Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Graham Dorrans

@Hoegsar

I think there is also a danger of overating our own. Dorrans is fine but in two years he''s never nailed down a first choice spot in the starting xi. He''s been hear two and a half years yet has less than 50 starts in that time. Our squad has been jam packed full of players on high wages who are not quite good enough to start and clearing those players out is the best way of saving money and rebooting the squad.

I think i''m probably making a more general point than an absolute one about Dorrans although I''ll admit he''s a player I rate and like.

I think he''s been a bit unlucky with injuries and the formation we''ve played - with one genuine holding midfielder like Tettey and a more versatile one like Howson - fighting Howson for a starting place isn''t easy but I don''t think there''s a massive gap in between the two players.

If he''s on high wages of course I understand the desire to offload players such as him and I''m not saying he''s irreplaceable, but if you look at every thread on here about a player leaving the answer''s have been "just get in a younger better player on less wages" which is a little naive. We might be able to pull of a couple of gems but even that is asking a lot in such a competitive market.

[quote user="Woodman"]I come back to the point I made on the Klose thread - McGovern, Jones, Dorrans, Jarvis, Tettey are the players who are ageing and on high wages (Jones excepted I presume). As ''squad'' players, rather than first teamers, if we sell those 5, we could save ourselves £5m a year in wages (rough estimate based on 20k each per week).

However, that''s a risky strategy - plus someone else needs to want them first. We can''t just cancel their contracts.[/quote]I''ve said it before - no-one is going to buy Jarvis. The only way he would leave is if we paid off the rest of his contract, which would save us precisely £0. Sadly, his injury record is so bad, the only way he''d get into another club will be after some time proving he  has properly recovered.

I''ve said it before - no-one is going to buy Jarvis. The only way he would leave is if we paid off the rest of his contract, which would save us precisely £0. Sadly,

not really Nuff we might get a deal of mutual consent

just say his contract is worth 2 mil we might be able to give him a lump sum of 1 mil so he can restart his career somewhere else instead of not playing saving us 1 mil

he will make up the other money by playing somewhere else it happens

if he is not wanted of course

I''ve made similar comments on the Klose thread but for me Dorrans is a no brainer to sell.

Ageing, high earner and not delivering a huge amount to the team.

Sell him on and bring in someone younger and with greater potential. Obviously easier said than done, but I can''t see Dorrans getting much better and it isn''t like he was tearing up trees over the last season or two. If Rangers want him and are prepared to pay a fee then take the money and run - hopefully Webber can then invest it in players with as much success as he did at Huddersfield.

Beth don''t you think we have that younger player here already in Thompson?

It''s a no brainier to get rid of all high earners as they''ve either been here a fair time or not good enough for their earnings. The club have to consider that it''ll be difficult to get up this comming season.

We have some great youngsters who at ages of 19, 21, 22 and 23 in Maddison, Thompson, Murphy and Pritchard all of should be ready to step up.

Sort out that defence, keep Tettey, Wes and Howson and get rid of Naismith, Jarvis, Dorrans, Wilds, IMO.

Dorrans and Thompson are pretty different types of players in my eyes so don''t think he is a direct replacement. Possibly more of a replacement for Tettey though.

Bit cautious with Thompson as really hard to know if he is actually any good or not due to not having any real appearances for Norwich, and not really sure if he is ever going to be fit if this season is anything to go by.

There are decent young players at Norwich, but I still think there is a need for a midfielder who can be a bit more creative while sitting in a midfield two. Essentially to be cover for Howson, like Dorrans has been for much of his time at Norwich.

Players wages are not covered by insurance while they are injured.

"Does anyone know if players wages are covered by insurance when they are injured?"

Very much doubt it. The premiums would be enormous.

Career-ending injuries are a different matter though and I believe that both club and player insure against such a happening.

The club for the loss of an asset and the player for loss of future earnings.

It was unfortunate for Thomson as when he did break into the first team he looked pretty damn good for that game.

I''m not sure I agree Beth as I saw him for Swindon a few times when he was there and I thought he played a Howson or Dorrans type game.

Still I agree we will need a few more players, do you think Maddison could drop into that position Beth?

I think Maddison might be a bit too small to drop back into central midfield - his talents are best left in the attack third where he can create.

Thompson looked good in one game. But that is too little game time to take much from. I always saw him as a player with a lot of energy and good at breaking up opposition play, rather than moving forward with the ball and creating much. Could be wrong on that of course. Will be interesting to see how much he plays next season.

In theory, the whole squad has an opportunity to impress, so those who suit Farke''s style of play ought to be there or thereabouts for the first team squad. AN was reluctant to play some of the younger players (Thompson pre-injury, Pritchard, Canos) as well as releasing others on loan (Maddison, Rudd, Toffolo).

Its a clean slate for everyone.

[quote user="Indy"]

Sort out that defence, keep Tettey, Wes and Howson and get rid of Naismith, Jarvis, Dorrans, Wilds, IMO.[/quote]Have to take issue with you regarding Tettey Indy.  This is a player as you well know, whose legs are on the wane, seems to have more and more difficulty passing to a yellow shirt, and gets booked far too many times then subsequently banned to be as useful as he should be.  No good if often unavailable because, either banned or not up to the rigours of Chumps football.  Would imagine he''s not one of the lower earners either.  Imo time to move him on if possible.

I have to agree but, there''s a point for having some senior players to help bring through these younger potential stars. If we get rid of Tettey as well as Jarvis, Naismith and Dorrans it only leaves Wes and Howson in that midfield.

I''m all for sweeping changes but for me it should be done as a planned three year plan, not all in one summer, my concern for bringing in Webber, new coach system, new players, yes Huddersfield have had a great season doesn''t mean we are about to replicate this.

I''d be happy to keep Tettey, on his day is a big part of this team along with Wes and Martin.

I''d probably agree with that, but if Dorrans is going then should we keep both Tettey & Howson?

It''s a tough one but I''m sure Farke & Webber have their plans for all these players.

[quote user="Indy"]I have to agree but, there''s a point for having some senior players to help bring through these younger potential stars. If we get rid of Tettey as well as Jarvis, Naismith and Dorrans it only leaves Wes and Howson in that midfield.

I''m all for sweeping changes but for me it should be done as a planned three year plan, not all in one summer, my concern for bringing in Webber, new coach system, new players, yes Huddersfield have had a great season doesn''t mean we are about to replicate this.

I''d be happy to keep Tettey, on his day is a big part of this team along with Wes and Martin.[/quote]I also agree that we need to keep a few of the senior players, but the midfield (imo) has been poor in helping defending.  We all know how good we are going forwards, but the naivety in defending has been astonishing at times. I guess I''ve seen all the goals for and against this season, as well as been to a few games - and the overiding feeling is that the midfield were pro-active going forwards and re-active in defending, for most of the season.  Now that may be down to the manager, but I would have thought that senior players - including Tettey - would show a bit more common sense in their play - and know how to be pro-active in defending as a team.  It was actually quite horrifying at times to see four or five midfield players standing around flat footed, while the opposition passed between them and then had the defence at their mercy. Horrifying.  So for me, Tettey, Howson, Naismith, even Wes, could go - Dorrans too - although he is an under-rated player imo, versatile and can do a job virtually anywhere on the pitch.  It''s no good saying Tettey is good "on his day" or Wes is good "on his day" or anyone else for that matter. We need reliable and consistent players, not players who have one good game then disappear for three games, or players good in attack but worse than useless at knowing what to do when we don''t have the ball.  It''s up to the manager to organise the team, but it''s up to the players to know what they are doing on the pitch - and show a bit of gumption and know how. If the senior players can''t instill that in the team on the pitch, then what is the point in keeping them?

I like Dorrans and would prefer to keep him. Now my memory may be completely kaput, but didn''t his return coincide with some upturn of form? There is a danger of shipping too much out and sadly I think Tettey has had his day, but we need some youth but also some experience and depth.

i think this is a good thing our midfield lacks pace box to box midfield is what we need

younger player with a real engine bite in the tackle and a good pass

should be able to get one on a free easy !!! ;-)

Interesting how players are valued.

Dorrans probably has a slightly better career profile than howson, both contracted until 2019, just a year age difference with howson younger, both having had similar seasons just gone, with dorrans a worse injury record.

Yet one we are happy to lose for c £1m with the other no less than £7m.

Is there really that much difference between the two?

The difference is probably Howson''s goal scoring.

He is undoubtedly an asset for us, but then look at his goal against Man City and the mazy run he went on. Brilliant, but if you have that ability in you, why not take on players like that a bit more often? Not influential often enough. Works hard, flashes of occasional brilliance, but there will be other players out there to take his place that will be influential a bit more often.

I always look at it as if I was an opponent and who I would rather play against.

In which case I''d rather play against Dorrans.

@ldc

I''d assume he doesn''t do it more often as he''s not asked to. Under Hughton he was clearly under strict instructions not to get too far forward and under Neil with so many other players bombing on/occupying space in the middle HR didn''t really have the space.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Howson would look at his best in a traditional midfield 4 where he has license to bomb forward and go box to box.

Highland is easily my favourite parody poster-more entertaining than True Grit, and much funnier than the whole Waveney franchise. Keep it up mate, you''ve got me in stitches.