Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Team for Villa

Here''s my claim.

I think with Villas defensive frailties our best approach to this game is an attacking one. Like I have said all along I can see Mbok being more effective behind a pacy striker. In Bamford we now have one.

..................................Rudd....................................

Whittaker.......Klosse......Bennett.......Olsson

Redmond....Hoolahan......Howson......Brady

Mbokai.............

.............Bamford

Subs........

Ruddy

Tettey

Bassong

O''Neil

Jerome

Jarvis

Pinto

OP that midfield is so lightweight, Villa would walk straight through the middle of it.  Tettey is banned anyway and you''ve left O''Neil on the bench.  Mbokani playing off Bamford?  Back to the drawing board with respect.

Thecanaryfan,

Your team has 5 changes from last time out. I thought in general ''we'' were critical of too many changes from game to game.

I''m going for a starting 11 with only 2 changes;

Rudd

Martin

Klose

Bassong

Olssen

Redmond

Howson

Mulumbu

Brady

Naismith

Mbokani

[quote user="Ray"]Thecanaryfan,

Your team has 5 changes from last time out. I thought in general ''we'' were critical of too many changes from game to game.

I''m going for a starting 11 with only 2 changes;

Rudd

Martin

Klose

Bassong

Olssen

Redmond

Howson

Mulumbu

Brady

Naismith

Mbokani[/quote]Basically the same - except Brady for Olssen at left back, to get Wes in as one of the front 4  (4-2-3-1). Possibly O''Neill for either Mulumbu or Howson?

Question - Goalkeeper A plays 10 games and concedes 24 goals; Goalkeeper B plays 14 games and concedes 17 goals. Which one do you pick?

It depends: goalkeeper A plays 10 games, concedes 24 & prevents another 10; goalkeeper B plays 14 games & concedes 17, 5 of which goalkeeper A would have saved.

Which one do you pick?

Wow what a side, Whittaker back in, Hoolahan and Howson In centre midfield and M''Bokani playing off the striker. For real ???

For me....

In goal - Ruddy,

Back 4 - Martin, Bennett, Klose, Brady

Holding - Howson & O''Neil

Wide - Redmond & Wes

Attacking - Naismith

Striker - Mbokani

Subs - Rudd, Bassong, Pinto, Mullumbu, Bamford, Jerome & Dorrans

Rudd

Wisdom Klose Bennett Brady

ONeil Dorrans

Naismith Hoolahan Bamford

Mbokani

Thought Howson was poor last weekend and maybe needs a rest. Bench from Ruddy Martin Jerome Redmond Howson Ollsen Ofoe Bassong Pinto

Rudd

Wisdom Klose Bassong Olsson

Howson O''Neil

Naismith Hoolahan Brady

Mbokani

For me Wes has to start but I''d like to see Redmond in their somewhere. Where? Wisdom won''t start tomorrow and the above team still leaves the RB position exposed - when will this ongoing problem be resolved? Jarvis on the right? AN tried Mulumbu against Spurs and he might get the nod tomorrow. Perhaps a run of games might get Mulumbu up to speed as this is a problem area too. I feel disappointed for Ryan Bennett - he seems to have fallen out of favour since Bournemouth. Rudd should still start. Hope to see Bamford get at least 20mins tomorrow.

For the team above to function, Brady and Howson would need to work primarily in a defensive formation. Villa are at home and desperate for a win. At the very least keep it level up to 60mins and release Redmond & Bamford to kill them off and Mulumbu or Odjidja-Ofoe to protect the back four. A "must-not-lose" game! A composed performance and 3 points would be brilliant. I don''t expect a clean sheet so keep the heads if we concede and we should claim the points.

Rudd

Wisdom (Sweeper)

Pinto. Bennett. Klose. Brady

ONeil

Naismith. Hoolahan Bamford

Mbokani

Playing 5 at the back would allow Pinto and Brady to get forward. Could equally be Martin in place of wisdom.

The three midfielders would be interchangeable and cause lots of problems going foward.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I''m surprised to see so many shouts for O''Neil to start. Short memories on this forum. And is he better than Dorrans or Mulumbu?[/quote]

Short memories!?

Says the bloke who picks a suspended tettey on the bench, forgets we ever signed Naismith and forgets how bad Whittaker is and puts straight in the side from the choice of our 2 RBs. Glad you''re not picking the team each week. Jesus special person alert!

With villa being sooo poor without strikers with ayew suspended and gestede out injured.

I''d go with a 3-5-2 because they won''t score so 3 at the back won''t matter. Push pinto and Brady up the pitch as attacking full backs for confidence reasons

Rudd

Bennett klose bassong

Pinto Howson mulumbu oniell Brady

Naismith

Mbokani/bamford (flip a coin for which one)

This is a pretty poor Villa side who have shown signs of improvement under the new manager but who are still likely to lack quality and be fragile.

I believe such an important game, and an away game at the mighty Villa Park, demands experience. Old heads in familiar roles

Ruddy (experience)

Martin (experience) Pinto would be an unnecessary risk, imo.

Bassong (experience although probably prefer Bennett)

Klose (seems to be reading the situation quickly by his comments.)

Olsson (tried and tested)

O''Neil or Mulumbu (the manager will be aware of the issues with these two of late and will assess the best option)

Hoolahan, Howson Naismith Brady (use his talents where they are more effective)

Mbokani (the man in possession.)

There is a case for Redmond''s pace as the Villa defence is slow.

With Bamford and Redmond ready should we go behind.

Wisdom (versatile) if we are leading @ say 60mins.

O''Neill/Mulumbu .... ditto.

I always feel that the subs bench is nearly as important as the starting eleven, if used properly so feel that there is a need to include some of the bench at least when selecting any team.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I''m surprised to see so many shouts for O''Neil to start. Short memories on this forum. And is he better than Dorrans or Mulumbu?[/quote]Yes, and they way they have been playing lately, I am better than Dorrans and Mulumbu.

I don''t see a place for Mbokani today. Bamford up top and Naismith just behind. It''s time for something different after the indifference of the last few weeks in that those forwards selected have failed to score regularly. Against Spurs we played hoofball from the keeper every time - it''s time to bring in some pace a guile, and hopefully Bamford has both.

Rudd

Martin - Bennett - Klose - Olsson

Howson - O''Neil-Mulumbu-Brady

Naismith

Mbokani

Personally I thought Howson was our best player last week showing quite a lot of grit and battle in midfield.

Mulumbu and Rudd were poor once again but the manager decided to bring in a new reserve striker and a 4th right back (who''s somehow worse than Whittaker despite costing £2.5m) rather than upgrade these two areas so I would stick with them.

I think Naismith and Mbokani showed glimpses of forming a good partnership against Liverpool as well so I think that may be a potent threat against weaker opposition.

I would like Hoolahan and Jarvis in the side too but think we will need need the defensive steel that O''Neil and Mulumbu can provide as well.

Will be interesting if AN plays Pinto or not.

On one hand this may be the perfect game for him to attack and really contribute to the team, on the other hand Agbonlahor is their only real threat besides Gil. (though he may play upfront instead of the left).

I think we should go for a similar set up to when we play Sunderland and the start of the season when we where attacking well and closing down from the front and when we seemingly only conceded through single individual mistakes and not total defensive collapses so I''m going to go for:

Ruddy;

Pinto, Klose, Bassong, Brady;

O''Neil, Howson;

Redmond, Hoolahan, Naismith;

Jerome.

I feel that when Jerome plays he harasses the CB who make mistakes and with the 3 in behind them we could make the most of those mistakes and with the full backs bombing forward there could be 4 players in the box to take advantage of them. I see our best attribute being our attacking play so we should make the most of it, especially against a side like Aston villa who have struggled the whole season, and a win would totally finish any lingering hope for them. (In turn this could help us a if they had no pressure on them they could even take points off of other teams around us, as has been the case with other seemingly relegated teams)

Don''t care who plays, it''s about how they play, if they start slowly it will remain like that. I want them to start with loads of energy, with pressing and a high workrate.