Sign in to follow this  
Bill

J Murphy to be sold .....

Yes it seems it will be all wrapped up this weekend, 10m plus 2m add ons... Don''t really want to see him go and think he is jumping a tad early but it is what it is.

Webber could but a whole new team with that money lol

[quote user="Herman"]I do feel that he needs another year to develope in the Championship, as he isn''t quite as fully rounded a player as he needs to be. I fear he could get lost in the Prem and his potential dissappear if he ends up being underused, or overawed by 50k baying Geordies. I can''t hide my bias and that I want him to stay, but for him a big move now could hurt his career as we have seen happen over the years. 1 season here, with new progressive coaches, may be what he needs to help his career in the very long term.[/quote]

I''m with you Herman.

The transfer market seemed pretty overheated last year, but this year things have gone mad.

Its a pittance , they are reported to have said £10 million take it or leave it we should say £16 million take it or leave it , they can afford it and much more while we are taking on players that may not even be anywhere near championship standard like they are going out of fashion .As for the money being spent on team strengthening , yeah of course it will , just as the parachute money is being used to make us contenders this season . All this squad needed was a good manager and a couple of decent centre backs and a upgrade on Jerome , take away Pritchard and Maddison and theres not much left at all . As Ricardo said i think the aim this season will be trying to finish above those down the road, no certainty there either .From next season it will just be a matter of time before these owners have us back in league one , they just dont have the money to compete even with parachute payments .

Aye, seeing the ridiculous amounts being chucked around at the moment does make one shudder. As someone else pointed out this bubble will surely blow sooner or later. And in Jacob''s case I''m not sure the agents are putting his best interests at heart.

It will be a considerable managerial achievement for Farke if he saves us from league this season; it will be a remarkable achievement if he repeats that feat the next. What a total fiasco.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It will be a considerable managerial achievement for Farke if he saves us from league this season; it will be a remarkable achievement if he repeats that feat the next. What a total fiasco.[/quote]Image result for twat mug

Looking at the incoming and outgoing it is willfull blindness not to acknowledge that the club is engaged in a downgrading exercise.

It''s a fair comment Ricardo.
I can understand some of the transfers so far but selling someone like Jacob who''s value is only likely to increase and in his first ever season at Championship level returned some pretty decent goal and assist counts is a little depressing. We aren''t going to be able to buy in better than him, put it that way.
It''s one thing to sell some of your best players when they''re the older one''s - Howson and Dorrans; but selling someone like Jacob is sending out all the wrong messages.

We are heading in a downward direction and placing a huge amount of blind faith in the unknown.

The faith is becoming of biblical proportions imo.

Everyone let go thus far makes sense. Do the concerned fans know enough about the new players to be worried or is it the unknown?

Regarding Jacob, what a shame but predictable having failed to gain promotion with a "premier league" squad.

I''m gonna be gutted if this goes through, particularly if its anything like 10m with add ons. From a purely financial point of view it is extremely likely that Murphy will be worth more at the end of this season than now (he was only just adapting!) - he is an asset with rapidly increasing value and no-one has a clue how far it will rise - see the difference from last summer to this! I would suggest that to ''cash in'' on him at this point in his career would be to not cash in at all. He could feasibly be worth double at the end of next season. Not good business for a cash poor club trying to maximise it''s earnings!

But more importantly than all of that is that us norwich fans have been waiting since that FA youth Cup final to see the two Murphys tearing it up on either wing for the first team. Now, finally they have got some minutes under their belt, they have begun to adapt, and now we have a manager with a system that could really suit them and help them realise their potential. It would be sickening to see us sell him at this point, just as it looks like this is the season where it could click into place.

And if it really does click into place, a team with the two murphys playing as wide forwards (just like they did in that youth FA cup final) with oliveira in between and pritchard or maddison pulling the strings behind really could be an attack that propels us up.

A club like ours shouldn''t be trying to cash in on our best young players. If our transfer policy is to buy young and hungry, but then we sell them at the first sign of a big offer just when they might be getting good then how are we supposed to grow as a club? Cash in on players like howson by all means whose career is gradually coming to an end, but we need to at least try and grow alongside our best young players in those early years otherwise we are little more than a glorified feeder club for the premiership.

That''s not even mentioning the fact that it would be massively beneficial to Murphy to stay with us for at least one more year to really nail down his craft. If he ends up on the bench at Newcastle I am going to be even more gutted!

Anyway, better stop now - I needed to vent.

The problem is, we are told, that Muphy wants the move to go ahead.  That is the hype and if true, then it is best for all parties to agree and get the job done. However, I am always suspicicious of Newcastle - and agents for that matter.  They are hyping this up totally publically through Lee Ryder and it is not the way to do it imo.  I do hope Jacob is strong enough to resist any hype that is there and see what is best for his future - which may be staying at Norwich another season.  If he does genuinely see his future at Newcastle, then good luck to him, but the fee has to be right for us too. £10m does not cut it, imo, given what PL clubs are getting this season.   http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-submit-increased-offer-13335142And who has decided Jacob is a Newcastle fan?

[quote user="ricardo"]Looking at the incoming and outgoing it is willfull blindness not to acknowledge that the club is engaged in a downgrading exercise.[/quote]ricardo, i prefer to call it downsizing rather than downgrading. We have as yet no idea of the grade the new players will give to City, and as for the lot we have gotten rid in this close season, well i appreciate you may think we have left enormous empty gaps of quality in the squad due to us losing such world infamous talents as Turner, Lafferty, Whittaker, Bassong etc etc, but really, give the new guys a chance would you, before theyve even kicked a ball in the new season as yet?As for the financial side of things, what else would the club be doing right now other than accepting the reality of where its at and what may come in the future? Im positive Delia and hubby have not and never will, forget what happened nearly a decade ago. The financial reality of football was like a razor blade then, goodness knows its even more acute these days.Ive said a few times in posts that City are downsizing but same time embarking on a set up they have never had before, they have brought in Webber. AN and nearly all his staff, along with the majority of hangers on and  "been here to long" brigade have been blown away quickly and affectively. Bravo City, now we wait and see how 11 guys in yellow and green can entertain us for a new season, nothing else matters.

This thread is beginning to sound remarkably like another one on here ...

"100 billion? Tell them to whistle for it. 10 tops."

"I have it on good authority they won''t settle for less than 60 billion."

"We''ll walk away then. Remember NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL!!"

:-)

If this £10 million with £2 million add ons Is accepted then this club is a bigger joke than I thought. Why are we so desperate to take this offer? If they want him then play hardball and set his value at silly money. He has a four year contract and if he performs this season his value will be even higher in the crazy January market.

Massive downgrading of talent and expectations for the club is underway. It''s very clear that any ambitions of the club to return to the premier league will now be down to a Lambert style miracle as opposed to a plan and action to get there. If we sell our best players then we get what we deserve, a struggling championship team again within 3 seasons.

If we sell him then we HAVE to reinvest a major chunk of it.

Say we get £12m for him, we''d have (reportedly) raised over £30m in player sales since January (Brady, Olsson, Murphy, Howson, Dorrans) and surely have trimmed massive chunk off the wage bill with the 7 releases. You''d have to think that the money can then be spent to strengthen the defence/forwards.

People are writing as if we have a lot of choice here - if he wants to go we are limited in what we can do to stop it, and if we want to see NCFC run for the long term we have to accept NCFC being run in a businesslike manner in the short term.

If jacob goes maybe it will make it easier to hold on to Olivera.

Maybe if we still had the money spent on Naismith and Wiltshut then maybe we could afford both Murphys in our squad.

Unless things have changed much the Murphys are exciting going forward, but offer little in terms of pressing and tracking back, and under Farke we might never have seen them both on the pitch at the same time. I also hope that Farke will use substitutes to change things, rather than making like for like changes - which failed to help us under AN.

I suppose £10m + for a player who''s never played in the Premier League is a good price but if he does go it''ll leave me with a feeling that we''ve been shortchanged.The player is on a 4 year contract and as far as we know there''s no release clause so why do we even think of selling at that price ? Newcastle are rolling around in Ashley''s billions. We should be playing hardball and ask for a lot more. I think the player himself would benefit from another season at Carrow Rd too.We can only hope that it''s all talk but I suspect his head''s been turned, he''ll be off, and he''ll need to find someone else to do his ironing.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]The problem is, we are told, that Muphy wants the move to go ahead.  That is the hype and if true, then it is best for all parties to agree and get the job done. However, I am always suspicicious of Newcastle - and agents for that matter.  They are hyping this up totally publically through Lee Ryder and it is not the way to do it imo.  I do hope Jacob is strong enough to resist any hype that is there and see what is best for his future - which may be staying at Norwich another season.  If he does genuinely see his future at Newcastle, then good luck to him, but the fee has to be right for us too. £10m does not cut it, imo, given what PL clubs are getting this season.   http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-submit-increased-offer-13335142And who has decided Jacob is a Newcastle fan?

[/quote]

Even if Jacob is a Newcastle fan I still don''t think that means we automatically need to let him go! This is the classic example of the club hierachy needing to at least have the ''one more season'' chat. There are good sound reasons for him personally to stay as well. Frankly I, and I''m sure a lot of norwich fans, would think it was best for Jacob to be guaranteed first team football this season. He needs serious minutes this year to continue his development. The challenge of changing clubs and living up to a transfer fee will be new and with Matt Ritchie already well embedded in Jacobs favoured position there is no guarantee he will get those minutes at Newcastle who will start the season in a relegation scrap along with half the Premiership. He has to hit the ground running there. But here he can grow, develop, build his confidence and prove himself and his quality in a team who will (hopefully) be on the front foot, suit his way of playing and give him a position in the starting eleven that is his to lose. If we don''t go up this season and he carries on developing, the move to newcastle will still be there and he might be a first choice starter then, and probably at a larger fee for us. If we do go up - maybe he won''t want to leave, and even if he does, it will certainly be for a larger fee. Now that is the win - win situation for everyone involved which I hope everyone at ncfc could get behind, including murphy himself.

I actually think we''ve got a better chance of holding onto him than some think. He signed a new, long term deal only recently and a combination of good man management and tough negotiation can keep him here.

I would be surprised if he''s still here in a week or two.

[quote user="peateabee"][quote user="lake district canary"]The problem is, we are told, that Muphy wants the move to go ahead.  That is the hype and if true, then it is best for all parties to agree and get the job done. However, I am always suspicicious of Newcastle - and agents for that matter.  They are hyping this up totally publically through Lee Ryder and it is not the way to do it imo.  I do hope Jacob is strong enough to resist any hype that is there and see what is best for his future - which may be staying at Norwich another season.  If he does genuinely see his future at Newcastle, then good luck to him, but the fee has to be right for us too. £10m does not cut it, imo, given what PL clubs are getting this season.   http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-submit-increased-offer-13335142And who has decided Jacob is a Newcastle fan?

[/quote]

Even if Jacob is a Newcastle fan I still don''t think that means we automatically need to let him go! This is the classic example of the club hierachy needing to at least have the ''one more season'' chat. There are good sound reasons for him personally to stay as well. Frankly I, and I''m sure a lot of norwich fans, would think it was best for Jacob to be guaranteed first team football this season. He needs serious minutes this year to continue his development. The challenge of changing clubs and living up to a transfer fee will be new and with Matt Ritchie already well embedded in Jacobs favoured position there is no guarantee he will get those minutes at Newcastle who will start the season in a relegation scrap along with half the Premiership. He has to hit the ground running there. But here he can grow, develop, build his confidence and prove himself and his quality in a team who will (hopefully) be on the front foot, suit his way of playing and give him a position in the starting eleven that is his to lose. If we don''t go up this season and he carries on developing, the move to newcastle will still be there and he might be a first choice starter then, and probably at a larger fee for us. If we do go up - maybe he won''t want to leave, and even if he does, it will certainly be for a larger fee. Now that is the win - win situation for everyone involved which I hope everyone at ncfc could get behind, including murphy himself.[/quote]

Totally agree, mate.  Common sense should say stay and develop here. Unfortuntely the lure of money and being wooed by a "big" club may turn his head.  Plus, his agent will be encouraging him to go too.  Difficult for a young player to see common sense when faced with all that.

Trevor Hockey''s Beard wrote the following post at 15/07/2017 11:36 AM:

People are writing as if we have a lot of choice here - if he wants to go we are limited in what we can do to stop it, and if we want to see NCFC run for the long term we have to accept NCFC being run in a businesslike manner in the short term.

If jacob goes maybe it will make it easier to hold on to Olivera.

Maybe if we still had the money spent on Naismith and Wiltshut then maybe we could afford both Murphys in our squad.

Unless things have changed much the Murphys are exciting going forward, but offer little in terms of pressing and tracking back, and under Farke we might never have seen them both on the pitch at the same time. I also hope that Farke will use substitutes to change things, rather than making like for like changes - which failed to help us under AN.

He has committed to a 4 year contract so of cause we have a choice. We could choose to set his value at silly money and wait for a club to pay it

@ldc

One thing you need to have to be a professional footballer is a really high level of self confidence. It may seem like common sense to us to stay but for a football like Jacob he''ll believe he can do it at that higher level.

That''s not how the real world works, JF - if a player wants to leave it''s about getting the best price. £12m for a hot-and-cold player who has no PL experience is not a bad fee, particularly if it is £10m ''now'', though obviously more would always be better.

peateabee wrote the following post at 2017-07-15

Even if Jacob is a Newcastle fan I still don''t think that means we automatically need to let him go! This is the classic example of the club hierachy needing to at least have the ''one more season'' chat. There are good sound reasons for him personally to stay as well. Frankly I, and I''m sure a lot of norwich fans, would think it was best for Jacob to be guaranteed first team football this season. He needs serious minutes this year to continue his development. The challenge of changing clubs and living up to a transfer fee will be new and with Matt Ritchie already well embedded in Jacobs favoured position there is no guarantee he will get those minutes at Newcastle who will start the season in a relegation scrap along with half the Premiership. He has to hit the ground running there. But here he can grow, develop, build his confidence and prove himself and his quality in a team who will (hopefully) be on the front foot, suit his way of playing and give him a position in the starting eleven that is his to lose. If we don''t go up this season and he carries on developing, the move to newcastle will still be there and he might be a first choice starter then, and probably at a larger fee for us. If we do go up - maybe he won''t want to leave, and even if he does, it will certainly be for a larger fee. Now that is the win - win situation for everyone involved which I hope everyone at ncfc could get behind, including murphy himself.

Do you seriously think this young man is not considering his own financial position rather than footballing position! He will be made for life if this goes through. And there is no guarantee he will be worth anywhere near the current valuation next season!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]That''s not how the real world works, JF - if a player wants to leave it''s about getting the best price. £12m for a hot-and-cold player who has no PL experience is not a bad fee, particularly if it is £10m ''now'', though obviously more would always be better.[/quote]

Agree with Branston Pickle and rest assured I don''t want to see Murphy leave, but if that''s what he wants then a 4 year deal or not it''s difficult to stand in his way.

12m is a good fee for an improving player and he could have a career ending injury with us this year and then he''s worth nothing... Of course I truly hope that would never happen but the Champs is a tough league.

We have to take a business viewpoint rather than emotional, unfortunately that''s how business works.

Losing Jacob the jewel in the crown would be a total disaster.

If only we had someone a bit like him. Then we could take the money, prepare for the future and not need to go through revolution again at the end of next season as well.

Parma