Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Harrison Reed joining on loan

That would actually be an incredibly smart and effective loan considering the way Farke is expected to ask the team to play.Gives 100% all the time, never stops hassling and does pretty much everything that Tettey does, but is more focused and technically gifted.With Vranjic taking the ball playing role and Reed doing the defensive dirty work, our midfield is shaping up nicely.

I would expect that we won''t see much of Tettey, which I''m afraid will not be the greatest lossthe squad is going to be younger, on the way up (or wanting to be anyway) with something to proveI should imagine by the time the first game comes around things will look a whole lot brighter still

Get rid of decent championship players in Dorrans and Howson, and replace them with players more than half on here have never seen..... yet most seem very satisfied and approve.

Blind faith springs to mind.

Anyway cynicism aside, Reed seems decent enough. However, at 22 it seems this season could be make or break for him. Only a handful of appearances for Southampton since coming onto the scene 3 years ago. No previous loan experience either.

I like this signing 22 and a bit stale there.

Looking at some of the reports from when he was 19 they thought he was going to be international quality.

Make or break for him now time to move out and see if he can swim.

The good thing is that this lads strengths are work rate/drive, commitment and breaking up play.....pillars of the champ and something we lost with Bradley Johnson.

Skillful lightweights are more of a risk than "pit bulls" so i am quietly confident.

Blind faith? No way, but the sale of players was inevitable...Mr. Webber anounced it himself.

What did you expect and what can you do about it?

It''s getting really really worrying now we will be lucky to stay in the league at this rate

I know we all have our views but seriously we need to get the pitchforks out and sharpened

@Lincoln, might be a tad bit of blind faith but what I''m loving about this setup is how quickly and out of the blue things seem to be happening.

Compare that to seasons transfer windows before and how discouraging it was.

“I had a conversation with the Head Coach and I could tell his philosophy suited me down to the ground,” Reed told Norwich City TV.

"The last couple of seasons I’ve played as a deep-lying midfielder. I like to get on the ball and keep things ticking over, as well as being aggressive to win it back when we’re out of possession.

So far, i''m finding there is much more of a plan and synchronicity with Webber and Farke. It seems more thought out than signing 54 attacking midfielders, like AN did. Obviously defenders are a priority now. I''m hoping we''ll bring in at least a couple on permanent deals...

Agree with above, encouraging and thoughtful signings compared with some previous buys (Jarvis, Wildschutt etc).

I''m sure there will be one or two signings that don''t work out perfectly, but like the way it''s shaping up.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote the following post at 05/07/2017 9:22 PM:

Get rid of decent championship players in Dorrans and Howson, and replace them with players more than half on here have never seen..... yet most seem very satisfied and approve.

Blind faith springs to mind.

Anyway cynicism aside, Reed seems decent enough. However, at 22 it seems this season could be make or break for him. Only a handful of appearances for Southampton since coming onto the scene 3 years ago. No previous loan experience either.

For the record, i didnt know Marc Tierney, Andrew Surman, David Fox, Simeon Jackson, Andrew Crofts, Russell Martin etc etc was until we signed them. My knowledge wasn''t that great on Paul Lambert either.

Know where im going with this? I''m looking forward to a new era at the club and fingers crossed (blind faith and all) lightening just might strike twice.

I am not sure about incomers being specific like-for-like replacements for players at the club now who might be leaving/having less game time. If anything he sounds like a new Holt.

A second ball winning ball using central midfielder simply confirms how much we are moving to address the balance of the squad - we have recognised thompson and tettey have injury concerns and that neither dorrans nor howson were disciplined or combative enough to provide a shield.

Given the array of attacking options we have minimised the loss of howson & dorrans and strengthened the balance of a starting XI while adding competition.

Just how good these players are will be key; but we are building a platform for success - even if I am sharpening my pitchfork to balance my optimism.

Use the funds for that experience CB & LB and it starts to become more real.

I''m a fan of the Southampton way of working and their youth set up. This will be another motivated young player , with potential. I think we''re doing well up to now , ...

This much overdue squad revamp is happening whether you like it or not Lincoln.

Stop your constant whingeing, it''s tiresome.

Looks like a useful signing.

I hope we don''t get too many more on loan however. It is very easy to sell and fill the gaps with temporary players. I think we can all remember Glenn Roeders calamitous relegation squad.

I personally think two or three is the sweet spot. Lets invest the funds we receive from Howson and Dorrans into some young permanent players.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I am not sure about incomers being specific like-for-like replacements for players at the club now who might be leaving/having less game time. If anything he sounds like a new Holt.[/quote]I know you''re a numbers man Purple so I feel it''s my duty to point out we''ve had more than one Holt.You do mean Gary, don''t you?

I''m pretty glad Norwich might finally be getting over its fear of loans.

It was as true under Roeder as it is now, it doesn''t matter if it is a loan or not, it matters about who the player is. Even under Roeder some of the loans were hugely successful.

You only have to look at Huddersfield last season to see how well chosen loan signings can propel a club from mid-table to gaining promotion. I doubt we''d have seen the Terriers get promoted without the likes of Mooy, Ward and Baker on loan there.

If Reed can come here and perform well for a season we can worry about if he is signed or sent back next summer. There are a lot of players needed this summer and it is unrealistic to expect that 3 or 4 of them won''t be loanees.