Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The longer it goes on..

The longer we go without even a hint of a decent signing the more worrying it has to be. Clearly the signings we first identified are not coming. All we hear about is Brady - who doesn''t thrill me tbh and no news regarding serious improvements to the squad which we need, esp in defence, to avoid a real struggle.

People call you a pant wetter for airing doubts. But the silence seem ominous to me...three weeks to go and not even a hint of a decent signing that really improves the team.

There are as many disadvantages to advantages of doing business to early in the transfer window. Players become available all the time and going too soon means potentially missing out.

Norwich have to be a bit smart this window, they are in a market that is flooded with cash, but aren''t that wealthy themselves. If they pile in too early on targets other teams will just out bid them and they will lose out completely.

It is now beyond worrying never before have we had such a poor window so far in the window.

We have had many of these threads on all the forums clearly there is a problem but as the club aren''t communicating with the fans on this then we anxiety will only grow.

Most of these threads are started by you, though!

The truth is that the majority can see/understand that the club knows the gaps that need filling and will be working on things, so continually bleating about a lack of moves is all rather pointless. Things will undoubtedly happen, and when they are reqdy, not before.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]The longer we go without even a hint of a decent signing the more worrying it has to be. Clearly the signings we first identified are not coming. All we hear about is Brady - who doesn''t thrill me tbh and no news regarding serious improvements to the squad which we need, esp in defence, to avoid a real struggle.

People call you a pant wetter for airing doubts. But the silence seem ominous to me...three weeks to go and not even a hint of a decent signing that really improves the team.[/quote]

Just because news isn''t being splashed all over Twitter, it doesn''t mean that nothings going on.

Watford and Bournemouth are splashing the cash like its going out of fashion. Could be a QPR situation for both of them, we arent spending anything they are gambling like QPR we are like rabbits in the head lights.

We are a sure thing to go down unfortunately they may drop like a stone or may buy wisely time will tell

I posted at the start of the window that the club won''t be spending large sums this time around. We have our best ever squad going into a Premiership season but we do need investment in the key areas of central defence, full backs and forwards with a third choice keeper.

Brady is surely not worth more than £6 million maximum and possibly the Noone rumour is intended as a message to Hull as he would seem to be no improvement on what we already have. To stay up we need goals so it will. Be very interesting to see how RvW does this week in Austria.

Well spending is one thing, but spending wisely is another. I agree with the statement that we need to sign a central defender who''s got some pace...and some more flair in midfield, but not at any cost!

Especially the Brady saga has showed that we are not prepared to "over"spend...and I agree with our manager on this...

The frustrating thing is that I now fear that we will be left emptyhanded when the season actually starts...

I hope we maintain our sanity and keep our financial solvency. No need to spend £m''s for the sake of it. I hope Toffolo will be given a chance to impress rather the spending 7m on Brady. RvW would need a successful pre-season for me to be happy with his place in our squad. A goal and an assist is a perfect start to his possible re-integration.

The thing is that we, to all intents and purposes, were running a PL squad in the Champs - everyone knew our squad was the strongest, it was just a matter of working out how to best utilise the players and get them going. So starting from that relatively strong base, we don''t need loads of players as perhaps Watford and Bournemouth do.

We were told a while back by Charlie Wyatt, who''s normally reliable, that we were after 6 signings including the two we''d already made in Dorrans and Mulumbu, and that made good sense. We now need 4, one of which is a keeper; my guess is the other three would be a cb (eg van Dijk from Celtic), lb/m (eg Brady) and a striker - though perhaps we need a leaver there before we''d get in a new guy ( and who knows, could RvW be that ''new'' signing?!).

So we don''t need loads of players, and there is still plenty of time to get them - we''d presumably like them in sooner rather than later, though waiting a bit longer is that big a deal.

We all enjoyed a brilliant day out at Wembley that you think would have given Norwich fans a good summer. But no, a few weeks later some are running the club down. I have undoubted faith in Alex Neil and am very confident we''ll have a very capable and competitive squad come the end of the transfer window. Just relax.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]We all enjoyed a brilliant day out at Wembley that you think would have given Norwich fans a good summer. But no, a few weeks later some are running the club down. I have undoubted faith in Alex Neil and am very confident we''ll have a very capable and competitive squad come the end of the transfer window. Just relax.[/quote]I agree with that, Hooly, but with the caveat that if we get off to a poor start questions may be asked about whether any new signings (Mulumbu aside) had sufficient time to integrate into the squad.My take on the situation is as follows. Under Neil we were accruing points at a rate that would have seen us walk the Championship if he''d been there all season, and I think I''m right in saying that out of our 18-man squad for Wembley, Grabban is the only one with no top-flight experience. I''d expect to see us sign a CB, an FB and a CF before the window closes, but there''s more than enough quality in our squad for us to be competitive without the need for wholesale change or a Watford/Bournemouth-style panic splurge.

The down side of living in the mass communication age is that we all crave information NOW!!. It is hard for the club to maintain communication with the fans without giving to much away. I have no doubt there are loads of negotiations going on as we speak, and the club will inform us when there is something to inform us about.............

Exactly, I''d rather have Norwich just report the facts and make official signing announcements rather than have something like the stupid ''Boleyn Insider'' which is the bizarre idea of club sanctioned transfer rumours.

People moan when there are loads of transfer rumours and they moan when there aren''t.

Signings will be made, but don''t expect a huge amount of spending.

Worried - I think not.

Watford - 7 signings

Giedrius Arlauskis - GK - age 27 and has played 140 ish games in his entire career to date. Back up keeper. 20 of those for Lithuania - Free Transfer.

Sebastian Prödl - DF/DM - age 28 - Free transfer.

Matěj Vydra - Str - age 23 - rumoured to have cost £4million.

José Holebas - LB/LM - age 31 - rumoured £1.8million.

Étienne Capoue - DM - age 27 - rumoured £6.3million.

Valon Behrami - MF - age 30 - rumoured £3million.

Allan Nyom - RB - age 27 - undisclosed (can''t find a rumour!)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Watford_F.C._season)

So they have bought Vydra permanently, and effectively replaced their entire defensive department from what I can see. Capoue looks a good signing but they have paid out a decent amount for him. So far they have spent £12+million plus what Nyom cost them and the sums for the free transfers. Any in there that anyone would feel would improve our squad?

Bournemouth - 2 loans and 5 signings:

Artur Boruc - GK - age 35 - free transfer

Adam Federici - GK - age 30 - free transfer

Sylvain Distin - DF - age 37 - free transfer

Joshua King - Str/Winger - age 23 - says free transfer, tribunal?

Tyrone Mings - DF - age 22 - £8million (plus loan player)

Loan - Christian Atsu - RW - age 23.

Loan - Filippo Costa - LB - age 20.

Villa 5 signings:

Mark Bunn - GK - age 30 - free transfer

Micah Richards - DF - age 27 - free transfer

Scott Sinclair - Winger - age 26 - rumoured £2.5million

Idrissa Gueye - DM - age 25 - rumoured £9million

Jordan Amavi - LB - age 21 - rumoured £9million

Do people want me to look at any of the other sides?

I have to say, I sort of like what I see from our point of view. We could have signed the chap that AN turned down at the last minute, but the fact that he did tells me he knows what he is looking for and what he wants to add/bring to the team.

I look at some of the signings above and can''t help but feel even with the ones that look tempting, are they really any better than what we have?

You look across our team and you can see only one or two obvious positions that actually need strengthening.

I really like Nyom, Capoue and Behrami - cracking players although only Nyom would be in a position Norwich need to focus on.

Bournemouth''s signings look decent, builds into their strategy but some big gambles there. Would only take Federici to be back up to Ruddy.

Gueye and Amavi are the stand out signings out of all of them though - both Champions League quality players and excellent business by Villa. Will be interesting to see how they spend the £40m they are getting from Benteke and Delph (and how much of it they get to spend).

There isnt half some happy clappy, pie in the sky, cloud cuckoo land optimism on this thread.

We finished 3rd in the championship unless you have forgotten. We arent a premier league squad it needs investment and quickly or we are doomed I tell you doomed!

Dorrans and Mulumbu.. 2 very good additions to the squad...

i''m sure some people don''t know we''ve signed them!!!

more will follow and it wouldn''t suprise me if a deal hasn''t already been done and will be completed when they return from germany

If a deal has been done would be pointless to delay completion a week just because the squad are in Germany/Austria. You''d want the player out there ASAP, especially if there is a chance of getting them a game against Ausburg before the club return.

[quote user="Sir Anthony Blunt"]It is now beyond worrying never before have we had such a poor window so far in the window. [/quote]

What about the window when we didn''t buy anyone, that was poorer that this one.

Mulumbu is a great signing, Dorrans helped with the push but again wasn''t a massive driving force

This week AN will be away and discussions never happen quickly when we are away. So I expect very little this week and next week it will ramp up again.

But having said that behind closed doors with little communication to the media.

I would rather we had new signings moving in, VOO and Andreu are like new signings on the field but to the group they are well known.

I think there is no doubt some urgency and hopefully we can prioritise funding to certain players and positions that require it. For those that are going nowhere get out of the trap of just chasing and move forward.

[quote user="Sir Anthony Blunt"]

There isnt half some happy clappy, pie in the sky, cloud cuckoo land optimism on this thread.

We finished 3rd in the championship unless you have forgotten. We arent a premier league squad it needs investment and quickly or we are doomed I tell you doomed!

[/quote]Go for a walk, get away from the screen for a bit.

I think the club is probably acting very much like I do when I go to my local Tescos. I imagine McNally and Neil to be the sorts to go round several times, weighing up what to get from what''s available, drawing up a shortlist and making a careful choice. If an item of interest isn''t in then you''ve got to be patient and come back another day. You have to take your time if you want to grab yourself a decent checkout girl.

[quote user="93vintage"]I think the club is probably acting very much like I do when I go to my local Tescos. I imagine McNally and Neil to be the sorts to go round several times, weighing up what to get from what''s available, drawing up a shortlist and making a careful choice. If an item of interest isn''t in then you''ve got to be patient and come back another day. You have to take your time if you want to grab yourself a decent checkout girl.[/quote]

The problem is that some want them to get the big trolley and fill it up when it''s obvious that we only need a basket and we''ll be able to go through the 10 items or fewer checkout.