A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

This idiot has made a reappearance. So might as well take the ****.

Francois is everything I despise. A wannabe without the brain, wit or courage to look beyond his black and white life. I think the little man picture is perfect and should be printed on billboards.

• Like 3

Getting the sinking feeling that they are going to rush through some knee-jerk and ill-thought out legislation to solve a problem which had nothing to do with the murder of their colleague.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Getting the sinking feeling that they are going to rush through some knee-jerk and ill-thought out legislation to solve a problem which had nothing to do with the murder of their colleague.

Well that would be par for the course with this lot. Ignore official reports, then rush to action to create a populist backlash against something only tangentially related to the issue you ignored. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herman said:

Indeed! Their record so far is to exploit any possibility they can (irrespective of its nature or cause) to introduce legislation to increase their power over the population and society's legal processes.

On 17/10/2021 at 08:24, Herman said:

Just had a look. All very close for years except the last one. Shocking really why they are popular but there you go.Equally shocking how unpopular Labour were under the last leader. A lot of damage needs to be repaired.🤨

Why is it shocking how unpopular Labour was under Corbyn?  You couldn't bear to write his name!

Corbyn and the hard left are always misaligned with, not just the voters, but with Labour voters, too. So if Labour continues to be run by the hard-left then they will only be elected when the Tories score an own-goal and totally screw things up. 

Yet Labour activists are in the main from the hard-left. I have read posters on here who want a more to the left Labour government but freely admit that they need centre-left policies to attract voters. 

The only Labour politician in the past fifty years who understood this and was prepared to do something about it was Tony Blair, a gentleman who ended up more vilified by his own side than by the opposition. One has the feeling that Starmer would like to be a Blair 2.0 but he lacks many of the qualities that Blair has and brings nothing to the table that excites people.  Few shop at the co-op for it's exciting range of high quality merchandise, they pop in for a pint of milk because it's conveniently close. Labour resembles a co-op supermarket, something that once stood for something but has long since been overtaken by better rivals. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

He's such a pillock. I mean I know it's the S*n, but the language...

Jesus H Christ 

Screenshot_20211019-094811.png

So who is going to buy the first one? I imagine I might have been warmed by the furnace by the time all this is sorted.

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

Why is it shocking how unpopular Labour was under Corbyn?  You couldn't bear to write his name!

Corbyn and the hard left are always misaligned with, not just the voters, but with Labour voters, too. So if Labour continues to be run by the hard-left then they will only be elected when the Tories score an own-goal and totally screw things up. 

Yet Labour activists are in the main from the hard-left. I have read posters on here who want a more to the left Labour government but freely admit that they need centre-left policies to attract voters. 

The only Labour politician in the past fifty years who understood this and was prepared to do something it was Tony Blair, a gentleman who ended up more vilified by his own side than by the opposition. One has the feeling that Starter would like to be a Blair 2.0 but he lacks many of the qualities that Blair has and brings nothing to the table that excites people.  Few shop at the co-op for it's exciting range of high quality merchandise, they pop in for a pint of milk because it's conveniently close. Labour resembles a co-op supermarket, something that once stood for something but has long since been overtaken by better rivals. 

Its called policies, beliefs, morals and social responsibility RTB. Yours is I'm all right Jack.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its called policies, beliefs, morals and social responsibility RTB. Yours is I'm all right Jack.

True, the majority of people are doing alright, even though the media tries its best to persuade us otherwise. Labour doesn't have much to say to people who are doing alright. 

I'll also agree with you on the social responsibility angle where there is a lot to be done. I feel the left are tackling this issue in the wrong way. For example, everyone agrees insulation is a sound strategy but blocking the motorway is not the way to get social change. There's a huge area up for grabs if done in the right way

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1902 said:

Well that wasn't really that relevant diatribe

But good to have a list of things you like:

Assange

PR

And things you dont:

The conservative party

The labour party

England and it's relations with the other members of the Union.

As you are an ardent Unionist, here is something you call diatribe, whilst others call it history. Englands relation with its colonies does not include repression of their democratic choices, and they have a right to self determination, without the say so of the colonizers. Enjoy reading something else than gate keeper news feeds.

https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpress.com/2021/10/19/whose-side-is-she-really-on/

13 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

As you are an ardent Unionist, here is something you call diatribe, whilst others call it history. Englands relation with its colonies does not include repression of their democratic choices, and they have a right to self determination, without the say so of the colonizers. Enjoy reading something else than gate keeper news feeds.

https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpress.com/2021/10/19/whose-side-is-she-really-on/

Hahahah,

An ardent unionist?

Where the hell did you get that from apart from me calling your last post a diatribe.

Edited by 1902

33 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

My word, you are a fast reader.

You called me an ardent unionist, you had no basis for that apart from me saying that you had randomly added your views on the Union into the conversation unprompted.

You have no idea of my views on the Union, you don't know if I'm Scottish, you don't know how much I know about the history of the Union or for that matter on the arguments for self determination.

As it happens, I'm not a unionist, certainly not in its current guise. Though I was born in Norwich, my parents are Scots and I have spent a lot of my life there, so I identify as Scottish.

I wrote my first thesis on Scotland's role in the creation of the early British empire and my second on attempts to build an independent Scottish colony and how it lead to the act of Union. 

So no, I don't feel the need to read your random blog post just because you ordered me to or because you have made a set of assumptions about my ignorance, neither do I have no concept of Scotland or its relationship to England within the context of the United Kingdom.

Edited by 1902

suit yourself. I do not order I offer. as for your academic proffering here, when your books clearly had no impact during the last 7 years of the SNP's destruction of the idea of Independence, I care not very much.

Looking forward to your offer to a link of your thesis if it has any relevance to the barricading that has been Sturgeons order from Westminster.

If I have trifled you with my jibe of 'unionist' then I shall desist in future.

7 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

The problem with that article is the author keeps referring to everything as English. As in English Parliament, English law etc. when it isn't English, it's UK Parliament, UK law etc. the difference is not semantics but significant. But yes, in theory Sturgeon could declare unilateral independence if she wished, and try and make it stick. But as I said to you before, Sturgeon has the best of all worlds right now - all the power in Scotland with none of the responsibility. Anything goes wrong and she can blame that lot south of the border.

If independence did ultimately happen then all the problems relating to independence would fall on Sturgeon's head and her personal, cozy setup would be gone forever. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

The problem with that article is the author keeps referring to everything as English. As in English Parliament, English law etc. when it isn't English, it's UK Parliament, UK law etc. the difference is not semantics but significant. But yes, in theory Sturgeon could declare unilateral independence if she wished, and try and make it stick. But as I said to you before, Sturgeon has the best of all worlds right now - all the power in Scotland with none of the responsibility. Anything goes wrong and she can blame that lot south of the border.

If independence did ultimately happen then all the problems relating to independence would fall on Sturgeon's head and her personal, cozy setup would be gone forever. 

Boris seems to be able to pass the buck easily. 

9 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

True, the majority of people are doing alright, even though the media tries its best to persuade us otherwise. Labour doesn't have much to say to people who are doing alright. 

No, because the current leader is one of them.

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'll also agree with you on the social responsibility angle where there is a lot to be done. I feel the left are tackling this issue in the wrong way. For example, everyone agrees insulation is a sound strategy but blocking the motorway is not the way to get social change. There's a huge area up for grabs if done in the right way

I don't think you can say all the protesters are from the left. I think many are more concerned with the planet than politics or allegiances.

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'd love to hear what the 'right way' is because people have been campaigning about better insulation for at least 15 years and quite frankly no one took a blind bit of notice until IB blocked a few motorways. All of a sudden it was headlines news and apparently everyone agrees its a sound strategy - admittedly not to the extent of actually doing anything about it but even so I'd say that was a pretty big win for IB and one that could only have been achieved by the somewhat extreme action they took.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

she will fall on her own sword anyway, the SNP is loosing members and their belligerence will not last much longer.

14 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I'd love to hear what the 'right way' is because people have been campaigning about better insulation for at least 15 years and quite frankly no one took a blind bit of notice until IB blocked a few motorways. All of a sudden it was headlines news and apparently everyone agrees its a sound strategy - admittedly not to the extent of actually doing anything about it but even so I'd say that was a pretty big win for IB and one that could only have been achieved by the somewhat extreme action they took.

Agree with this. Whilst I also think blocking a motorway is hardly sensible just what do people do to raise awareness? CND was unpopular, as were the Greenham women....you can go on and on with examples throughy history....change in mining practices, improved working conditions, changes in public health....whether marches, sit-ins, legal challenges, petitions...all ways to try and make your small voice heard. Same with young people and XR and similar groups across the country. Yet, instead of welcoming different views we have a government now that wants to legislate against such displays of challenge. 

You've talked a few times about China and curtailing of civil rights on here @Rock The Boat

• Like 2

Expecting consistently disenfranchised sectors of a population to not act out is snowflake-y in the extreme. And when civil action completely fails, why not do something a bit more radical?

Pretty sure the suffragettes did far more shocking things than blocking a motorway.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Expecting consistently disenfranchised sectors of a population to not act out is snowflake-y in the extreme. And when civil action completely fails, why not do something a bit more radical?

Pretty sure the suffragettes did far more shocking things than blocking a motorway.

Which ones would they have blocked?😂

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2021 at 13:46, TheGunnShow said:

It did take four years (1914-1918) of the suffragettes not protesting for them to achieve their aim.

Maybe these protestors could do the same,  promise to not protest and to demonstrate that climate activists can fulfill a worthwhile role in society in return for an Act of Parliament down the line....

13 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

It did take four years (1914-1918) of the suffragettes not protesting for them to achieve their aim.

Maybe these protestors could do the same,  promise to not protest and to demonstrate that climate activists can fulfill a worthwhile role in society in return for an Act of Parliament down the line....

That might work if you are willing to completely ignore the massive amount of protest (including bombing) from 1903 right up to WWI. But that, I'm sure,isn't something you would suggest we do if we wish to maintain historical accuracy..

Edited by horsefly

12 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Or we could start a world war to distract everyone.