Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

bring ruddy back

GK needs protection not back four who can not mark watch ball all the time.

AN better sort this mess out now !

Well, watching this cr@p , it doesn''t matter who''s in goal...he''ll concede! We are terrible and staring relegation in the face

i rate rudd, but ruddy has been here before, neil is putting too much expectation on a young goalkeeper whos not been anywhere near this level of pressure beforeruddy is a man in footballing terms, rudd a teen

[quote user="iron_stan"]rudd is a promising talent but hes not experienced enough to cope with a relegation battle in the top flight

[/quote]

Just no. Rudd all the way.

It has to be Ruddy for me. He''s served his time for some bad errors but will come back stronger.In all honesty I have seen nothing from Rudd that totally convinces me that he''s any better than Ruddy.

Having Joe Hart, Ter Stegan or David Seaman in goal right now would make no difference. Rudd has hardly done much wrong. Sadly it''s the guys in front of him leaving him horrifically exposed at times which has done the damage

[quote user="AJ"]Having Joe Hart, Ter Stegan or David Seaman in goal right now would make no difference. Rudd has hardly done much wrong. Sadly it''s the guys in front of him leaving him horrifically exposed at times which has done the damage[/quote]

Sadly I am beginning to think maybe he is part of the problem in regards the back four. As a goalkeeper he should be commanding and organising the defence, something he does not appear to be doing.

He is now a Premiership goalkeeper and again I sadly believe that tonight none of the goalkeepers you mention would have palmed the ball straight back into the 6 yard box, ( certainly not twice ), they would have got the ball out wide. Had Ruddy done that he would have been crucified on here and despite what is being said about our back 4 this was not happening with Ruddy in goal.

If Ruddy is not the answer then I really believe we should have signed a top goalkeeper. Ruddy not being the answer would make neither of our goalkeepers ( although very good ) not top goalkeepers.

Yes let''s put Ruddy back in, his experience led to brilliant decision making on his part earlier in the season. Bassong, Martin, Bennett and Klose should not need constant organising from the goalkeeper. In fact we were conceding more goals from corners and set pieces when Ruddy was in goal, the very time you would expect the keeper to help get things organised. No keeper will get a defence organised in open play to any significant extent.

Can''t quite follow the idea that changing back to Ruddy would improve things.  To me it looks as if our defenders and lack of midfield cover is the problem. Perhaps if we defended a bit higher up the pitch and stayed a bit more compact as a team, the gaping holes might disappear and give whoever is in goal a bit more protection.

Not a great fan of Ruddy but even less so of Rudd. He''s pretty uninspiring.

Words I never thought I''d say. I completely agree with LDC!

I don''t see how any of the current issues are directly attributable to Rudd and the issues are further up the pitch. For the first two goals, he''s made two good saves (which he''s never going to be able to hold) and you''re entitled to expect your defenders to give you a hand in those circumstances.

Ruddy is definitely susceptible to low efforts and it''s debatable whether he would have actually saved either. His performance in the cup tie against Man City also didn''t give me any cause to think he should be coming back into the side any time soon.

playing an inexperienced youngster with potential in this sort of season might just see the potential beaten out of him, confidence can easily be knocked, especially when youve 27000 booingruddys been there and seen it before, theres not a lot between them at this point, but rudds still a kid, one thing about ruddy is hes physically more intimidating than rudd, when he shouts the players take notice, and hes seen it all before

im not a big ruddy fan, but you dont blood a young keeper in a relegation season when youve got an experienced player who was not long ago being touted as the main rival to englands no1

I think Rudd should be ''rested'' for a while. Funny how the blaming the defence is an excuse for Rudd whereas it wasn''t for Ruddy yet it''s the exact same personnel. If anything Ruddy had the worst deal with the likes of Martin and Whitaker in front of him.Neither of them would get in many Premier League teams as it happens.

So would we have conceded less than three last night if Ruddy was in goal?, in my opinion no, equally I think we would have conceded at least five if he was in goal against Liverpool. Rudd has not really done a lot wrong, people talk about "experience" yet it was the experienced Robby Brady that headed his clearance back into the danger area in the last minute of the game against Liverpool, rather than clearing his lines.........

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Rudd has not really done a lot wrong, people talk about "experience" yet it was the experienced Robby Brady that headed his clearance back into the danger area in the last minute of the game against Liverpool, rather than clearing his lines.........[/quote]So all the goals Ruddy let in we''re entirely down to him then?

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]From my perspective Rudd has not done a lot wrong, Ruddy was dropped because of the mistakes he was making, if Rudd was at fault or making mistakes I would agree with the OP, he is not, so I don`t agree........[/quote]

Please dont bite my head off but he is a PL goalkeeper ie one of the top 20 goalkeepers in England ( and Wales if you count Swansea ). I would therfore dispute that he did nothing wrong last night as the first 2 goals came from him getting strong hands to the ball but instead of getting it out wide managed to palm it straight to an incoming player. He was also beaten ( from distance ) at his near post by a shot that hit the post.

Do I think Ruddy is the answer ? not sure but the likes of Hart improved beyond recognition after being dropped. What I do know is we have conceded 14 goals in our last 4 league games nearly a third of the goals we have conceded in the rest of the season and 8 goals at home almost half of our total in the league at home so something is wrong and Ruddy would have been shot to bits on here if he had been in goal.

This is the trouble with this whole thread it is centered around goals conceded which is a simplistic arguement. Ruddy was dropped for making mistakes, Rudd has made few mistakes so I see no reason for him to be dropped. My question was really trying to see what difference people think Ruddy would have made last night and against Liverpool, for me the answer is none. Now if somebody wants to come up with something other than an opinion based on age, number of games played or goals that demonstrates that Ruddy is a better keeper in respect of his technical ability, decision making etc then I amy change my view, but as it stands the arguements seem to be we have concedeed a few, he is young lets drop him, which I do not agree with........

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]This is the trouble with this whole thread it is centered around goals conceded which is a simplistic arguement. Ruddy was dropped for making mistakes, Rudd has made few mistakes so I see no reason for him to be dropped. My question was really trying to see what difference people think Ruddy would have made last night and against Liverpool, for me the answer is none. Now if somebody wants to come up with something other than an opinion based on age, number of games played or goals that demonstrates that Ruddy is a better keeper in respect of his technical ability, decision making etc then I amy change my view, but as it stands the arguements seem to be we have concedeed a few, he is young lets drop him, which I do not agree with........[/quote]

Nobody can, we will never know. What we can say is that Ruddy played with what is conceded on here as a worse defence in front of him and Newcastle apart nobody scored loads past us. You can use your argument of goals conceded to say what ever you want. At Southampton they were conceding goals. Fraser Forster comes in and concedes none in the 4 games he has played. I would say the fact he has not conceded makes him a better goalkeeper. Can you be a top striker if you do not score goals ?

I am not saying Ruddy is better my point unfortunately is we have 2 good goalkeepers but in the PL you need a top goalkeeper - do we have one of those ?

We''ll b back : he did push the ball well wide, but our defender (Bassong in this case) was slower to react than Alli (who is a top, top player). I''m not sure Ruddy would have been agile enough to make the original save.

The shot that beat him at the near post hit the post; I''m not sure it would have got between him & the post - as was the case with Kane''s shot which hit the far post, again his hand was very close & I suspect would have stopped a goal bound shot. I can''t remember the shot you refer to but I don''t remember any long range shots beating him comprehensively.

I have seen nothing to blame him for & the suggestion that Ruddy should replace him on the grounds he has magically recaptured his form of a few years ago is based on absolutely nothing.

Some people seem to prefer Ruddy because he''s big. There''s a lot more to it than that.

Ruddy is the better goalkeeper who was just going through a bad spell. Unfortunately we''re now in the situation of dropping Rudd and potentially knocking his confidence or sticking with him and hoping games and experience develop him. He''s not a youngster anymore though - either way, we need to make a choice (maybe we have already in Rudd) and stick with it.