Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Frankie McAvoy comments

"Alex told me he was sick when he went down to speak to Norwich" - assuming he doesn''t mean under the weather. More sick that the offer had come in and it might mean leaving Hamilton.

"We''ll just be going down to Norwich ourselves and seeing how it goes. If it goes well, we''ll move our families down in the summer".

Ok this may seem sensible, as no point in uprooting the family if the pair don''t get on well here, but it hardly inspires confidence that these two really want to be here. Reading what they''ve said so far, they''d both prefer to be back at Hamilton together. Big fishes in a small pond.

I know we''ve had managers before who didn''t move their family down here (Lambert being one), but it just reads like a half hearted ''let''s see how it goes'', rather than a ''we''re determined to succeed''. If they fail - it''s a win because they get to move back home. If they succeed - it''s a win too.

I know what you mean about the tone; it doesn''t inspire confidence that they see their future here as being particularly long term. It doesn''t exactly exude confidence in their own ability. That said, given that so few managers last even a single season these days I can understand their reluctance to uproot their family.

What i don;t understand really is why Macavoy is only turning up today and starting on Sunday. What not have him in for the whole week leading up to what is an important game. Based on what i saw last saturday i have very little faith in whoever was "coaching" them last week.

Its all a bit shambolic to be honest.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]What i don;t understand really is why Macavoy is only turning up today and starting on Sunday. What not have him in for the whole week leading up to what is an important game. Based on what i saw last saturday i have very little faith in whoever was "coaching" them last week. Its all a bit shambolic to be honest.[/quote]

He''s working a months notice and Saturday is the last day of the month.

If you read the interview it''s quite clear he meant sick as in under the weather. If he was "sick" (gutted) about Norwich offering him a job he would''ve just turned it down?

As for not relocating his family Neil''s only been offered a 1 year rolling contract. In 4/5 months time he could just be disposed of.

They''re trying to do what''s best for their kids.

Stop reading between the lines.

People do rather seem intent on reading the negative into things at the moment - the story read fairly well to me, and you can sympathise that there is little point in moving a family down here if it doesn''t work out (see Phelan).

I''m not sure that we were ever quite sure where Lambert lived (did he not stay in Scotland much of the time?), and it doesn''t make much difference who they are or where they live if it works out on the pitch.

Given the average manager tenure it justs comes across as a common sense approach to me;

having been at hamilton for so long being honest and recognising a move may not suit (either for them or us as a club) is refreshing realism rather than a lack of commitment.

As far as timing is concerned I am sure that was simply a part of the negotiations that the CEOs agreed - we have phelan and holt in place to probably felt it was ok to agree to them having an existing temp manager while they sought a replacement. Phelan quitting changed the need for timing but a contract already made for McAvoy.

Doomed I tells ya screams chicken lickens

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]"Alex told me he was sick when he went down to speak to Norwich" - assuming he doesn''t mean under the weather. More sick that the offer had come in and it might mean leaving Hamilton.

"We''ll just be going down to Norwich ourselves and seeing how it goes. If it goes well, we''ll move our families down in the summer".

Ok this may seem sensible, as no point in uprooting the family if the pair don''t get on well here, but it hardly inspires confidence that these two really want to be here. Reading what they''ve said so far, they''d both prefer to be back at Hamilton together. Big fishes in a small pond.

I know we''ve had managers before who didn''t move their family down here (Lambert being one), but it just reads like a half hearted ''let''s see how it goes'', rather than a ''we''re determined to succeed''. If they fail - it''s a win because they get to move back home. If they succeed - it''s a win too.[/quote]READ THE FIRST BIT OF THE QUOTE.“I didn’t know Norwich had been in touch about Alex, he even told me he was sick when he went to talk to them,” McAvoy said. McAvoy is saying that Neil kept the Norwich job secret from him by pretending to be ill and so not contactable.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I don''t think he did mean sick, as in under the weather.[/quote]

He must have meant unwell. Why would he be gutted to be offered the Norwich job whether he wanted it or not ? Wouldn''t have taken a minute to turn it down and no one else would''ve been any the wiser.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]"Alex told me he was sick when he went down to speak to Norwich"[/quote]Change the quote and use part of it to put your own negative slant on it Rowdy - not too clever.The full quote......."I didn’t know Norwich had been in touch about Alex, he even told me he was sick when he went to talk to them,” McAvoy said"In other words, Neil kept it so secret he didn''t even tell his best friend. He added......."But once a deal was done he asked if I would go with him and it was an opportunity and a chance I couldn’t turn down.”Totally different to your version......"but it just reads like a half hearted ''let''s see how it goes"Thankfully, most people will look at what McAvoy ACTUALLY said rather than what you said.

It''s worrying how marked these guys are for failure amongst our fans.

Btw love how we are entering the "deliberately altering quotes and putting words in our new managers mouth" stage already though. Surely our shortest honeymoon period to date.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]"Alex told me he was sick when he went down to speak to Norwich"[/quote]Change the quote and use part of it to put your own negative slant on it Rowdy - not too clever.The full quote......."I didn’t know Norwich had been in touch about Alex, he even told me he was sick when he went to talk to them,” McAvoy said"In other words, Neil kept it so secret he didn''t even tell his best friend. He added......."But once a deal was done he asked if I would go with him and it was an opportunity and a chance I couldn’t turn down.”Totally different to your version......"but it just reads like a half hearted ''let''s see how it goes"Thankfully, most people will look at what McAvoy ACTUALLY said rather than what you said.

[/quote]Perhaps not the most sensible action from someone who wants their claim to be privy to the details of boardroom discussions to be taken seriously.

I certainly took ''sick'' to mean that AN  pulled a sickie to disguise his trip to Norfolk to speak to NCFC.Look. This appointment represents a HUGE gamble, not just for Norwich City, but for Neil and McAvoy too. If it comes good, and they turn the fortunes of the club round then everyone will be quids in . Literally.On the other hand, if it all goes belly up ,then NCFC and those in charge are going to be in for a very rough ride. And AN/FMc  who, up till now had a seemingly fairy tale, blemish free CV, will have large question marks over their ability to cut it at a higher level than Scotland.So I can certainly see why there may be some doubts in their mind. It''s only natural.

We all have doubts and worries Reggie, and if it fails then it won''t only be their heads on the block, but it doesn''t mean posters should start doing a ''Daily Mail'' over everything that is written or said.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Even worse than I thought.....Goals Against 12.[/quote]Just shows what a good job the pair did at Hamilton Smithy.

Really? To cover his whereabouts (Norwich interview) our new Manager LIED to his Assistant? Whatever kind of relationship have those two got I wonder? One not built on honesty and truth it would seem...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Really? To cover his whereabouts (Norwich interview) our new Manager LIED to his Assistant? Whatever kind of relationship have those two got I wonder? One not built on honesty and truth it would seem...[/quote]

Not married then Mustard ?

Thought not.....

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]Even worse than I thought.....Goals Against 12.[/quote]Just shows what a good job the pair did at Hamilton Smithy.[/quote]

Well said Lappin it up, as a relative newcomer to the forum, I am amazed at how many so called supporters are looking at every angle as a negative, I read the McAvoy quote, and thought here is a guy with his feet on the ground, 10 years at a small family club, excited to be moving with his gaffer to a new opportunity, not wanting to uproot young family as will be busy working and building a team to compete in the play offs if not automatic spots, so family better where they are until the summer.

Lets give the pair of them until the end of the season before we hang them out to dry.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Really? To cover his whereabouts (Norwich interview) our new Manager LIED to his Assistant? Whatever kind of relationship have those two got I wonder? One not built on honesty and truth it would seem...[/quote] Not married then Mustard ? Thought not.....[/quote]

I was married once. She lied about her whereabouts...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Really? To cover his whereabouts (Norwich interview) our new Manager LIED to his Assistant? Whatever kind of relationship have those two got I wonder? One not built on honesty and truth it would seem...[/quote] Not married then Mustard ? Thought not.....[/quote]

I was married once. She lied about her whereabouts...[/quote]

I kept telling her to go home but she was having none of it. [:D]

It should have been obvious that anyone connected with Hamilton would be a plague on our club. First Bryan Hamilton, and now these two jokers. Have we learned nothing from the laws of coincidence?

......and Smith must score. wrote the following post at 29/01/2015 12:33 PM:

Had to smile about him staying at Accies to smooth the transition period losing AN to Norwich.

Played 4; Lost 4 ; Goals Scored 2 ; Goals Against 10.

So that went well then.....

To me that says that Alex Neal really does have something about him. I think people are working themselves up over nothing here.

People are closely scrutinising everything to try and identify potential boooing opportunities, it''s the way we do things, apparently.

Probably a good idea to sack them both now save the families going to Aldi''s for banana boxes for packing.

Get in someone local from Wroxham or Norwich United