Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Don't get this not bothered about FA cup

I think most of this "magic of the cup" stuff is media driven. Listening to 5 live after the game they were pushing the same old nonsense about how players and fans would choose winning the FA cup over promotion if only the mean old money people running the clubs would let them. Which is cobblers of course, because it's been nearly 40 years since anyone outside the top division won the FA cup and with the odd exception it's always one of the big names that wins it.

The reality is that we have a much better chance of promotion than we do of winning the FA cup, so if it's a choice between promotion or a couple of extra games before going out in the 5th round, I think I know which most of us would choose.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, unique said:

The FA Cup has been a procession for one of the top six clubs these past thirty years, with it being won by one of them for all but three of those years - and Everton were one of the other winners.

The finals themselves generally lack excitement, and are nowhere near as entertaining as the play-off finals, no matter which division.

I would argue the League Cup, or whatever it is called, has a superior format to the FA Cup, and is now comfortably it’s equal.

Agreed, the Leage Cup is more exciting in my view purely because we don't have that nonsense of a replay. It's all decided on the night.

The other issue is European competition taking off. In the good old days you had to win the league or the European Cup to qualify and it was a straight knockout competition. Now half the EPL seems to be involved in European competition with 1 game a fortnight.

Would think the team from 59  are turning in their graves regarding todays overpaid, overrated footballers who cannot manage to play a couple of games in 7 days,  The football from the past where 42 games was normal plus cup games was accepted also the Reserve League players  played the same number of games every Saturday.

Sky has spoiled football with the money being thrown at todays game and the fan is the one paying for it.

Sat in the Main Stand yesterday, NCFC should be ashamed of the facilities being offered under that stand where 5 minutes queue to pee and an unbelievable wait for overpriced food

47 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I think most of this "magic of the cup" stuff is media driven. Listening to 5 live after the game they were pushing the same old nonsense about how players and fans would choose winning the FA cup over promotion if only the mean old money people running the clubs would let them. Which is cobblers of course, because it's been nearly 40 years since anyone outside the top division won the FA cup and with the odd exception it's always one of the big names that wins it.

The reality is that we have a much better chance of promotion than we do of winning the FA cup, so if it's a choice between promotion or a couple of extra games before going out in the 5th round, I think I know which most of us would choose.

I’d take winning the fa cup over promotion. We’ll get promoted (and relegated) again in the future no doubt, how many times will we win an FA cup? 

The problem though is that, as mentioned by others, the big boys actually do take it fairly seriously and the majority of the teams in the country have virtually no chance of winning it.

If we got to the semi final, we wouldn’t put a second string side out to ‘focus on the league’... but given that the chances of getting to even a semi final are slim, the league takes priority. 

• Like 1

Great to see the little clubs have their moment of glory, but Newport, Oldham, Barnet etc aren't going to win the cup. For us there is a bigger picture and a much more achievable  prize.

I am of 'mature' years, so the magic of the FA Cup was instilled in me, years ago and it would be awesome to see Norwich win the FA Cup one day but these days, because of factors already described, the only excitement I get from it these days, is to see the draw being made. Once that programme has finished, my interest rapidly diminishes.

I enjoyed the game yesterday although it was strange not really caring too much when we conceded at the death.

I enjoyed Newport v Leicester on TV today. 

I enjoyed both games against Chelsea last season.

Maybe the FA Cup in making a comeback!

Yesterday offered something important to our promotion prospects, the chance to halt the sequence of self-inflicted draws and losses and get a completely deserved W on the results chart. Remember how the win at Cardiff performed a similar role earlier in the season? DF clearly set out to win the game. Hanley's stupidity let his manager and squad mates down.

It’s great if you support the underdog, if we’d have beaten a premier league team everyone would be saying how great it is. For me it stopped being special when semi finals became permanently staged at Wembley, there are plenty of big venues available now, don’t know why they can’t be used.

1 minute ago, westcoastcanary said:

Hanley's stupidity let his manager and squad mates down.

The lad mis-timed a tackle, he didn't set out to get sent off.

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

The lad mis-timed a tackle, he didn't set out to get sent off.

Not simply a mis-timed tackle; a foolishly mis-timed tackle resulting from thoughtless misjudgement of the situation and its potential consequences.  

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is there such a thing as expected red cards ? 😉

There was in the day of the Doc...

Not interested in the FA Cup,  we've more important fish to fry. If we go up this year, how many will be wringing their hands at going out in the third round. So many results over the weekend showed that the Competition has become just a distraction that it's safe to say that we're not the only ones with more important things to focus on. 

2 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Not simply a mis-timed tackle; a foolishly mis-timed tackle resulting from thoughtless misjudgement of the situation and its potential consequences.  

The manner of how the tackle was mis-timed is irrelevant as the writer has selected an adjective based on his opinion. To vilify Hanley over it seems pointless, I'm sure as soon as he knew it wasn't his finest piece of work he regretted it. I'd go as far as calling the tackle rash, and no further.

I have similar feelings (diminishing interest) towards the European competitions. I loved the old 2 legged games, in each round. No group games,. etc. Great nights will all the drama focused on the two games, and not 6, and then the subsequent rounds. Money has ruined these occasions for the masses. Yep, agree with the semi finals at Wembley watering down the significance and 'special' feel of the FA Cup. 

Obviously we have only had glimpses of success in the FA Cup, so my opinions are not seen through green and yellow specs, just a hankering for the old 'feelings', but then again, I know one or two on here would like the return of some 'feelings' from yesteryear..................

15 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I have similar feelings (diminishing interest) towards the European competitions. I loved the old 2 legged games, in each round. No group games,. etc. Great nights will all the drama focused on the two games, and not 6, and then the subsequent rounds. Money has ruined these occasions for the masses. Yep, agree with the semi finals at Wembley watering down the significance and 'special' feel of the FA Cup. 

Obviously we have only had glimpses of success in the FA Cup, so my opinions are not seen through green and yellow specs, just a hankering for the old 'feelings', but then again, I know one or two on here would like the return of some 'feelings' from yesteryear..................

Yep, magic gone for me too, wasn't in the slightest disappointed we went out yesterday.

42 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

The manner of how the tackle was mis-timed is irrelevant as the writer has selected an adjective based on his opinion. To vilify Hanley over it seems pointless, I'm sure as soon as he knew it wasn't his finest piece of work he regretted it. I'd go as far as calling the tackle rash, and no further.

"Rash" meaning: "displaying or proceeding from a lack of careful consideration of the possible consequences of an action". My exact words: "resulting from thoughtless misjudgement of the situation and its potential consequences".  

My criticism of Hanley has a perfectly serious foundation, which is that success in competitive sport hinges on very small margins; it's not a question of being 50%, 20% or even 5% better than the opposition, but rather of being 0.1%, 0.15% or 0.2% better in as many ways as possible. In that context, clear-headedness and the ability to draw back from a rash challenge is a hugely valuable asset, not something the patent absence of which should be excused.

Not a satisfactory situation. 23000 people make the effort to turn up on a cold Saturday night, including many youngsters, but it was clear the Club were not bothered about the result. i.e. line up and considerable delay in introducing our two in form strikers. To be fair the players on the pitch showed plenty of endeavour and it provided a good opportunity to judge some "reserves". But there was a complete lack of atmosphere from the home crowd. The football authorities need to take a complete review, but we live in a world of money first, entertainment second.

Hanley made a rash decision, his tackle was badly mistimed, he has been out for months, it happens particularly when you are not match fit, lets not overdo the chastisement.

Most will be taking positives from yesterday.

1 minute ago, westcoastcanary said:

"Rash" meaning: "displaying or proceeding from a lack of careful consideration of the possible consequences of an action". My exact words: "resulting from thoughtless misjudgement of the situation and its potential consequences".  

My criticism of Hanley has a perfectly serious foundation, which is that success in competitive sport hinges on very small margins; it's not a question of being 50%, 20% or even 5% better than the opposition, but rather of being 0.1%, 0.15% or 0.2% better in as many ways as possible. In that context, clear-headedness and the ability to draw back from a rash challenge is a hugely valuable asset, not something the patent absence of which should be excused.

Unfortunately footballers are not mechanical or robotic, and therefore not entirely predictable, I refer you back to your vilification  of  Hanley. 

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Hanley's stupidity let his manager and squad mates down.

His duty as a defender is to prevent the opposing teams attckers don't get to shoot on goal or assist the same, jeez, it's not like Hanley has bad disciplinary record, some context is should be applied.

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hanley made a rash decision, his tackle was badly mistimed, he has been out for months, it happens particularly when you are not match fit, lets not overdo the chastisement.

Most will be taking positives from yesterday.

Indeed VW

2 hours ago, vos said:

Not a satisfactory situation. 23000 people make the effort to turn up on a cold Saturday night, including many youngsters, but it was clear the Club were not bothered about the result. i.e. line up and considerable delay in introducing our two in form strikers. To be fair the players on the pitch showed plenty of endeavour and it provided a good opportunity to judge some "reserves". But there was a complete lack of atmosphere from the home crowd. The football authorities need to take a complete review, but we live in a world of money first, entertainment second.

If Man City who have played 11 games since Dec 1st can put out a team who want to  in the FA Cup then surely we should have at least brought on the subs much earlier.

4 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Unfortunately footballers are not mechanical or robotic, and therefore not entirely predictable

Not being robots implies, among other things, having or lacking common sense, thinking clearly or not, making the right decision or the wrong one in given circumstances etc. It also involves a capacity to improve through experience. As for predictability, I'm afraid some people, footballers included, are entirely predictable, as witness how often you see opponents trying to wind a particular player up. Finally, is describing someone as having acted stupidly really vilifying them? I hardly think so. 

When you think about it, it's probably only about 20 or so teams in English football that really have to put the FA Cup on the backburner. 

For the top half of the Championship and the botttom half of the Premier League then the revenue difference between being in the latter rather than the former is just too big to risk against anything. For a comfortable Premier League side that's not in a tight competition to win the Premier League then it's a chance for a bit of silverware though, and for anyone league 1 and below down it's a chance for some relatively big boosts in revenue.

Maybe we're just unlucky as a club to exist in that 'awkward spot'. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

I'm come to realise I hate going out in cups when fielding weakended teams. Better to lose when your best team is beaten. I am convinced players can handle playing all the games.

I agree Daly the 59 squad would be amazed by the current players ,with all the sophisticated fitness equipment,very high wages. ,always guaranteed a good playing surface (remember a very muddy baseball ground at Derby with the ball sticking in the mud!)a lighter ball ,half time vitamins, sweets,energy bars (not half a Orange !) And drinks during the game ,not to mention wearing gloves. they still struggle to manage 2 games a week .with the reserves at least they got playing time every week where the current subs only play now and again so lack playing time , football off the pitch has definitely changed a lot since the 60s -70s ,on the pitch the game has not changed the object is still the same to score more than the opposition.

The FA Cup has had it's day and now is just a nostalgia-fest of Ron Manager cliches and sentimentality. 😉

The plucky, giantkilling, underdogs (insert number) places below the (insert league) giants, from the sleepy town of (insert name) have torn the form book up on their own patch and provided a moneyspinning, fairytale ending to a weekend of FA Cup magic (cue: interview with Chairman telling us how much it means to the town, montage of 'giantkilling goals' since 1950 on muddy pitches, pitch invasions and people wearing oversized rosettes).

Apples

16 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

The FA Cup has had it's day and now is just a nostalgia-fest of Ron Manager cliches and sentimentality. 😉

The plucky, giantkilling, underdogs (insert number) places below the (insert league) giants, from the sleepy town of (insert name) have torn the form book up on their own patch and provided a moneyspinning, fairytale ending to a weekend of FA Cup magic (cue: interview with Chairman telling us how much it means to the town, montage of 'giantkilling goals' since 1950 on muddy pitches, pitch invasions and people wearing oversized rosettes).

Apples

Indeed.

Enjoyed seeing Newport win, but watching Shearer and Wright afterwards was cringeworthy, gushing patronising from AS in particular.

Edited by lake district canary