Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Villa v Liverpool

There were signs of it even last season towards the end. A million miles away from that unbeaten run.

3 minutes ago, Aggy said:

All I can say is I’m glad Alisson was injured. Had transferred him into my fantasy team this week and I took Mings out expecting Villa to be on the end of a thrashing. At least Salah has got me a few points!

Just stuck Salah in luckily. I think he is the only points I've got from my awful selection.

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s not what I saw/read.  And to me it is still nauseating that it ‘worked’ - I’d never want to risk ruination of my club, something that ultimately relied on a computer system failure to get there.

No they didn’t, that never occurred in the last minute of the last match. They stayed up just but on merit for a tremendous finish to the season. Every team had good, bad and awful decisions from VAR. 

Villa have strengthened brilliantly this summer and Liverpool woefully underestimated them. Suicidal football for 90 mins.

Luiz, McGinn and Barkley are a fantastic Premier League midfield. Watkins looks very dangerous too. Have to admit I'm pretty jealous. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No they didn’t, that never occurred in the last minute of the last match. They stayed up just but on merit for a tremendous finish to the season. Every team had good, bad and awful decisions from VAR. 

The timing of it has nothing to do with it, no matter how you dress it up. It also didn't have anything to do with VAR either, it only took a Linesman to have some balls and do what he was paid for. Nothing to do with spending nor a faulty battery/signal.

Liverpool players literally couldn’t have cared less as the goals went in. That’s what they should really worry about. Pathetic.

17 minutes ago, Aggy said:

All I can say is I’m glad Alisson was injured. Had transferred him into my fantasy team this week and I took Mings out expecting Villa to be on the end of a thrashing. At least Salah has got me a few points!

Decided to early wildcard it this season as its obvious there's no point spending decent money on defenders, took out Robertson, Van **** and Maguire, happy days 😁

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ah! Best one.

Never know, by January it could be back to wanting to be Sheffield United - although I did have them down for relegation this season.

You had about 7 teams down for relegation including Leeds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You had about 7 teams down for relegation including Leeds. 

I didn't have seven. Leeds have started well but they need to, they drop off badly with Bielsa. The restart gave them much needed time to regain fitness and staminaa.

I know you were very "why aren't we Sheffield" last season but there's no need to be silly about it.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So... Ollie Watkins. Turns out he was worth that much huh?

Only if one game nets them £30 mill in revenue.

57 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Look at all the stick Leeds and Villa got on here for spending their TV bounty after promotion.

What it essentially means is that Villa got to keep hold of Grealish and now have a real chance of establishing themselves in the Premier League.

And if it didn't keep them up? Guess what, they could have recouped half their spend by selling Grealish and a lot of the rest by selling McGinn and Mings.

We rolled over last season, and look where it has got us.... back to square one. Not to the promotion season, but I'd argue back to the season before that, when we needed a transition year to find our feet.

Fair play to Villa and Leeds for really going for it, that's the difference between clubs which believe they deserve to be established Premier League teams, and clubs like ours who consider a cheeky year in the Prem to be the pinnacle of our ambition and the limit of our status in the game.

Not once have we ever had the mindset that we can establish ourselves in the top tier under Delia, despite having had a decade of top flight football prior to her owning the club.

We're stuck in this mindset perpetually. 

Yes because too many of our fans are brainwashed by the cult. They laughed long and hard at stupid Aston Villa spending money to stay up. The idiots!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I didn't have seven. Leeds have started well but they need to, they drop off badly with Bielsa. The restart gave them much needed time to regain fitness and staminaa.

I know you were very "why aren't we Sheffield" last season but there's no need to be silly about it.

It was a little tease! You only named 4/5 really. 

How long do you have to keep wanting to be the team you choose? Is it just a single season thing?

There's just no loyalty in "I wish we were..."

#pray for Sheffield Utd.

Villa gave it a go last season - they reap the rewards.

We conceded in August 2019 and appear set on a Huddersfieldesc trajectory.

But, I’m sure ‘we’ll come back stronger‘.

Let’s hope it’s not from tier 3, again.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Look at all the stick Leeds and Villa got on here for spending their TV bounty after promotion.

What it essentially means is that Villa got to keep hold of Grealish and now have a real chance of establishing themselves in the Premier League.

And if it didn't keep them up? Guess what, they could have recouped half their spend by selling Grealish and a lot of the rest by selling McGinn and Mings.

We rolled over last season, and look where it has got us.... back to square one. Not to the promotion season, but I'd argue back to the season before that, when we needed a transition year to find our feet.

Fair play to Villa and Leeds for really going for it, that's the difference between clubs which believe they deserve to be established Premier League teams, and clubs like ours who consider a cheeky year in the Prem to be the pinnacle of our ambition and the limit of our status in the game.

Not once have we ever had the mindset that we can establish ourselves in the top tier under Delia, despite having had a decade of top flight football prior to her owning the club.

We're stuck in this mindset perpetually. 

Correct (sadly!). For proof, just go back to when we promoted under Worthy. The Cook said..........'we're just going to enjoy this lovely holiday'. I was absolutely livid at the time and posted as such only to be howled down by all the 'Happy Clappers' who thought then (and still think then) that The Cook was / is the most wonderful owner any club you could possibly have!  SIXTEEN years later and a 79 year old ex chef STILL in charge, absolutely ZERO has changed.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct (sadly!). For proof, just go back to when we promoted under Worthy. The Cook said..........'we're just going to enjoy this lovely holiday'. I was absolutely livid at the time and posted as such only to be howled down by all the 'Happy Clappers' who thought then (and still think then) that The Cook was / is the most wonderful owner any club you could possibly have!  SIXTEEN years later and a 79 year old ex chef STILL in charge, absolutely ZERO has changed.   

The penny will drop one day, not quite so many of them now. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Incredible, a different team does well and somehow it turns into a complaint about us.  Give it a rest!  All it proves is what I have been saying for years - it's football and anything can happen. 

It’s a Norwich message board so comparisons and what might have been talk is inevitable.