Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

The German media are not fooled by the EU's bluster

image.thumb.png.841d2382b7b465d475169a803ac3a199.png

We would step in and manufacture the vaccines here. That would really see something hitting the fan

6 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Agree with you paul about the government and its vax program, also daily testings to, today for example, 771,000 testings, an astonishing leap forward  compared to the sluggish start we had last Spring.

Have to disagree with you about us being close to end game though. With less than half million 2nd doses  given there is still a long road ahead and as yet we still dont know what impact overall population  vax coverage will have on Covid spread, it could have either a major or minor role in the control of  said spread. To, its a brave person to say the end game is near when dealing with this virus, its proven to be able to vary its make up and also proven to be incredibly resilient to. Not even spoken about the economic and mental health fall outs from this pandemic, those are associated factors that will have to be dealt with as time goes by.

As the vaccine is being given to the elderly who do not mix with the general population nearly as much as other age groups - particularly in the winter - I think it is reasonable it will be some time yet to say we are nearing the end game. Personal responsibility and vigilance are still the key words.

Well done to all at the Quadram Institute based at the Norfolk and Norwich. Your important role in the development/testing of the Novavax vaccine is much appreciated.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

Surely it is not going unnoticed by the world that the UK is now a centre of excellence for vaccine development.

I am so proud of my country......   🤗

Novavax has 89% efficacy on UK and Brazil variants !!!

NB:  Apologies but I think that should be Kent variant rather than Brazil variant... my error methinks

Edited by paul moy

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

For the idiots on here, Novavax is produced by an American company

Indeed, but the expertise is in the UK 🤗

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

As the vaccine is being given to the elderly who do not mix with the general population nearly as much as other age groups - particularly in the winter - I think it is reasonable it will be some time yet to say we are nearing the end game. Personal responsibility and vigilance are still the key words.

Of course it will be some time, but the key thing is that it should be an end to lockdowns, an end to high death rates and high hospital admissions and a slow return to some form of normality for our country, and well ahead of the rest of the world thanks to the scientific expertise in our country. 

🤗

30 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Surely it is not going unnoticed by the world that the UK is now a centre of excellence for vaccine development.

I am so proud of my country......   🤗

Novavax has 89% efficacy on UK and Brazil variants !!!

Where do you get the 89% efficacy on Brazil variant from. I don’t think that’s been shown in the data.

The data released so far is here for those that are interested.

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrates-893-efficacy-uk-phase-3

Edited by Van wink

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Where do you get the 89% efficacy on Brazil variant from. I don’t think that’s been shown in the data.

I think he means the Kent variant. Easy to mix up.😉

You would think by now that everyone ought to be capable of recognising and celebrating the fact that the incredible work on vaccines has been a triumph for international efforts. What a shame that some people still see this as some sort of competition to get one-over other nations.

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrates-893-efficacy-uk-phase-3

Thank you. A vast age range in the study.👍

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

An insight into another world reflected in the South African data being split between HIV positive and non positive cases. We often forget the high prevalence of HIV that still exists in places like Africa and this of course will make the impact of Covid far more significant for those individuals. Good to see the vaccine was however over 40% effective even in HIV + cases

9 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

IThe jab has been thoroughly tested for safety in the over 65s and has been tested for immune response.  Rhe only thing that has not been proved to the highest of level is efficacy but given it provokes the same response in younger patients where it is proven it is hardly a jump to say acceptable levels of efficacy  are almost certain.

That simply isn't true.  The vaccines have not been thoroughly tested in over-65s for either safety or effectiveness.  In the Pfizer trial about 12% of volunteers were aged over 55 which the Lancet concludes isn't enough to give a clear picture one way or the other.  "We will have to wait and see" is the only honest conclusion.  In that respect the vaccination programme is a kind of unregulated clinical trial.  Many medicines affect older people differently to younger ones, so no assumptions can be made.

The safety/effectiveness data which does exist only relates to using the vaccines as directed by the producers, which isn't happening here.  Once again we will have to wait and see.

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

You would think by now that everyone ought to be capable of recognising and celebrating the fact that the incredible work on vaccines has been a triumph for international efforts. What a shame that some people still see this as some sort of competition to get one-over other nations.

Yep, it’s a shame, but the Germans have always been this way so there’s no reason to suspect this situation should be any different.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

That simply isn't true.  The vaccines have not been thoroughly tested in over-65s for either safety or effectiveness.  In the Pfizer trial about 12% of volunteers were aged over 55 which the Lancet concludes isn't enough to give a clear picture one way or the other.  "We will have to wait and see" is the only honest conclusion.  In that respect the vaccination programme is a kind of unregulated clinical trial.  Many medicines affect older people differently to younger ones, so no assumptions can be made.

The safety/effectiveness data which does exist only relates to using the vaccines as directed by the producers, which isn't happening here.  Once again we will have to wait and see.

I think this is wrong, but no doubt @Well b back knows for definite.  But I think the doubt is about the level of effectiveness not safety.  A hugely important difference - if I were over 65, I'd be happy to take the vaccine if I knew it was safe, even if it was debatable how good the protection it would give.

Like we've just seen with the Novavax trial - if you had HIV and knew you'd get only 40% effectiveness, you'd still take it (at least, I would !).

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think this is wrong, but no doubt @Well b back knows for definite.  But I think the doubt is about the level of effectiveness not safety.  A hugely important difference - if I were over 65, I'd be happy to take the vaccine if I knew it was safe, even if it was debatable how good the protection it would give.

The information comes from the Lancet if you want to check it.

Shortage of older volunteers is recognised as a problem with all clinical trials, but it's a particular drawback in this instance because the elderly are disproportionately affected by covid.

Edited by benchwarmer

39 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Aha....I may be wrong.  A Novavax expert on Five Live stated that 50% of testing was done on each variant but maybe he was referring to the UK variant.  That sounds more correct doesn't it.

Edited by paul moy

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

I do believe I have. 

6 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Aha....I may be wrong.  A Novavax expert on Five Live stated that 50% of testing was done on each variant but maybe he was referring to the UK variant.  That sounds more correct doesn't it.

I think its the original virus, the UK variant and the SA variant that they have released data for.

Edited by Van wink

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

I think its the original virus, the UK variant and the SA variant that they have released data for.

I have a feeling it was the UK variant as the expert said that it was just as widespread as the original and thus the data is excellent for both.

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'd like to know how the vaccine is made and how many can be made in a day, what's in the stuff ?

Paul Moy brews it up. You really don't want to know what is in it.😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

If you had HIV and knew you'd get only 40% effectiveness, you'd still take it (at least, I would !).

Untreated HIV is almost 100% fatal, covid about 3% in the UK and close to zero if you're under 65.  That's the difference.

Edited by benchwarmer

4 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I have a feeling it was the UK variant as the expert said that it was just as widespread as the original and thus the data is excellent for both.

It really does make you proud to be British, doesn't it.

Of all of the countries we managed to get a variant that was more widespread than the other loser countries. What a pathetic bunch they are.

Hey, rest of the World, stop being stupid, if you want a widespread variant you need to get the UK version, those other ones are rubbish.

42 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I know you don't like to admit it but we really should be proud.  We are tops in biotech and this has been acknowledged for a few years and now we have absolute proof that we are a world leader which augurs well for our independent future.

But Covid is more serious for people with underlying health conditions, like HIV - doh.  Hence why it's an important point that has been flagged about the results - it gives a level of protection for HIV positive people against Covid.  I'm assuming those people are having treatment for HIV. 

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It really does make you proud to be British, doesn't it.

Of all of the countries we managed to get a variant that was more widespread than the other loser countries. What a pathetic bunch they are.

Hey, rest of the World, stop being stupid, if you want a widespread variant you need to get the UK version, those other ones are rubbish.

Well it worked in our favour so maybe give Boris some credit for allowing it to develop here.....😉

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

But Covid is more serious for people with underlying health conditions, like HIV - doh.  Hence why it's an important point that has been flagged about the results - it gives a level of protection for HIV positive people against Covid.  I'm assuming those people are having treatment for HIV. 

that was the point, and just really a recognition that HIV is still a huge problem in Africa which we often forget

• Like 1