My Dad, Bryan Morris

James, joined the Royal Air Force, so throughout my childhood we moved

from one R.A.F. Base to another we lived in Bedfordshire, Yorkshire,

Somerset and Germany. Then when I was 11 years old, my Dad was posted to

RAF Coltishall, Norfolk and we lived in Sprowston, Norwich, somehow dad

wrangled it so he stayed at Coltishall for over 6 years, meaning we had

a settled education, my ''informative'' years were spent in Norwich and

as soon as we arrived, I started supporting the local football Club,

Norwich City - They were the first and last team I''m ever going to support.

Copied from  http://swindoncanary.wixsite.com/swindoncanary

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Born in Norwich. Loved football as far as I can first remember.

Uncle could have joined City but Grandad told him he wouldn''t make it.

Brother a top keeper and could have gone to Birmingham but too scared to leave home in the late fifties.

First game was 1960 and a 1-1 home draw with Sheffield United. Think we finsihed in the top four and gained what was called "talent money".

Played a small amount of local football at 15 but then decided to concentrate on watching City. River End boy then but changed to the Barclay when the mass singing started.

Followed home and away as much as apprentice wages would allow.

Suppose I''d be labelled a hooligan as I was thrown out of the ground Boxing day 1969 against Leicester. Barclay mob and Leicester mob clashed. My mate went down under a hail of boots while we stood innicently in the middle of it all. As I pulled them off him someone grabbed my shoulder and I turned round and thumped him. But it was a Bobby.

Thrown down the steps at the back and taken into a room where a burly Sergeant asked "Court or a beating?" "Beating if you wouldn''t mind" says I and got mostly punched in the stomach and one on the chin for my cheek.

It sounds awful really but those days did have an extra atmosphere, obviously because of terracing but also because of the closeness of the opposition fans.

Seen the boys beat NZ national team 5-1 in Auckland NZ and met the team at the Airport the next day.

I really am Keelan''s grandad as my son, another NCFC nut named his first son after the greatest ever Norwich player.

Lived in Cornwall since moving back to UK in 1980.[/quote]Blimey[:D]

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]

My Dad, Bryan Morris

James, joined the Royal Air Force, so throughout my childhood we moved

from one R.A.F. Base to another we lived in Bedfordshire, Yorkshire,

Somerset and Germany. Then when I was 11 years old, my Dad was posted to

RAF Coltishall, Norfolk and we lived in Sprowston, Norwich, somehow dad

wrangled it so he stayed at Coltishall for over 6 years, meaning we had

a settled education, my ''informative'' years were spent in Norwich and

as soon as we arrived, I started supporting the local football Club,

Norwich City - They were the first and last team I''m ever going to support.

Copied from  http://swindoncanary.wixsite.com/swindoncanary

[/quote]Good stuff! Still breaks my heart going past Coltishall, the best RAF base I served at, its a crying shame what it has become. I was there till they locked the gates, and was in the closing down parade. Where abouts in Germany did you live?

Great thread NN. Lovely to see all the different journeys people made to come to the club.

My family has been in Norfolk for generations and my Granddad saw city play at Newmarket road when he was a young boy. He swore blind he remembered them playing in blue and white halves but not too sure how accurate that is. My dad followed suit so I guess with a start like that there really wasn''t really any thought that I could support anyone else.

My daughter comes with me every game now and would love to think that my granddaughters will come too when they get a bit older. Long my it continue.

Born in Norfolk into a family of three generations of Norwich fans, including the matriarchs 👍

All been knitted Norwich scarfs and socks for decades. Proud to coach at the club and help its development 👍

Have travelled the world and still love everything about it ❤

Parma 🤓

I can''t quite put my finger on why I started supporting Norwich, as my dad was a Rugby man, and Mum had no interest in sport (neither were Norfolkites, as met here in the RAF), but as we lived in Norwich, they were always going to be my team I guess.

It was 1974 (aged 8) when I asked my Dad to take me, to my first game (lost 1-0 to Arsenal in the Cup) He never took me again, and I had to wait until 76/77 season for my next game.

I can distinctly remember one of my neighbours coming back home from the 5-3 Villa game (MacDougall hat-trick) and eulogising about the game for ages, I wasn''t jealous, just desperately wanted to go to another game!

I have had a 2nd team (Crewe) for some years, and went to see them play a few times, once away at Colchester on a Friday night, Mike Walker was in goal I think, and then back for a City home game the next day. Also saw them play midweek at home, and had to sleep on Crewe station, as there were no trains back to Norfolk until the morning. That never got in the way of, nor was ever going to overtake, my love for all things Green and Yellow mind.

Great Thread, 1st game in 67 Bury at home 1-0 Terry Alcock, apparently I was bit confused because I thought we were playing Bury St Edmunds!, used get taken to a home match once a season as a birthday treat.

Started in going on my own in 70/71 in the River End then the Barclay and finally became a South Stand season ticket holder until I moved to Bristol in 1990.

In the meantime have been a regular home and away attender and renewed my season ticket 5years ago.

Tried watching Rovers and BRFC couple of times and was very bored, I am however a Bristol Rugby Season Ticket holder and found it very strange the first time that I started chanting Bristol at the rugby and have also been member of Gloucestershire CC.

I still wear my birthday present scarf from 1967 although it is becoming a little threadbare now!

My first team is Oxford, born there been known to wear my Oxford shirt in the Barclay in the past. Moved here in 1970''s and my first Norwich game was in 1977.

I''ve had years where I traveled to watch Oxford and Norwich in the same season, that all changed with work and other commitments.

If we play Oxford I''m afraid it''s always Oxford first for me.

[quote user="Indy"]My first team is Oxford, born there been known to wear my Oxford shirt in the Barclay in the past. Moved here in 1970''s and my first Norwich game was in 1977.

I''ve had years where I traveled to watch Oxford and Norwich in the same season, that all changed with work and other commitments.

If we play Oxford I''m afraid it''s always Oxford first for me.[/quote]Good man !

Me 4th generation, born on Pound Lane, not literally obviously! Have installed a 5th generation ST holder and will soon be adding a new generation to the fold! OTBC,you can change your religion bit you can never ever change your football team!!

Wow, a thread that has not been derailed and one that has brought me out if self-imposed exile!

Born 59 and like Crafty, born in Drayton. First game 1969 ( just wish I knew who we were playing but know Curran was our number 9) and I stood on a box my dad made in the South stand. Grandad also a supporter.

But have lived up north (outside Shipley) for a long, long time so rarely get chance to go to home matches but I do from time to time.

And my eldest son is a supporter and the support will go on hopefully into a 5th generation. OTBC.

Great Thread, 1st game in 67 Bury at home 1-0 Terry Alcock, apparently I was bit confused because I thought we were playing Bury St Edmunds!, used get taken to a home match once a season as a birthday treat.

Started in going on my own in 70/71 in the River End then the Barclay and finally became a South Stand season ticket holder until I moved to Bristol in 1990.

In the meantime have been a regular home and away attender and renewed my season ticket 5years ago.

Tried watching Rovers and BRFC couple of times and was very bored, I am however a Bristol Rugby Season Ticket holder and found it very strange the first time that I started chanting Bristol at the rugby and have also been member of Gloucestershire CC.

I still wear my birthday present scarf from 1967 although it is becoming a little threadbare now!

Gloucestershire la la la! My boy plays his cricket at Neville road. It is odd to shout for Bristol rugby too!

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Drove the 30 miles up the A420 to Oxford just to meet my boyhood hero Hughie Curran, he works there as a park & ride attendant [/quote]

When I was at high school, I used to go on the train to Oxford and stay with my auntie in Old Marston, over the weekend, just down the hill from the manor ground.

The good thing at the time was the club bar and lounge was just a few portacabins joined together and the players and families would come in after the game. I had many a conversation with Jim Smith and Maurice Evans, they used to take time to chat to all the supporters. Got to meet Aldridge, Houghton.

Yep. Not from Norwich and only have a tenuous link to Norfolk, but chose City when I was a kid. Trying to be different to all the other kids at school. Stuck with City through thick, thin and very thin.

[quote user="morty"]Born in Glasgow and refused to take part in the "Oh you''re a protestant, so you must be a Rangers fan" nonsense. So grew up actually not liking football very much.First took an interest when I was posted to RAF Coltishall in the early 90''s and started going to Carrow road.So seeing as I had never watched or supported another football team, City definitely 1st for me![/quote]and me

Have always been a Norwich fan, my Dad took me to my first game when I was about 12 and I got the bug. As soon as I left school and got my first job at Norwich Union I got my first season ticket with friends in the family area in the South Stand.

Used to be a regular away fan in my younger days too, used to be safe to hitch to some of the games in those days but remember one coach trip where we missed our coach home and the local police felt sorry for us & put us up in one of their reception rooms and made us tea and bacon rolls in the morning before driving my friend and me to the train station, that story made the pinkun and I still have the article that I cut out though its a bit faded now lol

Moved away with my job to the Midlands for 12 years when I only made mainly away games in the area and a few home games when visiting family but really missed the football

As soon as I moved back to Norwich in 1990 the first thing I did was get a season ticket in the main stand and had Ive a season ticket ever since

Enjoyed reading everyone''s stories, great thread Eddie

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Morty wrote;

And you have to live there to really see the bigotry that surrounds it all.

The religious bigotry means more to a lot, than the actual football does.

Concur, I came from the East where the bigotry existed but no where near the same intensity, and I heard a true story where 2 workmates (1 Celtic, I Rangers) had a fight after a match and one bit the others ear off, were crazy times and the bigotry still exists today, the one thing i would change about Scotland if I could.[/quote]

A few years ago, we went to a Rangers v Dundee game at Ibrox. I had never experienced anything like the atmosphere before, during and after the game. It was awful and something I will never forget.

I am Norfolk born and bred (as was my father and his father). I have been on board since 1963 and my son, aged 25, has completed 18 years as a season ticket holder. My grandson (he will be two in April) has been on the season ticket waiting list for a year (currently 735th in the queue).

[quote user="morty"]Born in Glasgow and refused to take part in the "Oh you''re a protestant, so you must be a Rangers fan" nonsense. So grew up actually not liking football very much.First took an interest when I was posted to RAF Coltishall in the early 90''s and started going to Carrow road.So seeing as I had never watched or supported another football team, City definitely 1st for me![/quote]I shall add that my two sons were born in the old Norfolk and Norwich and are both season ticket holders, and I have also converted my girlfriend to a fan since she moved to Norwich from London!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.[/quote]This is a good thread Nutty. ( By the way I''ve been going a week longer than you so I guess I must be a better supporter [;)] )Interesting point you make about people moving to Norfolk from elsewhere becoming fully fledged Norwich fans. However lovely NCFC is, and it isn''t anywhere near as bad as some of us make out on here, I couldn''t do that. For instance if I''d been born in Liverpool and supported a team from that city, even Tranmere, they would be my first love, Sure I''d probably go to Carrow Rd now and again but it wouldn''t hold same interest to me unless my team provided the opposition.Each to their own but if you support the team where you were born that''s lifelong and outsiders I think can never feel quite the same intensity.[/quote]Unsurprisingly, I disagree[;)][/quote]Not agreeing with Morty, but I also disagree!

[quote user="ricardo"]I can''t remember my first game at Carrow Rd. Too far back in the mists of time I suppose but it was certainly before the end of food rationing WW2. [/quote]You is well old!  [:P]

[quote user="me tarzan me cold"][quote user="morty"]Born in Glasgow and refused to take part in the "Oh you''re a protestant, so you must be a Rangers fan" nonsense. So grew up actually not liking football very much.First took an interest when I was posted to RAF Coltishall in the early 90''s and started going to Carrow road.So seeing as I had never watched or supported another football team, City definitely 1st for me![/quote]and me[/quote][^o)]

Born in Norwich in, er? 1970, and was taken to Carrow Road by my dad around ''75 ''76 which I sadly can''t remember. My first proper memories were fellow fans climbing on the barclay roof and falling though it...players like Boyer, Neighbour, Paddon and co'' and a certain world cup winner and scorer that gave me the illusion we were the best team in the world. I was right. Justin Fashanu was my first real hero, but by then my mum had up sticks and had moved me to that there London. The Norfolk accent disappeared in weeks and I now have this dire, Dyer effort of a drawl...my love for my team did not fade however...even with growing up in deepest Millwall/Charlton territory and the lure of the big glory teams around and about...I think it was all rather character building.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]What''s your backstory Nutty?  When was your first game?  Were any generations of your family before you, Norwich supporters?[/quote]
The back story is a bit complicated ''slim. I was brought up by my mum and grandparents. My Grandmother followed the fortunes and had been to games when she was younger. She used to talk of a player called Percy Varco who I think Ricardo used to watch.[;)] My mum was never really a football fan. So with no one to take me and no real football talk in the house the world cup in 1966 was my real introduction to the professional game. I remember watching all the matches with my nan and she enjoyed them even more that the wrestling! Our next door neighbour took me to the Sheff Wed game 11th March 1967. How many of you stood in your biggest crowd on your debut game? 42,000 in carra that day and our first game on MOTD. I did intend to make a thread about it next month but I''ll add the video here so you youngsters can see what Carrow Road looked like full[;)]
So that was my first game and after that I used to go on my own and meet friends from school there if they went. It was two bob to go through the boys turnstile in the river end or half a crown for the Barclay. 
I got to know my Dad after I left school and he was a fan. In fact he invested a little at the time the blankets went round in the mid fifties. He didn''t still go to games then though he still followed the fortunes.
I took Duncan for the first time when he was five. He was under threat not to play up! But to be fair he didn''t even though it was a 0-0 draw against West Ham. So I soon got him a season ticket and we went to Wembley together in 1985. My daughter Helen was a big a fan but circumstances were different because I was working most Saturdays. But I took her through from the late 90s to the play-off season and was proud to be at the Millennium final against Brum with the pair of them. Now my two grandsons share my old seat in the Barclay. They were on the list for just over a year Webbo. But it helped that I didn''t need seats together I just moved from beside my kids to another seat. But it was becoming to difficult for me and i''m now in the blankets with my Bovril. Highlight for me was 2015 at Wembley with both my kids and the two eldest grandkids. You may have seen us all on Look East! Was a great day[;)]
Far too much else to tell you. Maybe I''ll return with part two...