Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Captain

KeiranShikari wrote:

Klose, Howson, Tettey, O''Neil or perhaps Naismith.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Klose, Howson & Tettey are good players. Would they be burdened with the captaincy ? I for one do not want anything distracting these three ?

O''Neil & Naismith - if you give someone the captaincy you have to play them - these 2 will be keeping better players out of the team.

Naismith''s involvement in the team last season may have already cost us our premiership status. If he was to be made captain - kiss goodbye to  promotion.

Howson appears to be a popular choice, although he never comes across as captain material judged on his somewhat stilted, unimpressive media interviews.

Kloser seems the perfect choice both in his playing style and also in his personality. Would also command the respect of the other players were he to stay.

Be such a huge plus for us if he stays.

Martin no doubt will be a big player for team ethos but I feel his role will be from the bench we need to improve our first 11. Pinto is our new right back and I hope new centre backs come in, especially if klose leaves.

Howson is a good shout, youngest captain at Leeds and I think he is a Better prospect than RM for our efforts to go forward to return and be a better team.

It was clear on many occasions last season that we severely lacked leadership on the pitch - someone when things aren''t going your way picks up the game by the scuff of the neck and lifts the team and importantly the crowd. Grant Holt was fantastic at this either through a ''robust'' challenge, chasing down a lost cause, gesturing to the crowd, etc.

To be a leader of the pitch you don''t necessarily need to be the captain - but it tends to be those players with those attributes that get the arm band - they are leaders of men and they react to and follow them by example.

This is why I was angry 3 years ago when Russell Martin was given the armband in the first place - a nice guy undoubtedly, articulate yes, writes an article in the EDP everyday - definately !! - but does he have the attributes to lift the players on the pitch when they need it most, get the crowd going etc - no he definately hasn''t and never has.

Out of the current crop of players we have I believe O''Neil is closest to having these attributes (but will he play everyday). Jonny Howson is a good call and deservedly POTS in my view - but too quiet on the pitch for my liking. Tim Klose, hopefully if he is here next year, maybe haven''t seen enough of him to make an informed opinion of what will be needed in the long ang tough slog of the championship.

Going by the personality, attributes, and demands of the manager I would like someone like him leading the team on the pitch - perhaps he is already in the market for more players of this ilk - let hope so as we need them..

Anyone that knows him will understand why he is the club captain, and for those reasons he should remain captain

Perhaps the Captain should be a new signing, someone fresh to shake things up a bit?

Apples

Klose for me one of first names on the team sheet

i always think a captain is a player has to be one of your best players

can you imagine Russell martin having a go at a player for making a mistake !

dont really want to go there Russ would be the reply

[quote user="JF"]Anyone that knows him will understand why he is the club captain, and for those reasons he should remain captain[/quote]

JF,

I agree entirely.

For those that don''t know him I can understand why they think differently and is he the greatest talisman on the pitch, and by that I mean someone such as Grant Holt, possibly not, but I can assure those who think he doesn''t call players out when needed, that he does, he may not do it in front 27,000 fans but he does.

Most of his ''captain''s duties are performed quietly but incredibly well and a good captain will have no issues being captain of a team with 11 leaders on the pitch.

In my rugby playing days (at a reasonable level) I was captain of the team and played in the forwards but I often delegated another forward to be the pack leader, it worked and worked well.

The captain is the voice of the manager on and off the pitch and the voice of the team to the manager on and off the pitc. On the pitch, the captain ensures the manager''s instructions are implemented, he needs to see the big picture. Off the pitch, there are many more responsibilities to being a captain and IMO, given our current squad, there is noone more suited than RM for this role

Sorry JF and Ray - Russell Marting shouldn''t even be on the pitch next year let alone Captain.

So you know him - good for you - as said he comes across as being a decent chap and his heart is in the right place with regards to NCFC - great - you could put most of of us in that category as well.

Mine and most others people opinions are bourne from what we see on the pitch - and we have done over the past 3 years (so not just a knee jerk reaction/opinion) - and he isn''t a leader which is what we so desperately need next year (a few of them to be honest..)

Fine - give him a ceremonial ''Club Captain'' title if you want but 1st Team Captain - no way ....

but I can assure those who think he doesn''t call players out when needed, that he does, he may not do it in front 27,000 fans but he does.

thats the problem and makes him weak in my eyes

how can you call players out if you are making more mistakes on the pitch than they are ??

[quote user="norfolkngood"]but I can assure those who think he doesn''t call players out when needed, that he does, he may not do it in front 27,000 fans but he does.

thats the problem and makes him weak in my eyes

how can you call players out if you are making more mistakes on the pitch than they are ??[/quote]

Completely agree. Going home and writing a stiffly-worded letter to the miscreant really doesn''t cut it. The captain has to show leadership qualities on the field in the heat of battle. Grant Holt did that in spades. For all his abilities I dont see our current Captain doing that.

norfolkngood,

We obviously see things diffrently, yes he makes mistakes, and yes being a defender those mistakes tend to be more costly, however imo he makes no more than others and less than many and has often covered for others'' mistakes and I know this has been trotted out many times previously, but there are many managers, including international managers, who rate what he does, plus he was selected by his peers in the Championship team of the year 12 months ago, surely these facts have some merit.

If a player makes a mistake then the reason for the mistake needs to be assessed, if he was simply beaten by the oppo because that is what they are paid to do and he did it well, then little point berating that individual, it would imo be counter productive. If it was because the player wasn''t concentrating or wasn''t following team orders. etc. then that''s a diffrent kettle of fish and if the player is performing to his best but is struggling because his best isn''t cutting it, then again any berating would be counter productive, and so it goes on.

If we are looking for a screamer and shouter on the pitch, then I agree, RM probably isn''t your man, but there are many ways to skin a cat (apparently never tried it myself).

I don''t have much of a problem with him being captain as such - although I guess it could be argued he didn''t appear to be able to gee his team mates up enough when it mattered. Of course each player has their own responsibility to get the job done but then we all know that certain players can be an inspiration on the pitch. He probably isn''t one of those but we may not have better anyway.

I think the bigger issue for me is whether being captain puts him at an advantage for being selected when his performances may not warrant it. I think that may have been the case a few times over the season.

Russell Martin exemplifies professionalism & is an ideal ''Club Captain''. On the pitch, we need a new term of office. Howson seems dry & bored in interviews. O''Neill may not play every game & Klose we barely know yet, let alone appoint him Captain.

On the basis we need a ''new broom to sweep clean'', maybe an outsider should be recruited for that very purpose; his leadership qualities.

PS: Here''s a question: Which would perform better? Last year''s starting 11 or Grant Holt + 10 others? I''d go for the latter every time!...

Norfolk Mustard,

I agree, a few more Grant Holt types with ''stand up and be counted'' attributes on the pitch, or certainly the ''stand up and be counted'' attributes that are glaringly public would be fantastic, it doesn''t however mean they would make good captains and that is my point, the player who ticks most boxes is currently RM. Of course he may not even be here next season, but assuming he is and if the manager, like many others, likes what he brings and expects to continue to play him, then I suspect he will remain captain.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Russell Martin exemplifies professionalism & is an ideal ''Club Captain''. On the pitch, we need a new term of office. Howson seems dry & bored in interviews. O''Neill may not play every game & Klose we barely know yet, let alone appoint him Captain.

On the basis we need a ''new broom to sweep clean'', maybe an outsider should be recruited for that very purpose; his leadership qualities.

PS: Here''s a question: Which would perform better? Last year''s starting 11 or Grant Holt + 10 others? I''d go for the latter every time!...[/quote]

Agreed Mustard

I think we need to build for the future and Alex needs to make a step change to confirm that a new approach is going to be the strategy here. And what better way than to start with the supposed mouthpiece of the playing squad. Whilst Russ is around we will continually look backwards not forwards. But many thanks for the memories Russ - good luck with the future in the sports media world!

I have nothing against Russ as a person but he is now too slow for a right back, and as a centre half, he cannot head the ball. Whilst the former may not be too important in the championship compared to the Prem, the latter is going to be a massive pre-requisite in the Champs where route one will be used by many teams. He also has proven not to be a captain who can change the pattern of a match. We do need someone like Holty who could effect the path of a game by his commitment or otherwise.

Ray I agree that a Captain shouldn''t shout and berate players on the pitch if they make a mistake - that done in public in any walk of life tends to be incredibly counterproductive and would put the individual more under pressure making another mistake more likely not less.

The main attribute I personally want from the Captain of my football team is leadership (yes you have stated this comes in many guises and you are correct). However I believe a captain should lead by example on the pitch - action speaks much louder than words. For all the qualities RM has this isn''t one of them. A good Captain isn''t necessary the best player but is one (in my view as said on another post) grabs the game by the scuff of the neck when needed, which lifts the crowd and then the rest of the team and tries to change the momentum of the game. RM just isn''t that type of player - too many times last year (and all the seasons he has been Captain for that matter) disappears in to his shell along with alot of the other players when things aren''t going well.

I know we have ''crossed swords'' on this topic in the past and you are unlikely to change your view and defend RM to the hilt which is admirable - but as many an independent commentator said about NCFC on to many occasions this season - we lacked leaders on the pitch - that in my view HAS to be spearheaded and come from the Captain of the side.

The Judge,

Not too much to disagree with in your last post, other than we obviously see a different RM performance, insomuch I believe he performs as well as most on the pitch, I know many disagree but many agree too, particularly those that count.

Re leaders on the pitch, I agree, we need more, but this does not always have to come from the captain, to paraphrase myself, we could do with a few more to ''stand up and be counted''.

Simple Fact will RM. Be a starter?

Pinto at right back and two other centre halves. Therefore RM on the bench and not captain on the pitch.

Klose, or if he leaves, certainly Howson.

It''ll be Martin though, of course