A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Rishi "my Dad-in-law's a billionaire" Sunak absolutley ripped to bits by Alistair Cambell who beautifully points out that pretty much everything predicted in the brexit disaster plan "Operation Yellowhammer" has come true:

And what was Rishi's advice to the minimum wage workers who will struggle to feed and clothe their families when they lose £20 a week, "retrain and get a better job". Perhaps he can get his father-in-law to fund them while they retrain, or perhaps he has another suggestion how they are to fund their retraining and remain alive. The man is a king Cnut!

Edited by horsefly

One of the problems the US media had with Trump was  that he lied so frequently that they couldn't keep up. By the time they had explained why  his first statement of the day was false he'd come out with three or four more. Sometimes entire speeches would consist of blatant lies or claims wrenched totally out of true context.

And it is similar with Johnson. Today I see he  is claiming the fact that only just over 100 EU truck drivers want to work in the UK on an emergency basis shows the shortage is a continent-wide problem. Actually what it shows, as even UK drivers have said, is that conditions for drivers are vastly better on the continent, so why would they want to suffer that for some short-term job.

Anyone who has driven around western Europe just as a tourist will have noticed the facilities for truckers at service stations seem much better than in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

One of the problems the US media had with Trump was  that he lied so frequently that they couldn't keep up. By the time they had explained why  his first statement of the day was false he'd come out with three or four more. Sometimes entire speeches would consist of blatant lies or claims wrenched totally out of true context.

And it is similar with Johnson. Today I see he  is claiming the fact that only just over 100 EU truck drivers want to work in the UK on an emergency basis shows the shortage is a continent-wide problem. Actually what it shows, as even UK drivers have said, is that conditions for drivers are vastly better on the continent, so why would they want to suffer that for some short-term job.

Anyone who has driven around western Europe just as a tourist will have noticed the facilities for truckers at service stations seem much better than in the UK.

Both Trump and now Johnson realized that their target voters don't have the smarts, or more so don't care to 'fact check' their lies and dissembling's. A mug is a mug and and an easy mark for any such 'snake oil' salesman. So both Trump and Johnson carry on aided and abetted by the right wing press. They all now anyway have far too much invested in their myths to back track now.

Of course, many will eventually realize they've been well and truly had but the damage will of been sadly done by then to one and all.

Caveat emptor. 

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

Yeah you're right CM. Too generous by half.

This made me smile (someone has put a lot of thought and work into this re-casting of the poem "If") and is very likely so much closer to a better description:

Absolutely brilliant, by far the best and most eloquent description of Johnson I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Analysis of price rises in the last year shows the cost of a second-hand car has risen more than £1,600, a tank of fuel is up more than £10 and the price of a pint of beer is creeping close to £4
  • From the Mail's front page. Not making a political point, for once. Just the picture of a Battenburg cake brought back happy childhood memories. Is it still popular?

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:
Analysis of price rises in the last year shows the cost of a second-hand car has risen more than £1,600, a tank of fuel is up more than £10 and the price of a pint of beer is creeping close to £4
  • From the Mail's front page. Not making a political point, for once. Just the picture of a Battenburg cake brought back happy childhood memories. Is it still popular?

For Gods sake man, it's named after a bl00dy German! It should be renamed now that we've woken up from the nightmare of EU suppression. We're free to name our cakes as we please, I suggest Sovereignty Cake.

• Haha 1

The King Rat is going to wow the party faithful with his Churchillian speech of how he has the guts to face the challenges. He is going to prattle on about not just the future but the far future.

And Yellow Fever is right. Those who do not understand or do not want to understand will hear one thing that suits their purpose and think he is marvellous.

He didn't win the Red Wall. He didn't win the majority vote. He won the thicko vote and there seems to be an increasing number of them around.

They have been in power for 11 years and still go on about the crash of 2008, which at the time, according to them, was all Labour's and Brown's fault. So which current fcuk up such as Brexit, poorly handled pandemic and now shortages has got to do with 2008?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

For Gods sake man, it's named after a bl00dy German! It should be renamed now that we've woken up from the nightmare of EU suppression. We're free to name our cakes as we please, I suggest Sovereignty Cake.

Ford, Prosecco, Cola, Portugal, yoghurt. What else do we owe to the rest of the world?

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Of course! It's the Brexit 'you can have it and eat it' cake...

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Well, if the Queen had taken the surname of her husband and if his family hadn't anglicised it when they came to this country as economic immigrants it would be the name of the royal family of the UK.

Do you know I would vote for this bloke if he ever decided to be an MP. Disliked him as a player but have been won over by his punditry and his outspoken views on today's politics. He must know he could be alienating lots of followers but he speaks with heart and passion. I like to hear him, a natural communicator.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/gmb-fans-rejoice-gary-neville-25148061#I

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Do you know I would vote for this bloke if he ever decided to be an MP. Disliked him as a player but have been won over by his punditry and his outspoken views on today's politics. He must know he could be alienating lots of followers but he speaks with heart and passion. I like to hear him, a natural communicator.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/gmb-fans-rejoice-gary-neville-25148061#I

We know the UC increase was during the crisis. And we know there are many who do sit on their backsides and scrounge. But she forgets all the working people who are now suffering because of the dramatic increases in energy, fuel and food prices.

She should remember, it was her darling Thatcher who chose a policy of allowing people to scrounge just so they would vote for her. Now when they want to stop paying out so much, they forget they created the scrounging class.

Anything interesting in the waffle meister's speech or just his greatest hits of bs?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Anything interesting in the waffle meister's speech or just his greatest hits of bs?

Buffoonery of the highest order. Peppered with 'jokes', and no substance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

If the UK is going to become a high waged and high skilled economy...who is going to do all the "low and unskilled" jobs?

Those on day release from a greatly expanded prison population...

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

If the UK is going to become a high waged and high skilled economy...who is going to do all the "low and unskilled" jobs?

Students. If you don't join the police, nursing or transport after graduating then you can kiss goodbye to University.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Love this response by the band Friendly Fires to Johnson using their track to walk onto the stage:

ImageImage

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

And even if the salaries for low and unskilled jobs go up substantially who is going to to do the ‘ low and unskilled ‘ jobs.

46 minutes ago, Well b back said:

And even if the salaries for low and unskilled jobs go up substantially who is going to to do the ‘ low and unskilled ‘ jobs.

With all the private sector wages rising, I  guess the public sector wages will also rise?

The issue is, there is no real planning. Brexit was a the only plan they had, they became so determined to get it, that they didn't know what to do with it once they had it and any potential consequences of it were ignored and belittled in its pursuit. 

The UK has been essentially stress tested by two different processes, Brexit and a pandemic. Economically that is a horrendous mix. 

Then you throw into the mix that we have a government that burns diplomatic capital for short term headlines, wastes time waging a 'war on woke' for small boost in the polls rather than running the country and a prime minister with a pathological need to be liked, an inability to look beyond his own personal ambition and without the required work ethic. 

All this just as the international environment becomes harsher in the aftermath of Covid and during an era filled with geopolitical tensions. 

It's going to be a difficult time for a few years, and I'm still not convinced they would lose an election, so get ready for more Johnson at the Apollo whilst petrol runs out.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

The issue is, there is no real planning. Brexit was a the only plan they had, they became so determined to get it, that they didn't know what to do with it once they had it and any potential consequences of it were ignored and belittled in its pursuit. 

The UK has been essentially stress tested by two different processes, Brexit and a pandemic. Economically that is a horrendous mix. 

Then you throw into the mix that we have a government that burns diplomatic capital for short term headlines, wastes time waging a 'war on woke' for small boost in the polls rather than running the country and a prime minister with a pathological need to be liked, an inability to look beyond his own personal ambition and without the required work ethic. 

All this just as the international environment becomes harsher in the aftermath of Covid and during an era filled with geopolitical tensions. 

It's going to be a difficult time for a few years, and I'm still not convinced they would lose an election, so get ready for more Johnson at the Apollo whilst petrol runs out.

Which keeps bringing us back to our outdated, antiquated, hopelessly undemocratic FPTP model, which basically congeals everything into an unedifying two-party mess and "us and them" negative campaigning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Which keeps bringing us back to our outdated, antiquated, hopelessly undemocratic FPTP model, which basically congeals everything into an unedifying two-party mess and "us and them" negative campaigning.

I happen to agree, but it won't change for an awfully long time. The temptation of an outright majority is always too high for the two big parties, there's an allure to being an elected dictatorship for 5 years.

It's particular strange in the case of Labour though, as they are so rarely in government and even then have very infrequently had large working majorities. 

Given this is a football forum it is perhaps apposite to make a footballing analogy regarding Johnson's standard political "game-play". He is the arch proponent of political hoof-ball, whack an issue high up into the air and yell for someone else to get their head on it. And that exhausts his entire strategy.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

I happen to agree, but it won't change for an awfully long time. The temptation of an outright majority is always too high for the two big parties, there's an allure to being an elected dictatorship for 5 years.

It's particular strange in the case of Labour though, as they are so rarely in government and even then have very infrequently had large working majorities. 

Tend to agree, but would say that is what is more likely to move Labour - particularly if they need a smaller party as a partner, as was the case with the Conservative/Lib Dem coalition. The problem there was that only AV was proposed, which is a very watered down version of what is really needed, which is PR as a bare minimum.

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

When you have a majority it is pretty difficult to make a case to put this at risk or give it away through PR. When you don't have a majority you don't have the power. Catch 22 really. For Labour, PR means that the Greens and even possibly the LibDems would eat their breakfast. That said it is difficult to see any route to a Labour majority, so a hung Parliament via tactical voting is the best outcome. At that point the question would in all likelihood which way would the SNP jump.