Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ironically it will be Gibson who will benefit by Godfrey leaving...but I'm wondering if he's having a re-think about the 'project' he was sold upon signing for us??

Gibson won't have anything to 'rethink' ... what is happening with Godrey (and what happened with Lewis) is the ''project' he was sold'.

Buy low,

sell high,

reinvest in raw talent/facilities/new signings (like Gibson),

repeat

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

That’s testament to how well we spot and develop talent. 

Exactly. If we haven’t been a feeder club for bigger clubs than us in the past, that’s precisely because we didn’t have any players they were interested in. 

• Like 1

All very well but this isn't Football Manager. At some point we are going to have to field a team that can actually win football matches. Seems we are faced with the situation of selling off the crown jewels and replacing them with loanees.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Why loanees? 

Can you honestly see us stumping up £10m plus for a like for like replacement for any of our crown jewels?

On the evidence of last season, when we had the luxury of EPL money, we didn't. I don't see why we will now.

I live in hope of being pleasantly surprised.

You wouldn’t put it past our recruitment team picking up decent replacements for far less than that kind of figure. They built a title winning team for a very modest sum after all. 

11 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ironically it will be Gibson who will benefit by Godfrey leaving...but I'm wondering if he's having a re-think about the 'project' he was sold upon signing for us??

IF anything he probably signed on the basis there was a good chance Godfrey would be moving on, giving him the starting place he wants.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can you honestly see us stumping up £10m plus for a like for like replacement for any of our crown jewels?

On the evidence of last season, when we had the luxury of EPL money, we didn't. I don't see why we will now.

I live in hope of being pleasantly surprised.

I  can't see us paying £10 mill at championship level unless it was an exceptional opportunity for a single player.

However, we didn't need to spend that to get Buendia. We could easily spend double, triple the initial fee Buendia cost us to give us more play-room in trying to find replacements.

12 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Someone from Turkey maybe?

If we can get someone half as good as Soyuncu at Leicester I'd be happy..............

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If we can get someone half as good as Soyuncu at Leicester I'd be happy..............

A lot of other City supporters wouldn’t like him though, Thirsty. He has hair issues which would see him have to shut his social media down

• Like 1

And now the main site is reporting that we've 'dismissed' a bid of £20 million + £5 million in add ons for Godfrey. Interesting times. 

(I like the word 'dismissed'. It conjures up images of Webber waving Everton away with a magisterial sweep of his hand.........😄)

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And now the main site is reporting that we've turned down a bid of £20 million + £5 million in add ons for Godfrey. Interesting times. 

Well either our players aren't as good as we think, or other teams are trying to get our players on the cheap. If we were strapped for cash we wouldn't be in a very good position, but haven't they been watching for the last 12 months? 

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

They would spend £10 million only if the chances of re-selling for £20 million was high. 

Good - that's a great way to run a successful business - buy low sell high. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And now the main site is reporting that we've 'dismissed' a bid of £20 million + £5 million in add ons for Godfrey. Interesting times. 

(I like the word 'dismissed'. It conjures up images of Webber waving Everton away with a magisterial sweep of his hand.........😄)

You would expect there to be an actual bidding war on at least one of our players, so with the reported late interest from Newcastle, SW will be making sure we get every last penny.

Someone mentioned slight dismay at loans to replace some of the outgoing talent. Which is fair enough. But the way I see it is that if we could use some of the better young talent from some of the ‘big’ clubs (like a Harvey Elliott) for this season, we could (hopefully) still get the end result we desire, send those players back to the parent clubs come the end of the season and then spend the money then when we are in a league that is a much better proposition to the best young talent from around the world that we want to attract. We did extremely well to sign Buendia when we were in the Championship, but getting his necessary quality replaced would be easier if we were back at the top table. For now, I’d take a Harvey Elliott etc all day long if for the greater good we can sign better at the end of the season. There is a bigger picture I feel.

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I bet someone will jump in and defend what could turn out to be a ridiculous situation to be in Capt.Pants.

Just maybe we will buy someone else.... 

Just a thought. 

22 hours ago, sgncfc said:

If we get £20m plus for Godfrey it will be the best deal this club has ever done - slightly shading the £12m we got for Murphy. Pair him with a good centre back and the whole world will see he isn't one.....

Anyway, I thought we were supposed to have "top coaching"?

You're entitled to your opinion sgncfc, but there are plenty of neutral observers who disagree with you......

Godfrey quote.PNG

12 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

But but but we are a selling club. 

A soft touch. 

Delia just wants cash. 

Oh. 

I haven;t said we are a soft touch but have no doubt we are turning this down in the full expectation that they or someone else will come back with a better offer, not because we aren;t going to sell. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're entitled to your opinion sgncfc, but there are plenty of neutral observers who disagree with you......

Godfrey quote.PNG

Judging a player on a loan spell in the third tier from three seasons ago, when he played in a different position, has no relevance whatsoever.

We had a Kieran Gibbs on loan in 2008 when we were in the Championship. He played either on the wing or in midfield and looked very poor, yet two years later he was playing left back for Arsenal and played for England. 

We've also had other loanees who have done well for us in the second tier but didn't make it in the top flight.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Judging a player on a loan spell in the third tier from three seasons ago, when he played in a different position, has no relevance whatsoever.

We had a Kieran Gibbs on loan in 2008 when we were in the Championship. He played either on the wing or in midfield and looked very poor, yet two years later he was playing left back for Arsenal and played for England. 

We've also had other loanees who have done well for us in the second tier but didn't make it in the top flight.

Er........ okay.............. best tell 'Paul from Shrewsbury'..........

And I assume that when Carlo Ancelotti says that he thinks Ben Godfrey is a "really good centre back" you would give some credence to his opinion? 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Er........ okay.............. best tell 'Paul from Shrewsbury'..........

And I assume that when Carlo Ancelotti says that he thinks Ben Godfrey is a "really good centre back" you would give some credence to his opinion? 

Ancelotti wouldn’t know what a really good centre back is, he’s only played with Franco Baresi at AC Milan.

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ancelotti wouldn’t know what a really good centre back is, he’s only played with Franco Baresi at AC Milan.

Franco Baresi you say...... I vaguely remember the name .......... was he any good? 😉 

Are any of those usual suspects on here who have been criticising the club for receiving bids for our players (I still don't get that, but guess I never will) going to now give the club some credit for rejecting what is a significant amount of money?

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-ben-godfrey-transfer-bid-rejected-everton-1-6864018

I have my doubts.

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Franco Baresi you say...... I vaguely remember the name .......... was he any good? 😉 

Not really, just a bloke who played in Bournemouth tribute team that liked a game of cricket back in the day

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Are any of those usual suspects on here who have been criticising the club for receiving bids for our players (I still don't get that, but guess I never will) going to now give the club some credit for rejecting what is a significant amount of money?

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-ben-godfrey-transfer-bid-rejected-everton-1-6864018

I have my doubts.

Already pinned my colours to the mast, C - really does show how things have changed at Carrow Rd in recent years, to turn that kind of money down whilst not even being the top flight is not something I would have envisaged a few years back.

I believe Webber knows there’s a few other interested parties other than just Everton and Newcastle. I wonder if Rio will be working his Man Utd connections...

• Like 1