Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

You may like early Teenage Fanclub. Large Byrds influence in their music. The Killers and Kings of Leon early works have that definite American sound of the bands you mention. And maybe Arcade Fire.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I enjoy The Band, Creedence and The Byrds. Any suggestions for widening my listening greatly appreciated 

Haven’t listened to anything by Teenage Fanclub myself, definite hint of the Byrds in this

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 16:12, Herman said:

You may like early Teenage Fanclub. Large Byrds influence in their music. The Killers and Kings of Leon early works have that definite American sound of the bands you mention. And maybe Arcade Fire.

Loving Teenage FA club thanks. My kids introduced me to Kings of Leon some time ago. 

Anyone who shares my taste in music may like a Scottish band called The Pearlfishers

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Anyone who shares my taste in music may like a Scottish band called The Pearlfishers

Good taste Dylanisa..👍👍👍Have most albums. Favourite album is "Up with the Larks" I think - so many interesting and heart rending songs. Have followed David Scott for many years.

Interesting that he is a big Todd Rundgren fan (think you might have mentioned you liked his work? Apologies if I have mis-remembered. Rundgren has arguably been the biggest musical influence in my life so I like reading about artists who reference him). 

Trying to think of some other ideas to look up for you and you would probably like a good deal of the output of The Go-Betweens, some of The House of Love and maybe you'd like Everything Everything...but maybe you know these already. It's Immaterial albums are interesting too (esp "Life's Hard and then you die"...and the more unusual "Song" after which their record label pulled support). 

Edited by sonyc

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

Good taste Dylanisa..👍👍👍Have most albums. Favourite album is "Up with the Larks" I think - so many interesting and heart rending songs. Have followed David Scott for many years.

Interesting that he is a big Todd Rundgren fan (think you might have mentioned you liked his work? Apologies if I have mis-remembered. Rundgren has arguably been the biggest musical influence in my life so I like reading about artists who reference him). 

Trying to think of some other ideas to look up for you and you would probably like a good deal of the output of The Go-Betweens, some of The House of Love and maybe you'd like Everything Everything...but maybe you know these already. It's Immaterial albums are interesting too (esp "Life's Hard and then you die"...and the more unusual "Song" after which their record label pulled support). 

Up with the Larks is indeed beautiful. Spotify has already found me the others you mention. 

I saw Todd Rungren in 1976! 

In the 80s a friend persuaded me to drive over to Hull of all places on a foggy November evening to see this fella. The venue and room was tiny (probably less than 50 people there?) and we were sat maybe 8 feet from him. 

Since read he was listed as being in the top 3 world's best guitarists (at one time). Couple of videos posted here for interest:

On 30/07/2021 at 20:34, FenwayFrank said:

Just heard this for the first time on Guy Garvey From the Vaults which is a good show on sky arts

We’ve finally started digging into From the Vaults, some cracking stuff. Top recommendation Frank!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The first note of the Champ is all it takes and you know it. 

I saw the KPM Allstars play (they did the Champ) in the British Library of all places a couple of years ago. One of my all-time gigs, just brilliant.

• Like 1

Saw the new Halloween film earlier. It's average. Brutal in places. The score was the best part. John carpenter, his kid and another guy mainly using that 70s/80s synth sound. 

I came away deciding I need an 80s synth and drum machine!

The original theme is classic. The new version a bit more intense. 

https://youtu.be/f4KEH8l-0YU

Is there a song that is more 80s than this! The tune stays with you after one listen (bit of one of those earworms)....what strikes me too are the very odd lyrics.

Reached number 6! And apparently is big in Cumbria.

It Bites went on to be an odd band and just listening to some of their stuff they were quite prog like. Certainly interesting.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 21:30, The Raptor said:

Saw the new Halloween film earlier. It's average. Brutal in places. The score was the best part. John carpenter, his kid and another guy mainly using that 70s/80s synth sound. 

I came away deciding I need an 80s synth and drum machine!

The original theme is classic. The new version a bit more intense. 

https://youtu.be/f4KEH8l-0YU

I found myself looking at Yamaha DX7 synths on eBay yesterday. No idea why 😃

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Because they're awesome? If you get one can I borrow it!? Or at least bring the kit round for a jam 😂😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

11 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Because they're awesome? If you get one can I borrow it!? Or at least bring the kit round for a jam 😂😁

Pinkun eighties tribute band !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/05/2021 at 19:00, Herman said:

First concert tickets booked in over a year. Fontaines DC at Ally Pally.👍

First gig since March 20. What a brilliant, tight band and a fantastic gig. Bit weird being surrounded by so many people but soon got used to it.

• Like 3

Paul McCartney had been on the radio a lot this last week. Two favourites here.

Always found the lyric "but it won't be soon enough" very emotional even before the climate change talks have taken up more news. And beautiful to see Linda M too. The military drum at end is just the usual PM touch.

• Like 1