Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 16/06/2021 at 22:30, Herman said:

A great cover of a Gang Of Four track.

Liked the Gang of Four and the sheer attack of the rhythm guitar. Had the album once but think it's one I lent and didn't get back!

Something mellower here. Never thought I would like a euphonium so much😄. Such a soft and subtle instrument in this well known piece.

Original Purcell posted just after this brass version.

Not out 'til September on his next Album.🦊 and a decent message too!

Edited by Foxy2600
Double Image
  • Like 1

Brings back a memory. Seen Eric Bibb over 20 years ago at Cambridge Folk. He was a good blues player but I never followed up on him. Cheers.👍

• Thanks 1

On 02/07/2021 at 16:03, sonyc said:

Liked the Gang of Four and the sheer attack of the rhythm guitar. Had the album once but think it's one I lent and didn't get back!

I’ve still got the album and inner sleeve with the cowboy and Indian, no idea what happened to the cover ! 

13 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve still got the album and inner sleeve with the cowboy and Indian, no idea what happened to the cover ! 

Least you've got the important bit 🙂.... though with an album cover, (and I think it's a strange phenomenon) you really feel a closer connection with the artist, the band. That's the joy of an LP for me. Have never gazed on a CD really for more than a minute. But album covers!....I recall just looking at many for a long time. A bit weird but I doubt I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Least you've got the important bit 🙂.... though with an album cover, (and I think it's a strange phenomenon) you really feel a closer connection with the artist, the band. That's the joy of an LP for me. Have never gazed on a CD really for more than a minute. But album covers!....I recall just looking at many for a long time. A bit weird but I doubt I'm not the only one.

Yeah, looking at the artwork and  reading all the small print on the back and inner sleeve is great isn’t it ? Lots of information there 

• Like 1

Discovered this YouTube channel that essentially arranges songs / tunes into something more akin to an epic soundtrack and they have a selection of national anthems that got this treatment.

Most have turned out well IMO - they even managed to get the Scottish one to work very well without bagpipes, which is an achievement. This one was really tidy.

Anthems then @TheGunnShow(there was a brief discussion on the football side of the forum).

A selection of three here and difficult to choose versions but chose ones with the lyrics (Cerys Matthews included as an extra its a personal favourite and others may like her voice too). 

Extra version:

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

For some reason I’m starting to appreciate Oasis after all these years. Perhaps it’s because there hasn’t been a band that has been quite this “ common mans” spokesman for a while,  I don’t know. I still think there’s more than a bit of a Beatles tribute band in them but it has to be said that Noel wrote a bunch of anthems didn’t he ?

22 hours ago, sonyc said:

Anthems then @TheGunnShow(there was a brief discussion on the football side of the forum).

A selection of three here and difficult to choose versions but chose ones with the lyrics (Cerys Matthews included as an extra its a personal favourite and others may like her voice too). 

Extra version:

Got that version of Calon Lan on my laptop - it was in a recording with the Fron Male Voice Choir. Their version of Men of Harlech is one of my all-time favourite songs, full stop.

So for tonight - Robert Glasper 

Big Girl Body..... 11 versions

And any Robert Glasper with Laylah Hathaway.....

and Derrick Hodge On Bass 

• Like 1

Just watching a programme about Richie Blackmore. Bit of a helmet but he sure can play. Super noodling at 4 minutes.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

Just watching Gary Clark Junior - on the beach in Cayman.... Fu**ng long wait 🤣 

but superb in the execution of playing a Gibson SG

One of the comments on this YouTube upload is "when the switchboard operator for god puts you on hold"! In fact the whole comments section is worth a look.

Quite an extraordinary piece I which seems to match a mood somehow. Only just been made aware of its existence.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Don’t know if any of you heard of revive live, artists doing special concerts at small venues to support the independent venue trust after Covid. I was very quick last night and have managed to get tickets for Tom Jones at Cambridge Junction ( it’s about the size of the waterfront) and Seasick Steve at Norwich Arts Centre, I’m very excited ! 

• Like 3

Radio 3 coming up trumps again. Sit in your garden, cold beer and this playing......👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Radio 3 coming up trumps again. Sit in your garden, cold beer and this playing......👍

Thank goodness for R3. Source of this trippy track not long ago too. Builds into something hypnotic.

• Thanks 1

I've missed most of this but it was a calming listen this morning.

And another one. When he mentioned the title I was expecting a bit of twee trad-jazz but it is far from it. Hope you like trains.😀

My feed was some nu-jazz and electronica.👍

Top 30 Fast Show Jazz Club GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

Those who found TotallyTettey's videos on social media probably already know this one:

Edited by TheGunnShow