Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Listening to Tom Verlaine this week and a big fan of his guitar work. This song is almost 'led' by the guitar.

To complement the above a more extraverted song:

Talking of legendary guitarists this was on Radio 3 the other. Pat Metheny with Steve Reich and the Kronos Quartet. (I can't remember if this has been up before, apologies if so.)

• Like 1

Any Philip Glass fans? Love the alto sax by Amy Dickson. Discovered her by chance probably on R3 or Scala.

• Like 1

Well having watched Swans qualify I tentatively peer at Eurovision to see German entry singing in English with a big finger. 
What’s gorn on?

Have we been yet?

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Any Philip Glass fans? Love the alto sax by Amy Dickson. Discovered her by chance probably on R3 or Scala.

There's a thing. Back in 2009 at the Norfolk and Norwich Festival they had soprano Dawn (Gorecki's Third) Upshaw in the Anglican cathedral on the Thursday and long-legged German cabaret chantoozy Ute Lemper (not quite the really real thing to my mind, but there...) on the Saturday, and since I was going to be back in the city I thought I might as well take in Philip Glass on the Friday. And of course I was spellbound by just him at the piano, and it was the highlight of the three concerts.

(I should add that the Upshaw concert clashed with the now renowned of folk memory St Andrew's Hall 'Sack everyone ever connected with Norwich City' meeting chaired by John Tilson, which is why I was not there to back the bloodbath).

Anyway, this is How It Shone, by Pierce Turner, which is a touch repetitive for three minutes but then takes off with a piano and string arrangement by John Tilson. No, sorry. Odd glitch in the system there. By Philip Glass. There is a live version of Glass playing with Turner, but this album track gets the emotional thump of the switch much better:

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

Love this ,,,,thanks

Edited by Van wink

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There's a thing. Back in 2009 at the Norfolk and Norwich Festival they had soprano Dawn (Gorecki's Third) Upshaw in the Anglican cathedral on the Thursday and long-legged German cabaret chantoozy Ute Lemper (not quite the really real thing to my mind, but there...) on the Saturday, and since I was going to be back in the city I thought I might as well take in Philip Glass on the Friday. And of course I was spellbound by just him at the piano, and it was the highlight of the three concerts.

(I should add that the Upshaw concert clashed with the now renowned of folk memory St Andrew's Hall 'Sack everyone ever connected with Norwich City' meeting chaired by John Tilson, which is why I was not there to back the bloodbath).

Anyway, this is How It Shone, by Pierce Turner, which is a touch repetitive for three minutes but then takes off with a piano and string arrangement by John Tilson. No, sorry. Odd glitch in the system there. By Philip Glass. There is a live version of Glass playing with Turner, but this album track gets the emotional thump of the switch much better:

Liked the underlying track to this. You're lucky in seeing him live. What a privilege. I'm relatively late to him only listening to his works  really in the last 5 years or so. (That's been the joy of this thread to hear so many diverse offerings and you look them up, then discover more artists, many you'd never find yourself).

One of my favourites (so far) is this piece (which someone stated is "like a gentle tide washing over you"). I chose this version because of the strength and quality of those bass notes!

• Like 1

Reading about Bob Dylan's 80th birthday reminded me that he may be the most famous music star still alive? Paul McCartney perhaps?

I'm sure there are big Dylan fans here who can suggest their most favourite songs?

Whilst not a massive fan, I think his work is quite amazing and the world would be far the less without his poetry and political observation.

Two pieces here for his birthday. The first is poetry that cuts through you. It's so dark and yet a hopeful song too? As relevant today as when he wrote as such a young man.

And I love the lyrics on this next one ..."but power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is" as well as the drama and uneasy atmosphere he creates in his piano. A deep echo of American culture I think this song. If I hear it on the radio I have to sit down and just listen and it somehow takes me away to some place. Quite astonishing for a song to do that.

A selection of albums enjoyed by this tubby multi-instrumentalist, composer and singer (which makes my opinion no more valid than anyone elses)

Lateralus - TOOL

Eat The Elephant - A Perfect Circle

The Sunset Tree - The Mountain Goats

Deadwing - Porcupine Tree

Hand Cannot Erase - Steven Wilson

Existential Reckoning - Puscifer

In Rainbows - Radiohead

Get To Heaven - Everything Everything

Absolution - Muse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Reading about Bob Dylan's 80th birthday reminded me that he may be the most famous music star still alive? Paul McCartney perhaps?

I'm sure there are big Dylan fans here who can suggest their most favourite songs?

Whilst not a massive fan, I think his work is quite amazing and the world would be far the less without his poetry and political observation.

Two pieces here for his birthday. The first is poetry that cuts through you. It's so dark and yet a hopeful song too? As relevant today as when he wrote as such a young man.

And I love the lyrics on this next one ..."but power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is" as well as the drama and uneasy atmosphere he creates in his piano. A deep echo of American culture I think this song. If I hear it on the radio I have to sit down and just listen and it somehow takes me away to some place. Quite astonishing for a song to do that.

I only know the first six albums, but Dylan is the greatest single star of postwar popular music. The Beatles are up there in the stratosphere with him, of course. No one else.

Hard Rain is as good as it gets. I remember decades ago Bernard Levin (no particular fan of pop music) described it admiringly as a vision of the Apocalypse. If I had to pick another, equally poetic, then:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FatCanary said:

A selection of albums enjoyed by this tubby multi-instrumentalist, composer and singer (which makes my opinion no more valid than anyone elses)

Lateralus - TOOL

Eat The Elephant - A Perfect Circle

The Sunset Tree - The Mountain Goats

Deadwing - Porcupine Tree

Hand Cannot Erase - Steven Wilson

Existential Reckoning - Puscifer

In Rainbows - Radiohead

Get To Heaven - Everything Everything

Absolution - Muse

Like your style FC!

I've been listening to those in the list I don't know and a longer list to look at.

I could name possibly 20+ Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson songs as favourites. Your two are good choices - love the major 7 chord in Deadwing and the drumming and time signature of HCE is lovely. As for Everything Everything (like Steven Wilson), I think I've posted a couple of Youtube clips in this thread last year and again I'm a big fan (loved the more recent live version of In Birdsong for instance). What a voice. Anyway, cheers for this list. Do feel free to post any youtube songs here if you ever feel like it. 

On 22/05/2021 at 22:52, Van wink said:

Thanks for this VW. I came across her last year (there was a programme on SC4 Cymry ar Gynfas) where local artists get to meet someone famous, talk with them and then paint a portrait. Just half an hour or so but quite a neat format. Music and art together in a programme. Just the job for the likes of me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

Like your style FC!

I've been listening to those in the list I don't know and a longer list to look at.

I could name possibly 20+ Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson songs as favourites. Your two are good choices - love the major 7 chord in Deadwing and the drumming and time signature of HCE is lovely. As for Everything Everything (like Steven Wilson), I think I've posted a couple of Youtube clips in this thread last year and again I'm a big fan (loved the more recent live version of In Birdsong for instance). What a voice. Anyway, cheers for this list. Do feel free to post any youtube songs here if you ever feel like it. 

Its lovely to find another PT/SW fan. I think it is fair to say whether you like Wilson's style or not he is such a good producer that his music just sounds better than anything else. And yes, Jonathan Higgs is a beast. Met him at the A Fever Dream album launch party in Leeds and as a vocalist myself asked him how he does it and he basically implied that he is magic, I'm inclined to agree. Really nice bunch of guys though, all of EE. I just love music with thought provoking content and that is reflected in what I try to write and record myself 🙂

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

Like your style FC!

Oh, and while I do love the title tracks themselves I was picking out Deadwing and HCE as best albums as a whole I think they are most representative of how wonderful a composer and producer Mr Wilson is. Was meant to be seeing him on the Future Bites tour last September in Nottingham, but, Covid 😞 I did get to see PT at their last ever gig at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010 though. Parts of my brain are still in there I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

Oh, and while I do love the title tracks themselves I was picking out Deadwing and HCE as best albums as a whole I think they are most representative of how wonderful a composer and producer Mr Wilson is. Was meant to be seeing him on the Future Bites tour last September in Nottingham, but, Covid 😞 I did get to see PT at their last ever gig at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010 though. Parts of my brain are still in there I think

I've been watching these. Steven Wilson is a genius. Had to laugh that he doesn't see himself as a guitarist! An incredible songwriter.

• Like 1

A neat guitar track as the interesting content in a Crowded House sandwich: