Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

National

46169 - 529

Local  positives slowly falling back, hospitalisations should continue to rise for a few more days.

2.6 million jabs into 2.3 million people.

image.png.e583827004a4ad665b1a3c2760bb2a9d.png

image.png.d50825829bc86f364cd7c87fa500bbbf.png

Edited by ricardo

I thought I would share this bbc video, it sort of shows at speed the process I spoke about. Things might change, but to timescale them for you, queue, could be 5 - 15 minutes, checking in a couple of minutes, form fill and medical assessment 5 minutes, wait for vaccination ( depends how busy ), vaccination a couple of minutes, sit down to ensure no side effects 15 minutes, book next appointment a couple of minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55624751

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is there any need for targets? Why are politicians obsessed by them? Just keep accelerating the process and we will all get done. I'm not convinced that things will alter dramatically in our lives until we are all done. And even then it will be slowly easing off restrictions.

Surely even the most greedy have to concede the economy has to take second place until we have all been vaccinated and the data analysed.

How is it being 'greedy' to want restrictions to be progressively eased (once the lockdown and vaccinations can be really seen to turning the screw on COVID?) The 'economy' = JOBS. Naff all to do with greed surely? It won't be until 'autumn' that 'ALL' have been vaccinated and then you want to wait 'until the data is analysed'?? 

it is not about data being analysed, but small minded bigots like yourself scrabbling around to find something that can be used to prop up your nationalised mania

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

@paul moy

So first Rees Mogg breaks the rules now the Prime Minister doing what he is telling others not to do. I see what you mean about these silly idiots. Maybe he thought he was the invisible man the vaccine secretary and nobody would spot him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

I'm not Boris' biggest fan but this is such a non-story. Taking a lone bike ride outside should be encouraged and 7 miles from his home is barely worth mentioning.

allowing low risk outdoor activities is one of the areas where our government has done the right thing when balancing the risks. Any virologist will tell you just how biased the spread of this virus is in crowded and indoor areas (>95% of cases traced to indoors settings).

Sure there are idiosyncrasies to worry about such as how people travel to those spots sometimes and people taking the rule and interpreting it incorrectly to do more risky things but for the sanity of everyone, it would be a huge shame if these sorts of activities were banned. Dare I say it, it may make things worse since people then can't choose to go outside for fresh air. Might make people break the rules more or even up the household member to member transmission rate.

The real focus has to be on areas of most concern where society hasn't shut (essential businesses and schools etc.) and doing everything we can to make those environments as safe as possible. There will be factories and schools out there that will no doubt be slack with their measures either through lack of funding or complacency and these need a bit of a shot in the arm to make sure they stay safe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

How is it being 'greedy' to want restrictions to be progressively eased (once the lockdown and vaccinations can be really seen to turning the screw on COVID?) The 'economy' = JOBS. Naff all to do with greed surely? It won't be until 'autumn' that 'ALL' have been vaccinated and then you want to wait 'until the data is analysed'?? 

Your views on lockdown are well known so I didn't expect anything else from you.

Have you been told the vaccine works 100%? 

Have you been told how long it is likely to work for?

How can we safely return to normality until we know how effective the vaccine will be ongoing?

So carry on worrying about the economy and I'll worry about my health.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Your views on lockdown are well known so I didn't expect anything else from you.

Have you been told the vaccine works 100%? 

Have you been told how long it is likely to work for?

How can we safely return to normality until we know how effective the vaccine will be ongoing?

So carry on worrying about the economy and I'll worry about my health.

What are you suggesting KG? That we stay in permanent full lockdown until October until everyone has been vaccinated and then another six months so we can check  “how long the vaccines work for”? 

Because if we’re in the current sort of lockdown that long then there will be more deaths from starvation and poverty (not to mention suicide) than from covid. 

I don’t see much issue with what yellowrider has said. Surely when a certain number have been vaccinated and the pressure the the nhs starts to decrease, the restrictions will be progressively eased. 

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I'm not Boris' biggest fan but this is such a non-story. Taking a lone bike ride outside should be encouraged and 7 miles from his home is barely worth mentioning.

Agree it’s a non story. The real story is that nobody really knows what the law is. Read the policing minister this morning saying (paraphrasing) that “local” is whatever people think it is in their own mind. The Met police commissioner said she thinks “local” means exercising from your front door and returning to your front door - on which basis driving 2 miles to take your dog round a park isn’t allowed whilst cycling 7 miles is. Where’s the logic there?

If you’re going to start being stricter with issuing fines and the like, as we keep hearing, you need to actually know what is and what isn’t an offence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

What are you suggesting KG? That we stay in permanent full lockdown until October until everyone has been vaccinated and then another six months so we can check  “how long the vaccines work for”? 

Because if we’re in the current sort of lockdown that long then there will be more deaths from starvation and poverty (not to mention suicide) than from covid. 

I don’t see much issue with what yellowrider has said. Surely when a certain number have been vaccinated and the pressure the the nhs starts to decrease, the restrictions will be progressively eased. 

I never mentioned lockdown. What I said was the economy takes second place. How many envisaged this situation in August?

And we will not know how effective the vaccine is until everyone has had it and by then some will be six months into it.

Until then, especially with the variants that keep occurring and scientists not agreeing, then we have to do everything in our power to minimise infections. If that means minimum social contact to not only stop the spread but allow people to work then so be it.

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Agree it’s a non story. The real story is that nobody really knows what the law is. Read the policing minister this morning saying (paraphrasing) that “local” is whatever people think it is in their own mind. The Met police commissioner said she thinks “local” means exercising from your front door and returning to your front door - on which basis driving 2 miles to take your dog round a park isn’t allowed whilst cycling 7 miles is. Where’s the logic there?

If you’re going to start being stricter with issuing fines and the like, as we keep hearing, you need to actually know what is and what isn’t an offence.

One of my sons if in the middle of a VERY important training course for his future employment, he's 30.

He has a very specific time period to complete ALL of his exams. The clock started in 09/2018 & finishes 09/2022.

The examining body, can't say but it is a gov dept, have not extended the time window as he 'can travel' to the training provider during the current lock as it would be a 'local' journey. Unfortunately the nearest 'training provider' is 100 miles EACH WAY, and the Norfolk Chief Constable said yesterday that he does not take his dog to the beach for exercise during the lockdown as it is a 10 min walk!!!

Mixed messages!!!!

Edited by SteveN8458
spelling police :)
  • Like 1

Coronavirus: UK’s four biggest supermarkets ban shoppers without masks

About time too, incredible that there are still  people who are so self important and lacking in empathy for others, let alone the health of others, that they think the rules dont apply to them. We had a few of our own on the pink un, I trust they saw the error of their ways a long time ago and now behave responsibly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

allowing low risk outdoor activities is one of the areas where our government has done the right thing when balancing the risks. Any virologist will tell you just how biased the spread of this virus is in crowded and indoor areas (>95% of cases traced to indoors settings).

Sure there are idiosyncrasies to worry about such as how people travel to those spots sometimes and people taking the rule and interpreting it incorrectly to do more risky things but for the sanity of everyone, it would be a huge shame if these sorts of activities were banned. Dare I say it, it may make things worse since people then can't choose to go outside for fresh air. Might make people break the rules more or even up the household member to member transmission rate.

The real focus has to be on areas of most concern where society hasn't shut (essential businesses and schools etc.) and doing everything we can to make those environments as safe as possible. There will be factories and schools out there that will no doubt be slack with their measures either through lack of funding or complacency and these need a bit of a shot in the arm to make sure they stay safe.

Whereas I agree with you it's largely a non story - we should not however encourage people even for exercise to venture more than mile or two from home even on their bikes - that's called 'flexing' the rules as it's needless.

I have similar views on joggers puffing and panting as they come past pedestrians. It's not needed / wanted and frankly selfish in these times.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Confused 1

On 11/01/2021 at 10:22, It's Character Forming said:

Well, I've given up on any intelligent discussion with you ..........

......given up before you actually started it seems 😀

But at least it saves us both from wasting any more time than we already have, so all good 👍

Edited by Creative Midfielder

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National 45553 - 1243

Local

fairly steady the past few days.

image.png.4a98250fe87ef575088a35783f07ffae.png

image.png.6a4b8f05c44e04f649e604828ff2530a.png

Hard to guage both local and national stats at the moment, those stats for Norwich still show positive cases / deaths / hospital admissions rising by 40-50% for the last 7 days and nationally its even harder to get a clear picture. Last week's record  numbers of daily deaths / positive cases came on the Friday, not the usual highest day cases of Tuesday / Wednesday period. But todays positive cases of 45k is  a good bit lower than last Tuesdays 60k but deaths are up for the same day. Just need to see what the rest of the week gives to see if Hancock's "we are in he worst period" is true or not.

15 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Hard to guage both local and national stats at the moment, those stats for Norwich still show positive cases / deaths / hospital admissions rising by 40-50% for the last 7 days and nationally its even harder to get a clear picture. Last week's record  numbers of daily deaths / positive cases came on the Friday, not the usual highest day cases of Tuesday / Wednesday period. But todays positive cases of 45k is  a good bit lower than last Tuesdays 60k but deaths are up for the same day. Just need to see what the rest of the week gives to see if Hancock's "we are in he worst period" is true or not.

I think it is true insofar as the hospitalisation numbers and the numbers that will be coming through based on the historic data.

Sticking my neck out I recon we are probably at or maybe just over the peak of this wave and if we follow the rules things are going to start looking better on the test results over the next week or so. 🤞

Story on BBC local news for London this morning (for some reason my tv aerial won’t pick up the local news for Nottingham) saying Heathrow arrivals were down to 20m last year compared to 60m in a normal year.

I did a quick google search on NZ and found their government stats that total visitors to the whole of NZ for 2019 were 3.88m. So compare that to 60m visitors via just one UK airport. Just part of the explanation why NZ was a teeny bit better placed than, well, not just the UK, but just about every other country in the entire world to deal with Covid.

26 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What may be the big story around Boris is, considering he purports to do so much exercise, why is he a Michelin man still?

Pies? or Porkys

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Story on BBC local news for London this morning (for some reason my tv aerial won’t pick up the local news for Nottingham) saying Heathrow arrivals were down to 20m last year compared to 60m in a normal year.

I did a quick google search on NZ and found their government stats that total visitors to the whole of NZ for 2019 were 3.88m. So compare that to 60m visitors via just one UK airport. Just part of the explanation why NZ was a teeny bit better placed than, well, not just the UK, but just about every other country in the entire world to deal with Covid.

I may be wrong but didn't they suspended all flights or only those for essential returnees and/or enforce quarantine and negative tests. Something we very are only just starting.

30 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think the quality of leadership can and should be compared between all nations ICT but outcomes are also dependant on so many other factors each peculiar to each country.

I don’t see how anyone can be other than very critical of the way we have managed the pandemic in the UK, but other factors like as you say being an international hub, significant health inequalities, the general level of health of the population, compliant society etc etc will all also have an effect on the outcomes 

Edited by Van wink

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I may be wrong but didn't they suspended all flights or only those for essential returnees and/or enforce quarantine and negative tests. Something we very are only just starting.

Hi

Please don’t involve me in any comparisons but for all your info this is the timing of the various border closures and to whom in New Zealand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53274085

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes, they did - something (the quarantine part I mean) that the scientists and indeed the airline companies themselves have been begging the UK government to do for months.

Not really sure what point @It's Character Forming is trying to make, of course the absolute number of people entering the UK is huge compared to the NZ, as are the resources available to deal with them.

Our economy is massive compared to NZ, as is our health service, as is our Navy and Border Force but apparently we're not capable of genuinely controlling our own borders - that is going to come as a major disappointment to the Brexiteers amongst us 😂