Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

7 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Think he is worth more but as with any negotiation you have to balance it against the possibility that if we keep pushing for more they back out completely. That assumes that the player is keen to go but I can’t imagine the possibility of playing with James Rodriguez under Carlo Ancelotti was a difficult sell against playing for us in a Championship battle,  with half our support still convinced he’s playing out of position based on a loan spell at Shrewsbury😉
He’s a northern lad, he’s been good for us and this is a logical next step. We’ve also been handsomely rewarded financially. I wish him well and I’m praying for the hambag as it must be bursting at the seams right now. 

Spot on, Duncs - says all that needs to be said 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Then bring someone in as first choice CB as Godfrey was. All transfers should be an improvement on what we have.

we just did with Gibson... Zimmermann and Hanley are top quality at this level, just need one of them to stay fit. Klose staying fit would be a bonus though sadly I'd admit

Well, we've done Rio Ferdinand a favour here, is there anyone on his agency's books that could do a job here?  That's the way it works isn't it?  Transfer begats fee for agent, begats another transfer hich begats another agent's fee.  More money drifts out the game.... 

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

they didn't Buy any of them though ,that's the worry 

Emi is a cracking player and that was a Webber signing 

They trust youngsters but i don't think they had much choice to play them as we were skint at the time 

Not knocking Webber and Farke but i think they were lucky we had Aarons Lewis Godfrey Cantwell at the club already

I don't think that's fair.

It was pretty well documented that no one at the club saw Lewis as anything near a first team prospect until Farke came in.

Equally, rather than play an experienced versatile player at RB in an East Anglian Derby, with Pinto also at the club, he played Max and kept him in the starting lineup.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

only because a spate of unprecedented injuries forced us to. Who is going to come here and be 5th choice centre back and actually improve us?

Well clearly you sign somebody good enough to be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice centre back, and the person who is your 4th best becomes your 5th best by default.

Like McGovern, who became our 3rd choice goalkeeper when we signed Fahrmann. 

You don't sign a 5th choice anything, you get left with a 5th choice when somebody shows that they aren't as good as the other 4. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Then bring someone in as first choice CB as Godfrey was. All transfers should be an improvement on what we have.

that is how i thought the plan should work sell Godfrey for 25+ million 

Bank some and Spend some on the best player we can get 

Another good thing about him going to Everton, if he really is all that then he'll get a move to one of the elites for £50+m and we'll get a decent cut of that too.

If he'd gone straight to an elite club, the only move would have been if he wasn't good enough and moving for a low fee to get him off the books

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we just did with Gibson... Zimmermann and Hanley are top quality at this level, just need one of them to stay fit. Klose staying fit would be a bonus though sadly I'd admit

Neither Zimmermann or Hanley are anywhere near Godfrey level. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I don't think that's fair.

It was pretty well documented that no one at the club saw Lewis as anything near a first team prospect until Farke came in.

Equally, rather than play an experienced versatile player at RB in an East Anglian Derby, with Pinto also at the club, he played Max and kept him in the starting lineup.

Fair Play all this Godfrey talk i forgot Pinto was here at the time 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Without wanting to jeopardise our significantly improved relationship and the strange way our opinions have become so frequently aligned recently hogesar,.... Lewis was actually training with the first team under Alan Irvine for the last few months of the previous season. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And the ability to convert the Murphy's and Maddison into cash, who were also already here.

Jury is still out on whether the club can consistently identify and bring in these gems. 

We seem to sign a lot of U23 players, but we spent £1m on Godfrey didn't we? And have we spent that much on a teenager since? I don't think so, Bushiri was a few hundred grand I think. 

Godfrey did have interest elsewhere.

I'd honestly be happy if Webber just went ahead and purchased 3 or 4 twenty year olds at £2m each if they were good enough to break into our squad down the line, and banked the rest of the cash.

My concern is that two or three terrible transfer windows leaves me worried about our recruitment this summer, I hope that players like Placheta shine but he looks so raw at the moment. 

And if Farke decides he's had enough and walks, then we have the added complication of needing to get his replacement right and hope that he can develop a player like Farke has for our youngsters. 

BBC website says that actually we only spent £150k

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well clearly you sign somebody good enough to be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice centre back, and the person who is your 4th best becomes your 5th best by default.

Like McGovern, who became our 3rd choice goalkeeper when we signed Fahrmann. 

You don't sign a 5th choice anything, you get left with a 5th choice when somebody shows that they aren't as good as the other 4. 

I get what you're saying, I just don't think its realistic unless you don't have faith in any of Zimm, Hanley or Klose to be good enough.

Say we signed the next Van Dijk to partner Gibson, what would be the point of us having Klose, Hanley and Zimm here? We'd end up having to move one of them on. Having Famewo out on loan but with a recall in Jan seems like a fair compromise. I did think we might have seen Bushiri this season

1 minute ago, Rabbit hole said:

I think we are all forgetting our best defender last year was Tettey

Byram was our best defender, never had a bad game when fit. Was just hardly any fit. 

But then if he wasn't so injury prone West Ham wouldn't have flogged him to us. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Without wanting to jeopardise our significantly improved relationship and the strange way our opinions have become so frequently aligned recently hogesar,.... Lewis was actually training with the first team under Alan Irvine for the last few months of the previous season. 

I dont remember seeing that anywhere at the time? And when Farke first came in Lewis wasn't with the first team, was he? There was quite a big deal made about, I think, Lewis coming out of nowhere to play in the Gorleston friendly?

Say we signed the next Van Dijk to partner Gibson, what would be the point of us having Klose, Hanley and Zimm here? We'd end up having to move one of them on. 

Yes that's how it works when teams seek to continuously improve, you end up with a bit of deadwood that isn't good enough to get any game time. That's what happened when we signed Hugill because he's better than Drmic and promoted Idah to the first team squad.

Now Drmic needs to be moved on. So we shouldn't have signed Hugill, because it means we've got to try and move Drmic on?

The idea that we avoid signing the next Van Djik because it might be upsetting to Grant Hanley is one of the strangest things I've read for a while to be frank (although Lakey has been very quiet). 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes that's how it works when teams seek to continuously improve, you end up with a bit of deadwood that isn't good enough to get any game time. That's what happened when we signed Hugill because he's better than Drmic and promoted Idah to the first team squad.

Now Drmic needs to be moved on. So we shouldn't have signed Hugill, because it means we've got to try and move Drmic on?

The idea that we avoid signing the next Van Djik because it might be upsetting to Grant Hanley is one of the strangest things I've read for a while to be frank (although Lakey has been very quiet). 

It ain't football manager mate, who do you suggest we go out and sign? Do you not think the 4 centre backs we have are enough?

It ain't football manager mate, who do you suggest we go out and sign? Do you not think the 4 centre backs we have are enough?

They’re injury prone though

I think £25 m is a reasonable figure but arguably not enough bearing in mind Man City paid £41 m for Nathan Ake. Ben is a really good prospect but as a central defender I feel that he still has a bit to learn i.e. heading/marking. In all the circumstances a correct decision by the Board.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont remember seeing that anywhere at the time? And when Farke first came in Lewis wasn't with the first team, was he? There was quite a big deal made about, I think, Lewis coming out of nowhere to play in the Gorleston friendly?

I might be getting mixed up with another player, possibly Cantwell. One of these youngsters was definitely brought into the first team mix by Irvine. 

That's the biggest threat to the conveyor belt though, appointing the wrong manager after Farke. I'm sure we all remember when Roeder packed Chris Martin off to League Two and yet played Robert Eagle and gave him a new contract.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Oh right, so Everton can sign a player tomorrow but we can't? 

We have a huge scouting department, I'm pretty sure they will know who they'd like at centre back. 

But if it were a game of Football Manager then I'd go and steal Luke Woolfendeen from the paupers. Quick, skillful ball playing centre back who is great at carrying the ball out from theback and great in the air.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, vos said:

I think £25 m is a reasonable figure but arguably not enough bearing in mind Man City paid £41 m for Nathan Ake. Ben is a really good prospect but as a central defender I feel that he still has a bit to learn i.e. heading/marking. In all the circumstances a correct decision by the Board.

Ake is an established Dutch international who Bournemouth themselves paid £20m for... seems fair

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, so Everton can sign a player tomorrow but we can't? 

We have a huge scouting department, I'm pretty sure they will know who they'd like at centre back. 

But if it were a game of Football Manager then I'd go and steal Luke Woolfendeen from the paupers. Quick, skillful ball playing centre back who is great at carrying the ball out from theback and great in the air.

decent suggestion but I don't think I'd have him in the side over Gibson, Zimm or Hanley. On that note, I don't think he'd join. I reckon Famewo is being lined up to be our mainstay long term anyway

32 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If you're talking about Yasser Larouci, he's an attacking left back.

Yes he is I got that wrong. Sounds a good player 

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

decent suggestion but I don't think I'd have him in the side over Gibson, Zimm or Hanley. On that note, I don't think he'd join. I reckon Famewo is being lined up to be our mainstay long term anyway

Gibson + Famewo = our left footed centre backs.

Zimmermann + ??? = our right footed centre backs.

Klose (post-injury) and Hanley miles off being good enough for the league above, which is where we aspire to be. Sign another 21/22 year old centre back, bed him in this season and sack Klose and Hanley off.

I personally don't care if it means we don't use Hanley this season, why would I? Only used him 7 times the last time we got promoted and we were close to selling him back to the Championship when we got promoted, meaning a centre back signing must have fallen through that summer. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Yes he is I got that wrong. Sounds a good player 

He's very good. Can also play left midfield too, so if we did sell Cantwell and brought Larouci in on loan to offer cover/depth on the left side, that would be very good business.

I think we gotta a good fee for godfrey , still gotta a lot to learn   but under ancellotti there's every chance he will , it will be interesting to see how he does ,also it looks like they bought him for cb role .

Amazing times at the moment, when Madders was sold for over 20 mill it was way above what any previous City player had been sold for and now, if Godfrey and Cantwell are both on their way, that would presumably  have raked in around 60 mill for those two plus Jamal, plus  add ons eventually adding another 10 mill or so as far as we know. This is serious money, especially in these Covid stricken times and adds yet more credence to Webber when he said City 's young golden boys would  not be sold south of 20 mill each.

We still await whether Emi and Max can make it thru this transfer period as City players, but fact is we  bought guys in well ahead of our young diamonds being sold, the squad is no longer bloated as it was a few weeks back and it now gives the likes of Xavi, Ben Gibson, Placheta and others to stamp down a place in the matchday squads. To, it will feel like a much more new squad for this season, with the likes of Idah and Josh Martin hopefully coming thru also. I wish Ben Godfrey all the best at Everton, Todd to if he is to depart. Always a tinge of sadness when such ones depart the club, but its always been thus and NCFC are rolling on  despite Covid and lack of crowds, for that is the absolute  most important thing...the well being and survival of the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Amazing times at the moment, when Madders was sold for over 20 mill it was way above what any previous City player had been sold for and now, if Godfrey and Cantwell are both on their way, that would presumably  have raked in around 60 mill for those two plus Jamal, plus  add ons eventually adding another 10 mill or so as far as we know. This is serious money, especially in these Covid stricken times and adds yet more credence to Webber when he said City 's young golden boys would  not be sold south of 20 mill each.

We still await whether Emi and Max can make it thru this transfer period as City players, but fact is we  bought guys in well ahead of our young diamonds being sold, the squad is no longer bloated as it was a few weeks back and it now gives the likes of Xavi, Ben Gibson, Placheta and others to stamp down a place in the matchday squads. To, it will feel like a much more new squad for this season, with the likes of Idah and Josh Martin hopefully coming thru also. I wish Ben Godfrey all the best at Everton, Todd to if he is to depart. Always a tinge of sadness when such ones depart the club, but its always been thus and NCFC are rolling on  despite Covid and lack of crowds, for that is the absolute  most important thing...the well being and survival of the club.

Well said, first bit of sanity I’ve read tonight