Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk  Dan

The Official Match Day Thread - v The Blades

Need to find our Farke (Fergie) time again. 3-2 anyone? Last minute would be justice for Bramhall Lane

Very Disappointing. 

Leaking again. One pointless goal. Second half performance not as good either.

Fair play to a stubborn SU I suppose

Terrible goals to concede from two individual errors. Sheff Utd are bunch of knobheads - those who said they weren't cloggers clearly don't know what they're talking about. Basham in particular is a c-un-t. We scored two great goals playing proper football on the plus side.

Another ref with no consistency whatsoever. Let the game flow which was a plus but booked Zimmermann for the same tackle Sheff Utd players had already made 4 or 5 times, and let them kick us off the park with late tackles and leaving the foot in.

Just now, Darth Canary1 said:

Disappointing but at least we didn't lose. The goals against is a huge concern. We really could do with beating Leeds next weekend.

I checked the stats on this earlier - we're about mid-table in terms of goals per game (conceded). Need to tighten up for the run in though, it has to improve if we want to go up.

We look tired and no tempo in second half.

Farke see we play nothing last 20 minutes and not use his bench once more .

With this approach in front of hostile Eland Road I not see much chance for something.

Must add Hanley away from home because simply Godfrey not good positioning on keeper box .

Bring fresh players back from inj also better schedule after Leeds game.

I reckon on our reckon run of games against the top teams we would fail in the playoff. Need to make automatic. Of note all the Championship teams today won or have to play a replay. Good eh.

When are we actually go to  beat a top 6 team? A draw was not a disaster but feels like a defeat. Farke slow making subs and shocking defending for their 2nd goal. Comes down to next week now. A must not lose and we have to beat the scum.

Decent result. Keeps a promotion rival at arms length and in touch with Leeds. Our record against the top 7/8 teams isn't the best, but equally we've haven't lost that many either. We're defending our position, as evident in our last two top six encounters. This tactic is ok, providing we beat the rest of the teams as we did in the first half of the season. 

My two main concerns are the amount of goals we ship (at home particularly) and Farke's delay in changing things. I do think its time to bring Hanley back in, and pray Klose gets fit. Farke should have brought a fresh pair of legs on around the 70 minute mark, with the energetic Kenny Mclean an obvious candidate. 

Anyway, its still very exciting. The class is still there, we just need a couple of key players (Leitner) back, and hope they hit the ground running like Buendia has. 

4 points in the next two would be fantastic. OTBC.

We ship far too many goals to be auto promotion imo. I don't fancy us in the play offs as we can't  beat anyone  any good. I hope I'm wrong but I think we are going to fall a little short 😞

A further thing, as fans, try not to get too hamstrung by the pressure. Relax and enjoy it. Norwich are playing a brand of football most haven't witnessed before, and it's very enjoyable to watch. At times we tear teams to pieces, and look a cut above. Having that potential in this league is brilliant. Don't worry if we lose a few. Just keep the underdog mentality and most importantly make plenty of noise win, lose or draw. We will continue to win more often than not for the remainder of this season.

Its not often seasons like this come around, and even less often when it's completely unexpected at  the start. Enjoy it. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 3

When are we actually go to  beat a top 6 team?

That is the only drawback to what has been a pretty remarkable season, taking everything into account. After the first few games who would have thought some would be disappointed with a draw against the Blades. And scouts coming to our matches to look at not only Aarons and Lewis but I suspect one or two others.

I remember (here we go again) in 1972 we had a similar problem. Couldn't beat the top teams. But as we finished above them we must have beat the teams they failed to. And maybe it is the same this season. We are above 22 other teams for a reason.

It was an intense game today and it looked tiring for both teams. Maybe we could have got the subs on earlier but it was so tight and tense that it is difficult to blame DF. We were under the cosh sometimes but pressuring them in return.

Yes a win should have been the end result but it was an entertaining game and four goals once again.

After the Leeds game, our only remaining game against a top six side is Boro away. plus Bristol at H.

Leeds still have to play Boro, WBA home, Sheff U at home and Bristol away.

Sheff U still have Boro H, WBA A, Sheff Weds A, Leeds A and Bristol H.

Edited by duke63

Just cannot continue having to score 3's and 4's at home to win football matches....it will simply cost us in the long run

...1 clean sheet in 10 and our team captain still cant get into the team....it cant go on

We are currently playing without three key players - Klose, a rejuvenated Tettey, and Leitner. As well as the replacements are filling in, the return of these three can only strengthen the team. Holding onto second place under these circumstances has been very commendable.

• Like 3

it cant go on

Why not? It has been for a while now. And aren't all the other teams shipping goals when we play them? 4 against WBA, 4 against Derby two against the Blades and we have Leeds and Boro to play.

43 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We ship far too many goals to be auto promotion imo. I don't fancy us in the play offs as we can't  beat anyone  any good. I hope I'm wrong but I think we are going to fall a little short 😞

Season over then. Hope I'm wrong 🤔🙃🤣💛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Season over then. Hope I'm wrong 🤔🙃🤣💛

So do I. The youngsters have done us proud but for me we're just falling a little short in getting those all important wins. We'll see.

Today was a real test of character and we did the important thing - we didn't lose.   A loss would have seen Sheff Utd on equal points with us and us down to third, with West Brom able to equal points with us if they win their game in hand. 

But we drew, we stay ahead of the game, are clear in second and with no-one able to catch us as long as we keep getting results.  That means beating Leeds next week, but that is the beauty of this league - there is always a good challenge ahead, whatever your result on a particular day. 

Fair result today. Those grumbling about not beating any of the top teams should bear in mind that we lost to both WBA and SU at the beginning of the season before we really got going, and have improved on that in the return games fielding the least experienced back line in the division and a second string midfield pair in front of them. At full strength we are perfectly capable of beating whoever we need to if it comes to the playoffs. 

Would really like to see a back three of Hanley, Godfrey and Zimmerman next week, has to be worth giving it a go

I think it would be a bit daft to change what we've done all season just because we drew at home to another top six club.

I reckon if Hanley comes in it would be for Zimmermann and if Klose came back it would be for Godfrey. The energy of Aarons and Lewis is totally suited to a back four. 

It's served us well.

• Like 1

No team is perfect. man City are not top of the PL so no doubt their fans will be having a whinge about something.

Just enjoy the season, its been brilliant so far and we are playing some of the best football i have ever seen us play in 50 odd years.

I was initially disappointed with only a point after leading twice but it’s kept them 3 points behind us and I see no reason why we can’t get a result at Leeds next week, after that the fixtures on paper are easier. It’s important to remember that the most enjoyable part of being in the Premier League for clubs like ours is the Championship season when promoted. Enjoy it and on to the next game, there’s plenty of twists left in the season as yet

Edited by JF

4 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Fair result today. Those grumbling about not beating any of the top teams should bear in mind that we lost to both WBA and SU at the beginning of the season before we really got going, and have improved on that in the return games fielding the least experienced back line in the division and a second string midfield pair in front of them. At full strength we are perfectly capable of beating whoever we need to if it comes to the playoffs. 

I like this,  all the whinging on here, picking fault in what is a perfectly acceptable result.  Criticism of Farke, Buendia, Zimmerman, the list goes on yet despite stellar performances all over the pitch this season, there's almost an air of entitlement creeping in.