Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

57 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve got a new toy 😁 loads of fun, you’re never too old to learn something new

30D866DB-DC0D-47E4-AD0A-5D2856392464.jpeg

Nice one FF. Perhaps you've played before or a new pursuit? At least with these you won't be too loud! Certainly you can play along to some of those tunes you've posted here.

I've decided to try a new musical instrument too with a clarinet and wanted to try and play some jazz type vibes (🎷🤣) by learning via YouTube. Only just got a secondhand one so will wait and see if can learn something I've never tried before 

I’ve never played before but have always wanted to give it a go. It’s great fun to plug in my phone and play along to a playlist and follow lessons On YouTube. Mrs Frank likes the fact that I can play along and she can’t hear that much, plus I do have a neighbour to think of. Jazz clarinet sounds cool by the way.

Couple here that inspired me a bit! I know it will be very basic for me but those sounds are something to aspire to.

• Like 1

New song from Rammstein's frontman, Till Lindemann on his solo project. Video was a bit controversial as it was seen as a bit gory.

The childfree guy in me likes the title but doesn't entirely like the chorus. Tune's a cracker though.

I enjoyed all those KG - the Larson song and video tribute reminds me so much of the ones about Laura Nyro. Both of these women died too young.

Liked that Gilmore version too FF. Not heard that version. 👍

A Thomas Dolby selection here. Had never heard this second song until today (hence reminded me to share a bit of Dolby)...it's so haunting and almost not like him (with Eddie Reader). Last one jumps right back to the 80s!

Edit: Reading up about the last song explains a lot about the lyrics and his personal connection (his uncle's death). Amazing what you learn. Always been one of a few favourite songs of his.

Edited by sonyc

One of my favourite bands MUSE have reworked their favourite album of mine Origin of Symmetry, and if the two released tracks are anything to go by, it’s gonna be awesome 

• Like 1

If you have a watch again service etc. Muse Live from Rome was on Sky Arts last night. (And a bit on a Download special.)

I have that on DVD somewhere - you have to say they are very polished and put on a very entertaining show. 
I do prefer the older stuff though...

I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

@FenwayFrank

I’ve got an 80’s vintage Premier kit in the garage that I will get round to setting up again and playing along (badly) to the Lurkers and the Ramones etc 😃

Ain't got a clue by the Lurkers 😀 I think I've still got a copy somewhere in a box 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Rat Scabies I reckon 😃

I must try drumming along to New Rose 😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I must try drumming along to New Rose 😀

Out of likes (how stupid) 

Good choice. That or SingalongaScabies/Stab Your Back 😂

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2021 at 19:20, sonyc said:

Nice one FF. Perhaps you've played before or a new pursuit? At least with these you won't be too loud! Certainly you can play along to some of those tunes you've posted here.

I've decided to try a new musical instrument too with a clarinet and wanted to try and play some jazz type vibes (🎷🤣) by learning via YouTube. Only just got a secondhand one so will wait and see if can learn something I've never tried before 

I sold my bass guitar as I just didn't have the dexterity anymore and took up the saxophone. Was going well until Branford Marsalis said it takes about four years to play the reed properly let alone knock a tune out.

And the dog didn't appreciate my playing either. 

But your mention of the clarinet is going to inspire me to continue. Probably more soulful than spiralling jazz.

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I sold my bass guitar as I just didn't have the dexterity anymore and took up the saxophone. Was going well until Branford Marsalis said it takes about four years to play the reed properly let alone knock a tune out.

And the dog didn't appreciate my playing either. 

But your mention of the clarinet is going to inspire me to continue. Probably more soulful than spiralling jazz.

Good stuff KG. I think playing an instrument is a great thing and the effort (like anything in life) is never a waste of time.

I still have a bass, guitars (couple of electric and acoustics), a drum machine and an old keyboard. I can 'play' all of those but I'm mostly a jack of all trades and certainly master of none! My main interest has always been writing tunes which I used to do a lot up to when our first was born. Loads of tapes in boxes. So, I've never tried to be really proficient but to play enough to be able to create something new.

I like so much music and am really a fan of other artists  because I appreciate the sheer creativity in making it. When in bands for instance, the (real) bassist would write something I never could. I love all.of that. 

Did you used to play in a band too? Bass?

I'm glad you're still motivated at playing sax. That sounds a difficult instrument? 

Anyway heard this by chance yesterday and love the bass in it. Disco, funk, rap all in one. Debbie Harry is great in this video too!

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

Good stuff KG. I think playing an instrument is a great thing and the effort (like anything in life) is never a waste of time.

I still have a bass, guitars (couple of electric and acoustics), a drum machine and an old keyboard. I can 'play' all of those but I'm mostly a jack of all trades and certainly master of none! My main interest has always been writing tunes which I used to do a lot up to when our first was born. Loads of tapes in boxes. So, I've never tried to be really proficient but to play enough to be able to create something new.

I like so much music and am really a fan of other artists  because I appreciate the sheer creativity in making it. When in bands for instance, the (real) bassist would write something I never could. I love all.of that. 

Did you used to play in a band too? Bass?

I'm glad you're still motivated at playing sax. That sounds a difficult instrument? 

Anyway heard this by chance yesterday and love the bass in it. Disco, funk, rap all in one. Debbie Harry is great in this video too!

Only ever sang in public Sonyc. Not confident enough to let anyone down in a band. I used to take my Grandson who is an excellent guitarist to Jam sessions at the local and he was so confident at twelve to jam with adults.

I have always loved the saxophone and Stan Getz smooth creamy style appealed to me at an early age. But its use with soul bands had its greatest appeal as it enhanced the music so much. Then I got into BS&T and Chicago and the more jazz style of playing. And the first time I managed to consistently breathe and blow to play it properly was far more satisfying than a guitar.

• Like 2

I’ve not been on this thread for a while, but wanted to share this. Cerys Matthews played it on 6Music a couple of weeks ago and it stuck in my head. Part of what struck me is that the song lyrics are in a very upfront Christian “praise the lord, shine your light on me” vein and I’m a lifelong confirmed atheist. I wrestled with how I felt about enjoying the music while finding the lyrics very much at odds with my personal values. I then read the backstory to her album, which is all in the same style.   Her father and mother-in-law were killed in a head -on collision with a drunk driver. She already had a long career in a band with her brother but stopped writing music until she spent some time in a remote desert monastery, when she started writing again what became this album. Would I feel the same about it if it was “ooh baby I love you” pop music and she wrote it in a studio in 10 minutes? Good question I think.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’ve not been on this thread for a while, but wanted to share this. Cerys Matthews played it on 6Music a couple of weeks ago and it stuck in my head. Part of what struck me is that the song lyrics are in a very upfront Christian “praise the lord, shine your light on me” vein and I’m a lifelong confirmed atheist. I wrestled with how I felt about enjoying the music while finding the lyrics very much at odds with my personal values. I then read the backstory to her album, which is all in the same style.   Her father and mother-in-law were killed in a head -on collision with a drunk driver. She already had a long career in a band with her brother but stopped writing music until she spent some time in a remote desert monastery, when she started writing again what became this album. Would I feel the same about it if it was “ooh baby I love you” pop music and she wrote it in a studio in 10 minutes? Good question I think.

Really interesting back story. I've watched Cerys on SC4 and YouTube on some of her musical travelogs (worth a view) and she does sing quite a few religious songs...like Bread of Heaven (Cwm Rhondda) which gives me a lump in my throat and even watery eyes. I'm not religious either. But it's the power of the feeling. Perhaps that is what you're getting from this Natalie?

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

Really interesting back story. I've watched Cerys on SC4 and YouTube on some of her musical travelogs (worth a view) and she does sing quite a few religious songs...like Bread of Heaven (Cwm Rhondda) which gives me a lump in my throat and even watery eyes. I'm not religious either. But it's the power of the feeling. Perhaps that is what you're getting from this Natalie?

I think it’s a reasonably catchy pop tune, with a slightly odd singing style, and I’ve always been a bit of a sucker for the falsetto-ish singers. The Christian angle and the mystical back-story give it a bit of a weird angle, and weird is generally a good thing (?).

Talking of falsetto singing (ok, high at least), I love this. These guys have made an effort . Clothes and a dance too.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 21:48, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The Boo Radleys were one of the loudest bands I've ever seen when I saw them support The Wedding Present in London in 1990

Supergrass gave me tinnitus 😁