A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Maybe the hard left should all leave Labour en masse and set up their own party, like Die Linke, and stop going out of their way to divide the Labour Party.

Or alternatively learn from the Conservatives. There were many groups in that party and most hated each other but when it comes to the crunch they unite, because their strongest belief is in power, (money as well, but that's a different matter.) You can't do anything, get your ideas into work, unless you are the party in charge.

I understand why some don't like Starmer but currently he is a million times better than this shower of *** we currently have in charge and there is no one else, in England anyway, that can take the fight to Johnson.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Maybe the hard left should all leave Labour en masse and set up their own party, like Die Linke, and stop going out of their way to divide the Labour Party.

Or alternatively learn from the Conservatives. There were many groups in that party and most hated each other but when it comes to the crunch they unite, because their strongest belief is in power, (money as well, but that's a different matter.) You can't do anything, get your ideas into work, unless you are the party in charge.

I understand why some don't like Starmer but currently he is a million times better than this shower of *** we currently have in charge and there is no one else, in England anyway, that can take the fight to Johnson.

That would only make it easier for the Tories.

I have resigned from the Party but when it comes to elections I will tactical vote if it means it would suit my personal purposes. The Greens are more left than the current Labour Cabinet but unlikely to be in a position to count in my lifetime.

I realise that this country, England, is probably centre right so the only hope is for a dramatic shift. Labour had 13 years of power because it compromised. When Cameron emerged with his say yes to everything, he stole the middle ground.

23 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have resigned from the Party but when it comes to elections I will tactical vote if it means it would suit my personal purposes. The Greens are more left than the current Labour Cabinet but unlikely to be in a position to count in my lifetime.

Whether or not the Greens are more 'left' than Labour, they certainly have a much more comprehensive and 'better' policy platform than Labour and they are much better led. In Caroline Lucas they also have a more intelligent and articulate MP (by a country mile) than anybody either the Tory or Labour party have to offer. So I wouldn't write them off completely.

Unfortunately there is a substantial proportion of the English that seem to believe that we are still living in the 20th century (and then of course there is also a big group who believe we are still in the 19th century and then there's Rees-Mogg and his mates.....😂) so its no real surprise that England is such a backward country in many respects - and this is only going to get worse as Brexit drags us back towards the 20th century.

It is also true that one manifestation of our backwardness - our farcial FPTP voting system which has maintained a two party tweedle-dee, tweedle-dum system of government for 300 years, does make it very difficult for any alternatives to gain any traction.

But if the current state, i.e. dim, clueless and completely useless, of both the Labour and Tory parties (and let's add utterly untrustworthy in the case of the Tories) doesn't get people looking for an alternative - and voting for it - then this country deserves everything which is already starting to come its way.

But the Greens are now in government in Scotland and soon will be in Germany, and are pretty strong at the local/regional level in many other European countries. So I know the odds are very much against it happening here but I still retain a very slight hope that perhaps people here will wake up to the realities of our situation before the incompetents and chancers that currently inhabit the HoC completely trash the country.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

Johnson doesn't even pretend not to be corrupt any more:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-hands-peerage-and-ministerial-job-to-banker-who-gave-party-147k/ar-AAP0rZ3?ocid=msedgntp

Boris Johnson hands peerage and ministerial job to banker who gave party £147k

Boris Johnson has been accused of “banana republic” cronyism after handing a life peerage and a ministerial job to a financier who has donated £147,000 to the Conservative Party.

Banker Malcolm Offord will be entitled to sit in the House of Lords and make laws for the rest of his life, despite never having been elected.

And he’ll be immediately installed as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Scotland Office.

Several Scottish Tory MPs were passed over in order to end Mr Offord the job - which could spark anger in the party as it heads to its annual conference in Manchester this weekend.

Electoral Commission figures show Mr Offord, the founder and chairman of Scotland-based firm Badenoch and Co, has given £147,500 to the party, both through central office and MPs, including Housing Secretary Michael Gove.

16 hours ago, horsefly said:

Johnson doesn't even pretend not to be corrupt any more:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-hands-peerage-and-ministerial-job-to-banker-who-gave-party-147k/ar-AAP0rZ3?ocid=msedgntp

Boris Johnson hands peerage and ministerial job to banker who gave party £147k

Boris Johnson has been accused of “banana republic” cronyism after handing a life peerage and a ministerial job to a financier who has donated £147,000 to the Conservative Party.

Banker Malcolm Offord will be entitled to sit in the House of Lords and make laws for the rest of his life, despite never having been elected.

And he’ll be immediately installed as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Scotland Office.

Several Scottish Tory MPs were passed over in order to end Mr Offord the job - which could spark anger in the party as it heads to its annual conference in Manchester this weekend.

Electoral Commission figures show Mr Offord, the founder and chairman of Scotland-based firm Badenoch and Co, has given £147,500 to the party, both through central office and MPs, including Housing Secretary Michael Gove.

I think the only real distinction between the UK and the other 'banana republics' around the world is that we don't even have any bananas!

But I can see why they would say that because we definitely fit the other criteria.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Herman said:

Caption Competition.

Boris Johnson

Honest mate, you'll easily make £350M a week in rent off this!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Absolute car crash interview with Marr

Indeed! He should be named Nero Johnson, his answer to every question about every crisis the country is currently enduring has been to wait and see what happens. Someone find that Roman fiddle because it's clear Johnson has not got anything else to do with his time (unless of course it involves a fiddle of a different kind).

• Like 1

Can someone point out to this fat oaf that his party have been in charge for more than a decade. FMOB.🤬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Simply doubling down on his disaster - what's his alternative - admit he's ballsed it up? Far too many heavily invested in this mess to possibly admit such a grievous mistake. A country of backward luddites straight from protectionist 1970's Labour. Maggie I'm sure is spinning in her grave at this being Tory policy.

Brexit didn't even need to go this way - there were many more sensible softer approaches i.e. stay in the CU or SM which would have negated all these issues including NI.

So the country is gong to hell in a hand cart (after all we cant get any fuel).

Brexit - Putin's greatest foreign policy success!

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

It contained a few holes for certain...the mantra of higher pay is all well and good but inflation is apparently outstripping wages (meaning the poorest paid will suffer more because their margins to live on - or in some cases to survive - are much tighter). The ONS figures are a matter of fact too, not something a PM should be dismissing.

The social care sector is another thing he hasn't addressed. He has offered to syphon a small percentage of revenue from NI (most going to the NHS)...and secondly again the NI increases will fall disproportionately on the poorest paid. In social care, rates are often largely dictated (set even) by local authorities so there is very little room for providers to pay more. This is aggrievated by providers facing recruitment problems (and retention if they cannot pay enough).

He spoke about not wanting to pull the lever of uncontrolled immigration....but you could say he literally just has! Twice. In panic. Once until Xmas and again 'til March. And what about the uncontrolled immigration in the last decade? Even well before Brexit of course. 

A lot of bluster this morning and you saw little bits of anger emerging (the stills are interesting to observe) which show more of the real person I believe. The frothy happy exterior is just a persona. Certainly he makes an interesting person to look at and listen to but not because of the usual reasons ... it is a challenge to have respect for him.

27 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It contained a few holes for certain...the mantra of higher pay is all well and good but inflation is apparently outstripping wages (meaning the poorest paid will suffer more because their margins to live on - or in some cases to survive - are much tighter). The ONS figures are a matter of fact too, not something a PM should be dismissing.

The social care sector is another thing he hasn't addressed. He has offered to syphon a small percentage of revenue from NI (most going to the NHS)...and secondly again the NI increases will fall disproportionately on the poorest paid. In social care, rates are often largely dictated (set even) by local authorities so there is very little room for providers to pay more. This is aggrievated by providers facing recruitment problems (and retention if they cannot pay enough).

He spoke about not wanting to pull the lever of uncontrolled immigration....but you could say he literally just has! Twice. In panic. Once until Xmas and again 'til March. And what about the uncontrolled immigration in the last decade? Even well before Brexit of course. 

A lot of bluster this morning and you saw little bits of anger emerging (the stills are interesting to observe) which show more of the real person I believe. The frothy happy exterior is just a persona. Certainly he makes an interesting person to look at and listen to but not because of the usual reasons ... it is a challenge to have respect for him.

As asked before

How do you know when Johnson has lied ?

His lips move !

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

The apparent lack of concern and jokey attitude towards the problems being faced by pig farmers atm, when images emerge of wholesale slaughter and disposal of herds on farm he may find parts of this being played back to him, it aint going to play well with the electorate.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

So “revealed” this morning that the recent rise in NI contributions (which hits everyone, but lower paid people harder relatively speaking) will be offset by a reduction in income tax rates (which benefits everyone, but higher paid people more relatively speaking) as revenues “are robust” 

So the “leveling up” mIssion has already been accomplished eh? Sounds like the same right wing tax scam as “trickle down” here in the US. 

18 hours ago, Van wink said:

The apparent lack of concern and jokey attitude towards the problems being faced by pig farmers atm, when images emerge of wholesale slaughter and disposal of herds on farm he may find parts of this being played back to him, it aint going to play well with the electorate.

You're right there (hadn't really occured to me that pig farmers would take to the streets but here they are on national TV this morning!). We just have to wait 'til things get worse before the electorate find out (or wake up). 

Wish I hadn't, but just saw 5 minutes of a news clip of the Tory Conference ...(Sir) Frost stating that they signed the deal and it was right for Britain but now they see it threatening the GFA and peace process. Now...just how did that not occur to them? I mean, honestly.

"Lack of concern" is about the right phrase, understated though it is.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

You're right there (hadn't really occured to me that pig farmers would take to the streets but here they are on national TV this morning!). We just have to wait 'til things get worse before the electorate find out (or wake up). 

Wish I hadn't, but just saw 5 minutes of a news clip of the Tory Conference ...(Sir) Frost stating that they signed the deal and it was right for Britain but now they see it threatening the GFA and peace process. Now...just how did that not occur to them? I mean, honestly.

"Lack of concern" is about the right phrase, understated though it is.

I think you are being far too generous @sonyc, they knew full well what the implications for the GFA, peace process and the unity of the UK were , after all they'd been told many times by many different people.

So I'd go for utterly irresponsible and entirely devious, and I reckon that is still understated as far as the conduct of Frost and Johnson is concerned.

Kakistocracy: a government that is ruled by the least suitable, able, or experienced people in a state or country.

• Haha 1

My God! the Panorama report "The Pandora Papers" is uncovering astonishing levels of corruption by Tory Party donors. I guess we now know who pays for the lifestyle Boris can't afford himself. No wonder he has personally elevated Russians to the House of Lords.

On 03/10/2021 at 17:25, A Load of Squit said:

“Don’t give that card to me!”. Was only talking about that episode today!🤣🤣🤣.

”They gave me two tickets to the ballet tomorrow night!”

“The ba-lay!?”

“You like ballet?”

”Marjorie please!, I enjoy all the meats of our cultural stew!. Aaahhh…. ba-lay!”.

[We see Homer’s vision of ballet being a bear going round in circles driving a go kart]

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

My God! the Panorama report "The Pandora Papers" is uncovering astonishing levels of corruption by Tory Party donors. I guess we now know who pays for the lifestyle Boris can't afford himself. No wonder he has personally elevated Russians to the House of Lords.

Sorry to have to tell you this 

You are the only person paying tax

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think you are being far too generous @sonyc, they knew full well what the implications for the GFA, peace process and the unity of the UK were , after all they'd been told many times by many different people.

So I'd go for utterly irresponsible and entirely devious, and I reckon that is still understated as far as the conduct of Frost and Johnson is concerned.

Yeah you're right CM. Too generous by half.

This made me smile (someone has put a lot of thought and work into this re-casting of the poem "If") and is very likely so much closer to a better description:

• Thanks 2