Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Playoffs Playoffs Playoffs

Would love it but I can''t just see it. Barnsley had a hat full of chances today. I just can''t see us winning 3 away games.

Most of you are forgetting that 3 of those teams will have nothing to play for, safe in the knowing that they are in the playoffs.

In what is a very strange season noone seems to want to grab that 6th spot. Can we get 75 points to get it possibly but not probably. We have a very difficult run in but can beat anyone on our day

[quote user="Jamie Witherspoon"]Based on current form.....

Sat Apr 1

Aston Villa A - draw

Tue Apr 4

Huddersfield Town A - lose

Sat Apr 8

Reading H - win

Fri Apr 14

Fulham H - draw

Mon Apr 17

Preston North End A - lose

Fri Apr 21

Live on Sky - Brighton (7.45pm) H - draw

Sat Apr 29

Leeds United A - lose

Sun May 7

QPR (12pm) H - win

9 points for the remaining 8 games. Won''t be enough.

Let it go, let it go

Be at one with the wind and sky[/quote]Pretty much agree with that Mr W although I think we might do slightly better with a win at PNE but lose at Villa Park.The Play-Offs are gone.( Incidentally the Huddersfield game has been put back a day for TV coverage but doubt that''ll affect the result.)

[quote user="lake district canary"]Anyone can beat anyone in this league, including us.  It''s not over until it''s over and with only one win away from being in reaching distance of 6th place, it definitely isn''t over yet.

[/quote]It would take a freakish Championship season for us to finish in 6th position -- There''s two runaway leaders in Newcastle & Brighton, so 75pts will take 6th place, rendering us requiring 18pts from the following 8 games:Aston Villa AHuddersfield Town A        Reading H    Fulham H        Preston North End A        Brighton H        Leeds United A        QPR H

If we won all those home games and drew the away games we''d still fall short.

I''m staggered that anyone thinks we still have a chance of the play offs. The team currently stuttering most in the top six are Sheffield Wednesday and they stuffed us 5-1 recently. Get real!

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I''m staggered that anyone thinks we still have a chance of the play offs. The team currently stuttering most in the top six are Sheffield Wednesday and they stuffed us 5-1 recently. Get real![/quote]In the 2001 season which saw us creep into play offs at the end of the season, Sheff Wed beat us 5-0. 

Part of me wishes the playoffs had pulled away so we could completely forget it. Then we can rebuild properly.

As it stands, the carrot is dangling in front of us and a new manager could give us that boost to win a few of these big games coming up - but do the club want that?

Last week Balls spoke about building for next year - but what happens if we reach the playoffs this year in terms of rebuilding?

@LDC

But were Sheffield Wednesday the team sitting in 6th that we needed to overtake? Because if not the comparison is meaningless.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I''m staggered that anyone thinks we still have a chance of the play offs. The team currently stuttering most in the top six are Sheffield Wednesday and they stuffed us 5-1 recently. Get real![/quote]

Of course there is still a chance, Crafty. Sheff Weds may have given us a beating that particular day, but the reality is that their recent results are not good at all, and Fulham will overtake them comfortably at this rate. Us, Sheff Weds and Fulham all have some tricky fixtures left and none of us know how it''s going to pan out - unforeseen injuries, suspensions, jitters etc etc will all play their part and hopefully we''ll be the luckiest of the 3 in that department, we''ll see.

At the moment, Fulham look in the driving seat for me. Taking 3 points off them at Carrow Rd will be crucial. Brighton slipping up very badly at the moment, and Leeds maybe taking things a little more easy by the time we play them given they''ll be looking forward to the playoffs. QPR will have nothing to play for last day of the season at Carrow Rd. Aston Villa, Huddersfield and Preston our 3 most tricky games left I feel.

So, there''s no way I''m giving up as this is what footie''s all about believe it or not, if it''s season over already for other posters then I think that''s a shame but each to their own!. OTBC

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Sorry LDC, but we actually BEAT Sheff Wed 5-0 that season[/quote]

Yeah [:D] I see that.  I was looking for examples in the past when we did well despite big defeats.  Wiki has it wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_Norwich_City_F.C._seasonI was going to  mention our best ever season in 92/93 when we fnished third in the PL, but got beaten 7-1 by Blackburn and still further back when we got promoted after being  hammered 4-0 by promoton rivals Birmingham, both of which I remember, but saw the above in wiki and it looked kosher!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll lose away at Villa then Huddersfield. Go get Pearson[/quote]

Morning Chuckles

Lost 4-0 at Birmingham in our playoff year though, so similar circumstances Also weren''t we further away with less games to play than we are now?

Didn''t we lose 4-0 away to Boro, then beat them at Wembley to get promoted?

Hardly unheard of for a team to suffer a big defeat against promotion rivals yet still make the playoffs

I''m not sure where the rule book is that says if you have a particularly bad day at the office (I.e Sheff Weds away) then you can''t possibly be promoted in their place. Strange logic.

Exactly.  Wednesday are in free fall for some reason. If that continues - and the chances are that it won''t, but hey - then Fulham are favourites to overtake them, but we are in with a shout and much better than it was looking a few games ago

Of course, it all depends on us starting to get some away wins.  But without AN as manager, I think there''s a chance of improving our away performance, so I now think we have an outside chance whereas beforehand, it was totally unrealistic.

@ Kiddermister...

Do you mean Huddersfield?

Next 2 games are Villa & Huddersfield away - beat Villa & get a point at Huddersfield then that would be a good return imo

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]No Rogue Baboon, I think the Villa Game will be huge and if we are still in the mix before Reading that also should be very important, I agree Huddersfield away also important[/quote]

If ever there were some games to "win ugly", the next few are those.  1-0''s are fine, just get results, whatever it takes.   

[quote user="Alex "]I''m not sure where the rule book is that says if you have a particularly bad day at the office (I.e Sheff Weds away) then you can''t possibly be promoted in their place. Strange logic.[/quote]

I refer the right horrible gentlman to the casesCity v Middlesboro [2015]  1 NC APR where it was shown that a 0-1 home defeat shortly before both teams appeared at Wembley in the Championship Final of that year had no impact on the result on that finalCity v Sunderland [1985]  2 NC MAR where it was shown that a 1-3 home defeat

shortly before both teams appeared at Wembley in the League Cup Final

of that year had no impact on the result on that finalit is therefore my comtention your dishonour that prior games are no indication of future games, and, as can be seen herehere it is quite possible for a football club playing in yellow and green to begin a winning run in mid March and so ensure promotiontherefore the above charge should not so much be kicking it orf, but kicked outand it should also be noted that the aforementioned club lost at Sheff Weds that season also, and that the run in question featured far more wins that those required at this timeDumpling of the Bailey

[quote user="Alex "]Sheff Weds v Fulham last day of the season... could be interesting.[/quote]

Wouldn''t it be fun if we were a point behind them both and then they draw and we leapfrog them by beating QPR.

What''s really frustrating is how close we still are to 6th place after such an underachieving season.

Totally agree Woodman; we''ve had an absolutely abysmal away record, conceded ridiculous numbers of goals, been spanked by teams we should be competing with and not been able to beat anyone above us, yet are still in with a shout.

Even just a couple of draws turned into wins would see us there or thereabouts, so it is incredibly frustrating that we''re looking at such a missed opportunity.