Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

National

25,161 - 37

rate of Increase 5.2% (7 days)

looks like remaining bumpy for the next few days

Local

Norwich infection rate     441.7   second drop in last7 days, seems to have peaked

(18 patients in N&N  ( no update))

Vax

1st Dose      22,843                89% done                 Norwich numbers   76.3%

2nd Dose     122,070              74.8% done                                                    59.2%

In Hospital ( numbers slowly decling)

06-08-2021           5,608
05-08-2021 5,645
04-08-2021 5,701
03-08-2021 5,927
02-08-2021 6,146
01-08-2021 5,918
31-07-2021 5,901

My perception (currently on holiday in the Cotswolds) is that people are gradually relaxing towards normal so no surprise really if the decline in cases has stopped at the moment, we’ll have to wait and see. Good to see numbers in hospital still on a downwards trajectory, very gradual yes but going in the right direction.

With no restrictions at all , as long as case numbers are under control and hospitals have capacity, that’s what we need, the decision to open up at the start of the school holidays and summer is definitely looking a very good call.

I would not be at all surprised if we see a sustained number of new cases with ups and downs over the next few months, but hopefully we can avoid restrictions being reimposed.

National

23,510 - 146

rate of Increase 7.3% (7 days)

looks like remaining bumpy for the next few days ZOE back up a bit

Local

Norwich infection rate     451.5  almost static last 4 days.

Vax

1st Dose      32,250                89% done                 Norwich numbers   76.3%  just 18 first doses given yesterday

2nd Dose     137,028              75% done                                                    59.3%

In Hospital ( up a bit after decline, flat on the week)

09-08-2021           5,909
08-08-2021 5,763
07-08-2021 5,613
06-08-2021 5,673
05-08-2021 5,692
04-08-2021 5,737
03-08-2021 5,958

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

23,510 - 146

Local

Vax

1st Dose      32,250                89% done                 Norwich numbers   76.3%  just 18 first doses given yesterday

2nd Dose     137,028              75% done                                                    59.3%

08-08-2021 5,763
07-08-2021 5,613
06-08-2021 5,673
05-08-2021 5,692
04-08-2021 5,737
03-08-2021 5,958

I wonder how influential the weather is being in this data.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

I wonder how influential the weather is being in this data.

Its certainly different in different regions. Some parts going up, some going down, like the weather I suppose. Not been a great summer so far in East Anglia anyway.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

National

23,510 - 146

Local

Vax

08-08-2021 5,763
07-08-2021 5,613
06-08-2021 5,673
05-08-2021 5,692
04-08-2021 5,737
03-08-2021 5,958

Just wonder if there is now some evidence starting to show of a pattern of prolonged stability in these figures, certainly for weekly new cases and hospital admissions. Hard to put an exact number on those two areas, but maybe 25k new cases daily and about 6k admissions could be with us for at least the next few weeks. Things may change  from Sept. with schools reopening and weather cooling down.

Deaths still rising a tad but no significant speed to it, perhaps that is starting to stabilise to. Whether these  figures  are enough for us all to consider we have returned to normal and living with Covid remains to be seen. As for our dear NHS its most burning issue now is the long running problem with a mountain of back logged  stuff  that was already huge before Covid but now must be far far worse.

48 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Just wonder if there is now some evidence starting to show of a pattern of prolonged stability in these figures, certainly for weekly new cases and hospital admissions. Hard to put an exact number on those two areas, but maybe 25k new cases daily and about 6k admissions could be with us for at least the next few weeks. Things may change  from Sept. with schools reopening and weather cooling down.

Deaths still rising a tad but no significant speed to it, perhaps that is starting to stabilise to. Whether these  figures  are enough for us all to consider we have returned to normal and living with Covid remains to be seen. As for our dear NHS its most burning issue now is the long running problem with a mountain of back logged  stuff  that was already huge before Covid but now must be far far worse.

I reckon you will be right, there will be ups and downs no doubt but the average will no doubt be about this level for a few months. Note that the hospitalisation is in hospital currently not daily admissions and I’m watching the average death rate as it’s pretty much lower each month than the 5 year average, so you must ask how many of these deaths with Covid would have ended up in hospital and died even without Covid?

But very comforting that the level of numbers are nowhere near those exaggerated levels being banded about by the gloomy brigade! 👍💚💛

I see that the Oxford group are not happy with the U.K. government. They were already not happy that under 50’s were vaccinated before vaccines were spread around the world. When questioned about boosters he was even less impressed.

This has been criticised, with Sir Andrew telling the All Party Parliamentary Group on coronavirus that any spare jabs should "go where they can have the greatest impact" to protect unvaccinated people abroad.

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I see that the Oxford group are not happy with the U.K. government. They were already not happy that under 50’s were vaccinated before vaccines were spread around the world. When questioned about boosters he was even less impressed.

This has been criticised, with Sir Andrew telling the All Party Parliamentary Group on coronavirus that any spare jabs should "go where they can have the greatest impact" to protect unvaccinated people abroad.

Recurring jabs here won't matter much if we get hit by variant that evades immunity. Such variant almost certainly would develop in poor countries with huge populations with partial immunity. Not a coincidence delta originated from India. Hence it would be important to suppress covid in those countries and vaccines will give them window of opportunity to do that.

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Recurring jabs here won't matter much if we get hit by variant that evades immunity. Such variant almost certainly would develop in poor countries with huge populations with partial immunity. Not a coincidence delta originated from India. Hence it would be important to suppress covid in those countries and vaccines will give them window of opportunity to do that.

And if a meteorite hit the earth we’re all ****ed anyway! You’re a joyful ****, I bet you can’t wait if one variant did come along which evaded our vaccines you’d be in heaven say I told you so! 
There’s a chances of either happening but until we know it’s there let’s enjoy a bit of a normal life for a while please! If I was you I’d be more worried about the next ten years of global warming! Have a drink and just enjoy life best you can instead of worrying about the next variant! As said there’s top scientists looking at using the nucleus as the marker instead of the protein, once they or if they can do that variants don’t matter much.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Indy said:

And if a meteorite hit the earth we’re all ****ed anyway! You’re a joyful ****, I bet you can’t wait if one variant did come along which evaded our vaccines you’d be in heaven say I told you so! 
There’s a chances of either happening but until we know it’s there let’s enjoy a bit of a normal life for a while please! If I was you I’d be more worried about the next ten years of global warming! Have a drink and just enjoy life best you can instead of worrying about the next variant! As said there’s top scientists looking at using the nucleus as the marker instead of the protein, once they or if they can do that variants don’t matter much.

Calm down. You seem to think that the options available are either no fun allowed or anything goes. This is not true. We have good tools at our disposal of which vaccines are one. See below for a partial list*. All of those measures and many others are used in various forms all over the world. The problem is that they are not implemented consistently and they are often used in place of eachother instead of at the same time.

There is I think a huge natural impulse towards "THE CURE", so things can return to how we think society should be like. It is natural to be angry towards those who undermine that impulse by providing information that runs counter to that hope. The problem is that denialism will make it more likely for bad things to happen. Being careful will make bad outcomes less likely to happen. Better have most of the fun all of the time than all of the fun some of the time.

*Universal FFP2 mask mandate, rapid antigen testing at home, effective testing & tracing, increasing ventilation combined with CO2 meters and ail filtration with HEPA filters, adopting distance working/schooling as part of normal functioning of society (e.g. 3-4 days in and 1-2 ways out), giving people accurate and evidence based information as opposed to telling them things that politicians and officials want to tell them, promoting economic activity that is less risky (outdoor activities, construction etc) and disincentivizing (not necessarily banning) activities with large negative externalities (jam packed clubs and concerts...basically anything with alcohol involved), etc etc.

National

29,612 - 104

rate of Increase 6.5% (7 days)

Very static

Local

Norwich infection rate     446.6  little difference last 4 days

Vax

1st Dose      37,511                89.1% done                 Norwich numbers   76.3%

2nd Dose     151,143              75.3% done                                                    59.4%

In Hospital

10-08-2021                              5,912
09-08-2021 5,938
08-08-2021 5,783
07-08-2021 5,627
06-08-2021 5,681
05-08-2021 5,697
04-08-2021 5,740
Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Well b back said:

Only country in the world that can lead this is USA and with Joe Biden and Faucci in charge that just isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Only country in the world that can lead this is USA and with Joe Biden and Faucci in charge that just isn't going to happen.

I will stand to be corrected but I understood USA have exported between 100 and 150 million doses of Oxford. They have also licensed Pfizer to be manufactured in South Africa for African Nations. The EU are manufacturing 2 billion doses of Pfizer for global usage. 
But Sir Andrew’s comments were not about manufacture and distribution, they were about the U.K. using a third booster dose when large parts of the world are yet to receive one dose. 

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I will stand to be corrected but I understood USA have exported between 100 and 150 million doses of Oxford. They have also licensed Pfizer to be manufactured in South Africa for African Nations. The EU are manufacturing 2 billion doses of Pfizer for global usage. 
But Sir Andrew’s comments were not about manufacture and distribution, they were about the U.K. using a third booster dose when large parts of the world are yet to receive one dose. 

I was really responding to this part:

Manufacturing is not the major problem and as you correctly say, billions of doses can be manufactured. The problem lies in the logistics of delivering these doses around the world in a timely manner, under the proper conditions and with the trained personnel needed to administer the jab plus having all the management and administrative processes in place to ensure a smooth operation. Frankly, this is too massive a task for the UK to take on. We could do bits and pieces here and there but in order to be successful the vaccinations need to be rolled out globally.

I have my doubts whether WHO could manage this. Like the UK, they could probably handle small-scale rollouts but it needs strong leadership to do this on a worldwide scale. Problem with the USA is that Faucci is now mired in the coverup that he secretly financed the 'gain-function' research in the Wuhan labs that led to this virus escaping and infecting the world. So he longer has the authority needed to lead this. This is also beyond Biden's capabilities as he slips into dementia-led befuddlement. Perhaps someone like Putin might step up to the plate.

13 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Perhaps someone like Putin might step up to the plate.

I'm sure putin and xi would be more than happy to assist in the roll out, especially in resource rich parts of Africa.  It could well be in our (western) interests to get in there first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I'm sure putin and xi would be more than happy to assist in the roll out, especially in resource rich parts of Africa.  It could well be in our (western) interests to get in there first.

I think you'll find Putin and the Chinese already have so we're aiming at third spot at best, well the US is.

As far as the UK is concerned apparently the Government is sitting on\building a 200m+ stiockpile of jabs which aren't going to go anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think you'll find Putin and the Chinese already have so we're aiming at third spot at best, well the US is.

As far as the UK is concerned apparently the Government is sitting on\building a 200m+ stiockpile of jabs which aren't going to go anywhere.

But we still think we are a major player especially now we have our sovereignty back🇬🇧🇬🇧

The world sees us as a joke at the moment.

Only this mob would hold the G7 in one of the poorest areas of the country but at a wealthy resort. What a joke.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But we still think we are a major player especially now we have our sovereignty back🇬🇧🇬🇧

The world sees us as a joke at the moment.

Only this mob would hold the G7 in one of the poorest areas of the country but at a wealthy resort. What a joke.

We are a joke at the moment, sadly of the very sick variety

National

33,074 - 94

rate of Increase 8.6% (7 days)

Local

Norwich infection rate     449.4  little difference last 5 days

(27 patients in N&N  ( updated to 10th Aug))

Vax

1st Dose      41,568                89.2% done                 Norwich numbers   76.3%

2nd Dose     173,161              75.7% done                                                    59.9%

In Hospital

11-08-2021                  5,909
10-08-2021 5,950
09-08-2021 5,953
08-08-2021 5,798
07-08-2021 5,643
06-08-2021 5,697
05-08-2021 5,708

Everything seems a bit static at the moment, consistant with ZOE App numbers.

5 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The statistical improbability of Russia's reported numbers.

45 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The statistical improbability of Russia's reported numbers.

Don't think it will come as any surprise to anyone if Putin is making up the numbers on the Russian Covid deaths that surely is business as usual over there.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with the Russians and the Chinese delivering vaccine to Africa and elsewhere, or indeed the UK stockpiling it at home???