely opposite at the moment. 

I think he said today that Placheta wasn't fit enough to start. I think he'd probably have started if fit enough, for precisely that reason. Pukki had a lot of load on international duty too, so probably a good decision to rest him today.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Ahh we won! Agree with the second bit, let's let it lie.

The beauty of a forum, wouldn’t it be a boring place if we all agreed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

That's exactly  how we looked exactly two years ago, then it clicked.  We are trying to shrug off  relegation , give them all a chance to get up and running.

I hope so, I really do, you can tell there is talent there but I think we are that one midfielder short, they all have their weaknesses but Trybull, Leitner and Vrancic can all pass the ball and we have looked at our best when at least one of them is playing. 

Simply have to find a way of getting Vrancic in the team....and also Hugill and Pukki in tandem

either....

Skipp  Vrancic

Buendia  Pukki    Cantwell

Hugill

Or...

Rupp    Skipp

Buendia  Vrancic   Pukki

Hugill

Or...

Skipp

Rupp   Vrancic

Buendia

Pukki      Hugill

Or....plain old fasioned 442

Buendia   Skipp Vrancic  Placheta

Pukki   Hugill

58 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Simply have to find a way of getting Vrancic in the team....and also Hugill and Pukki in tandem

either....

Skipp  Vrancic

Buendia  Pukki    Cantwell

Hugill

Or...

Rupp    Skipp

Buendia  Vrancic   Pukki

Hugill

Or...

Skipp

Rupp   Vrancic

Buendia

Pukki      Hugill

Or....plain old fasioned 442

Buendia   Skipp Vrancic  Placheta

Pukki   Hugill

1st one too open - Pukki basically plays as second striker and you’ve then got Vrancic wide open. He isn’t mobile enough to be a holding midfielder with no support in front of him. Same for old fashioned 442.

Second one wouldn’t want to see Pukki on the wing. 

Third one could work. We forego our wide men but perhaps gives Aarons and Quintilla more licence to bomb forward. In reality I expect it would be more of a flat midfield three behind Buendia, with one of Rupp, Skipp, Vrancic getting forward each attack and the other two holding.

Edited by Aggy

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Have been saying since that the start of the season that Tettey should be playing, though personally I would play him instead of Skip rather than Rupp who looks to be on his way to becoming another Webber/Farke 'find'.

Cantwell back in asap for sure, and also Pukki. Would love to see us start with both Pukki and Hugill but can't see it happening.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Two ideal opponents next, you’d have to expect 6 points which would put us nicely up the table. 

I'm looking forward to Tuesday night now far more because of today's result and manner of the win. Rotherham must be kicking themselves....missed a penalty, conceded a penalty, a red card plus an own goal. Yet, looking at the stats of the game, they were all on the plus side for us and we didn't give up. Plus Hugill was determined to get take that penalty. I fancy us to score a few for some reason Tuesday.