Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

I’m sure some of you are keenly waiting to go to your first gig in a long time, on Wednesday I went to the Arts Centre as Seasick Steve was playing. It was the venues first night since the first lockdown, the Arts Centre director made a short but slightly emotional speech about how good it was to have people back.

Masks were worn as you entered the building but quickly put into pockets as it was a hot night and wearing one felt pretty uncomfortable. Seasick Steve hadn’t performed live since April 2019 but you wouldn’t have known and it was great to have some live music again. A word on his drummer who is a cross between Gandalf and Animal from the muppets 😁

I did a Covid test on the day and another one yesterday, both negative, so if anyone is thinking about going to a concert I’d say just go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Wet Leg - Chaise Longue, getting played to death on BBC 6 music. 

Apples

Yes it's a great tune but yes I am going to be sick of it by August. 😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Yes it's a great tune but yes I am going to be sick of it by August.

It's like musical crystal meth...I don't want to keep listening to it, but I just can't stop and want more. 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

It's like musical crystal meth...I don't want to keep listening to it, but I just can't stop and want more. 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Apples

That made me find it just find out what it was like ! Sounds modern and retro at the same time but yeah, I don’t want to hear it too many times 😁

• Haha 1

Kate Bush 63 today. Gilmour pushed her career at the outset I believe. 

And to give this a Norwich City association 😅 this clip has an amusing retro feel to it...

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like bits of John Martyn but some of it misses me completely. Might be worth sticking that or his previous album in your collection though Frank.

This is a band that takes a few listens to to get into. But worth the effort imo.

On 28/07/2021 at 10:24, Mr Apples said:

Wet Leg - Chaise Longue, getting played to death on BBC 6 music. 

Apples

This

On 28/07/2021 at 13:10, Herman said:

Yes it's a great tune but yes I am going to be sick of it by August. 😀

And this.

Reminds me of Dry Cleaning, who I like, but can’t help thinking can only have a short shelf life before it comes too samey.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2021 at 19:56, Midlands Yellow said:

Quite possibly in my top ten tunes ever.

13 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just heard this for the first time on Guy Garvey From the Vaults which is a good show on sky arts

If you think you might like John Martyn, Bless the Weather and Solid Air are the two albums to go for. If you don’t know Nick Drake, try him too, not that similar but still folky and I always associate the two of them because I discovered them both on a giveaway CD from Q magazine.

John Martyn is my “carpe diem” story. Those are both some of my favourite albums, so when he was touring and playing near us, we were thinking of going but just couldn’t get organised to buy tickets. He died a couple of months after. So JFDI!

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 10:09, Nuff Said said:

If you think you might like John Martyn, Bless the Weather and Solid Air are the two albums to go for. If you don’t know Nick Drake, try him too, not that similar but still folky and I always associate the two of them because I discovered them both on a giveaway CD from Q magazine.

John Martyn is my “carpe diem” story. Those are both some of my favourite albums, so when he was touring and playing near us, we were thinking of going but just couldn’t get organised to buy tickets. He died a couple of months after. So JFDI!

I'm a big fan of John Martyn and saw him several times. Nick Drake was his best friend and the track Solid Air was about Drake's mental state. 

Martyn was much more than a folk singer, his unique guitar style was developed by brilliant use of the Echoplex, many of his contemporaries were fans, including Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour, Phil Collins and Levon Helm who all have worked with him on his albums. More recent admirers have been Robert Smith of the Cure and Paul Weller. 

He also did a great version of Glory Box, but my favourite has to be the album One World, working with legendary producer Lee Scatch Perry, bringing back memories of his early days as a session musician on reggae albums where they had the choice of being paid in counterfeit dollars or drugs. Amazing track on this album is Small Hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned the Q cover CD where I discovered John Martyn and Nick Drake. This was on there as well, turned my (uninformed) opinion about Fairport Convention 360 degrees. Another top ten tune, it was played by Cerys Matthew’s on her 6 Music show last week:

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 20:34, Herman said:

Portishead doing an Abba cover in their style.

I love this version- first heard it on the soundtrack to the fil 'High Rise' and haven't been able to find it anywhere other than YouTube.

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

The band that had the unforgettable pop riffs

Unforgettable haircuts too.

As the football season is nearly upon us again, I will post up some football themed songs 

I've heard it said that New Orders "World in Motion" is the best football song. It's good, but for me it's not even the best football song of Italia 90.....

4 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

As the football season is nearly upon us again, I will post up some football themed songs 

I've heard it said that New Orders "World in Motion" is the best football song. It's good, but for me it's not even the best football song of Italia 90.....

Great shout! I'll chuck this one into the mix:

• Like 1