Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Taking a win against Ipswich for granted

The problem with having the division's whipping boys as your derby match is that they will up their intensity for a one off game - this is probably their biggest game of the rest of the season. After it they may well accept their fate.

So I fully expect it to be a lot tighter than the form book would suggest.

• Like 1

Never count on anything as far as derby games go. And this could also be Ipswich's last chance of getting anything out of this season, they may bring a "we may be going down but at least we can take you out" attitude. I expect Ipswich to crowd the midfield, waste time, and play long ball - like Sheff Utd were expected to do, but they have way more skill than the current Ipswich team, so didn't have to.

I'd take a 1 goal win and no major injuries / players sent off please.

Never count on anything as far as any game goes - Derby games are no different

I wouldn't count on us keeping a clean sheet at home that's for sure and that's part of the form book that probably will continue. The scum are absolutely abysmal away though so I would go for 2-1.

Ipswich fans I work with have already targeted the game as ending our hopes of auto promotion, on the basis of course that we get tanked at Leeds as well. It could be the turning point of both team's seasons. I'm dreading it to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ipswich fans I work with have already targeted the game as ending our hopes of auto promotion, on the basis of course that we get tanked at Leeds as well. It could be the turning point of both team's seasons. I'm dreading it to be honest.

Just as they did in April 2011

much talk, little action....as usual

☂️

If this was the away fixture I would buy the cautious comments above but at Carrow Road we can DO THIS!

Yes, form goes out of the window but the fans will be hungry for blood and our lads won't want to disappoint.

So there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of taking a win against the scum for granted, we all know they’ll be super motivated and lambert knows how to win these games.

on paper city would be strong favourites but we all know about football not being played on paper...

The derby is at a very interesting point in both our seasons.

IF we manage a win at Elland Rd then it may take the pressure of us needing a win in the game. We play without nerves and trounce them.

IF town scrape a win against Sheff Wed who are slap bang in mid table safety zone and ship goals in for fun. Then they may come here with a plan to grab a point and not be too gung ho derby style.

That said I'd take a 1-0 win right now.

"Never count on anything as far as any game goes - Derby games are no different."

In many ways they are not, but for many reasons built up by intense rivalry over many years and now internet taunting there is always more tension in the stands and on the field of play than for any other fixture.

There is therefore something different, perhaps edgy about the the game.

Although he never actually won a game against us McCarthy's sides were always geared up to put up a fight against us. Blimey we needed an extra time header from Klose to prevent them breaking their long period without beating us.

Even the hapless Hurst had them 1-0 up against us until Leitner pulled a shot out of the bag for a draw.(Nb not the expected win.)

Goodness knows what Lambert has up his sleeve. It's this "pride" thing as exists in no other fixture.

Norwich should win  at a canter. But I, like others, refuse to be over-confident.

Our imported players might be less effected about such a fixture, but even they will notice the differences on the day.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Putting the local rivalry to one side, they would normally be delighted with one point against a side second in the table. Will they play for a draw?

Is the derby game anything more than a spectacle for the fans?

I know the atmosphere will create its tension and I assume the players will feel it on the pitch. But I wonder if DF is telling the players it is just another important game to win? And the addition of Lambert in the mix should create a bit of a hostile environment.

I look at our squad and think that maybe they will be as professional as they were against Rotherham. Is there anyone in the squad who may overreact to the occasion. Maybe Emi?

I think back to Holt really winding them up by his attitude in recent times. But looking at our squad, I don't think they will underestimate them, although I do expect Lambert to tell his lot to try and wind us up.

Given the disparity in quality I would expect them to be very physical and try to stop us playing our game, go for long balls, play on the break and take what they can at set pieces.

The difference between this and (say)Rotherham coming to CR this season is the intensity you can expect from the 1p5wich players and fans, especially if they get somewhere in the game.  Which is even more than usual given they are on course for relegation, and given the Lambert factor too.

It's worth remembering the playoff semi at CR, the quality disparity was probably as great as it is now but they were able to get an equaliser and stay in the game until our superior quality started to tell in the second half.

Yep I expect Farke not to underestimate them, but certainly will want our players to play a controlled game and not get drawn into any nonsense they come up with.

I hope i'm right to think Emi has the temperament to deal with this and will restrict himself to making the most of any bad challenges on him... and hopefully not being back in our box too much....

16 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

If we’re not 5-0 up by half time I’m booing 

I'm not even waiting this long!

Nothing less than a cricket score and total humiliation will do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bill said:

Never count on anything as far as any game goes - Derby games are no different

• Derby games especially 👍  Bill.   

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:
  • Derby games especially 👍  Bill.   

nope, that is a myth which the evidence does not support

I've seen NO evidence that the results fall outside of the usual variance

If we have three players sent off - and they hit top form - and we fail to score - and the ref is on their side -  they may just sneak a draw. 🤪

They are absolutely dreadful. I wouldn’t expect Fulham to get a result at Man City currently, and I don’t expect Ip****e to get a result at ours. Yes, funny things happen in football, but very unlikely given where we both are right now. I don’t think a 3 or 4 nil to us is unreasonable at all, and to be fair, we have it in our locker to absolutely batter them - can you say the same about them in all honesty?

3 hours ago, Bill said:

nope, that is a myth which the evidence does not support

I've seen NO evidence that the results fall outside of the usual variance

I can't find any research online that has looked at this either way, unless anyone can find it  ?  Otherwise, an opening for a bit of ground-breaking research there if you'd like to do it ? 

I'm taking nothing for granted but looking at all the stats it's hard to find an argument against a home win. Apparently they've a higher pass completion percentage than anyone else in the League! Passing sideways across the back four and back to your 'keeper is not going to win many games. Player for player it's clear who'll be playing the football, I know there's the Lambert factor to consider but this may be beyond even him. 

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

They are absolutely dreadful. I wouldn’t expect Fulham to get a result at Man City currently, and I don’t expect Ip****e to get a result at ours. Yes, funny things happen in football, but very unlikely given where we both are right now. I don’t think a 3 or 4 nil to us is unreasonable at all, and to be fair, we have it in our locker to absolutely batter them - can you say the same about them in all honesty?

That said, Norwich beat Man U when Norwich were bottom of the Prem and Man U were top.

Go figure !

13 minutes ago, K Lo said:

That said, Norwich beat Man U when Norwich were bottom of the Prem and Man U were top.

Go figure !

That is quite true K Lo, and of course there are always exceptions - if we just think we have to turn up then of course we will lose. But you would have to say, we are very strongly fancied for 3 points in this particular meeting for as much the reason that they’re as awful as we are fantastic this season. I will be very surprised if we don’t pick up 3 points against them. 

By the way we play, we give opportunities for the opposition, whoever they are, so the result is definitely not a foregone conclusion. They will probably play a high tempo game trying to hustle us out of our stride which will make it difficult for us - and if we are careless in possession, they might get a chance or two. So we will have to bring our very best game to the occasion and it will no doubt be a difficult and close match. 

That said, we should be able to win, but it won't be easy! 

I will obviously take any win but after two or three rather disappointing displays against them in the last couple of years I must say I have a thirst for blood and a real desire to send them off towards League 1 on the back of a good hiding. i also feel with the quality in our play of late we have the tools to give them one. Its massively clear that we are superior in terms of quality and ability and were this any other fixture then I would expect nothing less than a comfortable home win.

That said, its the derby, they will be hugely up for it, we know Lambert has (or had) a knack of winning big games and you just never know when w ref might throw a spanner in the works with a red card or a stupid penalty decision. I really hope that Farke has us extra focussed and fired up for this one in a controlled manner so we can fight fire with fire and like I said, any kind of win will do!