Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

47 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Amazing times at the moment, when Madders was sold for over 20 mill it was way above what any previous City player had been sold for and now, if Godfrey and Cantwell are both on their way, that would presumably  have raked in around 60 mill for those two plus Jamal, plus  add ons eventually adding another 10 mill or so as far as we know. This is serious money, especially in these Covid stricken times and adds yet more credence to Webber when he said City 's young golden boys would  not be sold south of 20 mill each.

We still await whether Emi and Max can make it thru this transfer period as City players, but fact is we  bought guys in well ahead of our young diamonds being sold, the squad is no longer bloated as it was a few weeks back and it now gives the likes of Xavi, Ben Gibson, Placheta and others to stamp down a place in the matchday squads. To, it will feel like a much more new squad for this season, with the likes of Idah and Josh Martin hopefully coming thru also. I wish Ben Godfrey all the best at Everton, Todd to if he is to depart. Always a tinge of sadness when such ones depart the club, but its always been thus and NCFC are rolling on  despite Covid and lack of crowds, for that is the absolute  most important thing...the well being and survival of the club.

Great post 👍

If by some remarkable chance we still have Emi and Max here at the end of the window, coupled with the huge amount of signings we’ve made, then I will absolutely fail to see how anyone sane can describe it as anything other than an excellent window. Our proactiveness from even just before the window opening surprised me as a raft of young talent, some experienced heads, and a couple of excellent loan players, all arriving in quick succession is something to be only commended - not criticised. Some people are never grateful I guess. A shame but at least there are plenty of City supporters that are thankful and recognise the efforts made after a difficult season by Webber and Farke, whilst not forgetting the excellent scouting team. If that makes me a happy clapper then so be it - I think it’s been a very good window all things considered.

• Like 2

Sad to see Godfrey go as of all the youngsters here, i think he probably has the biggest future of all.

Not yet the finished article.....but he will be. Future England CB regular.

3 minutes ago, interwebme said:

Came here to say this:

Ben Gonefrey 

Ben Goneforafee? Someone now saying this morning that Ben hasn’t agreed to Everton’s personal terms just yet, but I don’t believe that at all, was on the understanding that personal terms are nearly always agreed prior to a bid being made? So not buying that myself. Wish him well, a strong season and he might just be playing football next summer too 🦁 🦁 🦁 

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

Sad to see Godfrey go as of all the youngsters here, i think he probably has the biggest future of all.

Not yet the finished article.....but he will be. Future England CB regular.

Was just typing the same, Duke! Can see him in the seniors next summer if he keeps his head down, which we know he will 👍

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ben Goneforafee? Someone now saying this morning that Ben hasn’t agreed to Everton’s personal terms just yet, but I don’t believe that at all, was on the understanding that personal terms are nearly always agreed prior to a bid being made? So not buying that myself. Wish him well, a strong season and he might just be playing football next summer too 🦁🦁🦁 

He'll agree terms easily, ignore the money but playing under Farke or Ancellotti?? Not exactly a hard choice. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

He'll agree terms easily, ignore the money but playing under Farke or Ancellotti?? Not exactly a hard choice. 

Ancelotti’s a legend, but I think you’re doing Farke a bit of a disservice there. I would imagine the fact that Everton have started well, have as solid a Premier League status as is possible, and can offer much bigger wages is probably all the draw he needs. Premier League football, end of. I doubt very much he thinks Daniel Farke is a poor manager - would put money on the opposite in fact.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Ake is an established Dutch international who Bournemouth themselves paid £20m for... seems fair

True but then Adam Webster from Bristol had only played championship football and moved to Brighton for twenty

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ancelotti’s a legend, but I think you’re doing Farke a bit of a disservice there. I would imagine the fact that Everton have started well, have as solid a Premier League status as is possible, and can offer much bigger wages is probably all the draw he needs. Premier League football, end of. I doubt very much he thinks Daniel Farke is a poor manager - would put money on the opposite in fact.

Godfrey will probably also appreciate to some degree that Farke picked him and made it clear he see's him as a CB despite the wailing from some fans that they think he's a DM (he's not), and that's why Everton are buying him in the first place

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, so Everton can sign a player tomorrow but we can't? 

We have a huge scouting department, I'm pretty sure they will know who they'd like at centre back. 

But if it were a game of Football Manager then I'd go and steal Luke Woolfendeen from the paupers. Quick, skillful ball playing centre back who is great at carrying the ball out from theback and great in the air.

Well I'm game. Why can't we get him. They have done this to us in many many years gone by. Let's do it. I think they said recently his price is £4m. Probably be a bit more as it's us, but if no one else is bidding then they may HAVE to take our £4m, either way, we need some pace at centre back, especially as we have lost Lewis' pace. Would anyone be against signing the Woolf?

11 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we just did with Gibson... Zimmermann and Hanley are top quality at this level, just need one of them to stay fit. Klose staying fit would be a bonus though sadly I'd admit

I know Ben Godfrey would of wanted to go, and for all intent and purposes we had to sell/was always going to sell him (that's not to discount the argument that we shouldn't of sold any of them and built a team around the crown jewels, but that's another argument and probably one to be linked to us not making a decent fist of last year) this is the way I see it about Ben Godfrey leaving-

Very sad news. £25m isn't bad but we lose 10percent to York as a sell on clause. So 22.5m, gutted. What say you?

This leaves zimbo (out of form at moment, but I'd play him as first choice for his character and heart Every week, just hope he is over his injuries)

Gibson, who has played about 5 games in over two-year. (We have a obligation to buy if we are promoted for £9million -which makes Godfrey seem cheap)

Klose. most consider him past it and a crock. Got to be his last year here you assume.

Hanley. Fitness concerns still.

Famewo loaned to Charlton last week. Untried in the champ.

Mark my words, we will be seeing tettey at CB come end of season - that's the sad news.

You never know, maybe Farke has the Godfrey switch in mind for Lungi Sorenson... none of us have really seen what he can do yet

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Godfrey will probably also appreciate to some degree that Farke picked him and made it clear he see's him as a CB despite the wailing from some fans that they think he's a DM (he's not), and that's why Everton are buying him in the first place

I don’t know for sure obviously but if I had to put money on it, C, I have a feeling that Ben will have nothing but good things to say all round about our manager. I have no doubt he will be very grateful for how Farke has helped shaped probably the most important part of his career, just as Jimmy Maddison always has been. It appears to be almost galling to some, but DF’s a popular guy and I expect the likes of Todd and Emi will reflect in time and say he was just what I needed at an age where I needed my feet kept on the ground.

Wesley Fofana (19 years old, playing in Ligue 1) is heading to Leicester for £30m

whilst not a BAD fee, I think we could (maybe should) have been looking for £30m+ for the captain of England U21’s

that said, if it’s the only offer on the table AND the player desperately wants to go, we are a bit screwed. 

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

You never know, maybe Farke has the Godfrey switch in mind for Lungi Sorenson... none of us have really seen what he can do yet

Looking at his build I don;t see Sorensen as a centre back. Perhaps in an emergency. I still really hope we have him earmarked for that role alongside Skipp. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

BBC website says that actually we only spent £150k

That was the initial fee, but with add ons was just under £1m according to our accounts

No announcement yet that this has been completed yet he supposedly completed his medical on Friday. Maybe I'm just being silly but maybe someone else has come in for him.

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

No announcement yet that this has been completed yet he supposedly completed his medical on Friday. Maybe I'm just being silly but maybe someone else has come in for him.

Yep, was wondering what the delay was in announcing him myself. You wouldn’t think the medical would be an issue so they’re certainly taking their time.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, was wondering what the delay was in announcing him myself. You wouldn’t think the medical would be an issue so they’re certainly taking their time.

Maybe people like weekends off. I don’t remember many completions on a Sat/Sun.

Bit like buying a house really.....🙂

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The way it's going for ManUre a highjack of Godfrey deal might not be unbelievable 🤣 Another £10m????

13 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Maybe people like weekends off. I don’t remember many completions on a Sat/Sun.

Bit like buying a house really.....🙂

Isn’t it weekends when football people are at their most busy? 😉

Think you’re right though, as others have said probably just going to announce it tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We had any updates yet? Wasnt he supposed to be having a medical with the the other day? Heard nothing about it

Haven't you had the email?

He was pictured at Everton training ground yesterday and medical was complete. Probably just tying up personal terms or Everton waiting to announce. Might be us holding up the announcement if we're working on a transfer or two to give us the immediate PR positive bounceback. Who knows. No doubt he's going/gone to Everton though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Perhaps crisis club Man Utd are trying to hijack the deal - they could certainly do with some pace at the back. 😉 

When the scores were coming in I had exactly the same thoughts. 

A bidding war between the two would be great wouldn't it 🤣