Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Hugill Bid Rejected

So says the Mail. Their report is that the clubs are still talking but the bid from Norwich of £3m up front and £2m  add on has been rejected. I do think he is a missing piece in our squad  options and the report that the clubs are still in discussion suggests that there is still something to talk about so perhaps not a million miles from a compromise. West ham seem desperate to get rid and the only club  that seems interested are QPR who he did well with last season. If he is not going to feature whatsoever for WHU and that looks probable given the last 2 seasons then all they can do is minimize their loss on him.The ONLY clubs that have  half decent money to spend given COVID are in the PL and clubs in the championship that either have parachute payments or sell players to the PL for big money, that makes for a pretty small band in the championship and i suggest no one in the PL is interested. With 2 seasons left on his contract WHU face paying out £2m or so in wages and even if he goes on loan then probably have to subsidize half of that figure at least. Leave it another season and the lad may as well see out his contract and go on a Bosman and get a decent signing on fee. It would get complicated if other clubs come in for him, but  i suspect only the other two relegated clubs and possibly Brentford who have/are selling decent players would have the financial muscle to go close to our bid. If we really want him then another Million or thereabouts may do the job and i do think his physical prowess at championship level could be such an asset for us

I think we should simply let WHU sit with their rejection. Surely we have other lines of enquiry we've been working on?

Do agree with you that Hugill would provide something different. On the subject of centre forwards, I note my favourite, Petagna has been linked with Arsenal. Out of our league I know but always saw him as a kind of younger version of Grant Holt. Consistent scorer too. 

Thanks, both for pointing this out and your view on potential buyers. Also implies that we have exits lined up if we are still in the marke, maybe something for drmic which is contingent on this deal? I'm actually surprised this was rejected unless QPR are seen as being seriously in the race, 

Imagine wages would be difficult to negotiate as well. Not sure what our top earner is on after the relegation reduction. Think it’s about 20k and he’s on 35k. Exactly the type of striker we’re lacking but he’d have to come down quite a bit on his weekly wage. 

Can’t say I’d be overly concerned if this doesn’t happen, if 3 million up front isn’t enough then walk away! 

Just basics say if we spend 5 million on fees, then three year contract with bonuses cost at championship level another 3 million, is he really worth 8 million package. 

Difficult one, we do need a different option, we are limited on who we can buy, so I’m glad I’m sitting here talking about it on the forum, not having to make these deals. I just don’t want another Naismith, the younger players we’ve bought are at a lower financial risk with potentially big rewards if they make the grade, with Hugill we need him to fire us into the premiership like a Holty did and I’m not sure the gamble is worth it in my book.

• Like 1

This is west ham doing their business in public to bring in other buyers. Webber won’t like it and doubtful we’ll increase our bid. It’s their fault they have a bang average championship striker £35k per week. If they want rid then the fee needs to come down dramatically. 

• Like 1

He Would give a Extra Option but goal scoring record not great for someone who would cost at least  20k a week 

Also is Farke willing to go Direct Style ? i guess if we are chasing a Game 

i would Prefer to Give Idah a chance and sign a youngster

25 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We already have strikers who struggle to score, why bring in another one?

15 goals for QPR last season does not suggest someone who struggles to score 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We already have strikers who struggle to score, why bring in another one?

Hmm... I think the only striker who has struggled to score has been Drmic. Don't say "But Pukki didn't score at the end of the season" because 11 in the Prem isn't a bad return, really. 

Hugill may not go out and score 25 goals if he came to us, but would be a useful addition given his aerial ability and rugged playing style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hugill may not go out and score 25 goals if he came to us, but would be a useful addition given his aerial ability and rugged playing style. 

He is a Grant Holt kind of figure, gives his all and in the words of an ex-teamate he wants to learn and improve, which is always a good sign. Could be a good fit for us, coming into his prime at 28, confident as a result of his goals last season  - and will surely get plenty of chances in a Farke team.  I know we might want Pukki and Idah to be the main strikers, but if we do get someone else in to compete with them, Hugill would be a good contender.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

He Would give a Extra Option but goal scoring record not great for someone who would cost at least  20k a week 

Also is Farke willing to go Direct Style ? i guess if we are chasing a Game 

i would Prefer to Give Idah a chance and sign a youngster

Idah will be the player to play the same style with Pukki but share the load. A Hugill type player is for a plan B. Idah doesn't provide a plan B.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Idah will be the player to play the same style with Pukki but share the load. A Hugill type player is for a plan B. Idah doesn't provide a plan B.

Lot of money for a plan B Hoggy, surely if we are to spend a fee and wages of nearly 8 million it would be to be pushing as our main striking option?

Just now, Indy said:

Lot of money for a plan B Hoggy, surely if we are to spend a fee and wages of nearly 8 million it would be to be pushing as our main striking option?

I wouldnt want us to offer more than what we are rumoured to have already. 3m upfront and a 2 year contract would be fine but much more and I'd rather us look elsewhere. I guess we are willing to pay a bit more for the homegrown status.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes i Agree but will Farke use a Plan B ?

i have been one to criticise  Farke for not having a plan B is that because he did not have the players for a more direct style or was it he stuck to his style ? 

I Also agree if you are spending that sort of money  the player will want game time and with Pukki will he get it ? 

37 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

15 goals for QPR last season does not suggest someone who struggles to score 

26 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hmm... I think the only striker who has struggled to score has been Drmic. Don't say "But Pukki didn't score at the end of the season" because 11 in the Prem isn't a bad return, really. 

Hardly prolific for the Championship, you would expect a half decent midfielder to approach double figures. 

You might look at the previous seasons tally too perhaps. 

Edited by Number9

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Hardly prolific for the Championship, you would expect a half decent midfielder to approach double figures. 

A bit harsh. A player like him can create so much for those around him holding the ball and flick ons etc not to mention the defensive benefits of having a guy good in the air that can come back and help defend corners and free kicks. Kevin Davis did this type of job for years for Bolton and got the odd England cap as well

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

A bit harsh. A player like him can create so much for those around him holding the ball and flick ons etc not to mention the defensive benefits of having a guy good in the air that can come back and help defend corners and free kicks. Kevin Davis did this type of job for years for Bolton and got the odd England cap as well

He could if we played that way.

Are you telling me that Farke is going to change the way he asks the team to play?

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Kevin Davis was Great but the Manager played to his style direct and he would either hold it up flick it on etc Not exactly farkes style 

i am sure Farke would go direct last 10 / 20 mins chasing a game but expensive striker for that plan and the player will not come here just to be a plan b 

We have a system where wingers and full backs cut inside at the 18 yard point and the it all gets very slow and congested. 

Not sure how Hugill fits into that system. 

If you want to defend corners, buy and coach defenders, don't buy a goal shy striker 

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Not good enough and overpriced for his ability level, more than happy for us to walk away now.

Probably priced right at £3m, not worth anymore. Bang average Champs striker unable to get a game in the Prem, or even in the squad. Seems to have struggled with fitness and injury over the years. Those who seem so desparate to get him probably would be happier if they had a time machine and travelled back to the seventies.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

If you're looking for a big strong striker, Idah is sat on the bench already. 

I think Farke is going to try and ease him into the team, but totally agree, this lad has the total package, if he has the drive and discipline to learn he will be one of our all time great strikers.

18 minutes ago, Number9 said:

If you're looking for a big strong striker, Idah is sat on the bench already. 

Definitely has potential but doesn’t yet know the dark arts of striker play like a seasoned player that came up through non league does. He’s absolutely a handful though with a great shot. 

I agree that Idah should be in the match day squad, but to expect a 19 year old to be a great 2nd option over 46 games, for a team expecting to be very close to the top of the Championship is just not reasonable. How often has that happened in the past?

For £3-5M, Hugill is a very good price for a competing '2nd' striker at this level. The Pukki type players are very rare, at a knockdown price, and that is roughly where we are at in financial terms. We may not sign him, so who else do people recommend, at a reasonable price, for that 2nd/3rd striker role? Is everyone happy for Pukki to be our No 1 striker, or should we spend big for a top level striker?

Hugill might not be everyone's 1st choice striker signing, but he isn't a dud.

• Like 5

Seems like this phase of getting  new guys into the club, which DF alluded to, the ones with a bit of experience of the Champs, is the hardest, especially guys who have gone to Prem sides on biggish transfer fees, are on Prem wages to.  Gibson and Hugill will both be on Prem wages, both will face a sizeable drop in wages, but they of course  know the situation. If DF and SW consider these guys are the type the club needs then thats  good enough for me...but striking deals to actually get them here seems a tough business..but then there is no one tougher than SW in that department.

We wait and see.

I don’t see how anyone can be grumbling at the fee proposed. We paid Drmic £2.5m in wages last season (plus a signing on fee of however much) for very little return. There’s not going to be many strikers who got double figures in the championship last season about for less than the figures being quoted here. Unless we’re willing to spend considerably more (unlikely for effectiveIy a plan B type of player) I think this would be a reasonable deal and as good as we’re going to for that money. 

Edited by Clint
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Yes i Agree but will Farke use a Plan B ?

i have been one to criticise  Farke for not having a plan B is that because he did not have the players for a more direct style or was it he stuck to his style ? 

I Also agree if you are spending that sort of money  the player will want game time and with Pukki will he get it ? 

33 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We have a system where wingers and full backs cut inside at the 18 yard point and the it all gets very slow and congested. 

Not sure how Hugill fits into that system. 

If you want to defend corners, buy and coach defenders, don't buy a goal shy striker 

If we are interested in Hugill then clearly we are looking at having an option for a different way of playing. But that will only be in matches where its needed. Generally id expect us to play the way we know 90% of the time - we would be daft not to.

Any signing we make in the mould of Hugill would know he is the 'alternative' rather than the primary option.