Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

OLSSON !

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]easy to forget the small tackles/tracking back he does and then point out the occasional error.

With the pass and ability he has he would be playing for a top 6 team if he didn''t make any mistakes[/quote]Isnt'' that precisely the point though GWOT ? 80% of Olsson''s game is highly competent, but the remaining 20% is error strewn, born most likely out of poor commitment, concentration and decision making. Unfortunately, even at top Champ level 20% is too high. Certainly in the Prem. It may well be that Garry Monk feels he can lessen that percentage , hence why he''s put in a bid.I''m not altogether sure that you make much of a case for Olsson by stating that none of the defence have covered themselves in glory, by the way !I just think that, in the bigger picture, 5m for him could be put to good use, as I have faith in Alex Neil to unearth some bargains, just as PL used to.

There is a lot of truth in this. At the end of season dinner, it was reported by the person sitting next to him that he was charming, very polite, and spent a lot of time saying how much he had enjoyed working under Allardyce.

When West Ham came in, I''m sure he would have wanted to go. Pushing the ref was pure frustration, and seemed out of character.

We will save a good salary, he will earn more . Be surprised if it doesn''t come off...we are probably trying to line up a replacement. Mings anyone?

Depends on how keen he is to stay or leave for me.

He does ok and we would need to spend a bit to improve upon him. However I do think his pace and swash buckling approach hides a series of faults that Whittaker is not forgiven.

His reputed attacking play is ineffective (even Whittaker has more assists, key passes and goals than Olsson) and his defensive errors are far more regular than suggest on this thread.

If he wants to stay then fantastic - always better to have some stability, but let him go if he wants to move; left back is not the most crucial position (promoted with tierney last time) and we have decent cover.

For the silly window £4m is at the very lowest end of acceptable fee.

19:43

Just seen this:

OLSSON TO SWANSEA?

Could Norwich defender Martin Olsson be on his way to Swansea? Sky sources understand the Welsh club have made a bid of around £3m for the Sweden international.

That figure better be a joke

It must be the opening bid.. I''m guessing we''ll do the usual dance and end up at an acceptable figure. McNally would tell them to p iss off for £3m

Being reported now that Neil Taylor set to sign for Palace, leaving a Swansea a left back short. So maybe something happening in the next couple of days.

Olsson is far better than many of you give him credit for. For part of this season he has been doing the work of two players, left midfield and left back.

Why do you think other clubs want him? West Ham United wanted him and now Swansea are after him. Cant be a duffer can he?

Miquel is a centre back, Toffolo needs time and some of you don''t rate Whittaker at right back yet alone left back.

Personally I wouldn''t sell him and as for valuation, anything less than £8m is a joke given that he has played in the Premiership for two clubs.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Given that we were "pondering a £4m bid" this morning it seems strange that sky are reporting a £3m bid now.[/quote]

Probably relied on out of date sources

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]£3M must be rejected out of hand ... That''s an insult. He''ll go I''m sure but not for pennies.[/quote]

Anything less than £8m for Olsson is an insult.

I was thinking of the same sort of figure Mrs M. Neil has said if a deal is to be done it will most likely be at, or towards, the end of the window. Would seem to indicate that it will happen and we need time to line up a suitable replacement.

Would people be happy with Garrido at left back, really liked him when he used to play regularly

We need to get rid of Olsson as soon as possible following relegation it was clear he didn''t want to be here. In the first game he got himself sent off and petulantly pushed the ref after not getting a move to West Ham. Since then he has failed to put in significant effort culminating in last Saturday when failing to defend against Cardiff for their first goal.

By staying with this poor attitude Olsson will further weaken our defence and influence a bad attitude for our players.

Don''t care how much we can get offer him to Palace for bargain price in place of the Swansea LB they are chasing.

He wants to be in the premier league and is a very good LB in the premier league, which we saw last season. It''s the same when he was in the championship with Blackburn, they said his heart wasn''t in it despite being very good in the prem and were happy to get around £2m for him.

It''s like he''s only giving 60% atm, it''s up to Neil if he wants to cash in. In the championship there''s not much difference between Garrido and Olsson so we may well see him go, would prefer it to be Garrido though as he''s more error prone, whereas Olsson just looks a bit half @rsed and lazy.

Players are all different.  Some will give of their best whatever league they are in and the player that has impressed me the most this season from that point of view is Tettey, with some superb performances through the season.   Johnson too, even though he is not my favourite player.  Ollson has appeared to be less "up for it" in this league.  There maybe all sorts of reasons for that, but if he has gone stale or lost interest, then it is best he goes and refreshes his career - and we get someone in who will show enough desire and application for where we are now. 

Quite agree Lakey, Tettey has really been up for it in the championship and he was one I thought might want to jump ship to the Premier in the summer. Moving on to Olssen I''m sure we can get a decent replacement or give Garrido a chance.

Garrido is too slow for this division now, he is good cover for this season but Olsson is a prem player and if our ambitions are prem other players have to step up including Olsson.

Out of our current first 11 he would be on the team sheet in the Orem, few others deserve to be

So the same people who would have Hughton''s lover, Bassong, back in the first eleven in a flash, would rather rid of a player who has actually committed himself to the cause under three managers.

And you wonder why we remain the friendly, yo-yo club despite very decent attendances?

P*ats.

[quote user="smooth"]Garrido is too slow for this division now, he is good cover for this season but Olsson is a prem player and if our ambitions are prem other players have to step up including Olsson. Out of our current first 11 he would be on the team sheet in the Orem, few others deserve to be[/quote]

You obviously rate Olsson very highly.

I like him but I also think there are times when you have to wonder if he''s got much of a football brain. And that isn''t something I''ve ever had to wonder about Garrido who is clearly quite a natural footballer. Garrido is a better technician but then Olsson does have that pace about him and he''s probably got a bit more "oomph" about him whereas Garrido plays more within his limits.

I doubt we''d be able to sign someone better than Olsson to replace him but there are probably 5 or 6 players I''d prefer to keep than him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2920792/Swansea-City-offer-4-3m-Martin-Olsson-Norwich-City-want-5m.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Apparently Swansea have bid just over £4m but we want £5m. However, it''s the Daily Fail so it''s just as valid as if my dead grandmother had written it.

I would say something like £4.5m would do; imo he''s a decent footballer so would fit Swansea, but he''s not startling defensively and has been caught cold for several poor goals this season. I''m not sure about relying on Garrido - Cuellar can play l/b as can Whitts, so we have options, but we might still need a replacement.

Swansea have tonight upped their bid to £4:3m but have been told Norwich want £5m ( Mail )