Sign in to follow this  
Bill

J Murphy to be sold .....

John Percy''s reliable, he''s the guy that broke the story that Daniel Farke was our new coach, way before it was on anyone else''s radar.

Not that surprised this has happened, once a player knows he can move to a better paid job at a ''bigger club'' , you might as well accept that they are off. Jacob has many attributes of a top player, but he is still very much ''in developement'', his stock may rise( hope there''s a sell on%) it may not, in which case we''ve done very good business indeed.The new set up at the Club is starting to seem very radical , exciting new Era.

When Chase sold Sutton and there was no reinvestment the fans let him know their feelings, will the same happen to Smith and Jones when this money isn''t reinvested?

Herman wrote the following post at 17/07/2017 5:29 PM:

Bloody good business imo. Well done CityYes [Y]

Be great if we could sell Oliviera, Pinto, Jerome and Pritchard as well wouldn''t it? Hopefully Josh Murphy has a great season as well so we can sell him.

Seems fair to me.  Newcastle wanted to stop at £10m, we likely wanted £15m, so a compromise was reached mid-way at 12.5m.  Sad to see him go, but we do have another Murphy in the wings and plenty of midfielders in waiting - and that 12.5 million may well enable us to strengthen elsewhere in the team, so all in all, a good deal.

Herman wrote the following post at 17/07/2017 5:35 PM:

I wish there was a ''fan'' transfer window.

Mk Dons would be all over you...

[quote user="Baldyboy"]When Chase sold Sutton and there was no reinvestment the fans let him know their feelings, will the same happen to Smith and Jones when this money isn''t reinvested?[/quote]

Why does Chase continue to this day to get all the flak for selling players when the Stowmarket 2 have done precisely the same? Did they not sell Eadie, Bellamy, Ashton, Earnshaw, Green, Redmond, Brady and now Murphy?

If you are going to hound one chairman out for selling players it is only fair that Delia and Wynnie should be hounded out too.

The club is being downsized before our eyes. Self-funding clubs are inevitably selling clubs.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

Why does Chase continue to this day to get all the flak for selling players when the Stowmarket 2 have done precisely the same? Did they not sell Eadie, Bellamy, Ashton, Earnshaw, Green, Redmond, Brady and now Murphy?

If you are going to hound one chairman out for selling players it is only fair that Delia and Wynnie should be hounded out too.

The club is being downsized before our eyes. Self-funding clubs are inevitably selling clubs.[/quote]There is so much wrong with that post, I don''t know where to start.  Best that can be said is that all clubs are selling clubs.  More to the point is why some people have such a huge chip on their shoulders about the club......

If the sums are correct, then in today''s insane Premier League market we are selling him for a fraction of what Newcastle should be expected to pay for him. If Redmond is valued at £50m+ as claimed on the recent thread about him, I maintain that a player of Jacob''s ability and potential to improve, who has just signed a 4 year extension should command a fee of £20 to £25m. We should have held out until Newcastle reached a figure well above what they initially offered. Then if Jacob found this to be unacceptable, we should have reminded him that he has just signed a new 4 year contract and that he will be training on his own until either his contract expired, his attitude improved or Newcastle met the clubs valuation. Hopefully the £12m being quoted is just the initial payment and there are substantial add ons and a healthy resale percentage, if not would be very disappointed to let one of our better players go for a price well south of what we should be getting for him.

I think you''ll find that 12.5 mil is quite a bit more than the original 8 mil offered. wisely spent that 4.5mil can do a lot for this Club, maybe more than hanging on to Jacob would have achieved. Nevermind the original 8 million....that makes him our most expensive sale ever doesn''t it?The more i think about it the more sense it makes, Jacob is good, but not essential.

Boro have spent (or will have very shortly) £25m so far this summer including buying Howson from us.

Unfortunately I doubt us reinvesting about a quarter of the Murphy money on lower league German players will do us as much good as some seem to think.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="Baldyboy"]When Chase sold Sutton and there was no reinvestment the fans let him know their feelings, will the same happen to Smith and Jones when this money isn''t reinvested?[/quote]

The club is being downsized before our eyes. Self-funding clubs are inevitably selling clubs.[/quote]Yet you sat in the NCFSC meeting for the entire evening, when you had a chance to challenge the club''s hierarchy, and said nothing?! Shame on you, Vince. I think you should rename yourself Little Vinnie for being such a coward.But then again, it''s so much easier to make wild and disparaging accusations from the safety of your keyboard, isn''t it?It''s probably accurate to say the club is being downsized, yes. What would you have us do? Invest in more players on £30k+ per week with very little resale value at the end of their contracts? More Matt Jarvises? Do you not feel a little twinge of excitement when you see the likes of Jamal Lewis performing well for the first team?

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]If the sums are correct, then in today''s insane Premier League market we are selling him for a fraction of what Newcastle should be expected to pay for him. If Redmond is valued at £50m+ as claimed on the recent thread about him, I maintain that a player of Jacob''s ability and potential to improve, who has just signed a 4 year extension should command a fee of £20 to £25m. We should have held out until Newcastle reached a figure well above what they initially offered. Then if Jacob found this to be unacceptable, we should have reminded him that he has just signed a new 4 year contract and that he will be training on his own until either his contract expired, his attitude improved or Newcastle met the clubs valuation[/quote]Horse$hit.A) You''re pulling figures out of your backside in terms of value, and quite clearly both our board and Newcastle''s don''t see him as a £20-25mil player at present (and I fully agree with this), he''s had ONE good season in the Champs, zero experience in the prem, has faults that we are all too aware of, and yet we''ve actually got arguably better money than we did for Redmond who was a stronger player to begin with!B) Player power rules the game these days, and most clubs are either unable or unwilling to have a player sat there in the reserves earning good wages to do absolutely jack in exchange, and the truth is that once a player''s head is turned, you may as well accept the inevitable and get the best deal you can for the club, because we live in the age where contracts mean little other than as a bargaining tool to get a better sale price.

Lets wait and see eh? the ''old'' way wasnt really working in any sustainable way for. So short of getting in a big investor, we needed to remodel.I''m ok with this. Fortune favours the Brave.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Boro have spent (or will have very shortly) £25m so far this summer including buying Howson from us.

Unfortunately I doubt us reinvesting about a quarter of the Murphy money on lower league German players will do us as much good as some seem to think.[/quote]Lets wait and see eh? the ''old'' way wasnt really working in any

sustainable way for us. So short of getting in a big investor, we needed to

remodel.I''m ok with this. Fortune favours the Brave.

We may well still go on to have a successful season, anything less than the play offs should be considered failure though. But make no mistake, this sale has weakened our squad and therefore damaged our chances of promotion. I find it quite ridiculous that some posters are hailing this a ''good business''

It seems like some on here have already wrote off Marley Watkins...

10 Goals 8 Assists - 34 Apps

And on a free no less...

We''re going to be just fine.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]If the sums are correct, then in today''s insane Premier League market we are selling him for a fraction of what Newcastle should be expected to pay for him. If Redmond is valued at £50m+ as claimed on the recent thread about him, I maintain that a player of Jacob''s ability and potential to improve, who has just signed a 4 year extension should command a fee of £20 to £25m. We should have held out until Newcastle reached a figure well above what they initially offered. Then if Jacob found this to be unacceptable, we should have reminded him that he has just signed a new 4 year contract and that he will be training on his own until either his contract expired, his attitude improved or Newcastle met the clubs valuation[/quote]Horse$hit.A) You''re pulling figures out of your backside in terms of value, and quite clearly both our board and Newcastle''s don''t see him as a £20-25mil player at present (and I fully agree with this), he''s had ONE good season in the Champs, zero experience in the prem, has faults that we are all too aware of, and yet we''ve actually got arguably better money than we did for Redmond who was a stronger player to begin with!B) Player power rules the game these days, and most clubs are either unable or unwilling to have a player sat there in the reserves earning good wages to do absolutely jack in exchange, and the truth is that once a player''s head is turned, you may as well accept the inevitable and get the best deal you can for the club, because we live in the age where contracts mean little other than as a bargaining tool to get a better sale price.[/quote]I would thank you to keep a civil tone, especially when in the wrong.a) I am not pulling figures out of the air. I have used the link posted on a different thread by Van Wink, found here - http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15409947.Redmond_valued_at_around___53m, looked at other dealings in the transfer market so far (i.e £30m for Pickford, £27m for Klassen, £17m for Maguire etc), taken into consideration length of contract Jacob is signed to & what he can offer to a team and also thought about the 20% rise in revenue that top flight sides are expected to see this season according to Deloittes (who, unlike you or I, happen to be experts in this area). After taking all of that into consideration I have come to the opinion that a reported straight fee of £12.5m is undervaluing Jacob by a considerable way in today''s "Premier League" transfer market. Of course you are free to disagree with me about Jacobs value and if you have any gold or silver for sale pm me and I''m sure we can do a deal. [;)]b) I would agree that player power does indeed have a lot of sway in football today. That is down to clubs being unwilling to act like proper employers and tell their employees how it is. That said, I think it is highly unlikely that they would take the same attitude should one of the guys in the ticket office refuse to work because they have had a better job offer and want to leave immediately rather than work the notice period in their contract. Maybe a couple of clubs could take a stand against "player power" and the next time a player refuses to play or train because their "head has been turned" (al a Van Hooijdonk or Payet) sue for breach of contract. Just brainstorming ideas.

Extremely dissaponted with this, doesn''t fill me with vibes of building for the future.

[quote user="Herman"]I wish there was a ''fan'' transfer window.[/quote]If there was then the stands would be empty because they would have sold the lot of us by now.[Y]

Definitely disappointed but facing the reality that the player obviously wanted to go.
If the fee is correct, then we have made a good deal of money and hopefully will be allowed to spend a great deal of it.
Good luck to all concerned. Let''s hope we get to see him in an England shirt.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Boro have spent (or will have very shortly) £25m so far this summer including buying Howson from us.

Unfortunately I doubt us reinvesting about a quarter of the Murphy money on lower league German players will do us as much good as some seem to think.[/quote]We are re-structuring for a very different future Jim. Lower league German players will fit that bill comfortably.

Careful Ricardo or you will be labelled a ''Doom monger''!

i think with jacob people are disappointed as we have not see anything like the best of him

i for one think it is good doing a southampton for the good of the club

producing youngsters and selling them on will be a good income

but i feel unlike Southampton we have not seen enough of Murphy to feel like he has our bless after a few years of service and enjoyment from us if that makes sense ??

This sale is good business for the club. I don''t like to see Jacob go but in our current situation its an offer we can''t refuse. Just remember that there is very little to choose in terms of quality between the two Murphy boys, it''s not that long ago that Josh was considered the better of the two. Jacob took his chance last season and good on him, but there''s a very good chance that Josh will fill his boots next season with equal ability. If this sale means we can strengthen the rest of the squad then I''m happy.

We are far from being Southampton with the academy and the chances of another big money sale from the academy lie with his brother. After that then who knows how long the next one will be. Realistically the only way this club is financially viable under these owners is by being in the PL. this season represented our last realistic attempt to push for that. After this season then we are likely looking at a return to mid table championship mediocrity again